The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This game makes me hate seeing other players

FoolishHuman
FoolishHuman
✭✭✭✭✭
Edited by FoolishHuman on 21 November 2016 15:48
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This isn't Skyrim 2.
    PC EU
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This isn't Skyrim 2.

Nice troll attempt, but completely missed his point.

You're right, OP. The number of times I've seen chests guarded by NPCs, and other players just waiting for you to try clearing the NPCs so they can snatch the chest right in front of you. Very frustrating.

This game has improved so much since release, but it's undeniable that ZOS went out of their way to create a generic MMO blueprint, and showcased absolutely no ambition or sense of identity at launch. Heck, originally they were going to ship the game without first person, and due to the game design relying on third person you're still deliberately choosing to gimp yourself if you play in first person view.

At least they finally admitted that forced 3v3 faction warfare made absolutely no sense from both a lore and gameplay perspective for a TES game. Hopefully minor QOL gameplay tweaks like the chests are worked on in the future. Vvardenfell is definitely a great opportunity for them to focus on creating true TES gameplay in an online setting, and finally nail their unique stamp in the genre.
    Edited by Darkstorne on 19 November 2016 11:36
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thing is in an open world, MMO they are not your resource nodes or chests they are ours, YES it is annoying when you are clearly waiting to come out of combat & someone swipes it, but it was never yours/mine to begin with, & getting upset over what you could of had will get you nowhere

regarding enemies if things are dying before you get a hit on them then you were too far away to begin with, that is a person/group/guild runing around having fun, why not talki in or put a message in area chat & ask to join them instead of resenting their presence!
  • Delimber
    Delimber
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Cyrodiil, if someone from another faction is trying to take your mats hit them lol

Gotta love fighting a mob in Craglorn just to get to some mats and to watch someone saunter in and take them while you're in mid fight lol.
    Solo PvP and PvE most of the time.
    CP 2300+
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    This isn't Skyrim 2.

Nice troll attempt, but completely missed his point.

You're right, OP. The number of times I've seen chests guarded by NPCs, and other players just waiting for you to try clearing the NPCs so they can snatch the chest right in front of you. Very frustrating.

if you see a player camping a chest, waiting for someone to kill the NPC's so they can swipe the chest... why do lay into tir hands & kill the NPC's? just leave them there, they'll soon get bored & stop it, hey they may even learn to play & kill the NPC's for themselves!
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want the other players to vanish! What I wish for is that if I open a chest or take a resource that it won't go away for everyone else so everyone can take it, something like that.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    thing is in an open world, MMO

You definitely qualify to work at ZOS, congrats!

"It's an MMO though! There's only one possible way these mechanics can ever work, and trying to think of solutions to the issue is just a waste of time. All MMOs must adhere to exactly the same formula."
    if you see a player camping a chest, waiting for someone to kill the NPC's so they can swipe the chest... why do lay into tir hands & kill the NPC's? just leave them there, they'll soon get bored & stop it, hey they may even learn to play & kill the NPC's for themselves!

Frustrating workarounds don't excuse the fact that it IS a problem. Solutions aren't difficult to think of - lock the chest to whichever player enters combat with the NPCs guarding it. But because no other big MMO has implemented that, ZOS won't either. They can't think outside the box, and apparently neither can you.
    Edited by Darkstorne on 19 November 2016 11:46
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want the other players to vanish! What I wish for is that if I open a chest or take a resource that it won't go away for everyone else so everyone can take it, something like that.

if they did that they would have to reduce the recources gained from nodes, and the goods gained from chests!

which would mean it would take even longer to farm the resources/items that people were initially searching for.
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if they did that they would have to reduce the recources gained from nodes, and the goods gained from chests!

