Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Heroes of Tamriel Statue: Breton"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the Heroes of Tamriel Statue: Breton blog article. Let us know what you think of the statue!
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, only $300... or you could buy a very decent graphics card with that amount of money...
  • Persecom
    Persecom
    ✭✭
    The Breton is a hero? Wouldn't have guessed it. Being that he's trying to kill another "hero." After that "hero" took into custody another "hero" to...take the ruby throne I guess.
    One raised by Argonians
    @Persecom - Healer/Tank
    Member of the ShoddyCaste
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice detail work on his armor! Looks great.
    Ebonheart Pact
    All PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 930
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Saryn Duskbringer - Altmer Vampire Sorcerer - Destro and Resto Staves
    Valmion Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar Healer - Resto and Destroy Staves
    Solus Lighthawke - Altmer DK Tank- Sword n' Board and Greatsword
    Stitches-for-Riches - Argonian Templar Healer- Resto
    Ashiran Zahuluu - Dunmer Stam Sorc - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Kivian Nightshade - Altmer Magicka NB - Destro/Resto Staves
    Daggerfall Covenant
    S'rala Sugar Claws - Khajiit Stamina Sorc - Dual Wield and Greatsword

Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • dynamite7673b14_ESO
    ZOS Spend more time fixing the game and less time trying to squeeze every last penny out of us!
    Nahte 26 - Sorcerer DPS
    Rebma VR1 - DK Tank
    Eener 20 - Sorcerer/Dedicated Crafter
  • kdgeek
    kdgeek
    Soul Shriven
    The Breton is very well done. The standard edition in particular is stunning -- I almost mistook it for a picture of an actual person at first! The stance he's standing in makes me think he's heading into battle. "Go ahead, make my day."

On the other hand, the exclusive edition looks like an undead version of the Breton instead of one who just emerged victorious from the previously-mentioned fight. "I was going to win... and then I died. Sort of." It's not something I would put on display in my house, but they did a very good job with the detail.
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These three so called "heros" dont even appear in the game,Why use them as mascots of the game?
  • Slash8915
    Slash8915
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS, you must be crazy...
    VR12 Templar Tank
    VR6 Dragonknight DPS
    VR3 Templar Healer
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like to see a Khajiit or an Argonian figures and / or they appear in the videos. We like to see what a "real life" Khajiit and Argonian look like.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/LYRO1F_SDxc/hqdefault.jpg

http://i0.wp.com/www.cgmeetup.net/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-The-Siege-Cinematic-Trailer-5.jpg?resize=960,408
    Edited by k9mouse on June 5, 2014 9:46PM
  • Bayezid
    Bayezid
    ✭✭
    I see this is Zenimax's attempt at squeezing more money out of it's subs.

Serously,why would i need a statue of a "hero" i never see ingame? Atleast make it a statue of the high elf sorcerer.

Infact i'd rather see more lore friendly content,not this crap. This is Zenimax's successful attempt at trolling us :(
    Edited by Bayezid on June 5, 2014 9:48PM
  • Probitas
    Probitas
    ✭✭✭
    With the attempt by EVE creators to get players to buy sunglasses for an exhorbitant fee being the worst sort of 'value' I've ever had the disgrace to view, this is by far the worst sort of shill for 'unique' products I've yet seen as far the price.

These things are not sculpted individually, except ONCE. Then they are mass produced so they can be run many times cheaply. They might say rare now, but when you've seen rare be printed multiple times for other collectibles, I've learned that it's never as simple as a one off one time purchase that can never be purchased again.

No offense intended ZOS, but how about adding player housing or something useful for players paying to PLAY the game, rather than a piece of artwork that gathers dust on a shelf. We already have items filling up inventory that we can't really afford to store for each character that earns one (which makes me think inventory space is going to be offered for sale coming soon to an online store).

