Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pressing "Shift" no longer stops an emote

Kashya_Vulano
Kashya_Vulano
✭✭✭
Heyo,

Don't know if it's a bug or not, but ever since the last couple patches, pressing "Shift" no longer stops an emote mid-emote. Is this intentional, or a bug? Regardless, it's rather annoying for RPers.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They changed the way sprinting works in the last major patch to help with server load. It ended up making it so sprinting only counts when you're actually in motion so pressing shift no longer cancels emotes. Its been driving me crazy and forcing me to tap a movement key super fast to cancel an emote.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Kashya_Vulano
    Kashya_Vulano
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, ugh. That's incredibly annoying. If they made some kind of keybind specifically for stopping emotes, that'd be useful. Doubt they will, though.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Kashya_Vulano @Vevvev
    Oh, ugh. That's incredibly annoying. If they made some kind of keybind specifically for stopping emotes, that'd be useful. Doubt they will, though.
    Maybe an add-on developer will quickly create a simple add-on to bind a key to stop emotes in progress, but, IMHO, that is not necessary.

When I want to stop an emote in progress, such as my character playing a musical instrument, I just click the Right Mouse Button. IIRC the character just stops the emote without "blocking" with their weapon or shield.

Also, whenever I want a Mounted character to dismount, I click the Right Mouse Button. If I hold the RMB down, the character will dismount and Block. That is a signal in Cyrodiil that you don't intend to engage in combat with any other player's character who may be in the vicinity.

Edited by Shadowshire on November 20, 2019 6:11PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Kashya_Vulano
    Kashya_Vulano
    ✭✭✭

When I want to stop an emote in progress, such as my character playing a musical instrument, I just click the Right Mouse Button. IIRC the character just stops the emote without "blocking" with their weapon or shield.

Unfortunately, the right mouse button does cause them to block, regardless of whether or not they're holding a shield. I tested that just now, just to be sure.

I still think a hotkey isn't too much to ask for. It's one little input command for coding.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the right mouse button does cause them to block, regardless of whether or not they're holding a shield. I tested that just now, just to be sure.
    In my experience playing on PC NA, clicking the Right Mouse Button does not show the Block animation unless I hold the button down. If the character actually does Block with a simple RMB click, then I cannot recall recognizing the action and outcome. So, when I want a character to Block, I press the RMB and hold it down long enough to trigger the animation.

Nonetheless, I agree that ZOS should add a standard key control to cancel emotes. We can bind a key to open the Chat Window text entry field with a slash as the first character, whether to enter an emote command. (I bind that to the < / > key, of course.)

Else, someone must write and distribute an add-on to cancel an emote in progress. When they do so, then I suppose that they might also design it so that a player can create some key-binds that, when used, execute an emote configured by the player. (I don't know whether an add-on such as that has been already been created at some time during the past 5+ years.)

For what it's worth, by using add-ons (such as Pet Dismiss) as well two-key combinations (such as Ctrl-S), I have many hot keys to toggle something on/off, or to execute some specific action. So many that sometimes I cannot recall whether I have a hot key to do something, or, if I do, which key-bind effects it. :smiley:

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi