The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

New Level Rewards - Backpack and Bank Upgrades

ookami007
ookami007
✭✭✭✭✭
It appears that the upgrade ONLY works on the very first upgrade for each - backpack and bank. If you buy an upgrade to either before the character hits that level reward, you are out of luck

Is that other people's experience too? I thought on PTS the backpack upgrade would upgrade you to the the next upgrade level, as long as you had an upgrade level remaining.

Is this another "kick'm when their down" by Zo$? Like the quadrupling of the price of the outfit slots and not having them apply to all characters?
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ookami007 wrote: »
    It appears that the upgrade ONLY works on the very first upgrade for each - backpack and bank. If you buy an upgrade to either before the character hits that level reward, you are out of luck

Is that other people's experience too? I thought on PTS the backpack upgrade would upgrade you to the the next upgrade level, as long as you had an upgrade level remaining.

Is this another "kick'm when their down" by Zo$? Like the quadrupling of the price of the outfit slots and not having them apply to all characters?

hmm when I leveled a toon on PTS I recall it putting my invent space to 110 from 100, I wanted to test this exact thing.
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like less of a "kick em when they're down" and more of a "veteran players who've bought all but the most expensive bank slot don't really need a free one" thing. /shrug

Am I annoyed that I lost out on a backpack upgrade because I automatically sent some gold to my new alt and bought 3 of em right away? A little... but it only would have saved me 200g (or whatever the cheapest level is) if I'd waited. No big deal for anyone who isn't a brand new player. Meh, no biggie.

edit: the whole system is "help for the brand new player". Except for the storage box & the motif, there's nothing really in there for veterans. Especially since your average vet knows how to level a new character damn easily.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on February 14, 2018 11:54PM
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ookami007 wrote: »

Yes, I purchased 10 slots (putting my level 3's space to 70), but by the time I got to the bag upgrade it didn't apply to my character. My space remained at 70 slots. I'd thought it would upgrade regardless, but guess not.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only the FIRST upgrade you get for free so if you bought the first upgrade you don't get it later.
    Remember this is mostly for brand new players to ESO.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would appear that having an ESO+ sub will also disable the bank upgrade from level-up.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyAstrum wrote: »

Yes, I purchased 10 slots (putting my level 3's space to 70), but by the time I got to the bag upgrade it didn't apply to my character. My space remained at 70 slots. I'd thought it would upgrade regardless, but guess not.

Lets troubleshoot this first.

Log out of the game, reboot the PC, and log back into the game, only disable all your addons before hand. See if the upgrade is there.

If it is not there, /bug it, and put the ticket number in this thread

This is the first time hearing this, so I wonder if it's an addon or cache issue.

Edited by Nestor on February 16, 2018 11:02PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I had the same problem. I bought my upgrades and then found that the level up screen had removed the ability to upgrade bank space from the option list. I tried various things to get it back but it was gone.

It only works on the 1st upgrade.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordSemaj wrote: »
    Yes, I had the same problem. I bought my upgrades and then found that the level up screen had removed the ability to upgrade bank space from the option list. I tried various things to get it back but it was gone.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

This can't be intended. There are many guides out there that recommend getting the first two character upgrades on bag space as they are cheap and players can do that early on. Also, this punishes in some way leveling Alts as most people are going to get the first 2 or 3 upgrades on a character as they are so cheap.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS was tossing around some data about a year ago stating that most players have never upgraded their storage at all. They even used it as an excuse to delay housing storage. My guess is that this is just a way for them to say to new players "LOOK HERE. MORE STORAGE CAN BE ACQUIRED LIKE THIS!" If they've already bought an upgrade, they don't need the encouragement to look for it.
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering they sell bag and bank space, I'm sure it has something to do with not competing with the crown store.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what annoys me the most about this is that it WAS working on pts. you could get some upgrades, then hit lvl 7 and get another one on top. they disabled it intentionally or not - not sure, in live only. I do suspect that its intentional since they accidentally released pts crownstore onto live for about 5 minutes or so. which honestly? SUCKS. it doesn't say ANYWHERE that its first upgrade only.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really quite astounded. ZoS comes out with good ideas but then there's always a caveat. Always something that makes me /facepalm. Too much to ask that the upgrade merely adds on to what you already have, upgrade or not? Meh at this game.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS was tossing around some data about a year ago stating that most players have never upgraded their storage at all.
    Well, they said most people had never maxed out their storage, not that they hadn't upgraded the storage at all.
    Maybe if they made upgrading storage cheaper, more people would max out their inventories. They made it so insanely expensive.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyAstrum wrote: »
    Really quite astounded. ZoS comes out with good ideas but then there's always a caveat. Always something that makes me /facepalm. Too much to ask that the upgrade merely adds on to what you already have, upgrade or not? Meh at this game.

Hello,

I discovered that my backpack space is now being consumed by 'rewards' that i didn't want. Try-harder potions, or whatever, that can't be banked or sold. I delete that sort of useless rubbish now. If it can't be sold, it's wasting space.

The fact that I now MUST stop to process this crap is annoying and TIME-WASTING as it is.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I levelled 4 characters during the U17 PTS.

The backpack upgrade always worked. I'm not sure I ever bought a backpack upgrade though. I took the riding lessons off a template for a couple of the characters and used that, but it didn't stop the backpack space reward from working.

The bank upgrade never worked, even when the bank space reward box was present in the level rewards dialogue. I have ESO+.

The rules may have been changed for the live release. I'll have a go at testing the back pack upgrade, see what happens.

PC EU
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If this were intentional, moving the upgrades to a lower level would be really useful. As a new player, you're unlikely to research on the internet what levelling rewards you're going to get - but it's very likely that you purchase one of the upgrades quite early on. I know I did - the first ones aren't that expensive but offer quite a lot of convenience. So moving that down to level 3 or so would make sure that people would actually see those rewards.
    As I said - in case this were intentional.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »
    It's only the FIRST upgrade you get for free so if you bought the first upgrade you don't get it later.

It is still in a greedy way generous - typical for how they are thinking.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

This can't be intended. There are many guides out there that recommend getting the first two character upgrades on bag space as they are cheap and players can do that early on. Also, this punishes in some way leveling Alts as most people are going to get the first 2 or 3 upgrades on a character as they are so cheap.

It wouldn't be the first time a game changed things that are mentioned in guides, even official guides. If they think a system needs changing, or they've had a better idea they're not going to hold back just because people have written a guide about the old system. Look at horse training. Even now you can still find guides that tell you to buy the upgraded horse first, then which food to buy for it to train that stat first, and that system hasn't been in the game for years.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they deliberately limited it to the first upgrade. There's a huge difference between gifting a new player (or character) their first 400g upgrade and letting veterans save 64,500g by purchasing the first 7 upgrades before getting the level up reward.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »

It wouldn't be the first time a game changed things that are mentioned in guides, even official guides. If they think a system needs changing, or they've had a better idea they're not going to hold back just because people have written a guide about the old system. Look at horse training. Even now you can still find guides that tell you to buy the upgraded horse first, then which food to buy for it to train that stat first, and that system hasn't been in the game for years.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they deliberately limited it to the first upgrade. There's a huge difference between gifting a new player (or character) their first 400g upgrade and letting veterans save 64,500g by purchasing the first 7 upgrades before getting the level up reward.

On the other side, it would not matter, if you don't see the absolute numbers in gold - for a new player getting the 11.000 gold upgrade for example it would be as good as for the high level player to get the last upgrade. It is more expensive,but relative to the ability to generate gold, it is even less worthy for the high level player. It is much harder for the low level to get those 11k gold - and even if he just gets the first upgrade, he is then at least interested into getting more bag space once he has seen that - a new player might not discover early on, that he can upgrade his bag - so the reward will help him with it.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's disappointing, but I'm not surprised, and I will grudgingly admit that it is the right thing to do. Letting it apply any upgrade would mean that long-time players can save on a 64K bag upgrade. In contrast, I remember when I created my very first character all those years ago, that first 400g bag upgrade was something that I had to work at getting the gold for.

