The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The 30 minutes underwater discussion on ESO Live.

doggie
doggie
✭✭✭
Was I the only one who found that discussion disturbing? They were talking like they had unlimited resources, and 200 developers to put on this. Just seems pointless, we all know the facts, the game is not selling well on consoles, and didn't sell that well on PC either. They'll never have the resources to change the game so much.

There are huge issues in the game, like boring crafting, very small player economy, lack of dungeon loot, buggy dungeon finder, and a ton of other things. I would rather like to hear a discussion about something realistic, like how to improve blacksmithing for example, that would be intresting unlike what was going on ESO Live.

I've played mmorpgs for 15 years, and I'm just so tired of devs making content for their CV instead of nailing the problems in the game, "fixed dungeon finder, added to crafting" dosen't sound so good on linkedin as "developed breakthrough underwater combat for eso".

Could we have more realistic discussions?
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of it was that they may have wanted players to understand just how much work it actually takes to put a new feature into the game. Many people have desires for the game, some reasonable and some not. Underwater content is one of the slightly less reasonable ones. It should have been implemented from the very beginning if they wanted it at all. It's not impossible to add it now, but there are certainly better projects they could dedicate themselves to.

Fans should keep these things in mind when making requests.

On a side note, please no flying mounts EVER.
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh oh underwater flatulence!!!

OMG who cares about bug fixes if that gets in the game! WOOT!
    Badge: Wall-of-Text GRANDMASTER

PvP: Patch Vs. Player

ZoSence (n.):
    1) What is reasonable or comprehensive using ZoS logic. "That makes ZoSense"
    2) Making zero sense. "That makes ZoSense"
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The preface prior to the dev discussion was to keep in mind they were giving an idea in hopes that fans could comprehend the requests and how long it takes to work in and finish certain projects just like the artist section

I thought it was a good perspective piece
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, this is kinda disturbing. I would like to see more craft professions, more content , especially solo end game, spellcrafting, more zones, etc. Underwater thing is not even in top 100 for me :) Will see how it will go. Perhaps it is brain fart after they spent so much time on consoles...
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭
    doggie wrote: »
    Was I the only one who found that discussion disturbing? They were talking like they had unlimited resources, and 200 developers to put on this. Just seems pointless, we all know the facts, the game is not selling well on consoles, and didn't sell that well on PC either. They'll never have the resources to change the game so much.

never pull numbers out of your hiney as a way to make an exaggerated point.
    The game had 772,000 subscribers in June 2014 according to SuperData Research.[39] It was later reported in October 2014 by the same company that the game had generated around $111 million in subscription revenue, indicating that the game had about 1.2 million subscribers around that point
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    Dixa wrote: »

never pull numbers out of your hiney as a way to make an exaggerated point.
    The game had 772,000 subscribers in June 2014 according to SuperData Research.[39] It was later reported in October 2014 by the same company that the game had generated around $111 million in subscription revenue, indicating that the game had about 1.2 million subscribers around that point

Zenimax don't report their numbers, and somehow I don't belive that superdata site that post these numbers, for example they claimed Lotro made 100$m in 2013, and that just dosen't add up compared to the development in the game, if they made 100$m you would think they would release more content to keep more of the players?

At best I would imagine ESO cashed in 100m$ total with box sales and subs. Age of Conan sold around 1.2 milion copies, and they made over 6 years a total of 150m$, we know that because they report the numbers as Funcom is a public traded company.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was intrigued but I don't really care or want underwater content. I'd like to see more methods to introduce replayability to current content. Tokens, decorations, new pledges that use the world bosses or other monsters, and repeatable quests in Cadwells Silver and Gold. These are the things I want to hear about and see, I hope they don't just do the segment to show what is "unlikely to make it anytime soon" for us.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I find this disturbing as well. But what else are ZOS devs going to talk about? There is no new content coming in the near future and that is something ZOS never wants to talk about.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    I was intrigued but I don't really care or want underwater content. I'd like to see more methods to introduce replayability to current content. Tokens, decorations, new pledges that use the world bosses or other monsters, and repeatable quests in Cadwells Silver and Gold. These are the things I want to hear about and see, I hope they don't just do the segment to show what is "unlikely to make it anytime soon" for us.

I would love more replayability. That comment they answered about the Fighter's Guild contracts sending people out to kill world bosses was just one of many things I think could be simple but highly effective. Much like crafting writs and bounty boards, more sets of emergent quests that rotate daily (not unlike pledges) that give players a reason to venture out in the world, would be quite inspired. It would be especially nice if there were still things for even level 50 players to do in those old zones.
  • Nerio
    Nerio
    ✭✭✭
    The preface prior to the dev discussion was to keep in mind they were giving an idea in hopes that fans could comprehend the requests and how long it takes to work in and finish certain projects just like the artist section

Yeah.. are people really incapable of understanding that this was a hypothetical discussion in order to demonstrate the work it takes to add new features to the game?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerio wrote: »

Yeah.. are people really incapable of understanding that this was a hypothetical discussion in order to demonstrate the work it takes to add new features to the game?

I assume no...but looking at the threads...yep, incapable
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do all get that this whole thing deliberately selected a feature that they never intend to produce, right?

This was an exercise to show what goes into new content, without having to reveal content that is in development.

Just checking...
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This game needs more underwater fishing. I said it since day one.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it really interesting. There was a lot of thought process I never would have even considered when suggesting something for development.

I have to say I hope they keep up the series as it's pretty eye opening on the thoughts and process ZOS go through in regards to development.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was very disturbing to me because I caught the last 20min of the live show, and thought this was something they were actively working on/considering doing.

I was so relieved when I watched the recorded version and it was all hypothetical.
    Edited by Zorgon_The_Revenged on 9 May 2015 00:09
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Underwater mechanics are exactly the same as flying mechanics.

Just saying.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umbranox wrote: »
    I think part of it was that they may have wanted players to understand just how much work it actually takes to put a new feature into the game. Many people have desires for the game, some reasonable and some not. Underwater content is one of the slightly less reasonable ones. It should have been implemented from the very beginning if they wanted it at all. It's not impossible to add it now, but there are certainly better projects they could dedicate themselves to.

Fans should keep these things in mind when making requests.

On a side note, please no flying mounts EVER.

It was called Arm Chair dev's segment, and for the reasons quoted above it was just to give folks an idea not everything is click a few buttons write a line or two of code and boom you have underwater combat, a lot of things we think that might be cool and easy to put in the game, may still be cool but not so easy..:)
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on 9 May 2015 01:03
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a summary of the Ask Us Anything get posted? I have not seen it. @ZOS_JasonLeavey ?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a summary of the Ask Us Anything get posted? I have not seen it. @ZOS_JasonLeavey ?

They answered a lot. Are you not able to rewatch the saved twitch feed?
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on 9 May 2015 01:23
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can it not sell well on consoles when it won't be released until June? I bought my transfer but that's all anyone can do right now. I don't honestly think you can count pre-sales as any indication. As for PC, things are busy when I'm on in the middle of a weekday, I presume it is busier on weeknights and weekends?
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moonscythe wrote: »
    How can it not sell well on consoles when it won't be released until June? I bought my transfer but that's all anyone can do right now. I don't honestly think you can count pre-sales as any indication. As for PC, things are busy when I'm on in the middle of a weekday, I presume it is busier on weeknights and weekends?

There is no way anyone has any clue. The game isn't on Xbox digital pre-order yet and stores stopped pre-sales like 6-10 months ago on disc versions

• Argoniawind
    Argoniawind
    ✭✭✭
    This is actually one feature that I been bringing up every chance I can, as most people will not know this unless you have played Morrowind and Oblivion has underwater combat only, as Skyrim did not have underwater combat. It mostly was me that keep pushing for this and even I was pushing to have this implemented in ES6 to as well. This feature is a difficult for these devs as they don't have any experience with this side of the spectrum like how BGS does.. I am an Agronian and I need underwater breathing and I need the underwater combat system in place, not that straight jacket routine from the watered down Skyrim.... I will continue to fight for this feature... im a Billion percent for it when and if they get it in the game!!
    Edited by Argoniawind on 9 May 2015 01:34
    "Live Another Life In Another World"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is actually one feature that I been bringing up every chance I can, as most people will not know this unless you have played Morrowind and Oblivion has underwater combat only, as Skyrim did not have underwater combat. It mostly was me that keep pushing for this and even I was pushing to have this implemented in ES6 to as well. This feature is a difficult for these devs as they don't have any experience with this side of the spectrum like how BGS does.. I am an Agronian and I need underwater breathing and I need the underwater combat system in place, not that straight jacket routine from the watered down Skyrim.... I will continue to fight for this feature... im a Billion percent for it when and if they get it in the game!!

I think I found and highlighted your problem! :wink:

They answered a lot. Are you not able to rewatch the saved twitch feed?

I watched it live and can watch it any time. However, after each one, ZOS posts the text from that segment. I have not seen it yet and wonder if they forgot.
  • Argoniawind
    Argoniawind
    ✭✭✭

I think I found and highlighted your problem! :wink:
    Argonians rule!!!
    "Live Another Life In Another World"
  • Hawk269
    Hawk269
    ✭✭✭

There is no way anyone has any clue. The game isn't on Xbox digital pre-order yet and stores stopped pre-sales like 6-10 months ago on disc versions

Best Buy is still taking pre-orders:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=elder+scrolls+online&amp;_dyncharset=UTF-8&amp;id=pcat17071&amp;type=page&amp;sc=Global&amp;cp=1&amp;nrp=15&amp;sp=&amp;qp=category_facet=SAAS~Video+Games~abcat0700000&amp;list=n&amp;iht=y&amp;usc=All+Categories&amp;ks=960&amp;keys=keys

Gamestop is still taking pre-orders:
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-The+Elder+Scrolls+Online+Tamriel+Unlimited

So, not sure where you are getting your info from or perhaps you are just pulling things out of your rear end, but to make a claim they stopped 6-10 months ago is pretty lame being that Best Buy even had it in one of their advertisements a few weeks ago.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawk269 wrote: »

Best Buy is still taking pre-orders:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=elder+scrolls+online&amp;_dyncharset=UTF-8&amp;id=pcat17071&amp;type=page&amp;sc=Global&amp;cp=1&amp;nrp=15&amp;sp=&amp;qp=category_facet=SAAS~Video+Games~abcat0700000&amp;list=n&amp;iht=y&amp;usc=All+Categories&amp;ks=960&amp;keys=keys

Gamestop is still taking pre-orders:
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-The+Elder+Scrolls+Online+Tamriel+Unlimited

So, not sure where you are getting your info from or perhaps you are just pulling things out of your rear end, but to make a claim they stopped 6-10 months ago is pretty lame being that Best Buy even had it in one of their advertisements a few weeks ago.

Hey...I don't think we met before. Let's not get off to a bad start.
    Respectfully in my area, stores are not taking any more pre-orders because they have taken more than they can fill.
    Also realize those sites will always allow you to pre-order but specifically with GameStop and Bestbuy and Walmart from personal experiences, take your money and then email you the day or night of suggesting your order will be delayed due to limited quantities.

Also, the Xbox one does not allow this game to be digitally pre-ordered yet.
    No I'm not pulling things out of my.....

I just asked this week in my town and they are all out as I wanted to buy a disc for my brother for his birthday. I'm bought the $20 digital transfer for Xbox by the way
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested in hearing some dev shop talk like today's episode, but it needs to be on a remotely interesting topic. The best underwater combat in an MMO is GW2 and even that is a waste of space. I'd like to see a better topic chosen next time.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Underwater questing or even raiding has always been a very boring adventure to me. I don't know, but to always get air, being unable to walk, hard to click monsters, incredible hard to find items ... it all adds up to my frustration level. I think I never ever did Vashj again, after I spend weeks in it on my first char there.

I really don't understand why player want this, already at Mario water levels were a huge pain for me.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I been underwater in two areas of the areas in the game and I think adding underwater access will requirer a major rewrite of the game code; for example, the slaughter fish only attack you while on the surface, but not underneath the water, so a different method will need to be use to contain the players in the zones as far as the oceans are concerned. A lot of the geometry, such as rocks, will need to be re-positioned because you can crawl underneath or inside them while underwater. Interestingly, all of the ships geometry are complete, even underwater, but the building structures and piers will need to be re positioned or edited too. Underwater vegetation will need to be added. The player's movement mechanics will need to be updated as well as the NPCs.

Adding combat would be interesting; how would a flame weapon work underwater? How would the conjured pets fight underwater.

Adding sunken treasure chests and plants for provisioning would be cool. The Argonian amphibious racial bonus would finally have a realistic purpose.

Here's a link to some underwater screenshots around Haven in Grahtwood: Underwater in Haven's port