The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Update on PC NA & EU Issues [Updated 10/27 @ 8:40pm]

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hi everyone,

We'd like to give you an update about the instability some of you are seeing, particularly on the PC EU megaserver, which includes issues such as long loading times, inability to log in, and other "servers are overloaded" experiences. As you likely have surmised, this is related to the Update 24 launch, and has been exacerbated by the Witches Festival event currently live which is resulting in a lot of players logging on to participate.

We thought we had fixed the problems that have plagued the last few big in-game events by introducing an updated LFG system, some server optimizations, etc., but obviously it wasn't enough. The updated LFG system appears to be working as it should, but it has exposed another underlying issue that is causing certain parts of our servers - especially our database clusters - to become overloaded and eventually unresponsive. This is why we put a cap on the number of concurrent players that can log in last Friday, and then published the patch this morning trying to alleviate that issue.

At this time, we have another hotfix that we plan to deploy tonight (around 10:00pm EDT) that we believe will allow everything to run as normal, but frankly, we'll wait to see what it does before making any more promises. This hotfix will require a small amount of downtime for PC EU.

We totally understand it's not fair that PC EU is hit by these types of problems far more often than any of the other realms. This is because there are more concurrent users there during peak times than on any other realm. The problem you all have been experiencing only shows up at levels of concurrency seen on PC EU.

We are already discussing additional options - besides directing all of our resources to identify and fix this issue, of course - which include extending the Witches Festival for a couple days. We'll keep you posted on that as soon as we get a handle on the underlying cause of the instability.

As always, thank you for your patience. We don't like this any more than you do, and are doing everything we can to get everything back to normal as quickly as possible.
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on 28 October 2019 00:38
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you get it running. While it is frustrating that this happens so frequently during events, I believe you do your best. <3
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update! Event prolongation will be nice and also will be a good test of servers for next weekend.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    THANK YOU for the update Gina, excellent post and communication - even this late in the weekend and evening. I truly hope things will turn around, and all these issues that are starting to surface will continue to be fixed and make this game what it can and *should* be. Your community, even though we rage like crazy on here...just know we truly appreciate you and everyone addressing the issues.

All the best. Moving forward. B)
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update
  • Bexy
    Bexy
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. Now I can sleep in peace. :lol:
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's more like it! Most of us* appreciate additional info, we like it when you acknowledge performance isn't what it should be. What some of us* would like to know is why all this keeps happening - as you have now known for months that EU PC prime time causes critical server load. Why can't you just add more servers to the farm or more resources to the existing boxes? What do you spend per month on maintaining this server? How much are you making from ESO+ subs in this region each month?

Kind regards,

A lot of your dedicated fans*

*Because there's always some tool that says 'hey, not me, I love spending hours just trying to log in, everything is fine.'
    Edited by Jack-0 on 27 October 2019 01:38
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for keeping us posted, comrade Bruno.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • StarMightyMaster
    StarMightyMaster
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you know this but the activity finder is not working atm sometime you can que sometime you can't but when you do que you can't ready up
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for keeping us updated. Appreciate the additional info!
    EU / NA / PC
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You For Your Patience Online
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Now I know this isn't nice and tbf it sux...but can people think before coming here to cry? eso its a good game and yes for our money this shouldn't happen...we shouldn't be punished for stuff that should had been fixed years ago...but here we are and I assume 99% of the playerbase have no clue how "easy" is to run an mmo especially one like eso...by all means if you complain so much that the game sux...good news...we dont apply Coldharbour soul binding to the players...so go wherever you want or be a man and deal with it like grown ups...this isn't WoW...nor zenimax its a small indie studio...so yeah thx for info and I hope you get things done the way you are expecting them to...meanwhile we shall resume playing Loadingscreen Simulator: Online.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you, now this sounds like some nice explanation.

Also we will appreciate the extension.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Intermittent communication (which is understandable if they don't actually have new info to report) is better than no communication. Which is what I used to get from NWO when I couldn't log in for the better part of a day and there wasn't maintenance scheduled.

That said, this round is pretty scary. I hope we don't get a total crash next year when they ask us to re-download everything. Push back the upgrade schedule if you need to but please test it thoroughly before going live.
    We totally understand it's not fair that PC EU is hit by these types of problems far more often than any of the other realms. This is because there are more concurrent users there during peak times than on any other realm.
    Thanks for this tidbit <.< Now EU's gonna fly it in our face every time the NA minority asks for something <.< :P
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on 27 October 2019 02:05
  • GaianSpirit
    GaianSpirit
    ✭✭✭
    Nice with some honest and extensive communication, it shows you guys do care. Please keep these kinds of posts coming, it goes a long way to deal with the frustration that most of the players are feeling.

People don't like downtime, but all the downtime in the world is better than playing a game that is broken, better to do what is required to fix it so we can eventually play the game with a smooth experience
  • Firstclaw
    Firstclaw
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot!
    Das Problem dieser Welt ist, dass die intelligenten Menschen so voller Selbstzweifel- und die Dummen so voller Selbstbewusstsein sind.
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for communicating about it.

I hope you can find ways to alleviate the issues.
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • Ganjia
    Ganjia
    Soul Shriven
    wow , an honest post , i actually cant be mad !
  • ehaque
    ehaque
    Soul Shriven
    we want free stuff :P
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any idea how long the hotfix will take? In other words, should I go to bed because it's 2 am, or stay up for a bit to get my Event Tickets on EU?
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Kalixte
    Kalixte
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't forget and still want my stamina whip though.
    PC/EU server
  • C0RTEX4
    C0RTEX4
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We'd like to give you an update about the instability some of you are seeing, particularly on the PC EU megaserver, which includes issues such as long loading times, inability to log in, and other "servers are overloaded" experiences. As you likely have surmised, this is related to the Update 24 launch, and has been exacerbated by the Witches Festival event currently live which is resulting in a lot of players logging on to participate.

We thought we had fixed the problems that have plagued the last few big in-game events by introducing an updated LFG system, some server optimizations, etc., but obviously it wasn't enough. The updated LFG system appears to be working as it should, but it has exposed another underlying issue that is causing certain parts of our servers - especially our database clusters - to become overloaded and eventually unresponsive. This is why we put a cap on the number of concurrent players that can log in last Friday, and then published the patch this morning trying to alleviate that issue.

At this time, we have another hotfix that we plan to deploy tonight (around 10:00pm EDT) that we believe will allow everything to run as normal, but frankly, we'll wait to see what it does before making any more promises. This hotfix will require a small amount of downtime for PC EU.

We totally understand it's not fair that PC EU is hit by these types of problems far more often than any of the other realms. This is because there are more concurrent users there during peak times than on any other realm. The problem you all have been experiencing only shows up at levels of concurrency seen on PC EU.

We are already discussing additional options - besides directing all of our resources to identify and fix this issue, of course - which include extending the Witches Festival for a couple days. We'll keep you posted on that as soon as we get a handle on the underlying cause of the instability.

As always, thank you for your patience. We don't like this any more than you do, and are doing everything we can to get everything back to normal as quickly as possible.

And that's all we wanted, a little friggin insight as to what you are doing... about time...
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Timely, open and honest communication, acknowledging the problem, telling us what you think the problem is, in general but technical enough terms to instill confidence that you have a plan, and giving us reasonable hope for some improvement soon. Thank you! I am a patient person, but even I get into a bad mood from being kept in the dark. Good night, and good luck!
  • Chouettelfique
    Thank you for your explanation and your honesty ~
    Sinome maruvan ar hildinyar tenn' Ambarmetta !
    In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the World !
    En ce lieu je m'établirai, et mes héritiers, jusqu'à la fin du Monde !
  • PaintsOfDust
    I appreciate the communication, but i dislike that no official member of the Tech-Staff replied and no specific plan is given for improvements, etc. This is beyond a community-communication-issue now...
    for the last week people have tried to meet up with their friends, do in-game stuff, be social, etc. for an event you hosted. To play this game with friends is part of the game. It's how you advertise this game, it's how you wish to be represented officially.
    Despite that, i have tried literally every day for the past 3-5 days to get something going with friends or to play this game together with them... all attempts failed, cause your server has no uptime that could be recorded the last 3 days for the 6pm-9pm CEST timeslot as far as i know. And that is simply not acceptable. The Statement now is too late and too little with almost no direct consequences, yet you still take money from people happily every day. Maybe or maybe not people should pay for their eso+ subscriptions, lets "consider these options" for a bit... how about you re-gift a month worth of eso+ subs ? Also, please stop with the never-ending "some players experienced" stuff... its ALL PLAYERS during ALL peak-times. if you want to play you were restricted to the 1-3am-timeslot or the 11am-3pm timeslot. this is not normal.
    its like you purposely try to hide, that the servers were designed for lower player-numbers. which is okay... every server needs to be updated or re-stocked at some point, especially for a growing game like ESO. there is no shame in admitting, that you need to add more server capacity, and that you are not up to the job at the moment. but you need to say so ! .... i know GINA is not responsible for the tech-departments short-comings, and maybe even the tech-people are horribly understaffed, but change needs to happen. please dont pretend, as if only "some players" experience an "issue". its ALL the players at ALL peak-times for several MONTHS now. you havent been able to host a single event without issues in the last year and you still pretend as if it was an issue on the optimization-side. it is simply not true. and its unfair to do so to your biggest player base.
    i have given up to convince my friends to play this game, it is pointless and frankly, i dont want them to stare at another loading screen for several hours while i try to explain to them, why it is, that neither your social media nor your official website isnt able to post an official statement for atleast 40 minutes before the eventual "some players experience...." comes up. you will loose your "new" playerbase that way, and to be honest, i think you already did... over a few puny investment into some server tech... well played, good game!
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm all for extending the Witches Festival.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    It is good to have communication like this and we all, I'm sure, can have at least some empathy for the frontline forum staff that seem to be taking the hits as it were.

I cannot help but wonder though.

Are we seriously to believe that the issue is only due to the patch and event - been seeing complaints on EU side for months.

So you guys know that 'The problem you all have been experiencing only shows up at levels of concurrency seen on PC EU' but you are not prepared for such. Are we seriously to believe that there is no forward planning to combat these expected issues and that this does not show a degree of incompetence?

To me this is a hollow apology. It is in fact an admission of failure with a less than hopeful indication that things may improve. After all the post reads 'we'll wait to see what it does before making any more promises'.

@ZOS_GinaBruno; Thankyou. We know it's not your fault. I see that your post recognizes the frustration of players. Sadly, I can't help think it's not enough.

Just one thing else to add; As always, thank you for your patience.
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • ClericPro
    ClericPro
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    You are considering extending the festival, but there are other problems associated with the inability to login for the last 2 days.
    I am talking about items in a crown store with a limited duration. I can not contact people selling crown gifts for gold.
    If problems with login are not resolved in the coming days, it is highly likely that I will not be able to get some items into my collection (for example, a Chokethorn Arms Pack).
    What do you think of these issues?
    Edited by ClericPro on 27 October 2019 08:53
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭

'We thought we had fixed the problems that have plagued the last few big in-game events by introducing an updated LFG system, some server optimizations, etc., but obviously it wasn't enoug"

So simple... Your infrastructure can't take it. Are you running a business or what. If something is not paying off, which I doubt, shut it down, if not then improve Datacenter capacity, contrary to majority of other MMOs this game like mature audience who has job and can spend money. Decide what to heck you want and do it finally, at this point your reputation is worst than $5 bucks Chinese Alibaba where you order a real size silicone vagena and you receive a pencil holder. Sry guys didn't manage to get better comparison. But you get the point. If you have the the interest to keep the game running, and let's be honest, by the quality, you are,strange as it sounds, top tier in MMPRPG, get your *** straight or FO. In short, deliver or die ***. Thank you. Honest as always.
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move part of the population out with an oceanic server?
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stop praising them for doing the absolute bar minimum