This is a system designed to help the true first-timers. First character on their first account. I'm okay with it doing nothing for my 18th character on my 3rd account.
    Edited by code65536 on February 17, 2018 1:00PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Noggin_the_Nog
    Noggin_the_Nog
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

I can confirm on Live that it is only the first upgrade.

I bought all bag space upgrades on a new alt - except the final 64500 gold one - and at level 7 there was no free bag space upgrade.

It is quite mean of ZOS and not what they describe in the Rewards.

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made two characters on PTS to check what happens to the Bag space upgrade.

On the first character I bought a bag space upgrade at level 3. No bag space upgrade was received on this character when it reached level 7.

On the second character I levelled it to level 6 so that I was able to see in the Level Advisor that the Bag Space upgrade was included in their up-coming level seven rewards. I then bought a Saddle Bag upgrade at the stable to see if it would have any affect, but it didn't. I then used 59 crown store riding lessons to take the Saddle bags to 60, and this still didn't remove the bag space upgrade from the up-coming level 7 rewards. I then bought a bag space upgrade from the bag vendor, and the bag space upgrade was no longer included in the up-coming Level 7 rewards in the level advisor.

So, buy one upgrade from the bag vendor and you lose the Level 7 bag space increase reward.

PC EU
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭

However I just got the mount upgrade for level up, choose speed. Used "book", client stated went from levl 4 to 5. Checked stablemaster, showed 5. Paid for mount speed upgrade to 6.

So at a minimum this is inconsistent behavior with the level up rewards.
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

However I just got the mount upgrade for level up, choose speed. Used "book", client stated went from levl 4 to 5. Checked stablemaster, showed 5. Paid for mount speed upgrade to 6.

So at a minimum this is inconsistent behavior with the level up rewards.

The difference there is that mount speed upgrades don't ever get more expensive, so it doesn't matter how many you have already taken. Whereas with the bank, were someone with more cash to take multiple upgrades on the low level character before the reward (like I have admittedly on my new alt), they could then save 64k. I can understand then why they would have limited it.

That said, I think the bank space upgrade should have taken place at level 2 or 3 at least to actually make it helpful. The first one or two upgrades are pretty cheap and you can easily get them by selling off junk early on, so many people do that before level 7. Just a bit of bad planning on their part, I would say, but in all honesty it is not a big deal. It only saves you a couple hundred gold, after all.
    Edited by Annalyse on February 17, 2018 5:52PM
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The difference is also that he received a "book". No one receives a bag upgrade item, it just automatically increases your bag space on acquire.
  • ZOS_Edward
    ZOS_Edward
    Community Rep
    Hi everyone!

The current functionality on Live is that the free upgrades for Bag and Bank space only occur if you haven't purchased an upgrade yet. This is targeted at completely new players who may not know you can upgrade these things.

You can find information about this now in these support articles:

Bag Upgrade

Bank Upgrade

So if you're a Veteran on an alt or a new player that happened to find out how to do this and upgrade right away, you won't end up with a free upgrade via the Level-Up Rewards.

This is a brand new system, so we appreciate all the feedback we're reading on it and we'll continue to take that into account moving forward.

Thanks!
    Staff Post
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The reasoning make sense. However, if possible, I'd change it to be available as one of the first X free upgrades (2-3, maybe?). The first upgrade is very cheap and it's possible that a new player will buy it on their own before getting the free one from leveling. The next two cost a few thousand gold and while that is peanuts in the long run, it's not immediately available to a new player, so it would be a good leveling reward.

That said, it's fine if it's stays the way it is too. The system definitely isn't aimed at people who know their way around the game or have veteran friends who can fund them.
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a "HOLD UP, YOU'LL EARN A FREE UPGRADE WHEN YOU REACH LEVEL [insert level]

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANNA BUY THIS?" when attempting to upgrade the bag for the first time