The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Blurry UI when res is lower than native after patch

ericcarl
ericcarl
Soul Shriven
I have a display with a native 1920x1200 res, though I run the game a little lower than that. Before the Homestead update, I seem to recall having a very crisp and clear UI.

After the patch, the UI looks blurrier and blurrier the lower I set the resolution. Before the patch I could have sworn the UI looked just as clear as it does at the highest resolution, no matter what resolution I was running (as if the UI's res was calculated separately from the rest of the game).

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Running any res lower than native makes UI text burry and difficult to read. I have to run at a higher resolution, sacrificing performance, just to see the UI clearly.
  • ericcarl
    ericcarl
    Soul Shriven
    Perhaps related, the intro logo animations for Zenimax when the game starts have a blue background after the patch instead of black. It looks like some kind of video bug messing up the colors.
  • Greyhaven_
    Greyhaven_
    ✭✭
    You are not alone matey - I have exactly the same problem after the homestead patch...

Like you I ran game in a lower resolution than native to help framerate. Always clear text in 1360x768 until the patch. Now all resolutions less than native 1680x1050 are terrible.

Support have suggested it is an add-on causing the problem (they would, wouldn't they??) However, I am curious to know which add-ons you use...

In the meantime I will look out for the blue screen.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure if it helps, but what are your settings for SubSampling?
    I also run eso in a lower resolution than my native 3200x1800 and noticed that my UI only gets blurry when I have set SubSampling to high. When I set it to medium or low, my UI looks fine.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not positive but I do think something changed with Homestead in how ESO handles exclusive full-screen. Before it seemed that it kept the display at native resolution and used that resolution for UI but rendered the scene at the lower resolution. Now it seems that it actually sets the screen at the specified resolution. If my theory is correct that would explain the change in the UI.

I am not at home to test at the moment but that is my observation. Given the issues with the bug around subsampling it does seem that they made some changes in the graphics rendering area.
  • Greyhaven_
    Greyhaven_
    ✭✭
    Both the above posts are on the right track.

True enough, if Subsampling is set to medium or low, then the interface is fine (but you have to put up with poorer quality environment graphics...). With Subsampling set to high, it now has a negative effect on the UI. This is only a problem for me after this homestead patch.

This is definately a bug because the interface is not meant to be affected by the Subsampling setting. I think the reason for that is what JasonSilverSpring says - the display was at the native resolution and that was used for the UI. Until now, and you just happen to have Subsampling set high...
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to follow up on this, we re-enabled the subsampling levels in the graphics options with yesterday's patch, so this issue should be resolved. Let us know if you're still running into issues, though.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to follow up on this, we re-enabled the subsampling levels in the graphics options with yesterday's patch, so this issue should be resolved. Let us know if you're still running into issues, though.

Really great to hear this, thanks Gina :)
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • carry_awn
    carry_awn
    I'm sill having this issue. If I turn subsampling on high, the ui is blurry. If I lower it the game graphics are terrible.
  • JustanImage
    JustanImage
    ✭✭✭
    carry_awn wrote: »
    I'm sill having this issue. If I turn subsampling on high, the ui is blurry. If I lower it the game graphics are terrible.

Same issue here @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Cert
    Cert
    Soul Shriven
    Blurry ingame text when playing fullscreen with resolution lower (1280x720) than default (1920x1080) and high subsampling. Text becomes normal when selecting low or medium subsampling, but this setting causes other graphics look bad.
  • Greyhaven_
    Greyhaven_
    ✭✭
    Yes, problem persists in current build 2.7.6.1412084

I experiment in the meantime... 1680x1050 with subsampling medium looks a bit like how 1360x768 with subsampling high used to look(!)
  • carry_awn
    carry_awn
    Greyhaven_ wrote: »
    Yes, problem persists in current build 2.7.6.1412084

I experiment in the meantime... 1680x1050 with subsampling medium looks a bit like how 1360x768 with subsampling high used to look(!)

Do you mean the UI looks clear?

Edit: ok I've been trying out some different resolutions. 1680x1050 was too wide on my screen, but trying out some others. So far 1600x900 looks ok. Lower fps than before though. :( I'll see if this setting is playable.
    Edited by carry_awn on February 19, 2017 1:54AM
  • highwayman138_ESO
    Cert wrote: »
    Blurry ingame text when playing fullscreen with resolution lower (1280x720) than default (1920x1080) and high subsampling. Text becomes normal when selecting low or medium subsampling, but this setting causes other graphics look bad.

I'm having this problem too.
  • highwayman138_ESO
    Still doing it. Any ideas?
  • Dimillian
    Dimillian
    ✭✭✭
    Still having the issue on Mac too. Low/Medium subsampling displays texts fine but the game look crap. High subsampling (as as it should be) looks good but the text are blurry.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Going to necro this thread because I'm having the same issue... I'm running the game on 1600x900 in order to get very high FPS in raids and when Subsampling is on Medium the UI is perfectly crisp, however, when I run with Subsampling on High, the UI is blurry. This is only an issue in Fullscreen and Fullscreen (Windowed) modes. In Windowed mode, the UI looks like it should look.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade