The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Moon Acolyte nerf

• TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was planning on swapping one of my characters to NMA from Hunding's but might have to rethink. It doesn't seem a huge decrease but depends how it works out. For overland I mainly solo so the group thing won't help.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    I was planning on swapping one of my characters to NMA from Hunding's but might have to rethink. It doesn't seem a huge decrease but depends how it works out. For overland I mainly solo so the group thing won't help.

I literally just started deconstructing my Hundings...
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This single handedly is the worst excuse I’ve ever seen for a change.

It’s literally being done to push players into the proc meta.
    Yep. Tbh. Nerf to NMA does not "hurt" me that much. I play this game since 2014. I have witnessed.. well pretty much everything getting a nerf hamer "over nerf" happened to it. Races, Classes, Sets, Skills, Mundus, Traits.. everything. If I would "care" too much about it, I would left this game long time ago.

What "hurts" me though is ZOS's lack of effort to come up with at least decent argument "why something gets nerfed". This hurts the most. Not the nerf. But an argument, that is so badly made up that "Elvis Lives" or "Flat Earth" theories seems more legit...

...Also whenever this happens I feel like I am being treated like an Idiot by the Devs...
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean? We were clearly abusing synergies, I've got 2 yesterday rolling around on my stamblade in cyro, clearly broken! /s
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Briarheart for me it is then.
  • Lord_Sando
    Lord_Sando
    ✭✭✭

shhhhhhh dont talk to loud
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people wear NMA in trials and stuff? I figured trial gear would perform better, so nerfing this based on those activities seems pretty short sighted

It’s popular for trash setups, where FGD takes care of sustain if things are dying, and the line of pen is actually helpful since Crusher is single target. Nobody was using NMA for trial bosses though. And in terms of power budget the set was not overperforming. Seems like more and more changes are exceptions to the rule, instead of actually sticking to the baselines they’ve already defined.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's almost like this is a large group PVE based decision. Like they're starting to concede that Regen isn't that big of a deal in PVE. The reason why the number of orcs far outweigh redguards and wood elves.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets be fair this makes sense as the set was basically the new very boring meta

i personally would get rid of any sets that just give you a straight up power bonus without you having to actively do anything...its just boring design

Edited by Nemesis7884 on 20 July 2020 17:16
  • Prax3des
    Prax3des
    ✭✭✭
    I would be fine with the change on paper, but the reasoning given behind it is terrible and a slippery slope for balancing in general.

One, the sets that would have offset the cost increase (Worm Cult & Hircine's Veneer) were changed completely in this patch to no longer do that very thing. Two, it's fully flawed to balance this set around the idea that everyone wearing it is running in a 12-man raid complete with a shards bot and an orbs spammer. Why are you taking groups into account for this change but not other balance considerations?
    PCNA ★ templar apologist, "mercenarial dog"
    JUST SAY NO to faction locks
    Praxedes Amell ~ DC templar
    Arimenta Weiße ~ EP templar
    Cares-About-Map~ EP templar, AR50
    Loraumaire ~ AD templar
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem with it, is that in order to have undaunted passive bonus, you need to run 1 light & 1 heavy. If you run 2 Monster Set, that is fine, but if you for example want to run Snow Treaders - you already have 1 medium armour slot.
    You can run Briarheart as weapon + jewellery, but for an armour - running medium armour + Snow Treaders makes you miss undaunted the passive (as you are running 6 medium armour pieces).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on 20 July 2020 17:18
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather they just nerf something than try to justify it with some convoluted logic that only applies to a small portion of the playerbase, if at all.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets be fair this makes sense as the set was basically the new very boring meta

i personally would get rid of any sets that just give you a straight up power bonus without you having to actively do anything...its just boring design
    Personally I prefer to have a set that gives me bonus to my stats, so I can use my skills to do damage. If a proc set does damage for you however... well.. then it is true that you don't have to do anything....
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on 20 July 2020 17:23
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here is a suggestion to make it interesting.

Change it so it increases ability cost by X% for each buff on you.

Then it'll be less effective in a group and maybe the damage increase can even be buffed more.
    Nobody reads my posts but I'll say it anyway! :o

Edited by Red_Feather on 20 July 2020 17:27
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Briarheart is nice, but new moon 4 piece bonus is better, also 5 sec cooldown, however I will definitely not use new moon next patch.

GG for nerfing set to the ground that no one will ever use again.
  • kylermacdb16_ESO
    kylermacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So if the idea is that the penalty is not enough in some scenarios, why not change that instead of nerfing it’s usefulness?

Replace 5% increased skill cost, with 5% resource regeneration penalty, for example. This would be applied against any incoming effects from allies as well.
    Edited by kylermacdb16_ESO on 20 July 2020 17:42
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are the natch potes made of cake?
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's amusing how the reason behind nerfing this set is arbitrary and does not fit their spreadsheet philosophy. This is most definitely not the real reason they are nerfing the set. What about the solo PvP player?
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now we balance everything around trials and zergs?
    What do you even mean "offset the cost increase"? Wormcultist? That was changed into regeneration.

It is sooo obvious, they nerf sets that make people buy DLCs after the DLC has sold enough.
    I never used New Moons, because I find the cost increase hard to endure.
    Edited by Dracane on 20 July 2020 17:51
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change is uncalled for.

This gear is not run in most groups outside of the short trash fights, most players will constantly change builds to make use of it and drop it due to the sustain issues. I'm sure a few players live with it, but for the most part, it's not a wide spread problem even in groups, not to mention ignoring the fact that not everyone that plays this game is 'in a group'.

Seems odd that "oh, this set is being used, let's make it useless so it's not anymore" is the method of balance for this game. And frankly, any set that isn't a proc should not be getting looked at for nerfs right now.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    What do you even mean "offset the cost increase"? Wormcultist? That was changed into regeneration.

It is sooo obvious, they nerf sets that make people buy DLCs after the DLC has sold enough.

Yeah, it's a terrible excuse.

Anytime you are in a group, you are getting bonuses from other players. Why is this suddenly a rational to nerf one specific set?
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anytime you are in a group, you are getting bonuses from other players. Why is this suddenly a rational to nerf one specific set?

Reminds me of the time all drink buffs in the game were nerfed to be ~7.5% weaker than food buffs, because Bright Throat and Bone Pirate had slightly higher stats than other sets. Which is even funnier given that these 2 sets had to be buffed in 6.1.0 to meet the set budget standard, and still every drink in the game remains nerfed (easiest comparison is to look at Ghastly Eyebowl vs Lava Foot Soup).
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on 20 July 2020 18:06
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lets nerf a stat based while leaving procs untouched. This is just ridiculous.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will probably swap NMA to Briarheart. It gives 450 wep damage + heals (no proc chance).

The problem is that I run Snow Treaders (medium boots), So I will be missing Undaunted passive. With crafted set I could simply craft one in different weight.

Briarheart's 450 weapon damage and heals are down at least 33% of the time, though. The damage averages out to the same as Hunding's flat bonus (100 less than the new NMA), and its extra damage and heals have to be weighed against not always being able to control the downtime.

It's a decent set, don't get me wrong, and more competitive with NMA if this change goes through, but it really depends on what you're using it for and whether the fluctuation of the proc is worth it.
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a joke
  • puupaa
    puupaa
    ✭✭✭
    I just tested New Moon Acolyte vs Spriggan's Thorns on my current setup on Live servers, and Spriggan actually does a tiny bit more damage but NMA gives ~5% better heals. So yea, I don't understand why NMA is getting nerfed. Really smells like too many people are using it therefore we are nerfing it nerf.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A completely outta touch with the current state of live change. Players aren’t running NMA in trials it’s used in solo/small scale PvP.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alidel wrote: »
    Set was overperforming, so not surprised at all. Besides losing 80 spd/wpd isn't that much.

It is to my hybrid. Oof.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very easy to negate NMA's cost increase. It was very clearly overperforming, and we have been saying so for some time. However, given all the OTHER changes to set this one doesn't make a ton of sense now. It would have made sense patches ago...
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the excuse is bad but the nerf makes sense... in today's meta. but in the meta this patch is likely to bring? it doesn't make sense at all.