Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why not introduce diving under water in ESO?

Xinz'r
Xinz'r
✭✭✭
Most of you played at least one The Elder Scrolls game before ESO and you certainly sometimes went underwater. It doesn't matter if it was for exploring, hiding, sneaking or for some quest, you probably liked it. In TES games I didn't think it was important, but now in ESO I really miss this feature.

I don't know what else to say about this, and I simply wanted to give you all something to think about. Here are some pictures from previous TES games:

TES III : Morrowind
gfs_79907_2_43.jpg

TES IV : Oblivion
17411-2-1212111002.jpg

TES V : Skyrim
maxresdefault.jpg

What do you guys think?
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are hundreds maybe thousands of posts on this. Most people want it. It's just too much work or some such crap.
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but I think it would be worth it for them.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. It may have been on release or soon after but not now. Now it's all about silly hats and mounts. Spending time and money on something they can't sell is not beneficial :'( .
  • LordSkyKnight
    LordSkyKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a good idea. Not only would they have to add on new areas for underwater zones but they would have to go back through every single area and change the way water works, lakes, and rivers work. I think it is a massive waste of resources and I think not as many people really care about it as you may think. I would rather them spend time on creating new overland zones, dungeons, and caves to explore.
    "And it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word "monetized" exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for - with our system, they get it all."
    - Matt Firor
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a good idea. Not only would they have to add on new areas for underwater zones but they would have to go back through every single area and change the way water works, lakes, and rivers work. I think it is a massive waste of resources and I think not as many people really care about it as you may think. I would rather them spend time on creating new overland zones, dungeons, and caves to explore.

I have to agree, but then it's Zenimax's enormous mistake that they didn't make it before. Such an MMORPG to miss feature like this :(
    Edited by Xinz'r on 4 April 2015 15:47
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts on it exactly.

In broad terms, there are 2 kinds of devs (there are actually more, but I'm keeping this very generic): those who work on development of game assets (maps, models, textures, etc), and those who work on game mechanics. This would require both of those types of dev to work on. That means that developing diving underwater would take people away from working on new content AND take people away from working on bug fixes/balance issues.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go under water; here's a screen shot of my character underwater in the Haven harbor in Grahtwood.

2myr9mf.jpg
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    RSram wrote: »
    You can go under water; here's a screen shot of my character underwater in the Haven harbor in Grahtwood.

2myr9mf.jpg

Bug
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2myr9mf.jpg
    And this shows exactly the problem with the idea: there's nothing there. It hasn't been contoured beyond the minimum that was needed to make the water deep enough to require swimming where desired. There are no rocks, no seaweed, no details. All of that would have to be created, and that would take dev time away from developing zones and delves and the like where people will actually go. Yes, some people would swim underwater to explore wherever they can (I'm one of them), but not everyone would, and even amongst those who would most will only do it here and there. That means that if they developed the underwater areas, most of that development would never be seen by the majority of players. So why do it, when you can spend the same amount of dev time and effort creating areas that most players will actually go to?
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly this would require a rebuild on the games core to add it. Or at least an addition to the core that would take months. Though it seems nice we all know argonianas would be OP due to water breathing lol.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

2myr9mf.jpg
    And this shows exactly the problem with the idea: there's nothing there. It hasn't been contoured beyond the minimum that was needed to make the water deep enough to require swimming where desired. There are no rocks, no seaweed, no details. All of that would have to be created, and that would take dev time away from developing zones and delves and the like where people will actually go. Yes, some people would swim underwater to explore wherever they can (I'm one of them), but not everyone would, and even amongst those who would most will only do it here and there. That means that if they developed the underwater areas, most of that development would never be seen by the majority of players. So why do it, when you can spend the same amount of dev time and effort creating areas that most players will actually go to?

Although I would like to see underwater quests, you do bring up an excellent point. I would be just satisfied if my pets and horse would swim along with me, instead of popping in and out when I traverse water. That should be doable.
    Edited by RSram on 4 April 2015 15:51
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will never ever see diving in ESO. It's like in SW:TOR, you can't dive there as well.

If you really want to have great underwater zones, play Guild Wars 2.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphyel wrote: »
    We will never ever see diving in ESO. It's like in SW:TOR, you can't dive there as well.

