Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why are Crowns shared between servers when literally nothing else is?

Zulera301
Zulera301
✭✭✭✭✭
Title says it all really, unless it's just a $greed$ issue. if by chance I play on both servers (not that I would at this point, but I used to in the past), I'd have to pay double the price just to outfit my account with the same goodies on both servers.
and yet, I can't transfer any of my characters, gold, achievements, etc between servers, so why are crowns and ONLY crowns shared between servers?
It's just never made sense to me unless my initial theory is actually true.
Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
"Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greedy ZOS is greedy
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably because crowns are purchased through the website account system, which knows nothing about your server activity. They didn't have a reason to implement an extra step where you choose which server to attribute crowns too. It's the same for chapters and ESO+, all through the same purchase process.

That said, the fact that DLC is server bound is the most insane thing.
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ingame purchases are tied to your 'account'(You have 1 per server), and Chapters, ESO+ and Crowns are tied to your ZOS and /or Steam account.

Shortsightedness is probably the main reason it is handled this way, although the reason it isn't rectified is $.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The better you may spend them, dear."
    - Big bad wolf
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PROFIT

as the current method creates unto 6 whales from 1
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ESO+ and chapters are shared between servers too. And please let it be as is :D
    It would be nice to have the bought DLC shared. But I doubt it will be implemented.

As for ingame currencies, I think its fair to have the separate money/ap pools for each server. It is good for servers economics.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s one of those weird functional things that made sense to someone once upon a time.

It is actually useful as it prevents players who play on multiple servers from having to have more than one wallet of crowns.

The question really should be, why are my purchases not shared between servers.

That is the really rude profit gouging element in all of this.
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    There is actually a very legitimate reason (unfortunate as it is) for this mechanic. The problem is that the crown store sells both account/server wide things like costumes, mounts, pets, dlc, but it also sells consumables. The first is something that is easy to keep track of, but when you add the bookkeeping that is necessary for consumables, it becomes a huge mess, as consumables are character wide. Furthermore, things like motifs are more troublesome, as they can, in fact, affect in-game currencies for writ vouchers and gold (via writs). Then, of course, are the furnishings, which make things even more silly. So, yes, there's a reason they keep them separate, and it largely has to do with bookkeeping, which is not as simple as it looks.

Alassirana
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other people have said anything you buy through the game - aka crownstore purchases - is server specific and anything you buy through the website (or 3rd party retailers - e.g. boxed expansions) is applied to both servers.

For example I bought the Imperial Edition Upgrade through the website back before the crown store was introduced - it's identical to the one sold in the crown store but because I bought it on the website I have it on both servers. And on the other side if someone buys Morrowind through the crown store they'll only have it on the one server even though people who bought it as a chapter through the website have it on both.

It probably is just short-sightedness or simplicity in setting it up. To change it they'd have to add steps - either for you to specify which server you want your website purchases applied to (and then support processes to fix it when someone picks the wrong one) or a way for the servers to update each other when you make a crown store purchase so it's copied over.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't even think about it when setting up the crown store, and new consider people who play on both and are unwilling to buy crown store items twice too much of a minority to justify the time required to create and maintain a system to copy the data between servers. Which then gets to be a vicious circle because players don't want to start playing on the other server knowing their purchases won't be available.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • DaNnYtHePcFrEaK
    DaNnYtHePcFrEaK
    ✭✭✭
    Yet cp cant be shared?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An account covers both servers. That is why crowns are available on both servers but it is only one balance. It makes total sense. Especially since it would require a more complicated purchase system to buy crowns.

I have seen in other games the tokens purchased to buy items in the cash shop were account wide but once spent on one server the balance was reduced on all servers. Nothing new here.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    who can $ay?
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • DaNnYtHePcFrEaK
    DaNnYtHePcFrEaK
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    An account covers both servers. That is why crowns are available on both servers but it is only one balance. It makes total sense. Especially since it would require a more complicated purchase system to buy crowns.

I have seen in other games the tokens purchased to buy items in the cash shop were account wide but once spent on one server the balance was reduced on all servers. Nothing new here.

I wish they would make cp account based... I've got 1202 on EU and 400+ on NA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

I wish they would make cp account based... I've got 1202 on EU and 400+ on NA

What is gained in game is server side only. What is gained outside of the game is shared on both servers for the account.

