The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Invited to party chat and immediately kicked out

SP39EMC2
SP39EMC2
✭✭✭
I was invited to a party chat for vss trial and was kicked out immediately. Someone mentioned like I was an Asian guy calling himself Thomas. This look like a case of racial discrimination don't you think so?
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say party chat, was this in Discord or a similar 3rd party program?
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its typed in-game chat, they have a record of that, also a screenshot helps, they can do something about it. However, anything over voice chat would be hear-say and can't be proven as its not recorded for the most part.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that few input, it's difficult to tell if it was a case of racism or not.

Was it voice chat? If yes, I have a possible explanation: something I see regularly are people who aren't confident in English (speaking and/ or hearing) and it combines with the fact - no racism at all - that "we" (including French me o:) ), non-native English, we can have (I have... :D ) a strong accent, that can make it difficult for others (non-native and native) to understand us. That can create a barrier in a voice chat.
    For example, in my other game, our guild is international. We regularly have the case of players afraid of joining voice chat due to English, or even leaving the team after a while, because they couldn't follow what we were saying.

Also, I'm not very proud of it but a few times, when we were running hardcore, we had no other choice than to kick some who were not understanding the voice comm, because they were not responsive to leader requests and it was spoiling the strategy, with death sanction most of the time. But well, that were some rare and extreme cases. It's more to give an example.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Lephrel
    Lephrel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SP39EMC2 wrote: »
    I was invited to a party chat for vss trial and was kicked out immediately. Someone mentioned like I was an Asian guy calling himself Thomas. This look like a case of racial discrimination don't you think so?

Before you jump to conclusions, look at other possible (and more likely) explanations. Could it be that you have low cp, did you fail to provide a link to the achievement, did they find a friend or guildmate and decided to give him priority over you?
    Why on earth would they even think that you are Asian, if they had only just invited you and then decided to kick you immediately?

Edit: It seems like most of your discussions are about being kicked from groups. In my experience, kicks happen for a reason and if you are getting kicked frequently, then it might be a good idea to look at your own behaviour in groups.
    To be clear, I am not accusing you of being rude or anything. Sometimes people are kicked for having killed the leader in pvp, for having low cp, for queueing as a tank on dd etc.
    Point is, I am fairly certain that there is a good and harmless explanation for your frequent group kicks. :)
    Edited by Lephrel on 11 May 2021 10:30
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible they just wanted your IP address to mess with you later if you screwed up. I remember when some people would invite you to their party chat, which would show your IP adress to the software they had running and would use it to ddos you offline whenever they felt like. It's a little more complicated now, but I still see some people getting their IPs pulled and being booted offline while progging vet trials to screw with them and their team.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not near enough information from you to even begin to discuss the causes of the kick.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible they just wanted your IP address to mess with you later if you screwed up. I remember when some people would invite you to their party chat, which would show your IP adress to the software they had running and would use it to ddos you offline whenever they felt like. It's a little more complicated now, but I still see some people getting their IPs pulled and being booted offline while progging vet trials to screw with them and their team.
    No, I don't ever remember that ever being an issue since ESO was released in 2014. What "party chat' are you talking about, ESO in-game? Please, by any means, explain how you think this would be remotely possible to to get someone's IP address when literally no one player has access to the server backend? Only ZOS can see the information you are referring to. I would love to see your technical version of proof on this but there isn't one. Unless a person is silly enough to provide their actual IP via chat or other means which is unnecessary in the first place, there is literally no way this is possible through the game client. Feel free to do 3rd party packet inspection while grouped which is what you are claiming here, or do the same in voice chat software such as Discord. You will not see anything other than server connections and data which you aren't going to be able to do much of anything with other than trace or latency testing. This is true now and in the past. ESO servers only relay things like positioning and other non-private information to other clients (players) which gives the multiplayer component. Discord simply relays voice packets. In other games where a server can be run by the community (source games, like counter strike for example) this could be possible by a malicious admin, so yes, it can happen in those situations. This is absolutely not the case with ESO or Discord, etc however. The servers absolutely do not provide other clients with any personally identifiable IP information, period. Think about what you're claiming here in this case; it's mere placebo, coincidence, or paranoia. Unless you can backup your claim about such a serious vulnerability with facts, it is purely conjecture and isn't right to spread such disinformation to others who do not understand things like this and looks technically lackluster and completely irresponsible on your part to those who do.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't ever remember that ever being an issue since ESO was released in 2014. What "party chat' are you talking about, ESO in-game? Please, by any means, explain how you think this would be remotely possible to to get someone's IP address when literally no one player has access to the server backend? Only ZOS can see the information you are referring to. I would love to see your technical version of proof on this but there isn't one. Unless a person is silly enough to provide their actual IP via chat or other means which is unnecessary in the first place, there is literally no way this is possible through the game client. Feel free to do 3rd party packet inspection while grouped which is what you are claiming here, or do the same in voice chat software such as Discord. You will not see anything other than server connections and data which you aren't going to be able to do much of anything with other than trace or latency testing. This is true now and in the past. ESO servers only relay things like positioning and other non-private information to other clients (players) which gives the multiplayer component. Discord simply relays voice packets. In other games where a server can be run by the community (source games, like counter strike for example) this could be possible by a malicious admin, so yes, it can happen in those situations. This is absolutely not the case with ESO or Discord, etc however. The servers absolutely do not provide other clients with any personally identifiable IP information, period. Think about what you're claiming here in this case; it's mere placebo, coincidence, or paranoia. Unless you can backup your claim about such a serious vulnerability with facts, it is purely conjecture and isn't right to spread such disinformation to others who do not understand things like this and looks technically lackluster and completely irresponsible on your part to those who do.

console party chat is I assume what they are talking about..and this is certainly something that ppl can do on ps4 at least
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wazzz56 wrote: »

console party chat is I assume what they are talking about..and this is certainly something that ppl can do on ps4 at least
    That is true. PS4 it was reported, but that was only for direct console P2P chat over PlayStation Network (PSN) and hopefully has been addressed by Sony since it was reported years ago at this point. The post was vague and didn't specify either way which certainly needed clarification since it has nothing to do with ESO directly which is the point I was making. Thanks for reminding me with another reason why I dislike consoles nowadays. 😛
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@wazzz56 How do you see a remote ip in PSN party chat?
    I don't think that is possible with out jailbreak and development tools.
    Unless you meant just the kicking part.

