The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Transmutation Gem limit

NStunner
NStunner
✭✭✭
I currently have 1000 Gem and I have a lot of unopened Geodes. It takes up a lot of space in my inventory. I want to do Pvp and collect monthly geodes , but I give up because I don't have enough space in my inventory. Transmutation Gem is also a currency, why does it have a limitation?
Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on 27 April 2023 02:54
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because your expected to use them.

If you can't think of anything to do with them, transmute weapons into nirnhoned and decon them for a chance to get the trait mat to sell.

They have upped the cap from 200 doubt its going to change again anytime soon.
  • NStunner
    NStunner
    ✭✭✭
    When new content comes out, we use it extensively. Also, when I do a new build attempt, 500 gems are already going to go at a time. I don't see a problem with its buildup, let it accumulate.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Because your expected to use them.

If you can't think of anything to do with them, transmute weapons into nirnhoned and decon them for a chance to get the trait mat to sell.

They have upped the cap from 200 doubt its going to change again anytime soon.
    This, update gear you plan to use or is secondary, then transmute weapons into nirnhoned
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can reconstruct an item that you can deconstruct later and store the transmutes this way. Make sure the item that you crafted is from a completed set so you do not lose gems when you deconstruct. There is a limit for gems but this way you can use a storage character to store more gems.
  • NStunner
    NStunner
    ✭✭✭
    Stop for a second and think that there are no limitations, who will lose what? :smiley: Wouldn't it be better if we lifted the limitation rather than just advocating or thinking about how to use it as a solution?
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree - it's just a number, wouldn't take up more server space - but it's what it is. Given you can't transfer crystals, you really need an alt dedicated to storing crystals. If your mains stacked full, turn into maelstrom bows (25 for 25 on decon) and transfer that way.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though 1000 is a long way off for this PvE'er and I don't really need it, I've heard no argument as to what is harmed by eliminating the cap. My writ vouchers, gold, crown gems have no cap.

Now, that said, I'm ever so pleased that the cap was lifted from 200 to 1000 and quite pleased with the transmute system. But because 1000 is more than enough for me, is not reason to cap other players.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No need to raise the cap.
    Just use the crystals, don't hoard them: if you don't want to transmute any gear, at least transmute unwanted weapons to nirn (if you are able to do it) and deconstruct them.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Craft a weapon.
    2. Transmute it to Nirnhoned.
    3. Deconstruct the crafted weapon.
    4. Sell or save the potent nirncrux.
    5. (Optional step) Buy expensive furnishing.
    EU PC
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can transmute something (change trait), or you can re-craft a set from set collection you have completed. That way you can "convert" transmute gems currency into inventory slots that you can transfer to your bank / alt / housing storage.

One slot = 25 Transmute Crystals.

Edit: I think it is important to mention that "1000" = Premium. 90% of players have 500 limit...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on 12 May 2021 12:11
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NStunner wrote: »
    Stop for a second and think that there are no limitations, who will lose what? :smiley: Wouldn't it be better if we lifted the limitation rather than just advocating or thinking about how to use it as a solution?

In which case, you need to think about who the limitation does benefit: ZOS.

I'm at the transmute cap? Use it now to make room, so if I want more later, I have to play PVP or grind more dungeons to get some more.

My inventory is filled up with geodes or reconstructed gear? Hey, have I considered subscribing to have even more inventory and bank space? Have I considered buying housing storage or horse capacity from in game or through the Crown Store?

Yeah, it's not the most player friendly of choices, but that's really not the point of the transmutation crystal cap. It's to ZOS' benefit that we can't stack up unlimited amounts of crystals.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure I'd love an endless amount of transmute storage, I'm in the same boat as you. But it's not something I see happening and frankly it's intentional to control that part of the "economy". Forces players to suffer a bit to 'hoard' extra over the cap. I think they want the system to be more about constant ongoing gain and use than hoard a bunch and never have to worry about it again.

You can often create a few extras of things like mythics for alts to use some up though, it's nice having like a ring of wild hunt on each character for example.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're using 500 gems to reconstruct a set, you might want to work on your sticker book.

If you are at minimum cost, then 7 armor, 3 jewerly and 4 weapons would cost you 350 (and that's if you have 2 weapons on both bars)
    The Moot Councillor
  • allup8679
    allup8679
    ✭✭✭
    NStunner wrote: »
    I currently have 1000 Gem and I have a lot of unopened Geodes. It takes up a lot of space in my inventory. I want to do Pvp and collect monthly geodes , but I give up because I don't have enough space in my inventory. Transmutation Gem is also a currency, why does it have a limitation?

