The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Companion Customization is Lacking, Making this Chapter a Pass for Me

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
What I most desired with the Companion System was 1) to equip companions with any of the hundreds of fun/unique gear sets that already exist in the game, and 2) the ability to FULLY customize my Companion's appearance. Instead, the Companion system forces us to equip our followers with bland gear, and we don't even have the OPTION to let our companion wear a helmet or hood.

These decisions are a major blow to the two areas I appreciate most in ESO -- build variety and customizable appearance. I assume it's too late for this feedback to matter (maybe the helmet/hood thing could still be changed), but seeing how lackluster our companion gearing options are has almost entirely deflated my interest in this system and the chapter. Does anyone else feel this way?
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate having to travel with companions as it is. I never take advantage of it in any game where it's an option. The only exception being SWTOR because it was just a part of the story from the jump.

So if that is the major draw of the xpac..I don't' see myself really investing in it. I'll get it so I can play the zone..but it'll be the cheapest version and I won't actually buy it until after release.

Also..if this was to steal some thunder from SWTOR and their companion system...at least they did it right. You are able to customize your companion over there to the fullest extent..at least when it comes to apperance.
    Edited by Kosef on 30 April 2021 06:06
    Server: PC-NA

Vincent Jurard - Breton - DK
    Aronil Elsinwatch - Altmer - Templar
    Ulfgar Stormbringer - Nord - Sorc
    Ra'Jhera Mahrabi - Khajiit - NB
    Kur Zahir - Imperial - Necro
    Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Lives-By-Sword - Argonian - DK
    Sara Willowthorn - Bosmer - Templar
    Elsa Bjariksen - Nord - NB
    Soliril Elsinthar - Altmer - Sorc
    Khargol Ogdum - Orc - Warden
    Veros Sarvani - Dunmer - Necro
    Vedran The Toxic - Dunmer - DK
    Hafnar Ironbark - Nord Warden
    Low - Level: Arcturus The Loyal - Templar
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have spent plenty of time with the Companions on the PTS, and I have made a promise to myself never to use them on Live. I can find no use for them.

The companions are Mirri and Bastion, and it's impossible to escape from that by re-imagining them as anyone or anything else. They won't hide their faces and they won't shut up. It's like travelling with a nagging spouse, but without any of the possible benefits. I am not going to put up with that for even one more day.

Their progression is extremely grindy. Their equipment is as rare as hen's teeth, especially jewellery.

Since I don't do Trials, that only leaves the zone and story quests for me in this Chapter. So, I think I'll wait to go to Blackwood until the DLC drops and I can do this year's story all in one go. Maybe the Chapter will be on discount by then.
    Edited by RaddlemanNumber7 on 30 April 2021 12:30
    PC EU
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think companions are the main draw of Blackwood. They're just the new feature and easy to advertise. The zone, new account-bound sets, and playing with others are probably the main draws for most people.

Letting companions use normal gear sets would make them overpowered and broken in a lot of ways, but I get the disappointment. As combat allies, they're not impactful. As story content, they're like extended side quests. As partners, they're talkative combat pets. I think they're best enjoyed for the whole package rather than any one role they serve.

Hopefully we get more companion choices sooner rather than later.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We will be able to put costumes on them (Bastian in the Nordic bathing towel is a hoot — dude’s got cool tattoos). And we can use the outfit system for them. Are you saying they aren’t customizable because we can’t alter their bodies or their facial features? I never use helmets on any of my characters, but I can see why some people are annoyed about this. Maybe the designers wanted a way for others to know who in a group is a companion and who is a real person...so, no helms?

I’ve played with them a lot, too, and I’m slowly coming around to thinking that they aren’t *totally* useless, at least, not when fully leveled and equipped with the most effective skills and gear. And I quite like their verbal commentary, so obviously player tastes differ. Maybe they, and the systems that govern how they level and behave, will improve over time.
    Edited by DarcyMardin on 30 April 2021 10:00
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From a mechanics pov they are useless. I still had hope for them from a rp perapective, but knowing they cant be fully customized I have lost all interest in them.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying they aren’t customizable

I thought I was clear in the first post. I'm not saying companions aren't customizable -- I'm saying i can't "FULLY customize my Companion's appearance." FULLY would include letting me put on helmets/hoods.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Letting companions use normal gear sets would make them overpowered and broken in a lot of ways

I don't understand why people think this. How could companions, who stand in red and have cooldowns on their skills, be overpowered and broken wearing the exact same sets that players have access to?
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be too hard to balance the game if companions were able to use any armor sets they wanted to, I suspect.

I really hope they'll let us give them hats and helmets though, and allow us to change their hair. That's all I want right now.
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have spent plenty of time with the Companions on the PTS, and I have made a promise to myself never to use them on Live. I can find no use for them.

The companions are Mirri and Bastion, and it's impossible to escape from that by re-imagining them as anyone or anything else. They won't hide their faces and they won't shut up. It's like travelling with a nagging spouse, but without any of the possible benefits. I am not going to put up with that for even one more day.

