Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Creating ESO: Trials"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog post Creating ESO: Trials. What did you guys think?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Lucardes
    Lucardes
    ✭✭✭
    Looks great!

Although unrelated and outside of this, perhaps we can consider a future trial catering for 8 man? 12 man is harder to achieve for some guilds. But just throwing that out there.

8 man future trials please consider :)
    Lucefer
    #1 Sorcerer in EP Dawnbreaker
  • Lucardes
    Lucardes
    ✭✭✭
    Also that recap feature is a surprise and a great way to adjust stratagy even outside the trails. Curious if that recap is turned off when at Cyrodiil? @ZOS_Gina
    Lucefer
    #1 Sorcerer in EP Dawnbreaker
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Lucardes wrote: »
    Also that recap feature is a surprise and a great way to adjust stratagy even outside the trails. Curious if that recap is turned off when at Cyrodiil? @ZOS_Gina
    Death recap will be available across the entire game, including Cyrodiil.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • tduncan465
    available now?!?!?!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Not yet, @tduncan465! It will be available with the first big content update when Craglorn goes live. :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • adrenalinetaco
    adrenalinetaco
    Soul Shriven
    So, if I read correctly, does this mean that the very best items will no longer be crafted by players, but looted off of the Trial bosses?
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    So, if I read correctly, does this mean that the very best items will no longer be crafted by players, but looted off of the Trial bosses?
    My concern as well, I was under the impression that Crafted items will ultimately be better than most found items though I can understand getting epic items from very successful trial runs.
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds awesome, can't wait until we see them firsthand this week.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also looking forward to killing my friends with Combat Prayer and Healing Ward. Hurrah!
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    I am very happy for those the enjoy grouping. I do look forward to a future update for explorers and those that tend to solo a bit more than group.

• Snakewitch13
    Snakewitch13
    Soul Shriven
    I hope you don't go over board with this group thing. Remember Disco Dancing? Had to have a partner, too hard so it died. Diablo is way too much killing and it has taken the fun out of the game, some of us or rather a lot of us work alone and team up occasionally, people work, online offline it is hard to team up with just one other player if you can get that! I am finding most of the players I am coming across in the game don't want to team up at all! A lot won't even help as you are getting killed they wait for you to fight and die and then finish off the monster and get the loot. I personally think you are going a little bit too far. Please stop it before I personally quit. Thank you, sincerely just my opinion, I just know what I am coming across as I am playing.
  • Solthour
    Solthour
    Willow wrote: »
    I am very happy for those the enjoy grouping. I do look forward to a future update for explorers and those that tend to solo a bit more than group.

Craglorn is a whole area that offers Solo exploration I thought it's just the instances there that require a 12 man group.
    Solthour
    Eu Server
    AD
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Solthour wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

Craglorn is a whole area that offers Solo exploration I thought it's just the instances there that require a 12 man group.

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn the entire zone was tuned for groups of four and solo/duo players were essentially committing suicide if they tackled the content.
  • djodars
    djodars
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is fine the way it is... it's an MMO, not a single-player RPG.

What I would love is a system that can scale the trials to the number of players in your group. Not everyone wants to play with strangers and not everyone has 11 friends that plays the game at the same time.

Craglorn looks great though, can't wait to experience it first hand!
  • royalghost
    royalghost
    Soul Shriven
    There are still a lot of bugs in the game to work out..... This looks cool and all, but are you really ready to add a whole new can of worms to the one that you're fighting?
  • veevito
    veevito
    Soul Shriven
    djodars wrote: »
    Everything is fine the way it is... it's an MMO, not a single-player RPG.

What I would love is a system that can scale the trials to the number of players in your group. Not everyone wants to play with strangers and not everyone has 11 friends that plays the game at the same time.

Craglorn looks great though, can't wait to experience it first hand!

Save the tired old "it's an mmo" stuff. Nobody is asking to remove trials. He just said he's looking forward to other non group updates. MMO just means a virtual world for people to populate at the same time doing all kinds of things.

Besides, what's so massive about 12 people hiding in a private instance? Even less is bad. You dont want to play with strangers? Its an mmo I thought. The acronym game is dangerous.

Your argument is bad.