I don't think raising the cap is necessary. But, having the geodes be stackable would be nice.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can kind of get around this by using a transmute station the reconstruction of items. When you deconstruct them you get the crystals back not the mats used just the crystals. But... If you reconstruct Mythic items they use no other mats.

I have reconstructed all the Mythic jewelry for each of my characters. So that is 5 jewelry items at 25 crystal each for 8 characters is 1000 crystals total. Each Character has 5 items holding a total of 125 crystals stored on each character.

If you used one of the 60 item storage chest, you could hold 60 reconstructed Mythic items each holding 25 Crystals for a total of 1,500 Crystals stored.

Now doing this does not really alleviate the storage issue, it just moves it to another area.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The transmute crystals are to take a bit of an edge off the farming/grinding. They are not to completely replace farming/grinding. ZOS want you playing the game consistently, not in short bursts. And if transmute geodes had no cap, people would very quickly just trait change/reconstruct everything they need when new content comes out. They want you logged in and playing. Day in and day out. And whether that means farming dungeons and trials for the right gear in the right trait, or farming more transmute crystals because you do not have more than you could ever possible need, they do not care. Just play the game. All the time. Unlimited transmute crystals would bypass a lot of the constrictions that are in place to make people repeat content. And repeating content is what an MMO is all about. The developers simply cannot release enough content to keep players busy 24/7/365 without an incentive to repeat content.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think I've been told that you can't deconstruct reconstructed mythic items for transmute crystals. If that's accurate, I think arena bows and resto staves are a good choice as all are 1 item sets. I mostly just hang onto as many 50 geodes as I think I want as a reserve.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    You can kind of get around this by using a transmute station the reconstruction of items. When you deconstruct them you get the crystals back not the mats used just the crystals. But... If you reconstruct Mythic items they use no other mats.

I have reconstructed all the Mythic jewelry for each of my characters. So that is 5 jewelry items at 25 crystal each for 8 characters is 1000 crystals total. Each Character has 5 items holding a total of 125 crystals stored on each character.

If you used one of the 60 item storage chest, you could hold 60 reconstructed Mythic items each holding 25 Crystals for a total of 1,500 Crystals stored.

Now doing this does not really alleviate the storage issue, it just moves it to another area.

Never, never, ever reconstruct Mythics to store transmutes. You cannot deconstruct them, so those transmutes are lost.

It is far easier to reconstruct Monster set pieces that you have full sets of. Those deconstruct.

And no set reconstruction uses mats unless you choose to upgrade it past the base reconstruction. So the only thing it costs is transmutes you get back.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crystals should be sellable.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cap is absolutely pointless. Just create an item that costs 25 crystals and put it on a mule. Decon for 25 crystals when you need them later. All the cap does is create an inventory juggling minigame to keep your crystals at just under the cap. It's intensely poor design to have a limit that can simply be bypassed anyway.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cap is absolutely pointless. Just create an item that costs 25 crystals and put it on a mule. Decon for 25 crystals when you need them later. All the cap does is create an inventory juggling minigame to keep your crystals at just under the cap. It's intensely poor design to have a limit that can simply be bypassed anyway.

I would say, the cap is pointless, but only because this work around exists. Admittedly, a work around I am currently abusing myself. I do understand the cap. They want this to be a supplement to and not a replacement for the gear grind. A cap enforces that notion. Of course, it's all nonsense since we can make and destroy items at no cost to store excess crystals.

(Looks in bank and sees transmutes at max, 30 50-stone geodes from PVP and 30 identical 25-stone Molag Kena helms I made)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    I think I've been told that you can't deconstruct reconstructed mythic items for transmute crystals. If that's accurate, I think arena bows and resto staves are a good choice as all are 1 item sets. I mostly just hang onto as many 50 geodes as I think I want as a reserve.

You cant deconstruct mythics, or at least the ones I tried. I used a monster set I had all 6 pieces of, but guessing arena weapons would work too. Really, any item set you get down to 25 cost will do the trick.
  • Titanium
    Titanium
    ✭✭✭
    Transmute crystals should be treated like a currency instead. We earned those, why limit or cap what we earned? Stuff like this only makes the game more tedious when we have to find workarounds to continue to play the game we paid for.

If there is a limit to the amount of transmute crystals we can hold, then please also have a hard limit of only 1,000,000 gold we can put in the bank.
  • ZOS_Phoenix
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread given its age and given that some information may be out of date. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread.

Thank you for your understanding,
    ZOS_Phoenix
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.