Many of us are CP capped on both servers. Sadly some on multiple accounts as it shows we have spent to much time in game.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Money, money, money
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DLC bought without crowns (like bundled with "chapter") is not region locked. Like all DLC I have. If crown purchased DLC is locked to one region, I simply will not purchase any DLC from Crown Shop ever.
    Edited by rpa on November 20, 2019 6:20AM
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least something is account wide, be happy! Shoot, they could make you redeem crowns between server and not account.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason had something to do with European and American laws that prevents an item purchased from EU to be transferred to NA without a *** ton of paper work so it is just easier to not to do it.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    The reason had something to do with European and American laws that prevents an item purchased from EU to be transferred to NA without a *** ton of paper work so it is just easier to not to do it.

I don't think so. Ingame items do not have monetary value because that would cause serious legal troubles with gamble crates.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be fair to give some players more purchasing power than others. If you buy 1500 crowns, you get 1500 crowns to spend.

And then there's the side issue of how you would feel if there were a very large accumulated balance of crowns on a server you never want to use. Inevitably there would be threads and tickets asking to transfer the unspent crown balance to the preferred server. But it was never intended to work like that. Buying 1500 isn't supposed to give you 3000.
    signing off
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    Title says it all really, unless it's just a $greed$ issue. if by chance I play on both servers (not that I would at this point, but I used to in the past), I'd have to pay double the price just to outfit my account with the same goodies on both servers.
    and yet, I can't transfer any of my characters, gold, achievements, etc between servers, so why are crowns and ONLY crowns shared between servers?

Because it disadvantages you in every way and advantages them in every way.

It's like this ancient meme:
    Because F you, that's why!!!
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    3af566_004-3-affen-bestochen-u-m-geld-gestopft-.jpg
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I understand right from some googling, region locking of "chapters" / DLC may be different for consoles and PC.

Anyone know whether chapters / DLC on PC purchased from crown store are region locked or not?

Edit: I'm currently levelling a char at NA. Not because EU performance but because rarity of PTR copy for EU chars. And just for fun.
    Edited by rpa on November 20, 2019 10:45AM
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is anoying, i moved to the NA server mostly due to the fact that Eu is constantly breaking and a minor reason because i know someone who plays on NA.

Doing ment i left behind some houses and mounts i could not get back on NA without repaying which hurts a lot.
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    The question really should be, why are my purchases not shared between servers.

• chess1ukb16_ESO
    chess1ukb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    GREED
    Ireniicus
    GM - Tamriel Traders Guild (TTG); Divine Deals; Allmart & The Alchemist Emporium
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you see to much evil intention in here. If it was really about greed, well crowns wouldn't be shared.

Also just think about how managing the monthly crown income for subscribers. You would had to pick a server everytimes. Its a lot of coding for no purpose at all.

For real complaining about it is like telling everyones that you will whine no mather what guys.
    Edited by david_m_18b16_ESO on November 20, 2019 11:41AM
  • chess1ukb16_ESO
    chess1ukb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of you see to much evil intention in here. If it was really about greed, well crowns wouldn't be shared.

Also just think about how managing the monthly crown income for subscribers. You would had to pick a server everytimes. Its a lot of coding for no purpose at all.

For real complaining about it is like telling everyone that you will whine no mather what guys.

It's not evil. All Corporations including our beloved Developer's sole purpose is to make a profit for its owners. The question here is whether restricting cross-server access to so many account data points except crown store is an overly cynical design choice. The Dev has made the choice to make it much harder to change servers because of this choice and we are simply expressing our disagreement with it. If you take a step back and look at it, it's not a good look that they always 'appear ' to prioritise crown store over everything else.
    Edited by chess1ukb16_ESO on November 20, 2019 12:09PM
    Ireniicus
    GM - Tamriel Traders Guild (TTG); Divine Deals; Allmart & The Alchemist Emporium
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    If I understand right from some googling, region locking of "chapters" / DLC may be different for consoles and PC.

Anyone know whether chapters / DLC on PC purchased from crown store are region locked or not?

Edit: I'm currently levelling a char at NA. Not because EU performance but because rarity of PTR copy for EU chars. And just for fun.

Crown store bought DLC is region locked on PC.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »

I am really not seeing the issue with crowns being shared across accounts.

There is an argument and discussion to be had surrounding why other aspects are not shared across accounts, for some there will be perfectly valid reasons, others probably not so much.

However why would you want crowns NOT to be shared? Have I missed something? Crowns are real world money transferred in game, what difference does it make? I'm not seeing it. It is YOU, as in real world you, that has the Crowns to spend and use across ESO as you see fit. Im not seeing a major issue but happy to be enlightened...