Please explain why.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please explain why.

ok so currently 1 node will spawn which can yeild typically 3 ore, if every person who saw that ore could pick it up, or 1 person could pick it up repeatedly there would be an unlimited amount of raw materials, materials & tempers in the game.

not only would this effect the prices of the resources in guild stores (and buying & selling in traders is the main/only reason some people play this game), so that would upset them

it would mean that the majority of players would be running around with gold weapons. even on low level characters

this sounds great at first, because you/i would be OP,
    but in reality it would have a detremantal effect on balance,
    which means all the content would need to be rebalanced, and the rebalancing would be done to assume that every character had full gold gear at all times, which for non crafters & people who were brand new to the game would be a huge disadvantage
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They aren't your nodes! They are free to all. If you cant kill the mob quick enough then im afraid its tough **** if someone comes along and grabs it.
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they removed vet zones, they created plenty of room for more phases/instances, but they didn't. We're all lumped in together in the same ones. Thinning out the population in each phase would help with these problems immensely.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They steal my resource nodes, chests, kill enemies before I can get xp, kill champions before I can get the achievement. This supposed multiplayer game is made in a way that makes you despise other players. Shouldn't the design be in a way that I actually enjoy seeing others instead of wishing they would just go away?

Think of the children
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe an MMO isn't for you.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG this thread is LOL!
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffler wrote: »
    They aren't your nodes! They are free to all. If you cant kill the mob quick enough then im afraid its tough **** if someone comes along and grabs it.

But that is exactly the point. Why design it in a way that breeds conflict. Just make it so that there is no fighting over who got there first and all these problems and frustrations go away.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"It's an MMO though! There's only one possible way these mechanics can ever work, and trying to think of solutions to the issue is just a waste of time. All MMOs must adhere to exactly the same formula."

Frustrating workarounds don't excuse the fact that it IS a problem. Solutions aren't difficult to think of - lock the chest to whichever player enters combat with the NPCs guarding it. But because no other big MMO has implemented that, ZOS won't either. They can't think outside the box, and apparently neither can you.

not sure i quality to work at zos simply because i dont wander around tamriel thinking everything i see is mine!

but i am looking for a job atm so maybe i will apply :)
  • deevoh1991
    deevoh1991
    ✭✭✭
    The nodes should correspond to each player, ie. people should be able to see their own nodes. Yeah once you for example take a runestone and it vanishes, another player should be able to see their own runestone there which would be invisible for other players
    PSN GT : Divzor
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deevo191 wrote: »
    The nodes should correspond to each player, ie. people should be able to see their own nodes. Yeah once you for example take a runestone and it vanishes, another player should be able to see their own runestone there which would be invisible for other players

Again that would lead to mass mats for everyone. Plus whats the point of having a MMO with open world if everyones stuff is 'instanced'
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

not sure i quality to work at zos simply because i dont wander around tamriel thinking everything i see is mine!

Again, you're completely failing to see the issue. WoW does't allow players to attack each other whenever they want, so now ESO isn't allowed that either? If you're not going to allow players to create their own justice systems, then you can't allow ninjas to get away with this crap. Open resource nodes and chests like this WOULD work if ninjas thought "I could risk taking that chest from this player who is in combat and clearly wants to open it, but then I risk him splitting my skull open." Instead they think "Thanks to the s*** game design I'm free to screw over other players as much as I want and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

There are REALLY simple and obvious solutions to this design flaw, but ZOS won't implement them simply because it hasn't been made an MMO Gold Standard™ by Blizzard yet, so heavens forbid they try creating their own MMO rulesets. Chests being free for all until a player starts combat with defending NPCs solves all the problems. It's weird that you defend such archaic and obviously awful game design.
    When they removed vet zones, they created plenty of room for more phases/instances, but they didn't. We're all lumped in together in the same ones. Thinning out the population in each phase would help with these problems immensely.

I still think optional personal phases would be awesome. Especially for dungeons. We could finally get rid of endlessly respawning NPCs and enjoy dungeons in an immersive TES way.

Thinning out the population in exterior environments might help with chest stealing issues, but it would also make the benefits of meeting other players more restrictive as well. You might find a Dolmen that needs clearing, or a Champion NPC to defeat, but no-one else nearby to join in. They just need a system in place that prevents ninja gameplay or punishes them for it, without reducing player count for everyone since that would also hamper the benefits of group play.
    Edited by Darkstorne on 19 November 2016 12:33
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But that is exactly the point. Why design it in a way that breeds conflict. Just make it so that there is no fighting over who got there first and all these problems and frustrations go away.

