Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

HOMESTEAD BUG: Bugged quest "Motes in the Moonlight" prevents purchase of house.

Spearpoint
Spearpoint
✭✭✭
Do I want Sleek Creek House? Yes.
Do I have enough money for it? Yes.
Is the "Hallowed Moon" Achievement is a requirement for purchasing Sleek Creek House? Yes.
Is the following quest "Motes in the Moonlight" required for the "Hallowed Moon" Achievement? Yes.
Is "Motes in the Moonlight" bugged. YES.
Is it possible to complete "Motes in the Moonlight"? No.
Is it techninally impossible for me to purchase the house I want because of a glitched quest which have been reported bugged for about two years? Yes.

So, for some details:
I'm a bosmer, CP 330. Playing on PC EU.
I'm doing the Motes in the Moonlight quest, and I've let Shazah purify the SW beacon while protecting her.
Then, when I try to purify the other beacons, I get a error message in the top right corner, saying "Item is not ready yet". Both with and without Khali.

I have dissabled and re-enabled add-ons, relogged, restartet client, restarted PC (why not), reloaded UserInterface. Abandoned and tried quest over and over. Still nothing.
Repositioning myself all over the place - trying from diferent angles/places etc., not workin either. Tried to get help from others. Only to see that they succeed, and that I don't

Will attach some screenshots as well. Don't hesitate to ask if more information is required.

nrxmt9sj0cfo.jpg
Same error message oooover and over ^
dv7eaifv01yb.jpg
ug7ql6gtuelq.jpg
Works for him, not for me ^
wgli2uppzogq.jpg
lxoq5ddxcxdh.jpg
So close... ^

Edit: Edited title to be more spesific.
Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's working for some people and not others, it's not the same bug from two years ago. Is there an item attached to the quest that Shazah gives you? If so, you could try using the item directly rather than pressing E.

You say you've done all the things I would usually suggest; the only thing I don't see you say you've done (but you probably have) is abandon the quest, leave the zone, and log off for fifteen minutes to allow the area to reset. The only other thing I can suggest is that you try to do the pillars in a different order.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply, Enodoc!

You are correct, I tried the two possible solutions you taked about as well yeterday.
    Tried everything again, lots of times today - with the same dreadfull result :(

Every first time I attempt to use E on the beacon to purify it, I can dive into the Quest items in my Inventory at to see that the Purification Prayer quest item I was given for this speific task have been used, as it's on cooldown.

The "item not ready yet" message is a result of me trying to activate E again on the beacon before the cooldown has finished. Nevertheless how long I wait in between the tries, I doesn't work went activated from the Inventory either :/

Ahh - I even built my current awesome ASUS ROG gaming rig SPESIFICALLY to be able to play Skyrim with all the graphic enhancements mods I want. I simply love the beatiful landscapes of TES and ESO. I oftentimes catch myself wandering about, only looking up, taking in the ambient sounds and truly relax.

I think the ZEN team have put in an incredible good amount of incredible good content in this game, and made it the game I've always dreamed of. I have been looking forward to the day of Housing's arrival since the day I signed up for BETA-testing this game.

I has been three great years, but I know by myself that if I'm unable to purchase the house (it's not large, but not small either, it has a fenced in yard with good place for friends and guildies, a raised deck for my personal shelter and access to flowing water, as well as close by my everyday go-arounds - just perfect!) that matches my playstyle and environment lovely, this will put an end to years and years of playing TES and ESO. This will even effect Fallout for me. I spent soo many weeks and months building the perfect bases in FO4, and I was looking forward to enjoying Homestead even more.

I hereby shout out to @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert and anyone else eligible of fixing my broken heart situation - please lend me a hand!

Is there a way I can legitimally bypass the requirement? Or can someone in charge bypass this/change it for me?
    Edited by Spearpoint on February 8, 2017 6:20AM
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for someone to push you past the quest step, try submitting a support ticket. They can do it, but that doesn't mean that they will. But sending a ticket anyway will make them aware of the issue. You could also try again after next week's maintenance, as that should flush the server (make sure you've abandoned the quest before maintenance).

Edit: And put the URL of this thread in the ticket too, with all the screenshots to use for evidence.
    Edited by Enodoc on February 8, 2017 10:43AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RyanM

Yesterday you replied to this forum post Motes in the Moonlight is STILL bugged - after a year?!