Now using a PSN resolver tool on an external computer or smartphone is another cup of tea.
    You could sniff packets with another device inline with something like wireshark but not on PS4 directly.
    Edited by TequilaFire on 11 May 2021 17:05
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@TequilaFire there are things ppl do to get info when you join a party ip addess etc....had it happen to a few friends.... they can go as far as to screw your connection up as well...I am very un versed in tech etc, so I don't know the how, just the what of it.....
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭

Now using a PSN resolver tool on an external computer or smartphone is another cup of tea.
    You could sniff packets with another device inline with something like wireshark but not on PS4 directly.

I won't give out details other than "ARP attack" your own NIC. Learn about the ARP table and how it works. This is really good for troubleshooting your own network and hardware problems. It also helps you understand what applications could be leaking sensensitve information. Lucky enough, a good application, or website, will stop operating if it see's traffic has had the encryption removed.

I don't see this info as against the rules but a mod can feel free to remove this post if they deem it worthy.
    Edited by Nastassiya on 11 May 2021 18:03
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OP's profile says he's on xbox one, so that's the party chat i'm talking about. It used to be a lot easier to just rip someone's IP from having them join your xbox party chat, but microsoft changed some stuff a few months ago to make it harder for people to do that, since in some games like Rainbow Six Siege, you see lots of complaints of people ddosing at higher ranks. And I know 1 or 2 people who do boot others offline in ESO. When a friend of mine was progging Godslayer a few short months ago, they'd stream the runs and the ddosers would watch and boot some people offline whenever the run looked really good just to screw them over. They had to stop streaming and start appearing offline before raid so the booters wouldn't know if they were raiding and the ddosing stopped. My friend works from home too so he was getting really pissed at being held offline time and time again because that's screwing with his job. A lot of people's IP addresses(current or otherwise) are still on the Xresolver site unless they pay the site owners to take it off, so if your IP is static and you haven't changed it in a long time, chances are your IP could be on the site and people can freely look up your IP on the website by searching your gamertag. Changing your IP works, but if you get into a party chat with someone using Octosniff, they can just pull your IP again and Xresolver updates it to your current one.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SP39EMC2 wrote: »

I am East Asian and yes people can be rude to anyone. Sounds like you’re better off without their unwanted company.

Luckily most people that play ESO are a nice....

Sorry you met some jerks

• scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OP's profile says he's on xbox one, so that's the party chat i'm talking about. It used to be a lot easier to just rip someone's IP from having them join your xbox party chat, but microsoft changed some stuff a few months ago to make it harder for people to do that, since in some games like Rainbow Six Siege, you see lots of complaints of people ddosing at higher ranks. And I know 1 or 2 people who do boot others offline in ESO. When a friend of mine was progging Godslayer a few short months ago, they'd stream the runs and the ddosers would watch and boot some people offline whenever the run looked really good just to screw them over. They had to stop streaming and start appearing offline before raid so the booters wouldn't know if they were raiding and the ddosing stopped. My friend works from home too so he was getting really pissed at being held offline time and time again because that's screwing with his job. A lot of people's IP addresses(current or otherwise) are still on the Xresolver site unless they pay the site owners to take it off, so if your IP is static and you haven't changed it in a long time, chances are your IP could be on the site and people can freely look up your IP on the website by searching your gamertag. Changing your IP works, but if you get into a party chat with someone using Octosniff, they can just pull your IP again and Xresolver updates it to your current one.
    Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. It truly makes consoles highly unappealing knowing how insecure some of their systems are implemented. It still sounds like the "solution" is a band-aid that will eventually be ripped off by someone who finds and exploits it. Unbelievable accessibility was put there due to lack of security (whether intentional or not) that has such vulnerabilities and potential implications being able to be exposed in the first place, especially when things like that are also a big reason why 3rd party sites like Xresolver are databasing over 3+ million gametags/ip addresses and counting for literally anyone to publicly lookup. I don't have to be the one to tell anyone how dangerous being able to associate someone's gamer tag with their IP address can be, especially when it can also be used to find where they are via publicly accessible geo location lookups. Yet with that said, these mega corporations still do as little as possible until 💩 eventually hit's the fan, and then they are only "sorry" for damage control to save face at that point --- otherwise, "read and agree to the fine print, because that allows us to not be liable for damages by using a service we provide in the first place". Typical. Pot, meet kettle. Seems legit right? Sounds like the safest bet for console users is to just be connected via VPN at the router level to not risk having their actual IP exposed in any situation. The companies that distribute their hardware/software are obviously doing minimal work while still churning out maximum profits. Sounds all too familiar.

Edited by scorpius2k1 on 12 May 2021 03:01
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARP attack on Xbox . It’s happened to me once on NA (I’m in U.K.) so I reported the guy to the national cyber security centre in U.K. and National security agency in the US and to Microsoft

Never heard from him again 😂