Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Battlemaster’s Corner – The Thunder Thief"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog post "Battlemaster’s Corner – The Thunder Thief." Enjoy, and don't forget to send us your build if you'd like to be featured!
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • OnceWasPerfect
    OnceWasPerfect
    Soul Shriven
    Is there a link the the actual build anywhere? Interested in what passives were taken as well.
  • Gern_Verkheart
    Gern_Verkheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks fun, but how are your traits dispersed? Do you put everything in one trait line like stamina, or magicka? Or do you try to distribute them evenly between two or even all three?
  • Treadpool
    Treadpool
    ✭✭
    I would think a build link would be required for this so we can get the full picture. Passives and trait distribution. Guessing for this it's mostly Stamina.
  • mythicalBunny
    mythicalBunny
    Soul Shriven
    3 comments only? wow...
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think a build link would be required for this so we can get the full picture. Passives and trait distribution. Guessing for this it's mostly Stamina.

I would think it's safe to say that this would indeed use mostly stamina as his actives are like 75% melee weapon moves. Other than that, passives are probably everything under the sun for DW and Storm Caller as well as Medium armor. Hell if he didn't have a piece of heavy and a piece of light mixed in, I might wonder if he's all there or not, because the passives from those two would help him out a good bit I think.

But yea seriously, little love to Templars please, not just some damned Resto Warrior crap that we all saw coming, I mean something real here. Friggun Night Blades and Sorcerers get alternate forms of themselves and a damned Templar is still a healer. What the hell ZoS, what the hell.

EDIT* Correction, I'm an ass and didn't read it right, still a bit early for me in my day. Yea I think he might be using mostly magicka since those look to be mostly storm caller moves. Hm, using class and magic moves over weapon skills that isn't a staff, who would've thought. >_>
    Edited by Khivas_Carrick on May 27, 2014 4:47PM
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Treadpool
    Treadpool
    ✭✭

I would think it's safe to say that this would indeed use mostly stamina as his actives are like 75% melee weapon moves. Other than that, passives are probably everything under the sun for DW and Storm Caller as well as Medium armor. Hell if he didn't have a piece of heavy and a piece of light mixed in, I might wonder if he's all there or not, because the passives from those two would help him out a good bit I think.

But yea seriously, little love to Templars please, not just some damned Resto Warrior crap that we all saw coming, I mean something real here. Friggun Night Blades and Sorcerers get alternate forms of themselves and a damned Templar is still a healer. What the hell ZoS, what the hell.

EDIT* Correction, I'm an ass and didn't read it right, still a bit early for me in my day. Yea I think he might be using mostly magicka since those look to be mostly storm caller moves. Hm, using class and magic moves over weapon skills that isn't a staff, who would've thought. >_>

Well there seem to be different ways to play this build, but if I was wearing mostly medium armor I'd focus on my knives a bit more than spells.

Regarding Templars, I haven't heard this kind of frustration before. The people in game that I play with don't see them as just healers. They seem to tear stuff up with no issues.
  • GhostRunner521
    I bet a lot of players would try this build if they could actually log into the game.
  • terence.caroneb17_ESO
    I'd like to send you my build, but Biting Jabs became worthless, so I guess there won't be any tanking/dps templar build in your news.
  • Xanadution
    Xanadution
    Soul Shriven
    This is a very low dps build. In higher level and vet areas this build would take extra long to finish mobs and would need a lot of potion support. I highly do not recommend this build past level 35.
  • Gern_Verkheart
    Gern_Verkheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xanadution wrote: »
    This is a very low dps build. In higher level and vet areas this build would take extra long to finish mobs and would need a lot of potion support. I highly do not recommend this build past level 35.

I'm curious as to why you say that?

If he builds around stamina, the Lord stone and at least half his trait points in health for survivability, wouldn't he do at least as much damage as a melee nightblade?
  • Xanadution
    Xanadution
    Soul Shriven
    Overall dps is still lower than a general nightblade skills. By having only storm magic support its functionality is limited and results in the lower dps. His blade damage can be the same as a nightblade with a stamina focus build however, the supporting skills are not there to back it up. Even a balanced or reversed magicka focus would still have this hold true. That is why you will see an exponential increase in game difficulty in later levels as compared to standard or other builds. (this is also looking at what would happen with max passives on med armor, blade, storm, and say Breton/high elf/dark elf/redguard/nord are met)
    Edited by Xanadution on May 28, 2014 2:51AM
  • jonal11_ESO
    jonal11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Xanadution wrote: »

I'm curious as to why you say that?

If he builds around stamina, the Lord stone and at least half his trait points in health for survivability, wouldn't he do at least as much damage as a melee nightblade?

I run almost the exact same build, and I'm vet 10. It's not very good anymore, whirling blades is junk at this level and the scaling of damage does not keep up with other classes. It's sad because I had tons of fun playing it at lower levels but around vet 4 to 5 you really start to see diminished returns.

So ya, play this build for fun at lower levels, but until they make scaling at higher levels better, you would not want to this build at high levels. I am saving up money atm to redo my build. Makes me a sad panda but I highly doubt they will make any changes anytime soon.

• fambaab16_ESO
    fambaab16_ESO
    ✭✭
    Sorry but what? No blink, no description which sets which armor. These builds are somewhat general, choose another race and another armortype and it becomes something totally different. This also is only viable in PvE. The amount of CC requests everyone to have immoveable or a ton of stamina to break CC.

And the second ultimate is missing, you will not tell me that he has the same ultimate in both slots.

WHen he uses critical surge he most likely wears medium armor and crit gear. This is the only way to have some surviveability.

But then again his magicka recovery will be so low that he uses 2 x lightning form and 1 x surge and hes out of magicka.
  • oMrREDo
    oMrREDo
    Soul Shriven
    I'm guessing this thread doesn't have too many insightful builds being sent in. Sure "The Thunder Thief" makes for a catchy title, but it's really lacking key information. How are the attribute points distributed? What passives were taken? What lvl is this dude anyway? Is there an armor set the player favors? Hell I wouldn't mind knowing what weapon traits/enchantments are favored on his blades.

Flesh things out a bit and make these feature builds a bit more useful.
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    This column tries to promote build diversity that does not exist in reality, at least not from ~V3 onwards.

I played something like this build until then, it was not as easy as staff shenanigans but doable, but at V3 i respeced. no way this build is leveling to V12 without being carried by useful builds. Or yes it can, in like 600 days and using massive sorc CC spells and single target killing mobs with suboptimal skills.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kililin wrote: »
    This column tries to promote build diversity that does not exist in reality, at least not from ~V3 onwards.

I played something like this build until then, it was not as easy as staff shenanigans but doable, but at V3 i respeced. no way this build is leveling to V12 without being carried by useful builds. Or yes it can, in like 600 days and using massive sorc CC spells and single target killing mobs with suboptimal skills.

The diversity exists. I just feel that players who can achieve positive results in VR content with builds like this, are automatically overshadowed by those players who insist that optimal builds are the only way to play.

I like that these posts highlight non-traditional builds. I personally choose non-traditional builds myself, no matter what others insist is optimal.

And for the most part, I don't have any more issues than anyone else. It's more difficult at times, sure. But I'm not scared of a little extra effort.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • heavy_artillery
    heavy_artillery
    ✭✭✭
    Only level 14 so far, but I'm completely enamored by my dual-wielding, lightning throwing sorceress! She may be a Breton, but she's still been a blast to play.
    @Bluenotebacker in-game, NA Server
  • Gern_Verkheart
    Gern_Verkheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only level 14 so far, but I'm completely enamored by my dual-wielding, lightning throwing sorceress! She may be a Breton, but she's still been a blast to play.

It's gonna get a lot harder in higher vet content, but don't lose heart, it's still possible and a lot of fun.

I am currently using this build: tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-reaver-a-melee-self-healing-mobile-skirmisher/
    and it is a blast. But it gets very challenging when facing groups of 3 or more mobs at vet-9.