The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

click play, black screen, game stops responding

Glassya
Glassya
Soul Shriven
as the title says it all, open launcher (launcher up to date), game patched and 100% (repair hit and gone thru all shows fine), Click play and screen goes black with the mouse being a spinning blue circle thing and nothing happens till i try to click (did leave it at this screen for 30 mins) msg pops up saying ESO is not responding. Video drivers up todate, windows up todate, java up todate, game up todate. i've seen others post this issue but i have not seen one post about this problem from a dev. No other error msg's or codes, just ESO is not responding.

i also was one that on pre release had the "Grey" play button and had to get that TxT file from the Dev post. i would try that (dev txt file only) but i can't find that post or that file from them.

thanks
  • Nichya
    Nichya
    im glad to see someone else on the same problem :(

i were playing just fine untill the latest update since this i can not play anymore after pressing start i get the black screen and windows spinning mouse but nothing happen untill i press any button and get the message has stopped responding just like the first top :(
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/100926/launcher-broken-clicking-play-automatically-crashes/p2

This thread has a similar topic but with a staff response and everything. They want some more information about the issue, see the link for more details... Hopefully they fix this nonsense soon.
    Edited by The_Sadist on May 24, 2014 4:45AM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • HerbZula
    HerbZula
    ✭✭
    Yeah come on! Fix this ***. Your fixing stuff that cry babies are crying about when alot of people cant even play the damn game.
  • HerbZula
    HerbZula
    ✭✭
    sorry. Read the thread. there is no fix there. Also I am not gonna jump through hoops to get my game working. I did that in beta but not now when I am paying, wait i have paid for this month. Fix this ***.
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HerbZula wrote: »
    sorry. Read the thread. there is no fix there. Also I am not gonna jump through hoops to get my game working. I did that in beta but not now when I am paying, wait i have paid for this month. Fix this ***.

That's nice?

Feel free to do whatever you see fit, I'm providing the link for the OP and whatnot, they may find it useful and may contribute to it. Simply posting 'FIX THIS NOW OMG CUPCAKE' isn't going to solve anything.I agree they're handling things badly and I haven't played in 2 days due to, well, incompetence.. but hey, I'm trying to avoid flaming and bashing Zenimax completely. The last month has been extremely rocky, this may even take the cake for me.
    Edited by The_Sadist on May 24, 2014 4:12AM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • Glassya
    Glassya
    Soul Shriven
    the beginning of a 3 day holiday weekend i've been looking forward to for a while now. was looking forward to many hours of playing and so far the first night has been wasted because the game won't run, Great. sigh i really don't want to go back to wow or swtor.....
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is probably a stupid suggestion because you probably tried it already, but have you tried deleting your UserSettings file from your Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live (if using the NA server) or Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/liveeu (if using the EU server), then launching the game so it creates a new settings file? (or should I say, don't delete it, just move it somewhere else so that it is not in the correct folder - easy to move it back to the right place it if that doesn't work).
    The game now defaults to true fullscreen mode on launch, and this can create issues for some depending on the settings in that file.

I know you probably already tried this a while back, but wanted to suggest it just in case anyone reads this thread and hasn't tried that yet.
    Edited by Epona222 on May 24, 2014 7:24AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Glassya
    Glassya
    Soul Shriven
    at one point i moved it to deskttop and renamed it (in case i wanted it back) and tried. game still black screen's and blue circle spinning mouse.. interesting though is that it Didn't make a new file. not sure if that has to do with the game not responding right away or not
  • CKinCO
    CKinCO
    Soul Shriven
    I have this same problem on my system.
    The install and the game do not create my UserSettings.txt file.
    I had the black screen attempting to launch the system as well.
    I'm running Windows xp -64 bit on that system.
    I would be curious what OS you are running and if this fixes your problem as well.

This is what I did to fix my issue.

The new UserSettings.txt file post patch contains several new instruction lines that are not in the pre-patch file.

I believe editing your UserSettings.txt file will actually get the game to successfully launch for you.

INDIVIDUAL CONFIGURATION LINES/COMMANDS THAT HAVE BEEN CHANGED:

Command: "SET RequestedNumThreads "0" been REPLACED with two different command lines added.
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"

The following 4 command lines could be added to your UserSettings.txt file with no deletions.

SET MULTI_GPU_CHECK "1"
    SET DisableFXPrecaching "1"
    SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen "0"
    SET MonsterTellsEnabled "1"
  • gafv
    gafv
    I thank you so mutch friend ... i was desparate.
    you are a god to me...
    thanks again.
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    [Moderator Note: Removed per our rules on Spamming]
    Edited by ZOS_JuhoJ on May 25, 2014 10:57AM
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    CKinCO wrote: »
    I would be curious what OS you are running and if this fixes your problem as well.

The new UserSettings.txt file post patch contains several new instruction lines that are not in the pre-patch file.

I believe editing your UserSettings.txt file will actually get the game to successfully launch for you.

Command: "SET RequestedNumThreads "0" been REPLACED with two different command lines added.

The following 4 command lines could be added to your UserSettings.txt file with no deletions.

SET MULTI_GPU_CHECK "1"

i dont understant, im i suposse to remove those lines? cuz i have them all in my usersettings.
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • kellie68
    kellie68
    Soul Shriven
    I wouldn't change anything in the user settings file because quite frankly I have followed all the suggestions about how to modify it and nothing works. If you have those lines they are supposed to be there as far as I can tell. 2 days of downtime for me now - if it's not fixed tomorrow I will be looking fondly at Blizzard again!
  • kloensy1
    kloensy1
    use these usersettings. this one has the changes that CkinCo said to put in.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lines CkinCo said to put in are in the file after the hotfix for the true window issues they had. I am testing changes I am making to these two lines to help with the stutters:

But if I try to run anything other than DX9 even though all my other games run DX 11, ESO will crash and crash hard with a black screen. It will even crash my graphics driver. I even went as far as fresh installs per updated driver and nothing fixed this problem except changing the DX line. If your usersettings file has updated with the hotfix then all the lines in the post CkinCo suggested adding are already in the file.
  • frechettecalleanub17_ESO
    CkinCo if I could make love to you right now I would, adksfjasdfjdsah thank you
  • Niqeyu
    Niqeyu
    Soul Shriven
    I had this problem just a few moments ago and edited the .ini file. i only had to add one line, DisableFxPrecaching. strangely enough the two RequestedNum lines were set to -1. changed it to 0 and the game worked.
    thanks.
  • monster_30_80b14_ESO
    monster_30_80b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    AreoHotah wrote: »
    CKinCO wrote: »

SET MULTI_GPU_CHECK "1"

i dont understant, im i suposse to remove those lines? cuz i have them all in my usersettings.

• monster_30_80b14_ESO
    monster_30_80b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    CKinCO- That got my to quit not responding.