Craglorn sounds great fun!
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A few concerns:

1. Elitism

Those that played wow and other MMO´s who focused on raid content will know that specific people will tell other players how to play the game.

If you want to play it your way, you are insulted and excluded from the content.
    Seeing that the adventure zone has a timer running, I am afraid the same Elitism might come up here.

People so scared of not having the best time will harass everyone who in their opinion is guilty for their weak time. This will make the whole Adventure Zone inaccessible for players who believed in the TESO philosophy "play as you want".

2. Premade

As far I understand, those Adventure Zones are only for premades right? Its similar to heroic raids then or rated BG´s at wow. If you cant commit to a schedule of a guild, you are out as the grouping tool wont support it. How is ZO going to address that issue, or do you want to release content that only 5% of the players are able to see?

3. Crafting

When we bought TESO we were told that crafting is equal to raid gear. But now you say raid gear is the best in the game? So were we lied or how does this work out now?

Don't get me wrong, the idea of an 8 hour lasting dungeon run sounds fun. It reminds me of the days when I used to play professional wow and we streamed our raids on TV stations around the world. Fact however is, who really has those 8 hours and the ability to form premades?

In my opinion the idea is fun, but we will need protection from Elitism, a free to enter grouping tool and some solo content for those who refuse to group.
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    Is Craglorn the next content update or can we excpect to see smaller updates before that? Like a new dungeon or more crafting?
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is my concern as well.

Also, about the boss models...

Some of them seem way way to BIG compare to the player model (to tall / wide ) -- makes them kind of cartoony looking. I will be happy if they are no bigger then a head or two taller then the player model. Making them the size of a 3 story house just looks silly IMHO. The texture and detail are very well done and that part does NOT look cartoon like at all, just that the boss models are way to big compare to the player model.

Who else thinks the size makes the models look cartoon like and rather be about the size of the player model (may be a little bigger like a head or two taller)?

• Splattzilla
    GAME ON!
    To succeed you must do the things that you think you cannot.
  • SouthernDiscomfort
    Looks great, I love the stone statues with the swords, reminds me of the first Tomb Raider film. Still got a final level and the ten veteran ranks to go through but it's nice to know there will be PVE content to do at the end of that. I'm hoping the FOV slider with be included in this patch!
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here; this is The War Room!"
  • enfp
    enfp
    ✭✭
    Can't wait to checkout eso trials content first hand. Give us a day!
  • enfp
    enfp
    ✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »

Some of them seem way way to BIG compare to the player model (to tall / wide ) -- makes them kind of cartoony looking. I will be happy if they are no bigger then a head or two taller then the player model. Making them the size of a 3 story house just looks silly IMHO. The texture and detail are very well done and that part does NOT look cartoon like at all, just that the boss models are way to big compare to the player model.

Who else thinks the size makes the models look cartoon like and rather be about the size of the player model (may be a little bigger like a head or two taller)?

Bigger the better, it's a boss. They typically are large in 85% of gpames
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    enfp wrote: »
    k9mouse wrote: »

Bigger the better, it's a boss. They typically are large in 85% of games

Not in TES games, BIG house sized bosses just look cartoony and I want ESO be different and have realism graphics. The texture are fine, just the sized is the problem.
  • pjwrwb17_ESO
    pjwrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭
    Timed trial? Ugh. No time to do what ESO is actually good at - exploring and taking in the surrounds.

How about an award for minimum deaths instead? Or for completing optional objectives? Or for least healing used? Serving is cool and all, but after the first few times it has little to do with player skill
  • Lanlin
    Lanlin
    Audigy wrote: »
    A few concerns:

1. Elitism
    2. Premade
    3. Crafting

I absolutely cannot understand why minutes after awesome content is revealed there is always people that bring up irrational concerns.
    So you are concerned about "Elitism"? I personally wonder how this term has grown so much hate to its name in gaming environment. Isn't it completely usual that some people want to be better at what they are doing than others? And isn't it obvious that gaming shouldn't be different than any other activity on the globe you can participate in?
    Any kind of sports, any kind of job, love, whatever people do there is always some kind of competition involved. So why do people hate on players that choose gaming to be an "Elitist" in? It shouldn't even concern you. Can't you play soccer and enjoy playing it just because someone in Champions-League is doing better than you and earning lots of money by doing so?

Then you complain about "Premades"?
    The whole point of playing an MMO once was to find a community or a group of players that share your own abitions and goals and to just have fun playing together. Why do people wish to alienate this general idea so badly? So do you truly enjoy partying with 11 other people who you have never seen before and will never see after just to see the content and then (probably) hate on the grouping tool if it did not party you with a bunch of pro-players in order to make the completion of the trial fit in your own personal timeschedule?
    I'm kinda getting a headache from thinking about this twisted logic...

By the way, half of your last point is invalid because you obviously did not understand what you read right there... the other half... I will just refuse to comment on that.
  • pjwrwb17_ESO
    pjwrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭
    Can't seem to edit my previous... Serving = zerging
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks really good. Of course I love anything to do with the desert so I might be a little biased :smile:

I've never really be one to experience such 'raid' adventures in these games, not in a traditional 'hard-core' manner anyways. But I do hope to experience some of it someday. I also hope it sates those with appetites for such challenging content!

Not to find a band of adventurers that are more interested in the glory of achievement and challenge rather than the acquisition of material possessions :wink:
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • ularis
    ularis
    I want 12 vs 12 PVP Trials , but this is ok too.
  • Viverim
    Viverim
    ✭✭
    Lanlin wrote: »
    I absolutely cannot understand why minutes after awesome content is revealed there is always people that bring up irrational concerns.
    So you are concerned about "Elitism"? I personally wonder how this term has grown so much hate to its name in gaming environment.

Because "Elite" players (or, Raid Groups, if you prefer) aren't just happy doing what they love to do. They demand that Raid gear be at least 2-3 times better than anything else available. They often site "time required" or "strategies learned" as their excuse for this attitude, but really it comes down to wanting to be more powerful than anyone else.
    Lanlin wrote: »
    Isn't it completely usual that some people want to be better at what they are doing than others? And isn't it obvious that gaming shouldn't be different than any other activity on the globe you can participate in?
    Any kind of sports, any kind of job, love, whatever people do there is always some kind of competition involved. So why do people hate on players that choose gaming to be an "Elitist" in? It shouldn't even concern you. Can't you play soccer and enjoy playing it just because someone in Champions-League is doing better than you and earning lots of money by doing so?

And this game supports PvP competition. So, anyone who enjoys playing in large groups will gain a distinct advantage over anyone who does not wish to do the same. This form of exclusion will cause issues with PvP, which I am pretty sure is intended to be a good part of end-game activities.

Crafting differs from Raiding in one very distinct way. Any and everyone can do it. There are so many skill points available that you aren't really wasting them by leveling up one or even two skills. Raids, on the other hand, require you to actually play the game in a manner you might not find enjoyable. Thus the concern over gear.

Now, as for the whole "This Is An MMO" reaction, I have two comments to respond. #1 - this is an Elder Scrolls game. I would wager that a majority of the player base is used to playing the previous games, all of which are single player. When you make a game with such a pre-existing base, you must at least keep in mind they will have their own preferences and opinions. #2 - For those who always like to say "it's not a console game". Um, in a few months or so it is coming out for playstation and xbox. So, yeah... it IS a console game.

My biggest concerns, as I have stated in the past, is about the fact that it has been stated in the past that "you can play Elder Scrolls Online however you want". This article tells you, almost point blank, that you can't actually do this. Firstly, the entire zone is crafted around 4 man groups. Not just the instances or trials, but the ENTIRE ZONE. If you like small groups or solo play, this content is not for you. Secondly, the article states that in each battle of the trial you will have to change out your selections of skills and possibly weapons. Again, forcing you to do things you might not want to. Making the trials a challenge is one thing, but this looks to me like the trials were made specifically to challenge the "professional raid guilds", a small portion of any community.

Don't get me wrong. The scenes look beautiful and it sounds like a lot of hard work went into it. I, however, will NOT be visiting Craglorn, so no matter how much work and effort went into it, I will not be appreciating it as my own style of play has been purposely excluded.

Better luck with the next add-on. Maybe it won't be as divisive as this one is.

p.s. - and you know.. I really wasn't going to post in this thread, as I have actually made my opinion heard in other threads on Craglorn before. *sigh*
    Edited by Viverim on April 24, 2014 12:06AM