If you really want to have great underwater zones, play Guild Wars 2.

Does SWOTOR have oceans and past games in which underwater environments were a pretty integral part of some of the gameplay? Did KOTR have underwater segments?
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following is an excerpt from my Water Overhaul post that can be found here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/147216/water-overhaul-suggestion
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Underwater Environments

An often requested feature for ESO is the ability to swim underwater. Underwater environments have been prominent in both MMOs and TES games, so the exclusion from the game seems like a gross oversight. Once the mechanics of underwater swimming are added to ESO, the various underwater environments around Tamriel could be added over time. Not every single swimmable body of water needs to have a fully realized underwater environment as soon as the system is released.

Obviously, every race but the Argonians should have a breath meter when underwater. Special potions, enchantments and skills could increase the length of the breath meter.

Underwater environments should offer Material Farming, Treasure Chests, Entrances and Enemies.

New materials should be added for
    • Chitin and Morag Tong Motifs
    • Water based Enchantments (including water breathing)
    • Water based potions (including water breathing)
    • Water based provisioning (Slaughterfish stew)

Treasure Chests should be a prominent part of underwater exploration. Both visible and buried treasures with maps should be included. They could be found in shipwrecks, hidden in reefs, or just out in the open. This doesn’t mean that treasure chests should be the only means of item discovery. There could also be wardrobes, desks, dressers, boxes, and barrels from shipwrecks along the ocean floor.

Entrances to underwater caves and delves could lead players to waterlogged dungeons and pirate hideouts, leading to new quests and storylines.

Just as on land, there should be water-based enemies for the player to battle. Slaughterfish schools should approach and attack the player, just as they do now, but they should be a visible swarm that the player can attack. Of course, the battle would be futile and the swarm would be a never-ending onslaught, but it would be fun for a player to see how long they can survive! There could even be a leaderboard for the number of Slaughterfish killed.

A few enemies should be able to follow the player into and out of the water, such as Land Dreughs and Crocodiles.

Pets shouldn’t swim underwater with the player but should act the same way they currently do when a player goes swimming.

Each zone should have a water based Area Boss with an achievement for killing all water-bosses. In fact, the underwater achievements should treat the underwater areas as their own “zone” so the player must travel the breadth of Tamriel to complete all tasks and retrieve achievements.

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    I think @Gidorick has a point and said everything I meant in detail.
    Edited by Xinz'r on 4 April 2015 16:43
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Bookwyrm
    Bookwyrm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm honestly good with the "no underwater" thing. I understand that there has been underwater content in at least the majority of the ES games of the past (all the ones I've played all the way through, anyway), but I've never been a fan of underwater content. And I feel like it's a ploy in MMOs..."Oh look, we've created brand new content, never-before-seen!" "Really? What is it?" "It's ALL UNDERWATER." Wow. No one has ever done that before.

I also agree that I would rather have them working on brand new content exploring terrestrial worlds we've not seen yet. There are so many places to go in Tamriel, why revisit the same ones just to go underwater?
    Don't talk to me! I'm a shrub. - Frozen Man
    Bookwyrm - The Thread Killer
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol. Thanks @Xinz'r. We really do all want underwater content.

I was VERY surprised when I got into ESO Beta and I couldn't go underwater, so much so that it made me second guess my pre-order. Obviously I still bought ESO but without underwater gameplay, ESO just feels... incomplete.

Add on the knowledge that the ESO engine was MADE by ZOS for ESO and the face-palming of some of the design decisions reaches epic proportions. non sittable chairs, non functioning ladders, only one reflection in the water for the moons. what?!?

I'm crossing my fingers that we will some day get underwater content but I wouldn't hold my breath (hehe), a game developer that relies on cash shop sales they aren't going to spend time making sweeping world-changing mechanics that they can't charge for. At BEST they will give us a DLC pack in which we get a ring of underwater breathing and an entire underwater zone. At which point they will parade it around as indication that they listened to the community but in reality that is NOT what we want. We want open sub-surface gameplay.

The hope for every body of water deep enough to swim in being enabled for underwater swimming is pretty much dead.

Not unless they are going to have a prompt when a player tries to dive underwater "Underwater Environments are available in the Aquaborn DLC pack. Buy now!"
    Edited by Gidorick on 4 April 2015 17:10
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Bookwyrm
    Bookwyrm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not unless they are going to have a prompt when a player tries to dive underwater "Underwater Environments are available in the Aquaborn DLC pack. Buy now!"

While I disagree about wanting underwater diving (just a personal preference), I just have to say..."Aquaborn"...lol. That was priceless. Have an awesome on me.
    Don't talk to me! I'm a shrub. - Frozen Man
    Bookwyrm - The Thread Killer
  • timborggrenlarsenb16_ESO
    Xinz'r wrote: »
    Most of you played at least one The Elder Scrolls game before ESO and you certainly sometimes went underwater. It doesn't matter if it was for exploring, hiding, sneaking or for some quest, you probably liked it. In TES games I didn't think it was important, but now in ESO I really miss this feature.

I don't know what else to say about this, and I simply wanted to give you all something to think about. Here are some pictures from previous TES games:

TES III : Morrowind
    gfs_79907_2_43.jpg

TES IV : Oblivion
    17411-2-1212111002.jpg

TES V : Skyrim
    maxresdefault.jpg

What do you guys think?

Your right, but it will not happen, they simply just took another easy way out when it come to adventure.
    FFFRRREEEDDDOOOMMM!!!
    - Be Anyone.
    - Do Anything.
    - Go Anywhere.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Xinz'r ... Daggerfall had underwater gameplay also. So that makes ESO the first Elder Scrolls game since Arena to NOT have underwater gameplay. Yikes. :worried:
    2mxpp1t.png
    seacave1.gif
    Edited by Gidorick on 4 April 2015 18:28
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love for this to be implemented of course, but there isn't even a specific animation for harvesting nodes while swimming in deep water. Your character just stands there for a while ... and tadaaa! a potency rune!
    In ESO water is just here to look pretty from a distance.
    Wololo.
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidorick What's your ESO account username? I'd like to add you ingame as a friend, if you agree.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    And since this topic has more than 200 views, take a look at this please:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/162622/new-guild-blackrose-cartel-introduction#latest
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Kalfis
    Kalfis
    ✭✭✭✭
    nononono! ZOE will not focus on mah preciousz spellcraftingz if they add underwater content!
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    Kalfis wrote: »
    nononono! ZOE will not focus on mah preciousz spellcraftingz if they add underwater content!
    -.-
    Edited by Xinz'r on 4 April 2015 19:43
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    Sadly this would require a rebuild on the games core to add it. Or at least an addition to the core that would take months. Though it seems nice we all know argonianas would be OP due to water breathing lol.

The game needs a core rebuild. Not having underwater scenarios takes away so many interesting possibilities in a MMO world, like going through a dangerous water filled cavern to get to a dungeon entrance. PvP would be awesome if some keeps had underwater entrances so you could stage sneak attacks. And Argonians being deadly underwater fighters would be awesome!!
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    Messy1 wrote: »
    The game needs a core rebuild. Not having underwater scenarios takes away so many interesting possibilities in a MMO world, like going through a dangerous water filled cavern to get to a dungeon entrance. PvP would be awesome if some keeps had underwater entrances so you could stage sneak attacks. And Argonians being deadly underwater fighters would be awesome!!
    +1
    Edited by Xinz'r on 4 April 2015 20:18
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Xinz'r ... Daggerfall had underwater gameplay also. So that makes ESO the first Elder Scrolls game since Arena to NOT have underwater gameplay. Yikes. :worried:
    2mxpp1t.png
    seacave1.gif

Good god you are right. UNDERWATER ADVENTURE now!!!
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we will see it in a future dlc. Matt Firor knows well about underwater content , it was added in Daoc about 2-3 Years after its release, with Trial o Atlantis, underwater dungeons ,bosses and contents.
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, I don't see a point in developing a game that is not even nearly finished. They didn't release Thieves Guild, Dak Brotherhood, swimming underwater and some other things and they plan to develop new areas and things like that. I don't know, but IMO they should first complete the game and then continue to upgrade it then to upgrade an incomplete game :(

I hope you get what I want to say. English isn't my first language so I don't have a very big vocabulary.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