Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Resetting Skill Points

parabreton08_ESO
Heard you can do it, anyone know where?
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Second main zone for your faction around level 20.
  • johnnyredbird
    Lame....
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Second main zone for your faction around level 20.

Yep - note it costs money, more based on how many skill points you have spent.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lame....

In what world do you need to respec before then?
    ----
    Murray?
  • gtb
    gtb
    Lame....

The world in which you start of putting in skills and around level 7-9 you realise you are missing some key survivability skills. The game should allow you to fix a screw up without needing to start from scratch.

My first character was a templar and I didn't really know what I was doing when I was allocating skill points. I get to about level 9 and I'm stuck because the character has no survivability against 2 or more mobs. A reset option, even using up my scarce gold, would be nice.
    Edited by gtb on April 2, 2014 7:23AM
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    gtb wrote: »
    Lame....

The world in which you start of putting in skills and around level 7-9 you realise you are missing some key survivability skills. The game should allow you to fix a screw up without needing to start from scratch.

My first character was a templar and I didn't really know what I was doing when I was allocating skill points. I get to about level 9 and I'm stuck because the character has no survivability against 2 or more mobs. A reset option, even using up my scarce gold, would be nice.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have only spent about 13 hours on my Templar, but I really like him and I don't feel like starting over. I wish I could re-allocate points at will before level 10 or so. That might be interesting to be able to do that, then after level 10 you are stuck.
    Bacon and Skyrim....but mostly bacon....and a lawnmower
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Its 100g per skill point you have SPENT, not including what you ha e acquired but not spent. IE if you have 20 skill points total, invested 16 of them, and have 4 unspent, itll cost you 1600g
  • Moobs
    Moobs
    ✭✭✭
    Its 100g per skill point you have SPENT, not including what you ha e acquired but not spent. IE if you have 20 skill points total, invested 16 of them, and have 4 unspent, itll cost you 1600g

Hmm, so do you have to reset all of them, or can you choose to only reset some of them?

For example I've put 10 points in Stamina and 10 in Magicka. I want 20 points in Magicka. Will I have to spend 1,000g or 2,000?
    Edited by Moobs on April 2, 2014 9:30AM
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    It will reset all of them, there is no partial reset currently.
  • Moobs
    Moobs
    ✭✭✭
    Xionar wrote: »
    It will reset all of them, there is no partial reset currently.

Thanks.

• Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, something I forgot to mention, if you really want to respec before you get to the second zone, you can quite simply run to wayrest! There is no imaginary wall stopping you from running there :P just beware of the mobs that are likely larger than you.
  • Intrapolly
    Not being able to respec your character immediately in early areas, in my mind, seems to be an unnecessary restriction on players. It shouldn't hurt anything to allow and makes some people happy. Ironically, I don't think players should respec early on, even if you make a few mistakes, it's hard for it to impact your game progress dramatically.
    Edited by Intrapolly on April 2, 2014 12:33PM
  • myblackbox123
    myblackbox123
    ✭✭
    I agree on allowing a free point reset. Having to wait until 20 to reset points is "lame".

Most of us have played Skyrim, but this isn't like we can just reload a saved game if we make a mistake or regretfully allocate a point to a skill which didn't meet our expectations.

Newbie zones are for new players, we should be free to experiment on skills to feel out our play style and test new skills without penalty. How many of us are wondering what X skill does and go to Youtube to see what it does? Why should we need to do that?
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still not buying it.

No matter how you spend your skill points, by level 9, there is no conceivable combination of skill points that should make encounters unsurvivable. I'm going to guess that you skipped the starter islands, so why not go back there and get some skyshards? Or collect some in your current area. Or get a friend to help you level to 10 and go get skill points in Cyrodiil.

There is no conceivable reason that you should need to respec before reaching the next major area, and even then, respecs are pretty pointless in a game with 300+ skill points.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Detri50
    Detri50
    Just run to wayrest. It's not that hard...sneak if you have to.
  • ANTI
    ANTI
    My biggest concern with the skill system is if you want to reset one skill you have to pay for your whole skill tree to be reset. When I'm choosing how to morph a skill, sometimes I'd like to be able to try out both morphs to see which one I find more efficient. But with the current system you are extremely punished for even wanting to just test-drive morphs. Its not a very friendly system in its current state.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANTI wrote: »
    My biggest concern with the skill system is if you want to reset one skill you have to pay for your whole skill tree to be reset. When I'm choosing how to morph a skill, sometimes I'd like to be able to try out both morphs to see which one I find more efficient. But with the current system you are extremely punished for even wanting to just test-drive morphs. Its not a very friendly system in its current state.

