The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Daily Login Reward Reminder - Some thoughts

wabuilderman
wabuilderman
Soul Shriven
I understand the purpose of daily-login rewards. It's all about player-retention. However, it feels insidious / disrespectful of my time to remind me how many hours are left until my next daily reward whenever I choose to exit the game. I've already decided I want to close the game, I don't need or want the game to ask me to stay.

I'm curious if this upsets anyone else. I know it's a rather small thing to get upset with, but it's a lot of small things like this that have really soured my experience with ESO.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think the timer even matters. If you log in before the period of the next daily reward you can get the prior one and then the new one when its timer runs out the next day.
    PC NA
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In what way is the message asking you to stay? As you say, it's just a reminder of the next reward and when it's due. It's never bothered me in the slightest, and sometimes it's handy to be reminded what the next day's reward item is.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I would like is for the game not make you lose a reward if you logged in but didn't pick up your reward.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would this bother anyone?

Not getting it. It’s not obtrusive.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know what is disrespectful or insidious about reminding you that you may be missing out something. That's very attentive and courteous.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. I'd never see that as "asking me to stay". It seems more of a reminder to come back. /shrug
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it to be a nice reminder, especially if it's a nice reward that I wouldn't want to miss out on.
    PCNA
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the daily reminder obnoxious. I don't want to be reminded I'm playing a game. It usually isn't an issue because it usually pops up at the very beginning of a play session, but if I happen to be logged in when it comes up, I'll go through a loading screen and BAM there's a big ad while I'm exploring Tamriel.

This happened just the other day, and the ad actually blocked a special animated area transition, which was annoying.

That said... it's something I can live with. I don't like it, but I can live with it.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    What I would like is for the game not make you lose a reward if you logged in but didn't pick up your reward.

PC players have an add-on that grabs the reward at login if you hadn't already, or as soon as it drops for your time zone.

The fair thing for console players would be to just deposit it into your current inv or bank, assuming you had the free space, and maybe a grace period to make space if you didn't.

What *I* would like is the ability to skip a day/item if you seriously didn't even want it in your collection, and resume collecting on the other side. There are so many pets in my collection just jamming up the page that I never have any intention of using.
    I'd even welcome the ability to purge stuff from my collections with the concrete understanding that deleted items are deleted.

Things like that make scrolling to find what I want more cumbersome (long lists of recipes and blueprints, too), as well as ensuring that everyone's database file is bloated, which has to slow access to the server down to some extent when opening a collection.

Bloated database files are one of the reasons guilds are limited to 500, players can only have 30 items/guild in the trader, and email/inv/bank collections are limited.

Edited by twev on 11 May 2021 18:22
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    I find the daily reminder obnoxious. I don't want to be reminded I'm playing a game. It usually isn't an issue because it usually pops up at the very beginning of a play session, but if I happen to be logged in when it comes up, I'll go through a loading screen and BAM there's a big ad while I'm exploring Tamriel.

This happened just the other day, and the ad actually blocked a special animated area transition, which was annoying.

This is a very fair point. I could see wanting the reminder restricted just to login and logout/quit.

Aside from that, I find the countdown very helpful. Particularly for those of us who live in the US and have to deal with Daylight Savings Time, there's always a transition period where I can't remember whether I need to log in before 6 p.m. or before 7 p.m. Especially since I have characters on both servers, and might still need to pop over to the other server to get the reward.
  • wabuilderman
    wabuilderman
    Soul Shriven
    Tandor wrote: »
    In what way is the message asking you to stay? As you say, it's just a reminder of the next reward and when it's due. It's never bothered me in the slightest, and sometimes it's handy to be reminded what the next day's reward item is.

"Are you sure you want to quit? Your next reward:"
    Asking me if I am sure I wish to quit, and telling me there is a reward if I stay is very much 'asking you to stay'. It's one thing to have a confirmation window for exiting (in case of a mistake) - but it's another to pair it with a reminder to stay/come back.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asking me if I am sure I wish to quit, and telling me there is a reward if I stay is very much 'asking you to stay'. It's one thing to have a confirmation window for exiting (in case of a mistake) - but it's another to pair it with a reminder to stay/come back.

Of course, every video game I play asks "Are you sure you want to quit" when you go to exit. Regardless of any other messages.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this is the biggest issue you face in your day.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's splitting hairs, to be honest. Every game asks for confirmation that you want to exit, and it's perfectly reasonable (and quite useful) to have a reminder about the next reward.