Well, I still have this problem, and here is the new thread you suggested I should create about this issue affecting my progress.

Update: If I recall correctly, I may have started this quest for about one year ago, and abandoned it due to too many active quests. I'm not sure, but if you want, I can figure this out, and most likely down to a few days of difference from the day I might have abandoned it. Will this make any difference?
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Lol Brb

• hangin_curveb14_ESO
    Same problem with me. I have tried everything and submitted a ticket. No fix yet.

Sad face
  • Kaldaan
    Kaldaan
    Soul Shriven
    I am having the EXACT same problem. You're not alone. I already bought the Sleek Creek House through the crown store, but happen to be running the quest line. I tried everything as well. Not sure what to do. I submitted a ticket and got an automated response. PLEASE HELP! Just push me to the next stage. SOMETHING!
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so, i know i have moved thru that quest successfully at least twice since 1T came out. in the last months with different pcs and no bug.

only hiccup i recall vaguely was some confusion because after one of the purifies she wants to talk before you go on.

PC NA tho.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Kaldaan
    Kaldaan
    Soul Shriven
    I hope this is read. My OCD is kicking in and this is just eating away at me. I can't imagine how you feel not being able to get the house you want. I just want to complete the quest and move on. Also the quests around Dune aren't showing up because I'm pretty sure they follow after the Moonmont questline. I literally just want a GM to magically complete that quest or stage of the quest for me. I remember at PS4 launch (I play PC now) being suck on the Jathosgur quest for ages. I'm getting terrible flashbacks. IF SOMEONE FROM ZOS IS READING THIS, PLEASE RESPOND TO MY TICKET. YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE.
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    Huge thanks for your replies and support everyone! I can feel your love <3

Update as the case evolves:
    One of the first things I did was sumbit a ticket. A few hours after the first automatic answer, an Escalations Agent reached out and explained how he believed some effects stuck on my character may be causing this issue. Also, continuing with "As such, the issue might be with something going on on the character, not the quest itself."

The agent ended his reply with "I believe I got all of the effects, but if you can, try again and if you continue to have any issues, please let me know."

"Awesome!!" I thought, hoping the best for the quest's continuation, and my soon-to-be lovely house.
    It turned out I still had exactly the same problem, sadly.

Further on, maybe the agent was unable to remove the relevant effects due to Motes in the Moonlight was still among my active quests, and wasn't abandoned. Before I logged off, I abandoned it, and asked the agent to perform the effect cleansing on the relevant character again, in hope that in turn, it could lead to me being able to cleanse the beacons, finally.

I'll update if anything changes. So far, I'm sadly leaning more and more away from the Elder Scrolls Online, as this issue is a huge deal-breaker for me, my game experience and general motivation to continue enjoying the lands of Tamriel.

Please check out the natch potes in the link below. ** Under Quests, Reaper's March **
    PTS Patch Notes v1.4.1

The potes states how this spesific issue I'm currently having was fixed back in August 2014. How this can still be such a big issue, is completely flabbergasting to me. The same applies to why this bugged quest (which BTW is recognized to be bugged and not fixed in this post In-Progess Known Issues) - it renders me completely flabbergasted how a bugged quest can be allowed to still be a required for main story progress and purchasing a house.

Edit: made the potes link direct to the correct page.
    Edited by Spearpoint on February 9, 2017 3:15PM
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Lol Brb

• Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a few screenshots (very annoying ones, btw), that shows how I'm trired to do the cleansing of beacons exactly like another player. (This was went the supposedly faulty effects on my character should have been removed).

We did the exactly same steps, at the exactly same time. I also tried standing were the other player succeeded to pray.

Bottom line: exactly the same behaviour and approach, and not even close to the same result.
    She is already enjoying her Sleek Creek by now, while I'm chopping wood outside in -18°C.

Edit: Please note the "Item not ready yet" error message in the upper right corner, which occurs when spamming E on the beacons. This message pops up when I'm trying to cleanse it while the Prayer quest item is on cooldown in my inventory. Each first time, after the cooldown, absolutely nothing happens. Sad panda face.
    Edited by Spearpoint on February 9, 2017 3:08PM
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Lol Brb

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandnessen wrote: »
    Please check out the natch potes in the link below. ** Under Quests, Reaper's March **
    PTS Patch Notes v1.4.1

The potes states how this spesific issue I'm currently having was fixed back in August 2014. How this can still be such a big issue, is completely flabbergasting to me. The same applies to why this bugged quest (which BTW is recognized to be bugged and not fixed in this post In-Progess Known Issues) - it renders me completely flabbergasted how a bugged quest can be allowed to still be a required for main story progress and purchasing a house.
    The patch notes you linked supercede the Known Issues, since the known issues say it will be fixed in a future patch and it was then fixed in a later patch. Why the issue has resurfaced I don't know, but it's probably not the same bug.
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    PTS Patch Notes v1.4.1

The patch notes you linked supercede the Known Issues, since the known issues say it will be fixed in a future patch and it was then fixed in a later patch. Why the issue has resurfaced I don't know, but it's probably not the same bug.

Thank you for your input!
    You must be right.

Is so strange that I'm having the exact same problem that supposedly was fixed with the v1.4.1 Patch Notes.
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Lol Brb

• hangin_curveb14_ESO
    I have the same exact problem. I have gone through the same steps and still no resolution.

It is very frustrating.
  • Ylena
    Ylena
    Soul Shriven
    I got this same problem yesterday and tried doing all sorts of stuff. The purification didn't work today morning either. I don't know if they have fixed the problem by now but the purification finally works for me!

I had an idea that maybe other quests or quest items interfered with this quest and decided to try clearing my quest log.
    So I did or abandoned every other quest I had in the log and checked that I didn't have any other quest items except the purification scroll. I only had Cadwell's Silver quest in my log and then I went to take this quest and boom I managed to purify all 4 without any trouble!

I have yet to finish the quest but I gained entry to the temple and immediately came here to tell you since I saw this thread yesterday when trying to do the quest.

TLDR: Try clearing your quest log and quest items of other stuff and abandon this quest and retake it and see if it works.

I don't know if this is what helped me proceed but I really hope it helps other frustrated people get past it. :)
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    Still broken for me :-(

I tried what you suggested and abandoned other quests and still no luck. I am able to purify one shrine but that is all.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a few screenshots (very annoying ones, btw), that shows how I'm trired to do the cleansing of beacons exactly like another player. (This was went the supposedly faulty effects on my character should have been removed).

We did the exactly same steps, at the exactly same time. I also tried standing were the other player succeeded to pray.

Bottom line: exactly the same behaviour and approach, and not even close to the same result.
    She is already enjoying her Sleek Creek by now, while I'm chopping wood outside in -18°C.

Edit: Please note the "Item not ready yet" error message in the upper right corner, which occurs when spamming E on the beacons. This message pops up when I'm trying to cleanse it while the Prayer quest item is on cooldown in my inventory. Each first time, after the cooldown, absolutely nothing happens. Sad panda face.

Have you tried using it straight out of your inventory, instead of pressing "E"? I know that has worked for me in some instances where pressing in normal view doesn't work. If you haven't already tried doing that it's worth a shot.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Jekerl
    Jekerl
    mod
    Bummer that some of you are having issues. We'll take a look and see if we can determine the cause.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for the reports!
    Jeremy Sera
    Lead Content Designer
    Staff Post
  • Ylena
    Ylena
    Soul Shriven
    Still broken for me :-(

I tried what you suggested and abandoned other quests and still no luck. I am able to purify one shrine but that is all.

Damn :(
    Have you tried just questing somewhere else for a while? I did quite a few quests in between and came back and it just worked. I don't know if it matters mut specifically I did a few Thieves Guild quests, a couple Dark Brotherhood ones and the new housing quest to get the first free home and a couple quests in the Orsinium zone.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other things that could be tried....Disable all add-ons. If you think an effect may be causing it, abandon quest and log out/wait 15 min, then have something kill you (Werewolf has/had a bug that death fixed), make sure no costumes, maybe check/change skills in active bar. I have no idea, just throwing ideas around. Hope it gets sorted soon.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    This has been going on since the patch and have done a bunch of other stuff since. I also disabled all add-ons, and no luck.