Spend money on the game, and stop trying to mass produce cheap art that you then over-price to profit from. I would have bought the statue from the collectors edition if you even bothered to make it available for a reasonable price (not this $300 joke, it must be a joke right?), but I got to say I'm not interested in jumping onto a collectible artwork trading game if that's where this idea is heading. I find the print offerings also similarly over-priced and do not see any value at buying something I KNOW is easily mass produced (My father works for a printing company, I know the equipment used for this sort of thing, and I know it's cheap to do, maybe find someone more reasonable to design your products if they are charging you so much to make it).

Make your money from making the game worth the sub fee, not from stuff that has nothing to do with the game.
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    kdgeek wrote: »
    On the other hand, the exclusive edition looks like an undead version of the Breton instead of one who just emerged victorious from the previously-mentioned fight.

In the game trailers, this Breton character was turned undead by Mannimarco. :)

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bayezid wrote: »

Serously,why would i need a statue of a "hero" i never see ingame? Atleast make it a statue of the high elf sorcerer.

Infact i'd rather see more lore friendly content,not this crap. This is Zenimax's successful attempt at trolling us :(

I see no gun. I see no knife. Did Zenimax hire some Assassins or something to force you to buy this? Don't want it, don't buy it. You are not being forced to get it.

Are you buying this? If not, then why say you it is Zenimax attempt at squeezing more money? Some people like this stuff. You may not like it or buy it, but others do, just like you are playing ESO and some people don't like it and not playing it.

Zenimax is not squeezing anyone for money. You want it, you buy it. You don't want it you don't buy it. Not like you are getting any advantage ONLINE if you buy this and get an "edge" over other players.

Nothing shady is being done like you are trying to make it out to be.
    Edited by Davor on June 6, 2014 1:19AM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come he gets a cape and I don't?
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HsojVvad wrote: »
    Bayezid wrote: »

I see no gun. I see no knife. Did Zenimax hire some Assassins or something to force you to buy this? Don't want it, don't buy it. You are not being forced to get it.

Are you buying this? If not, then why say you it is Zenimax attempt at squeezing more money? Some people like this stuff. You may not like it or buy it, but others do, just like you are playing ESO and some people don't like it and not playing it.

Zenimax is not squeezing anyone for money. You want it, you buy it. You don't want it you don't buy it. Not like you are getting any advantage ONLINE if you buy this and get an "edge" over other players.

Nothing shady is being done like you are trying to make it out to be.

Agreed.

So they commissioned a few folks to do some sculptures to sell. Big deal.
    Some folks are going to dig it, some won't care, and still others are going to fly off the handle and accuse Zeni of trying to squeeze every last dime from their subscriber base by offering collectible novelties.

God damn, you guys act like the Devs are sitting around a sculpting table building these things rather than fixing lines of code.
    Edited by ShedsHisTail on June 6, 2014 1:31AM
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • grahamz1b14_ESO
    ZOS Spend more time fixing the game and less time trying to squeeze every last penny out of us!

Some of the comments here are really silly. ZoS obviously didn't create this. At best, they probably contracted some outside company to make it. Furthermore, anyone who's attended a game or science fiction or comic book or media convention anytime in the past 50+ years, will know that people DO spend tons of cash on seemingly silly things like this. It's a collectable. I think it's pretty but I'd never pay money for it, let alone $300. But people do pay serious money for crap like this, so let them have their fun. It's not about the game, it's about something completely different. If you really think that programmers and game designers actually were assigned to create figurines then whatever school you went to didn't do a good job at teaching you how to think critically.
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they're cool. If peeps want to buy them then so be it. It doesn't effect anyone else. I personally don't see the hissy fit some of you are having with this.

The creation of the model/s didn't take up any dev time or anything hehe.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    Dekkameron wrote: »
    I think they're cool. If peeps want to buy them then so be it. It doesn't effect anyone else. I personally don't see the hissy fit some of you are having with this.

The creation of the model/s didn't take up any dev time or anything hehe.

exactly. it only took their money, but I am sure they planned this long before release of the game itself.