Why does that breed conflict? The person is a bit odd if this turns him into the hulk. Plenty of nodes everywhere, just grab another
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deevo191 wrote: »

Again that would lead to mass mats for everyone. Plus whats the point of having a MMO with open world if everyones stuff is 'instanced'

Then reduce the amount of nodes for everyone. It would come down to the same amount of resources with less frustrations. And the point of an open world MMO is most certainly not to have petty fights over resources, but to help each other fight monsters and such. Right now, and this is the point of my post, I tend to avoid other players in the open world. The disgn should encourage me to go where others are though imo.
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does that breed conflict? The person is a bit odd if this turns him into the hulk. Plenty of nodes everywhere, just grab another

Exactly what I mean. So in this multiplayer game the best thing to do is to avoid other players and go "elsewhere". That is the design mistake here. And that's not just with nodes, it's with chests, public dungeon champions, dolmens, etc.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They steal my resource nodes, chests, kill enemies before I can get xp, kill champions before I can get the achievement. This supposed multiplayer game is made in a way that makes you despise other players. Shouldn't the design be in a way that I actually enjoy seeing others instead of wishing they would just go away?
    The first thing you could do to help yourself is stop pretending like you own any resource nodes or chests. The second thing you could do in this multiplayer game is hook up with some friends and roam around together, you will share the XP from mobs and achievements from bosses.

But what you really want is just Skyrim, right?
    Edited by Lava_Croft on 19 November 2016 12:32
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

Perfect way to ignore his valid complaints about some of the game design and pretend he wants to play a completely different game.

I know this might come as a shock to you, but maybe he genuinely justs want to play a slightly better version of ESO, and not Skyrim? Big revelation, I know.
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly what I mean. So in this multiplayer game the best thing to do is to avoid other players and go "elsewhere". That is the design mistake here. And that's not just with nodes, it's with chests, public dungeon champions, dolmens, etc.

Why does it make you avoid others? Just whoever gets there first unless your in a grp then just go down the list in order if nodes mean that much to you
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP.
    Also the more people means more lag and crashes, I avoid the places like a plague, cos I hate relogin.
    The race to the node is certainly not fun and bring the worst of people.
    Pc na
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post makes me hate reading the forums,so we're even
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, you're completely failing to see the issue. WoW does't allow players to attack each other whenever they want, so now ESO isn't allowed that either? If you're not going to allow players to create their own justice systems, then you can't allow ninjas to get away with this crap. Open resource nodes and chests like this WOULD work if ninjas thought "I could risk taking that chest from this player who is in combat and clearly wants to open it, but then I risk him splitting my skull open." Instead they think "Thanks to the s*** game design I'm free to screw over other players as much as I want and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

There are REALLY simple and obvious solutions to this design flaw, but ZOS won't implement them simply because it hasn't been made an MMO Gold Standard™ by Blizzard yet, so heavens forbid they try creating their own MMO rulesets. Chests being free for all until a player starts combat with defending NPCs solves all the problems. It's weird that you defend such archaic and obviously awful game design.

I still think optional personal phases would be awesome. Especially for dungeons. We could finally get rid of endlessly respawning NPCs and enjoy dungeons in an immersive TES way.

and you assume every decision in this game is made because WOW did it. i have never played WOW, so i dont know how stuff works there, and i dont care.

you are taking the OP's comments and pushing your own agenda.

OP wants everyone to be able to loot/gather everything they see, as one would in skyrim,

you want to fundamentally change the game from the core up

justice system? not being able to fight whoever you want whenever you want? why are these issues being discussed in this thread?

the game is what it is, i choose to accept the reality of the game & play within the confinments of the game, if you want an MMO that offers something different then go develop one, nobody is forcing you to play this game, or WOW.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

Perfect way to ignore his valid complaints about some of the game design and pretend he wants to play a completely different game.

I know this might come as a shock to you, but maybe he genuinely justs want to play a slightly better version of ESO, and not Skyrim? Big revelation, I know.
    It's only a valid complaint if what you really expected was an online Skyrim. ESO promotes working together with friends, going out together, farming resources together, killing mobs together, killing bosses together. If all you are going to do is run around by yourself pretending you are the rightful owner to resource nodes, chests, mobs and bosses, you're just going to have a bad time.

One suggestion is to go play late at night when most people are alseep. You will be mostly just by yourself then.