There would be forum complaints if they missed out the confirmation and just dumped you on the desktop, some might even complain if they didn't get a reminder about when the next reward was due and what it was, and there'd definitely be complaints if they put the two messages in separate windows.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the purpose of daily-login rewards. It's all about player-retention. However, it feels insidious / disrespectful of my time to remind me how many hours are left until my next daily reward whenever I choose to exit the game. I've already decided I want to close the game, I don't need or want the game to ask me to stay.

I'm curious if this upsets anyone else. I know it's a rather small thing to get upset with, but it's a lot of small things like this that have really soured my experience with ESO.

Yes. Does bug me. Not upset. Just bugs. It adds a step to logging out when I really don't want a step added. On PC, I use "/logout". On XBox, I can just turn off the TV and let the game time me out.
    AlnilamE wrote: »

Yes, but that would defeat the purpose of making you look at the Crown Store advert. The OP suggested that the daily rewards were for player retention. That might be true, but I have always felt that the real reason was to justify putting up the Crown Store ad panel every time you log in. This is why I use an addon that automatically accepts the daily reward and dismisses the panel. I never see it on PC.

Oddly enough, I see this on XBox every time I log in, but I honestly can't say what they are advertising. My eye has been trained to look at the daily reward and not pay any attention to that whole upper section. What messes me up is when there is an event and I have to do an extra press to get to the daily reward. Grrr.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • wabuilderman
    wabuilderman
    Soul Shriven
    There would be forum complaints if they missed out the confirmation and just dumped you on the desktop, some might even complain if they didn't get a reminder about when the next reward was due and what it was, and there'd definitely be complaints if they put the two messages in separate windows.

To be clear; I don't have an issue with exit-confirmations. I have an issue with it in the same way as if there were an advertisement being played on the confirmation screen. Saying that it's "helpful" is like saying that learning about a sale going on at McDonalds is helpful. Sure. Maybe. You do you. But I would get a bit annoyed.
  • cptqrk
    cptqrk
    ✭✭✭
    I see that "Are you sure you want to quit" more of a, I don't 'have' to log back in until after that timer has run out :)
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How dare ZOS disrespect me by giving me free stuff and reminding me when I can claim the next reward!
  • wabuilderman
    wabuilderman
    Soul Shriven
    How dare ZOS disrespect me by giving me free stuff and reminding me when I can claim the next reward!

It's a psychological hook, not a gift. I'm not angry that such hooks exist, I'm just upset with them slamming it in my face.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been taking a break recently, so I ran the game tonight to remind myself what that exit window looks like. And... yeah, I don't really pay attention to the login item preview, it's just noise on the screen that I pass over on the way to clicking "yep, exit".

So if it's supposed to be some sort of 'hook' to get me to come back, it's not doing it's job. /shrug

edit: and even if it said "new prize in 10m", I can't imagine ever staying on to get it. When it's time to quit, it's time to quit. The login item'll still be there for 24 hours. "It's almost here!" isn't any kind of draw.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on 12 May 2021 03:47
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the reminder. I've almost forgot a few times and was glad I was reminded.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't get this obsession some people have with "minimalising clicks". I'd understand the complaints if the logout required ten clicks, but not two immedieate ones. And the reminder is handy, and also it advertises free item.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • JARTHEGREY
    JARTHEGREY
    ✭✭✭
    I like the reminder too. I don't log in every day - so it's good to be reminded in case the next reward is good (i.e. Gold) so I can make a mental note to log in tomorrow.

The only thing that bugs me (slightly) is the lack of variety - quite often the items are of little use to me (personally). I understand everyone plays differently but I don't use poisons for example, so I have a ton of them that I don't use and can't sell.

What I'd really like to see - which I know will never happen - is maybe giving the player 'options' on what reward they want.

• LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminders good, missing rewards bad, YMMV
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see an issue. I just close any pop ups immediately with a button press, it's not that hard.
    they/them/theirs
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see this as a issue honestly.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »

That said... it's something I can live with. I don't like it, but I can live with it.
    To be fair, outside of log-in / log-out, the announcement window is shown exactly once a day, 15 minutes prior to CP enlightening is refreshed. This has nothing to do with daily rewards, this is just the time when the crown store items change.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine all the people living in different time zone
    Imagine they are ending game
    Imagine they can see 15 minutes to reward
    Imagine they can make coffe or something
    Imagine they can return to get reward
    Logout and do not think of ESO for whole daaay!
    Ohohohoho...

XD
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While it makes sense I think it's just a reminder, any game with a daily login (mmo) has this same feature.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer