The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Shared house ownership after marriage

justAperon
justAperon
Soul Shriven
I just recenly married in-game, and afterwards talked with my 'wife' about how nice it would be if we could share the same house. It would just add a slight touch of reality to it, and it would really just be nice if a married couple could share the same house. That would of course mean that both would need access to everything in the house, no matter if chests or just being able to log in and spawn in the other's house.
Then there is of course the problem with bound armor for example. Will one not be able to put that in the chests then, or will they be able to put bound stuff in the chest, but the other can't take it out?
Well, it's just an idea that would be nice to have, of which I don't know the troubles of implementing :D
Edited by ZOS_JensR on 8 February 2021 19:18
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    justAperon wrote: »
    I just recenly married in-game, and afterwards talked with my 'wife' about how nice it would be if we could share the same house. It would just add a slight touch of reality to it, and it would really just be nice if a married couple could share the same house. That would of course mean that both would need access to everything in the house, no matter if chests or just being able to log in and spawn in the other's house.

It's not completely what you're asking for, but maybe it helps a bit: If you make it your main house, other people can also access it (through clicking on your name in their friends list) when you're offline. There'a also an option to make someone "decorator" in your house. They can't place new furniture, but they can move things you have placed. Maybe you knew already, but I thought I'll still mention it, maybe it's useful for someone else who reads it.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • justAperon
    justAperon
    Soul Shriven
    I know that, yes. But just decorating isn't enough. I mean, we are married... we should be able to use the same chests and have the same house as primary residence, so that one doesn't constantly has to teleport there. But I also know that people could abuse this in some way... so I doubt that we get to live together any time soon :/
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see this happening for one very good reason.

What would happen if the marriage fell apart? Then we would have threads saying "My in game marriage failed and my ex cleaned out all my furnishings and chests!" That's a can of worms I don't think they want to open.
    Edited by SilverBride on 9 February 2021 20:20
    PCNA
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What would happen if the marriage fell apart? Then we would have threads saying "My in game marriage failed and my ex cleaned out all my furnishings and chests!" That's a can of worms I don't think they want to open.
    Pretty much this. Sorry OP, but shared housing is just a slew of Support Tickets waiting to happen. There is a reason there are no shared Guild Houses either and why housing is such a sensitive issue: housing is a significant monetary and time investment, and complicating ownership of that is just open to abuse. It's not worth the headache for ZOS.

We've seen plenty of examples where even non-owners can grief people (so the currently existing restrictions aren't water-tight either) like trolling with constantly turning off lights, strangers getting decorator permissions, scorned decorators vengeance-moving things and ruining builds, etc. Creating shared ownership of a house would require shared consent - both spouses would have to sign off on adding and removing furnishings just like a shared child custody or a shared apartment irl. :lol:
    Syldras wrote: »
    justAperon wrote: »
    There'a also an option to make someone "decorator" in your house. They can't place new furniture, but they can move things you have placed.
    This really seems like the closest you could get to your idea, OP. But it's not that bad tbh, you can roleplay that one partner is responsible for arranging for the home-delivery of furniture, while they are jointly responsible for assembling and arranging them. (Insert IKEA flashback :smiley:) Also, while storage chests are unlikely to ever change, you can both access Bankers at least.

• justAperon
    justAperon
    Soul Shriven
    Ok, yeah... sad but true :/
    Then we just have to work with what we got and just hope that there will be some way in the future.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »

Cool, different language tho
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really wish they would expand decorator permissions to at least allow designated players to place items. LOTRO has done this for many years. Responsibility for trust goes to the person setting the permissions, just like when you risk a trade with someone or give them access to your guild bank. Special items and items that you lock to keep are bound and cannot be placed in your inventory but give you a "this item belongs to (player)" message, and can be returned to that player's inventory chests, but storage chests can be accessed with permission. You just can't take someone else's stuff and it tells you which things you can use and which you can't. It works well. I co-decorated and shared my houses with two other players I trusted implicitly and never had a speck of trouble and I was heavily involved with housing during my years playing that game. Such a system would make me invest a lot more money into crown store housing. It would also encourage me to get more involved with group activities because it would be super convenient to stock a whole bunch of food and potions and soul gems in my housing storage, get a group together and make sure everyone had the basics and if not they could grab an unlocked stack from the chest that I put there for that purpose.
    Edited by Minyassa on 10 February 2021 01:23