Their progression is extremely grindy. Their equipment is as rare as hen's teeth, especially jewellery.

Since I don't do Trials, that only leaves the zone and story quests for me in this Chapter. So, I think I'll wait to go to Blackwood until the DLC drops and I can do this year's story all in one go. Maybe the Chapter will be on discount by then.

wait they can't use our normal equipment?, i didnt catch that subject on their livestream....[snip]

[Edited for Censor Bypass]
    Edited by Psiion on 30 April 2021 22:03
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Tigertron
    Tigertron
    ✭✭✭✭
    I preordered against my better judgment and, of course, regret it now. I was hoping, not for customization, but actually some type of help in difficult encounters. Now that neither is an option I wish I waited for it to go on sale.

I agree. We should be able to apply our motif styles to them. Why not? I have to carry their gear. They die in seconds. That Mirri is a naggy .... dark elf. Maybe in one or two situations I may call her to hold aggro for a second or two while I get as much free damage as I can. But I’ll send her off before she starts getting impatient about me looking in my inventory.

In my option it’s a big fail.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were probably a lot of good ideas they intentionally leave out so in a future update they can be like "hey come back and play we added this feature!"
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • Darian_Rath
    Darian_Rath
    ✭✭✭
    I pre-ordered when I saw companions announced figuring they would be more thier counterparts in the single player iterations. However, ZOS has instead presented a half baked bag of progression nightmares that aren't fun or even useful in the content they are intended to be used. Instead of charging into battle with a NPC friend, we get to babysit Overland Mob Jr. that is barely even customizable.

This isn't the only reason, but is a major contribution to why I refunded my pre-order of BW today.
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... seeing how lackluster our companion gearing options are has almost entirely deflated my interest in this system and the chapter. Does anyone else feel this way?

I mostly agree. The inability to gear them with player sets seriously deflated my interest. But for me, the fact that they are outmatched by any content harder than overland mobs is what finished the job. Companions were to be the star of this update, but they really seem to lack any appeal. ZOS will need one heck of a promo / event offer this fall to get me to buy the chapter, even at 35% off.
  • Erelah
    Erelah
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    It would be too hard to balance the game if companions were able to use any armor sets they wanted to, I suspect.

I really hope they'll let us give them hats and helmets though, and allow us to change their hair. That's all I want right now.

Balance it against what? Two people as many couples play using two full sets of equipment? Those two people who could in fact have two companions out?
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭

This isn't the only reason, but is a major contribution to why I refunded my pre-order of BW today.

Wait? We can refund? How?
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erelah wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

Balance it against what?

My thoughts too. Companions with sets still won't be as good as a competent player.
  • Anthony_Arndt
    Anthony_Arndt
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what most have been saying. No head slot is a deal-breaker. I'm not even going to bother with them. Especially if we have to do some sort of reputation grind with them.

This sounds like all of the parts that we criticised SWTOR companions for in the beta with none of the positives.

I'm going to hold off on buying Blackwood for now. Between my wife, son, and I, that's three accounts and a lot of money for something that none of us are particularly excited about.
    ”Fusozay Var Var”: ”Enjoy Life”
    Life is short. If you have not made love recently, please, put down this book, and take care of that with all haste. Find a wanton lass or a frisky lad, or several, in whatever combination your wise loins direct, and do not under any circumstances play hard to get. Our struggle against the colossal forces of oppression can wait.
    Good. Welcome back.
    We Khajiit live and fight together, and our struggles will not end very soon, likely not in our lifetimes. In the time we have, we do not want our closest comrades to be dour, dull, colorless, sober, and virginal. If we did, we would have joined the Thalmor.
    Do not begrudge us our lewd jokes, our bawdy, drunken nights, our moonsugar. They are the pleasures often denied to us, and so we take our good humor very seriously.
    Outfit slots are disgustingly expensive.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us put helmets on them they'll not lose charisma or their character traits.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Letting companions use normal gear sets would make them overpowered and broken in a lot of ways

I don't understand why people think this. How could companions, who stand in red and have cooldowns on their skills, be overpowered and broken wearing the exact same sets that players have access to?

Well, I for one would gear them out in sets that deal AOE damage when they take damage.

I mean, if Bastian is gonna just stand in stupid and take it, I'm going to kit him out with something like Storm Knight's Plate or Leeching Plate so he can deal it out too!

ZOS seems to have wanted to balance Companions for a relatively low level of combat, and I could see where separate Companion gear makes it easier. If you need to make them stronger or (heaven forbid) weaker, there are less variables in play.