Can you give an example of a skill morph which requires "test-driving"? Most of the tooltips (at least that I've seen) are extremely specific, and the morphs are so radically different that you should be able to tell which one best suits your playstyle. All that said, the reason you have to pay is that they need to at least create the illusion that your choices matter. Otherwise, people can just constantly respec their character instead of giving their choices weight.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Rizbin
    Rizbin
    Soul Shriven
    I'm still not buying it.

No matter how you spend your skill points, by level 9, there is no conceivable combination of skill points that should make encounters unsurvivable. I'm going to guess that you skipped the starter islands, so why not go back there and get some skyshards? Or collect some in your current area. Or get a friend to help you level to 10 and go get skill points in Cyrodiil.

There is no conceivable reason that you should need to respec before reaching the next major area, and even then, respecs are pretty pointless in a game with 300+ skill points.

Id have to disagree. What if early on you were dumping points in crafting and decided it wasn't worth it, or a weapon skill you NEVER use? Also you forget that a majority of those 300+ points are in other factions zones which you cant access before level 50.
  • ZurinArctus
    ZurinArctus
    ✭✭✭
    For Daggerfall you can respec at the Temple of the Divines in Wayrest. There are two additional shrines here, Akatosh and Stendarr. I think Akatosh is attributes and Stendarr is skill points. You pay 100g per attribute or skill point you're refuding. This only applies to spent points, so unspent do not count.

Seems like you can do it as many times as you want if you have the money. The price does not increase either.
  • Rizbin
    Rizbin
    Soul Shriven
    Seems like you can do it as many times as you want if you have the money. The price does not increase either.

Actually the price goes up 100 gold for each skill point you rest. I.E. 12 skill points 1200 gold.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rizbin wrote: »
    Id have to disagree. What if early on you were dumping points in crafting and decided it wasn't worth it, or a weapon skill you NEVER use? Also you forget that a majority of those 300+ points are in other factions zones which you cant access before level 50.

Well, it would be difficult-to-impossible to dump all your points into crafting that early on, unless you were saving them (at that point, I would assume you had some grand plan in your head as to how that would work). But even if you spent points on a weapon skill you never use, you can either use it or just do regular hits with the weapon you are using.

I've had no trouble just hitting enemies at my level and killing them without the use of any special damage-dealing abilities. Is it harder than it would be with a skill point in something for damage? Yes. Does that mean that you need to respec that early? Not at all.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Ragnafrak
    Ragnafrak
    ✭✭
    Rizbin wrote: »
    Also you forget that a majority of those 300+ points are in other factions zones which you cant access before level 50.

A great way to get some more points early on is to hit Cyrodiil as soon as you hit 10.

You get 2 points for completing the welcome to cyrodiil quests (about 10-15 minutes), and there are 15SP worth of skyshards to discover.
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭
    So to clarify,
    + You can respect your character at any time.
    +100gold per skill point used; as pricing.

The only issue people will have is the first trip to their factions nearest respect shrine. After your first trip there just make sure that you activate the nearest way shrine so as to allow you to fast travel there in the future, for future respects.

Does this sound correct?
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all those claiming this penalizes players below lvl 20. You can go into any zone in your alliance at any level. You'll just have to be careful to avoid enemies. If you're smart about it, it's doable. I trotted to Bangkorai [lvl 40 zone] as a lvl 15. I just didn't attempt to kill anything... except that one pack of wolves, which quickly taught me a lesson in pain.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    To all those claiming this penalizes players below lvl 20. You can go into any zone in your alliance at any level. You'll just have to be careful to avoid enemies. If you're smart about it, it's doable. I trotted to Bangkorai [lvl 40 zone] as a lvl 15. I just didn't attempt to kill anything... except that one pack of wolves, which quickly taught me a lesson in pain.

can't you just "travel to player" of a higher level person near the shrine if finding it really difficult to navigate? I haven't tried I'm just curious.

VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still not buying it.

The only thing I would say about this is that the group content (say Grotto, for example) is punishing on an on-level tank who has not specced properly by that point. I have no issues with that at all -- I like that early content is not trivial but is quite challenging on level and requires certain builds. That's fine. But not allowing people to redo their builds at that level is kind of a doubly-punishing design -- it places a huge emphasis on investing every single point from the very first absolutely properly if you want to perform well in those early group settings. Most other games deal with that problem by tanking the difficulty of early things, which this doesn't do, and I support that decision. But it's very punishing on certain class roles in the early going if they are not making excellent decisions each and every point from the very first, all with a view of performance in that first group "dungeon".
  • Eiregirl
    Eiregirl
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have seen while playing and talking to players there are a lot of us who have never played an elder scrolls game out there. I think it would have been a very good idea for the development team to have made is so skill points could be arranged at will until level 10 or level 15 and then if a reset is wanted make it cost 100 gold per skill point instead of waiting until level 20 and having to do a full reset. This would have made the game a little more forgiving to brand new players like me who have never played this game or any other elder scrolls game.