Thanks for suggestions, but I don't think there is anything I can do on my side and I am getting no real help from ZSO :-(
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    Here is how my ticket support has been:

Ticket submitted:
    - Motes in the moonlight seems to be bugged. I have tried X, Y, Z and nothing works

Customer support (1 day later):
    - Sorry we are very busy right now. Have you tried X?
    If we don't hear back from you in 48 hours we will assume this is resolved.

Me:
    - Yes, I tried X and it didn't work.

Customer support (2 days later):
    - Sorry we are very busy right now. Have you tried Y?

Me:
    - Yes, I tried Y and it didn't work. This was in my first submission.

Customer support (1 day later):
    - Sorry we are very busy right now. Have you tried Z?

Me:
    - Yes, I tried Z and it didn't work. This was in my first submission.

I am not trying to be a jerk and I am sure they have been slammed since the patch, but this seems like an effort to ignore me in hopes it goes away. No "Real" troubleshooting or help has been done at all (it seems).
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    Interesting update:

I have had a hard time traveling to Rawl'kha. I thought it was just lagg, but when I deleted the quest, I went there no problem. Might not be related.......weird.
  • lysylya
    lysylya
    ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem with the Motes in the Moonlight quest.
    I've logged off several times.
    I've dropped the quest, ran other quests and re-obtained the quest, no luck.
    I've used the inventory item instead of using 'E', no luck.

The only portion of the quest that works is going to the SW Beacon because Shazah is standing there.
    Going to any of the other beacons has no effect. It remains broken.
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    lysylya wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with the Motes in the Moonlight quest.
    I've logged off several times.
    I've dropped the quest, ran other quests and re-obtained the quest, no luck.
    I've used the inventory item instead of using 'E', no luck.

The only portion of the quest that works is going to the SW Beacon because Shazah is standing there.
    Going to any of the other beacons has no effect. It remains broken.

Exactly the same for me :-(
  • Jekerl
    Jekerl
    mod
    We've identified an issue with the quest and are solving it on our internal servers. We will push a fix up to the Live servers as soon as possible.

Until then, if you're stuck, you can contact CS and they can help you get around the issue. They've already helped @Sandnessen.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for the reports!
    Jeremy Sera
    Lead Content Designer
    Staff Post
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    When you say "contact CS", are you talk about submitting a ticket? Because I have been working with them for a week now and nothing??

• Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    So here comes a whole, delayed slideshow, for no reason other reason that making it a creative thank-you to the agent.

The day after I posted post #13, I logged in, and almost couldn't believe how I FINALLY was able to purify the beacons! I still remember how enjoyable that spesific pop-up text was!

It seems that it the agent succeeded to remove the effects on my character, as soon as I didn't have the quest active, and logged in at least 15+ min later (though I waited till the next day).

So for all those who have trouble with this quest, please ask an agent to remove all the effects on the character, while you ensure that you have abandoned the quest :)

If I'm to believe that the quest was not bugged, and that I wrongfully declared the quest as bugged, I would also like to understand and be informed regarding the effects, and how they can effect a quest to make is appear to be bugged in the same way it have been reported bugged earlier.

Anywaays, thank you for making me able to buy The Sleek Creek <3

Now I'm currently only having problems actually playing the game.. Periodically, I'm not able to log in to my main character (haven't bothered spending more energy at NOT being able to play the game:smile:). Usually I come to the character select menu, and when trying to enter on my character, it uses 5-6 times longer time than usually, and then only gets disconnected, stating that were some sort of zero access to net, while I have full internet connection. I guess it's the same as many others.

It's even worse after todays patch/update. Well, I'm going to another country for some days of holiday, so I really don't care if I'm able to play the game anymore. I have The Sleek Creek House anyways!! :Do:)
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Lol Brb

• hangin_curveb14_ESO
    Still waiting. Been going on since patch and yet to get resolution. Multiple tickets submitted without any "real" assistance.
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    And the latest.....

From CS:
    Our team is aware of this issue and are currently working on a resolution. We hope to have it resolved in a future update! I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience during this process.
    Edited by hangin_curveb14_ESO on February 15, 2017 4:52PM
  • hangin_curveb14_ESO
    Yeah, good news.

Ben from CS did some work behind the scenes and the quest finally completed. Happy day.

Finally I can complete the string of quests and buy a house.
    Edited by hangin_curveb14_ESO on February 15, 2017 2:31AM