Also, can you imagine the whining if a player set got nerfed because we figured out how to use it to make Companions perform better than desired? This way, ZOS avoids the problem.
    Edited by VaranisArano on 2 May 2021 16:27
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand the no-helmet decision, is it really better to see cities full of companion twins instead of allowing people to cover their heads/faces so we can at least pretend it's not just a humanoid combat pet?
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being companions get one-shot at first boss in nFG1 I don't think anything could make them op. Maybe player gear would make them slightly useful for the 5 seconds they're alive...
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Wrath wrote: »
    There were probably a lot of good ideas they intentionally leave out so in a future update they can be like "hey come back and play we added this feature!"

No 1 rule on how not to sell big chapter updates lol.

• Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really excited to hear about companions, despite me not giving them any thought of them until I heard of their existence lol.

Not anymore though, that no helmet is a deal breaker for me.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • aurorable
    aurorable
    ✭✭✭
    The more I hear and see about companions, the more I lose interest. Lack of customization and how useless they are in combat massive disappointment. :(

I'm gonna be passing as well.
    Crazy Cat Lady
    PC/NA CP2600+
    Stamsorc DPS (Master Crafter)
    DK Tank (Crafter)
    Templar Healer (Crafter)
    Templar Healer (Crafter)
    Necro Healer (Crafter)
    Warden Healer (Crafter)
    Sorc Healer (Crafter)
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    And last.. but not least another crafter!
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So let's say you put a lot of Pet gear on a companion and you wore your own. You'd have a Morkuldin' Sword floating around fighting for you and so would your companion! You'd have a Monster Helm combating Dremora pet summon and so would your companion. Starting to see the picture here?
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I for one would gear them out in sets that deal AOE damage when they take damage.

I mean, if Bastian is gonna just stand in stupid and take it, I'm going to kit him out with something like Storm Knight's Plate or Leeching Plate so he can deal it out too!

ZOS seems to have wanted to balance Companions for a relatively low level of combat, and I could see where separate Companion gear makes it easier. If you need to make them stronger or (heaven forbid) weaker, there are less variables in play.

Also, can you imagine the whining if a player set got nerfed because we figured out how to use it to make Companions perform better than desired? This way, ZOS avoids the problem.

Actually ZOS encourages teaming up with another player to do content which is why they give XP bonus (for 2 but lose for 3). I think they scaled content JUST FOR THAT. So it makes no sense at all that having a companion with player gear would be to 'powerful' for content. And companions are totally lacking in AOEs which player gear could help. And anyway why is it anyone else's business how easy or hard overland content is for someone else, it has NO effect on them whatsoever.

And to go into Vet content with companion could become the new solo, where a no death means no death to your companion too so you have to figure out how to keep them alive too. On world boss fights with little adds I found clanfar tank, matriarch healer, companion ranged DPS and me solo build works pretty well. Obviously I can solo the boss without any pets but it is much funner with them. Next companion I want a sorc/warden/necro WITH PETS. I want 11 companions with several pets each to go with me into trials.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So let's say you put a lot of Pet gear on a companion and you wore your own. You'd have a Morkuldin' Sword floating around fighting for you and so would your companion! You'd have a Monster Helm combating Dremora pet summon and so would your companion. Starting to see the picture here?

Wow that would be so cool, I want 11 companions, with their own pets and BB. (why doesn't Mirri have a shade) Plus Maw of infernal helms, plus mord, defiler, scaven maw, atro ult, coldhrb fav, etc and take my army into trials.
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I most desired with the Companion System was 1) to equip companions with any of the hundreds of fun/unique gear sets that already exist in the game, and 2) the ability to FULLY customize my Companion's appearance. Instead, the Companion system forces us to equip our followers with bland gear, and we don't even have the OPTION to let our companion wear a helmet or hood.

These decisions are a major blow to the two areas I appreciate most in ESO -- build variety and customizable appearance. I assume it's too late for this feedback to matter (maybe the helmet/hood thing could still be changed), but seeing how lackluster our companion gearing options are has almost entirely deflated my interest in this system and the chapter. Does anyone else feel this way?

You can fully customise it - this isn't implemented yet on pts but you can already see a "compagnon" thing in the outfit station
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing the difficulty balancing argument and I don't get it. Companions can't be used in PVP so no one is getting an unfair advantage there. Even if you consider dungeons and , unless they really tuned up the AI, they still wouldn't be able to replace even a badly skilled player. The only place they would shine is helping someone soloing or a quick replacement while waiting for a fill. So what exactly is ZOS attempting to balance them against?
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazepdx wrote: »
    I keep seeing the difficulty balancing argument and I don't get it. Companions can't be used in PVP so no one is getting an unfair advantage there. Even if you consider dungeons and , unless they really tuned up the AI, they still wouldn't be able to replace even a badly skilled player. The only place they would shine is helping someone soloing or a quick replacement while waiting for a fill. So what exactly is ZOS attempting to balance them against?

Exactly and they don't even allow companions to go with you in solo arena's which on the surface makes sense but my matriarch is a better healer, my clanfear is better tank/healer and other morph of either of those is better DPS than maxxed out companions right now. I think until the companions are better than sorc pets, any arguments that they are overpowered in any way is nonsense.