I usualy do not buy this stuff, but if the altmer model will look great I might consider house decoration :)

• Necronomicon
    Necronomicon
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, they are desperate for money...
  • Depechenova
    Depechenova
    ✭✭
    If its anything like the quality of the molag bal statue u can cram it up ya greedy pie holes. Coz that so call statue u gave me was utter crap.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us look at this in more detail:

Step:

1) The video that the Breton in it most like was made by a 3rd party company.

2) That 3rd party video company most likely made a 3rd model art work to help to make him in the video

3) That 3rd company give a another company to make those OR sell the 3rd model file to ZOS, then ZOS handed that 3rd model file to a 3rd printer company OR ZOS let one or two people make a 3rd model to hand out to the 3rd model company

4) ZOS gets $$ from the license.

5) They put that $$ back into ESO for us the player to enjoy and buy themselves a sweetroll or two also.

I am more interested getting a cool Khajiit or Argonian model.... =^.^=

I am NOT complaining, just trying to show that ZOS is handing out the work to a 3rd party company.
    Edited by k9mouse on June 6, 2014 1:03PM
  • antsh
    antsh
    ✭✭
    To those complaining, you realize that they've sold products (t-shirts, glasses, posters, expensive figures, etc) for all of their IPs.

See:
    http://store.bethsoft.com/

Almost all publishers sell merch like this... don't see what the big deal is.

And, do you really think that the programmers working on the game had anything to do with this?
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the hero is a well dressed lvl 1 character, he found a sword but not a shield yet.
  • VlVEC
    VlVEC
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there ZERO armor that looks like this? All the cinematic armor isn't even in the game.
    The beginning of the words is ALMSIVI. I give you this as Vivec.
    Almalexia, Sotha Sil, and Vivec.
    ヽ༼ຈ༽ل͜༼ຈ༽ノ
  • FoxyKitten
    FoxyKitten
    ✭✭
    If it's not in-game I'm not interested. How about creating some in-games extras besides the Imperial version?
  • bandage106rwb17_ESO
    Wow, they are desperate for money...

Of course they're a company after all, can you imagine walking into a department store and walking up to a cashier and saying "Wow you're desperate for money"

• kdgeek
    kdgeek
    Soul Shriven
    Lynnessa wrote: »
    kdgeek wrote: »
    On the other hand, the exclusive edition looks like an undead version of the Breton instead of one who just emerged victorious from the previously-mentioned fight.

In the game trailers, this Breton character was turned undead by Mannimarco. :)

That just goes to show you how many game trailers I've seen. Thanks for the insight!

I guess it just goes to show that the artist achieved what s/he was probably going for. All the same, I still wouldn't put it on display in my house.
  • Sandmanninja
    Sandmanninja
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay however much for a life size model of the Sorcerer girl!
    (cough) Did I say that outloud?

Seriously tho, these are magnificent 3D models and would love to own at least one of them as a physical, tangible statue (probably the girl - just saying).
    [Hard Mode Dungeoneers] is recruiting all players of all levels for this new Guild.
    THIS IS A NEW-BUT-GROWING GUILD. We are focused on doing vet pledges, vet dungeons, getting achieves, & doing hard mode bosses.
    Most active GMT+10 (Australia time zone) in the afternoon Mon-Fri and all day Sat/Sun.
    Pst/email for info/invites.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only one question? Why does he have a sword. The trailer character has a bow. Why? Bow looks so much cooler. I love it, but $300 IS a little steep. $100 and a bow, I'd buy it..
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • KORJ
    KORJ
    ✭✭
    LOL
    FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
  • Mopar63
    Mopar63
    ✭✭✭
    I think the concept of these types of products is cool but the pricing it NUTS, especially with 3D Printing now making it so much easier to do this.

That a lesson from WoW and use FigurePrints to let us print OUR characters from the game at a reasonable price.

figureprints.com/wow/Default.aspx
    Edited by Mopar63 on June 7, 2014 11:45AM
    True honor need not be named