Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Explore a Renewed Southern Elsweyr in Dragonhold"

ZOS_SarahHecker
ZOS_SarahHecker
✭✭✭✭✭
c76b58aa165b09c381ca751b6f0c7158.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for "Explore a Renewed Southern Elsweyr in Dragonhold" blog article.

Decades ago, plague and fire ravaged the once-proud kingdom of Pellitine. Learn about the lawless wildlands of Southern Elsweyr (coming with the Dragonhold DLC) in this latest preview article.
Staff Post
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the final chapter of the cats and dragons publicity campaign? :D
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope so! We heard enough about dragons in every single 2019 DLCs. Time to move on.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »

Hope so! We heard enough about dragons in every single 2019 DLCs. Time to move on.

Gee, maybe because it had something to do with it being a Year Long story? Next year you get to complain about something else you're hearing enough of as well.

833ab1479f440fb19603889f0e858318.jpg

Really pretty concept art of the Zone ZOS, though it does reinforce the fact that landmasses are scaled down intensely in this game. I know it's done not only to save on data size but to also shove as much detail as you can onto the map, but honestly, I'd rather have an expanse full of nothing over a backyard of everything.

I also can tell I'm going to spend a lot of my time in that northern half where all the pretty dense forestry is.
    Edited by ArchMikem on October 15, 2019 9:50PM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a handful of offtopic and baiting comments. This is a friendly reminder to keep comments constructive and civil. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm exited to discover the South :)
    The North was amazing, hope the south gonna be as good !
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could never tire of dragons, so I am looking forward to Southern Elsweyr and the goodies it'll bring!
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Avariprivateer
    Avariprivateer
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose, given the nautical direction we are going in, that the next chapter will have sailing and sea combat? Location providing of course. There was a pirate MMO that was killed many years ago which still has fleets of refugees, hint hint.
    Edited by Avariprivateer on October 20, 2019 12:02AM
  • stankarp
    stankarp
    ✭✭
    I want to say the return of Abnur Tharn in the way ZOS have portrayed him leaves me very cold. As cold as the last 2 episodes of Game of Thrones(series 8). I was one of 800k petitioners who asked for a reshoot of GOT final series before the last 2 episodes were actually screened and the return of Abnur Tharn is as bad if not worse than the 180 about face by Danerys Taargaryen (forgive spelling). The only saving grace for me is I can continue to go to Star Wars movies since D&D were dropped (sorry too busy) to continue with their Star Wars commitments.

So the burning question, did D&D consult or write the *** return plot of Tharn, smells like it to me, or ZOS thought season 8 of GOT was realistic, plausible, believable, whatever and applied that logic.

A memory refresher, just after player character defeats Molag Bal in Cold Harbour, conversation.

Where is the Amulet of Kings? (Meridia)
    "As your enemy fell, the one you call Abnur Tharn took Chim-el Adabal and fled. He returns to the land from whence he came, the place you call Cyrodiil."
    He took the Amulet with him?
    "The Amulet's power has been expended for a generation or more. The Imperial will not be able to use it, nor will he profit from it, though he will spend many frustrated years in the attempt."

Am I the only one who has noticed a small problem here? Tharn wants to use and profit from the amulet.

So Tharn left as a thief and deserter to the companions, obviously planning to try to use the amulet for himself, and so therefore is being set up as a future major villain.

Yet he returns as some sort of Meridia like saviour and the player character NEVER challenges him over his past actions. And Sai NEVER asks what happened to the amulet, after all it was used to defeat a daedric god after Sai was sacrificed ( If you chose that option), Sai would think wouldn't it be fantastic if the player character still had the amulet and could use it against the dragons, smash them all to oblivion with a twitch of their fingers? No mention in my case as I chose Sai to power the amulet. And if Sai was not chosen and lived, wouldn't it be his FIRST question to Tharn?? Punch Tharn's lights out at first sight for taking the amulet and be called he-troll?

Given the history, it would have been far more appropriate/plausible for Tharn to be conspiring with the dragons(since he couldn't repower the amulet, and his intention, to profit from the amulet, was spelt out by Meridia) and Euraxia seeking the players help to stop Tharn. And Euraxia and the player character turning up at the Halls of Colossus just in time to see Tharn release the dragons and then escape. The whole return of Tharn plot leaves me very cold, maybe D&D wrote it for ZOS, but it really leaves me flat. And Tharn maybe dying to save the world just does not work, at least not without a proper explanation/discussion, challenge of Tharn over his actions in Cold Harbour.

Bring back Lyris so she can discover Tharn's weakened body after Dragonhold and smash him to bits with her hammer as he cries, feebly, someone control this she-troll!

The whole Tharn return is as bad as the Danerys 180 degree turn around in GOT, season 8, last 2 episodes.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stankarp wrote: »
    I want to say the return of Abnur Tharn in the way ZOS have portrayed him leaves me very cold. As cold as the last 2 episodes of Game of Thrones(series 8). I was one of 800k petitioners who asked for a reshoot of GOT final series before the last 2 episodes were actually screened and the return of Abnur Tharn is as bad if not worse than the 180 about face by Danerys Taargaryen (forgive spelling). The only saving grace for me is I can continue to go to Star Wars movies since D&D were dropped (sorry too busy) to continue with their Star Wars commitments.

So the burning question, did D&D consult or write the *** return plot of Tharn, smells like it to me, or ZOS thought season 8 of GOT was realistic, plausible, believable, whatever and applied that logic.

A memory refresher, just after player character defeats Molag Bal in Cold Harbour, conversation.

"As your enemy fell, the one you call Abnur Tharn took Chim-el Adabal and fled. He returns to the land from whence he came, the place you call Cyrodiil."
    "The Amulet's power has been expended for a generation or more. The Imperial will not be able to use it, nor will he profit from it, though he will spend many frustrated years in the attempt."

Am I the only one who has noticed a small problem here? Tharn wants to use and profit from the amulet.

So Tharn left as a thief and deserter to the companions, obviously planning to try to use the amulet for himself, and so therefore is being set up as a future major villain.

Yet he returns as some sort of Meridia like saviour and the player character NEVER challenges him over his past actions. And Sai NEVER asks what happened to the amulet, after all it was used to defeat a daedric god after Sai was sacrificed ( If you chose that option), Sai would think wouldn't it be fantastic if the player character still had the amulet and could use it against the dragons, smash them all to oblivion with a twitch of their fingers? No mention in my case as I chose Sai to power the amulet. And if Sai was not chosen and lived, wouldn't it be his FIRST question to Tharn?? Punch Tharn's lights out at first sight for taking the amulet and be called he-troll?

Given the history, it would have been far more appropriate/plausible for Tharn to be conspiring with the dragons(since he couldn't repower the amulet, and his intention, to profit from the amulet, was spelt out by Meridia) and Euraxia seeking the players help to stop Tharn. And Euraxia and the player character turning up at the Halls of Colossus just in time to see Tharn release the dragons and then escape. The whole return of Tharn plot leaves me very cold, maybe D&D wrote it for ZOS, but it really leaves me flat. And Tharn maybe dying to save the world just does not work, at least not without a proper explanation/discussion, challenge of Tharn over his actions in Cold Harbour.

Bring back Lyris so she can discover Tharn's weakened body after Dragonhold and smash him to bits with her hammer as he cries, feebly, someone control this she-troll!

The whole Tharn return is as bad as the Danerys 180 degree turn around in GOT, season 8, last 2 episodes.

It's like the writers aren't the same and they have never read any of the main quest for this game. I loved Tharn and was looking forward to getting to interact with him again. And even though I've never sacrificed Sai at the end of the main quest I was still left scratching my head over his return. Overall this has all been really poorly done.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    stankarp wrote: »

You're painting Tharn as a villain, when he's really not.

So he bailed after the Molag Bal fight? Who cares. He doesn't like the Companions and didn't want to be a part of the 'new' Companions. They constantly fight and cannot stand each other. He did what he had to to help save the world and had no reason or obligation to stay with them afterward.

He took the Amulet, but I hardly say the stole it. It didn't belong to Lyris or Sai, and Tharn is the one who best understands it of the group. Lyris barely knew what was going on for most of the questline. Sai would probably put the Amulet into a crypt for a certain necromancer to find. Maybe Tharn thought it could help stop the war in Cyrodiil and restore the Empire, the whole reason he pursued the dragon tablet later (although ZOS likely didn't plan years ahead for his return in Elsweyr).

Calling him a thief, deserter, and villain is just reaching.