Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestion: remove dmg dependency on size of stam / mag pool

• Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    kojou wrote: »
    IMO, the game would be a lot easier to balance, and provide for the flexibility you want if Stamina would be just used for feats (Sprint, Block, Bash, Sneak, etc) and Magicka was used for all skills.

if this happened, you would literally only have one build for each class for dps that would be "viable", instead of the 2 we have now. that is bad. not sure how you dont see this.

The downside is that min/max builds would look more the same than they already are (if that is possible). Build variety would likely increase in PvP though given that you could combine pretty much anything.

oh, you do see this, but you would just have everyone running the same builds in pvp, too, unless there is some fundamental game changes because what you are asking for. the game would just be completely different then it is now, might as well not even be called elder scrolls online at that point.

Ya... That "Stam for block dodge sprint and mag for skills" was how the game was originally designed... And how it became known as "elder staves online" because no one used physical weapons, and also was changed very very quickly.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vyvrhel wrote: »
    Hybrids being competitive in ESO means the death of any diversity or semblance of balance left in the game. I don't know what good stuff you're smoking, but I do not care.

Yet again you are so very wrong. Do you have anything to support such a claim?
    At least think about this: if hybrids were intentionally uncompetitive, why did they allow to go hybrid. Just to trap unsuspecting newbies? This is laughable.

What you say is that going meta (with only a very slight differences) is the original intent. In this case there is no reason why to bother with any leveling and point distribution. You just should pick one of the pre-ready metas at the beginning, and then go killing stuff.

I know you are used to your build and you are OK woth that but just face it the only thing you did was to adapt to the unnatural conditions this combat system create. Yeah one of my alts, for example, is an altmer petsorc in Necro set. It works. But it is uniform and boring.

I do.

At the first days of this game, everyone was an hybrid. The most important resource was health. And everyone went for AoE dmg skills.

At some point it became boring. Everyone running in LA spamming pulsar and then changing to Steelnado when magicka was depleted
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The intent is for non-optimal things to be viable.
    Well in that case they failed badly. Because the non optimal builds are not viable. Once you deviate from the meta, the dps drop is significant. The passives you must have do a big difference. And this is my point.

As you mention a DK this is one shining example of a wrong skillset since IIRC (I do not play my DK alt much) the meta uses more weapon specific skills than the class skills.

That's not true.

Every build is viable, but min maxers are competitive

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »
    If someone struggles with "common overland mobs", then the issue isn't the build.
    The single player games didn't really offer better balance and/or more build diversity, they were just lacking hard content and competition, so there was simply no reason to "optimize" builds. And the same applies to the majority of this game too. Overland, quests, story, normal grp content, even pvp to some extent, can be done with literally any build just fine, so there is really not that much difference.

Well I seriously doubt you would be able to do well with, say, a Bosmer "battlemage" sorc who would mix magic, 2h and a bow in a vet dung. I dare to say you would have hard times to break something like 5K dps depending on your equip.

That build is viable, though not competeitive.

Can you see the difference?

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Break the dependency between maximum stamina / magicka and damage output.

It makes no sense at all (well I am aware this is a high fantasy but still) and it also kills a build diversity. You cannot have a "viable" endgame damage build without fully commited magicka or stamina.

The next good step would be to update racial passives so there are no magicka or stamina races. An Altmer swordsman, what a joke. Or an Orc mage. At least in top tier group play.

Simply put, let players merilly mix swords and sorcery even in endgame group play. This game IS about group play, right?

Why? If you want to play altemer swordsman, just do it. If you want to play orc mage, just do it. Racial passives make little difference if you know how to play. If you do 40k on altemer mage, you might do around 37-38k on orc. 1-3k dps loss should not be a problem unless if you are trying to break a world record of clearing trials and stuff.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    At the very least, there should be more transparency as to exactly how much damage stat pools are adding, and exactly how much weapon/spell damage adds.

"Your current heavy attack/light attack/ specific skill damage is X, of which Y comes from stats, Z comes from weapon/spell damage, and W comes from Champion Points. This damage is in turn affected by A on average mobs and B on boss type mobs due to your penetration value P."

But yeah, kind of agree that they should do away with stat based damage. The status quo is not acceptable, and just another way that the player base at large is stymied when trying to figure out optimal ways to do the harder content.

@buttaface

This is pretty much known. It has been awhile since I looked at it but for most skills it is something like 10.5 stam/mag to 1 WD/SD. That is approximate but close enough for anyone to consider the effect of different sets.

Of course there are some skills that are skewed but it is a very small set of skills. Sorc pets and magicka based shields have mostly scaled off magicka. ofc, shields do have a cap based on max health.

As for OP, that change likely will not happen as there are some balance issues that would come about that do not exist now since we have to make a choice or will be weaker.
  • LapisLazuli99
    LapisLazuli99
    ✭✭✭
    I usually play stam over mag so I'm not an expert but wouldnt this obliterate most Mag builds compared to Stam?
    Xbox One - NA
    GT - Lapis Lazuli 99

AD - Orc Dragonknight
    AD - Breton Sorcerer
    AD - High Elf Nightblade
    AD - High Elf Templar
    AD - Wood Elf Warden
    AD - Khajiit Necromancer
    AD - High Elf Arcanist
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I usually play stam over mag so I'm not an expert but wouldnt this obliterate most Mag builds compared to Stam?

Yup, yea it would some. The most heavily effected would be mag sorc, followed by MagWarden and Magblades.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • jeskah
    jeskah
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Yup, yea it would some. The most heavily effected would be mag sorc, followed by MagWarden and Magblades.

A) Yes of course
    B) Since such a change would mean a major overhaul of the combat system (comparable something like between the soft-caps removal and the weapon/spelldamage normalization) it alone would mean a major rebalancing (even minor things, like jewelry enchants).

However, untieing damage from resource pool have its merits, especially on the long run, not to mention offers the possibility for the players to really make some choice/diversion on their stats. (especially in PVE, everyone go with may primary stat, and hell with everything else).

However, regarding the resource types, i would have an additional or completely different approach:

Removing stamina morphs entirely.

No, please, put down the pitchforks!

Now, lets go back a few years, when the game was out and called Elder Robes/staffs Online and with reason.

Every single skill was magicka based, every ultimate scaled from magicka, destro and resto staff skilline scaled from magicka, every other skillline scaled from stamina.

Bash, block, sprint, rolldodge, break free - the active defensive abilities- used and scaled from stamina.

The skills themselves scaled either weapon or spelldamage, and respectively weapon or spellcrit, weapon skills scaled from weapon damage and weapon crit (altough we were underinformed as hell, and most of this was educated guesswork and i vaguely remember, that there were some odd ones, using weapon damage and spellcrit - this is the reason, why we still find odd sets with stats that makes no sense at all).

Of course, to add complexity, the type of the damage (fire, poison, etc) also took play, and only physical damage used physical penetration, everything else used spell pen (including poison damage).

Good ole days!

Yes, it was confusing as hell. We did not known jack ***.

Practically, from day1, every stamina user - and in this case, everyone, who wanted to use anything else than staves as a DPS cried for stamina morphs.

Again, IMHO, it was the wrong way. Instead of aligning to the weapon skill lines, devs should have aligned to the skills, not to mention, that since all of the active defensive abilities - a trademark of the game - were and still stamina based, this change would have divided defensive and offensive stats clearly:
    You want to be a rolldodging rogue? OK, but no more high damage for you/many offensive skill resource for you.
    Permablocking caster? OK, but 3 skills and you are out.

The difference between the playstyles would have been remained either way: melee or ranged? Physical damage or elemental damage?
    Staffs or swords?

A little bit more build diversity, a little bit more interesting PVP, maybe an easier way to balance skills (ok, we are just getting out of the "this morph now uses stamina, and thats it" type skills, but still).

Of course, since till day 1, the devs (the previous devs at least) hated DW caster and other oddities with a passion, maybe this is a no-go since start.
    For sure, this would have been a hell of work. I do not think they have the resources to do this kind of thing - too late to venture to the road not taken.
    (However, joining the penetration debuffs in the latest patch.... )

Oh, and im a stamina sorcerer since day 1 :)
    So really put down the pitchfork.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jeskah wrote: »

A) Yes of course
    B) Since such a change would mean a major overhaul of the combat system (comparable something like between the soft-caps removal and the weapon/spelldamage normalization) it alone would mean a major rebalancing (even minor things, like jewelry enchants).

However, untieing damage from resource pool have its merits, especially on the long run, not to mention offers the possibility for the players to really make some choice/diversion on their stats. (especially in PVE, everyone go with may primary stat, and hell with everything else).

However, regarding the resource types, i would have an additional or completely different approach:

Now, lets go back a few years, when the game was out and called Elder Robes/staffs Online and with reason.

Every single skill was magicka based, every ultimate scaled from magicka, destro and resto staff skilline scaled from magicka, every other skillline scaled from stamina.

Bash, block, sprint, rolldodge, break free - the active defensive abilities- used and scaled from stamina.

The skills themselves scaled either weapon or spelldamage, and respectively weapon or spellcrit, weapon skills scaled from weapon damage and weapon crit (altough we were underinformed as hell, and most of this was educated guesswork and i vaguely remember, that there were some odd ones, using weapon damage and spellcrit - this is the reason, why we still find odd sets with stats that makes no sense at all).

Of course, to add complexity, the type of the damage (fire, poison, etc) also took play, and only physical damage used physical penetration, everything else used spell pen (including poison damage).

Good ole days!

Practically, from day1, every stamina user - and in this case, everyone, who wanted to use anything else than staves as a DPS cried for stamina morphs.

Again, IMHO, it was the wrong way. Instead of aligning to the weapon skill lines, devs should have aligned to the skills, not to mention, that since all of the active defensive abilities - a trademark of the game - were and still stamina based, this change would have divided defensive and offensive stats clearly:
    You want to be a rolldodging rogue? OK, but no more high damage for you/many offensive skill resource for you.

The difference between the playstyles would have been remained either way: melee or ranged? Physical damage or elemental damage?
    Staffs or swords?

A little bit more build diversity, a little bit more interesting PVP, maybe an easier way to balance skills (ok, we are just getting out of the "this morph now uses stamina, and thats it" type skills, but still).

Of course, since till day 1, the devs (the previous devs at least) hated DW caster and other oddities with a passion, maybe this is a no-go since start.
    For sure, this would have been a hell of work. I do not think they have the resources to do this kind of thing - too late to venture to the road not taken.

That’s interesting and I didn’t know the game evolved like that.

I don’t think the devs will do it, the cost/benefit will be too low. Balance is ever changing but imagine starting from scratch again, you’d feel like you’re constantly going in circles.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 19, 2019 9:38PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    IMO, the game would be a lot easier to balance, and provide for the flexibility you want if Stamina would be just used for feats (Sprint, Block, Bash, Sneak, etc) and Magicka was used for all skills.

if this happened, you would literally only have one build for each class for dps that would be "viable", instead of the 2 we have now. that is bad. not sure how you dont see this.

The downside is that min/max builds would look more the same than they already are (if that is possible). Build variety would likely increase in PvP though given that you could combine pretty much anything.

oh, you do see this, but you would just have everyone running the same builds in pvp, too, unless there is some fundamental game changes because what you are asking for. the game would just be completely different then it is now, might as well not even be called elder scrolls online at that point.

Ya... That "Stam for block dodge sprint and mag for skills" was how the game was originally designed... And how it became known as "elder staves online" because no one used physical weapons, and also was changed very very quickly.

Not quite...

Weapon Skills for 1H and Shield, 2 handed, and dual wield cost stamina and damage was based on weapon damange and weapon crit. What I am saying in this hypothetical situation is that even those skills would cost magicka and there would be a unified damage and crit value.

There were also some weird class skills that cost magicka and scaled on weapon damage pre v1.5, but I digress...

Either way my suggestion is purely a hypothetical way to accomplish what the OP desires and nothing more.
    Playing since beta...
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

A) Yes of course

Good ole days!

Staffs or swords?

Well consider the following:

- Dark Elf and Khajiit passives
    - New Moon Acolyte (and a lot of other new craftable sets that give aligned Magicka and Stamina bonuses)
    - Lover Mundus
    - the new generic "Armor" Set Bonus

I also agree that the correct direction was to align damage to Magicka and defense to Stamina. More and more the developers are making things universal Stamina vs Magicka, so we may get something like what we are suggesting eventually.

*My first class was a Stamina Nightblade (although I play a little bit of everything now) for full disclosure.
    Playing since beta...
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably the only way I could see it is they wanted to just merge all dmg values.

Merge the mag/stam Pen/crit/dmg values into one table rather then 2. Highly doubtful, but if they went this route can see why /shrug.
    Edited by karekiz on November 22, 2019 4:12PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ship sailed a long time ago.
    I don't see ZoS changing such a fundamental part of the game at this stage
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fundamental change of this magnitude (it would be huge) should not even be considered unless you are 99% sure its going to wildly help with performance. I can't imagine it would. Also, someone that sacrifices one resource at the expense of another, (i.e. someone that stacks all into magic or stam), should have a significant advantage in that area.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    The game differentiates between magicka builds and stamina builds at what must be a dozen different levels. All the endgame builds will continue to specialize even with your change.

And my point is that this is wrong. Stamina should only help you to fight longer, as the magicka should help you to cast more spells. Both of the abilities are nothing (or SHOULD be nothing) than the "fuel" for the skills.
    Which simply redirects it back to crit chance and Spell/Weapon damage, effectively changing nothing.

There are scarce other pool skills that a build ever uses now. That wouldn't change - people would still go all in.

Because in the grand scheme, all other things being equal, higher pool = ability to fight longer. Longer fight = winner.

The boxer with high stamina cannot strike stronger in real life.
    Yeah this is not a real life. Then the swords should became ranged weapons.
    That same boxer doesn't invest in the ability to make a perfect souffle, either. Points will be placed where there is benefit. Right now, that is never the other stat pool.

You'l have to fundamentally change the game to entice alternate skills. That's not gonna happen.

Even if it did, there would still end up being a meta, top end, performs better than the other guys group of builds.

It's balance impossibility, because without a defined counter action for every action, something will always come out on top.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    This is pretty much known.

Well aware of the formula, what I was plainly asking for was plainly posted, more transparency in the actual tooltips.

• jeskah
    jeskah
    ✭✭✭

A) Yes of course

Good ole days!

Staffs or swords?

That’s interesting and I didn’t know the game evolved like that.

I don’t think the devs will do it, the cost/benefit will be too low. Balance is ever changing but imagine starting from scratch again, you’d feel like you’re constantly going in circles.

Yeah, the game evolved much. Sometimes nostalgia got me and i wish for a "classic" server. Preferably without the bugs :)

And yes, since they are extremely low on staff - at least the f.e. Alcast used to mention it all the times - the chances for such an overhaul is low.
    Especially since they seems to be finished the ability audit. (And so far it seems they flunked it.. or are they?)

However, some refurbishment sooner or later is needed (Khm, CP system), so maybe they can check this idea out too.

A) Yes of course

Good ole days!

Staffs or swords?

Well consider the following:

- Dark Elf and Khajiit passives
    - New Moon Acolyte (and a lot of other new craftable sets that give aligned Magicka and Stamina bonuses)
    - Lover Mundus
    - the new generic "Armor" Set Bonus

I also agree that the correct direction was to align damage to Magicka and defense to Stamina. More and more the developers are making things universal Stamina vs Magicka, so we may get something like what we are suggesting eventually.

*My first class was a Stamina Nightblade (although I play a little bit of everything now) for full disclosure.

Could mean anything. Encouraging magicka/stamina mixing was in the books since at latest (and again) Dark brotherhood (Pelinal) and since f.e. the Shacklebreaker is quite popular... who knows.
    The Dragonhold crafted sets are more or less on the extreme in this regard. Both stam and mag, no exceptions.
    A fundamental change of this magnitude (it would be huge) should not even be considered unless you are 99% sure its going to wildly help with performance. I can't imagine it would. Also, someone that sacrifices one resource at the expense of another, (i.e. someone that stacks all into magic or stam), should have a significant advantage in that area.

To be honest, no one knows, what the hell could increase performance. Not even ZOS :)
    Not the deers in cyro for sure :)

Now, using the two separate resource for different things would make things more interesting mostly in PVP. In PVE, maybe the decreased stamina (melee) survivability would for sure cause a riot and the shield question (which at this moment, is under control) would erupt again.

But IMHO, base game design, original philosophy-wise it would give back some, or at least give the option back. No more this morhp is either stamina or magicka, and you have pretty much no choice - maybe you can have one (bar the current situation, where one magicka morph is usually miles better than the other, so...)

Anyway, currently we are using the phrase "fundamental", "sweeping" changes for things that are clearly not: number changes. And for example, while the recent dot damage changes greatly affected the gameplay, it was nothing more than number crunching.

In the past we had things like abolition of soft caps, buff/debuff normalization, stat normalization.... those were fundamental changes.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    This is pretty much known.

Well aware of the formula, what I was plainly asking for was plainly posted, more transparency in the actual tooltips.

Probably to much information for a tooltip and not something I have seen in other games. Yet somehow the player base that is actually interested in the formulas figures this out. Again, we are able to know and have known. That is all that is needed.

And it is not like Zos is always very accurate or even correct with tooltips. Probably give people more wrong information that correct if they added such detail.
    Edited by idk on November 25, 2019 8:12PM