The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The “Easy Sorc” build

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    I respect all the posters on this thread, however, it would be helpful if those of you who question the effective performance of this particular build and its comparison to other "meta" builds post some bona fide parses showing Combat Metrics.

I'm not good at doing parses, but I know many here are highly competent and post parses regularly many builds.

That would be more germaine to this discussion, imo. Thank you for consideration. :)

There were parses done back when Elsweyr was first released.

Might want to check Xy's parses. He actually understands how to run the build, and isn't letting UI drop off to "prove" a point. This is, at least, the third time you've presented a parse of one of Xy's builds that clearly didn't follow the build's mechanics so you could say, "see, it's garbage."
    Xynode's Easy Sorc (directly pulled rotation, gear, and CP from his website)

But ok, I guess you think that a build literally called "Easy Sorc" is sooooooo difficult for an end-game player to do correctly. Ironic that you're making that claim no?

I already have a litany of videos scheduled to make to clear up common misconceptions on end-game PvE in ESO though, so what's one more on top of that?

I mean, there's always the possibility of honest testing. I realize you've got an agenda, but if you're going to fudge things, you want to be a little more subtle about them.

Case in point:

GHoShUW.jpg

Your parse of "Xynode Easy Sorc" doesn't have UI on the buff list. So, either you let it fall off because of poor rotation management, or you deliberately never enabled the buff.
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respect all the posters on this thread, however, it would be helpful if those of you who question the effective performance of this particular build and its comparison to other "meta" builds post some bona fide parses showing Combat Metrics.

I'm not good at doing parses, but I know many here are highly competent and post parses regularly many builds.

That would be more germaine to this discussion, imo. Thank you for consideration. :)

Might want to check Xy's parses. He actually understands how to run the build, and isn't letting UI drop off to "prove" a point. This is, at least, the third time you've presented a parse of one of Xy's builds that clearly didn't follow the build's mechanics so you could say, "see, it's garbage."

But ok, I guess you think that a build literally called "Easy Sorc" is sooooooo difficult for an end-game player to do correctly. Ironic that you're making that claim no?

I already have a litany of videos scheduled to make to clear up common misconceptions on end-game PvE in ESO though, so what's one more on top of that?

I mean, there's always the possibility of honest testing. I realize you've got an agenda, but if you're going to fudge things, you want to be a little more subtle about them.

Case in point:

GHoShUW.jpg

Your parse of "Xynode Easy Sorc" doesn't have UI on the buff list. So, either you let it fall off because of poor rotation management, or you deliberately never enabled the buff.

NTsOF.jpg
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Case in point:

GHoShUW.jpg

NTsOF.jpg

GF7MYkT.jpg
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Case in point:

GHoShUW.jpg

NTsOF.jpg

GF7MYkT.jpg

The facepalm is because you fail to realize that there are other buffs that are not seen in the Combat Metrics report since it's a limited window.

In case that wasn't clear.

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Youtube - Twitch
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you read what he wrote about the parse and even quoted for you again? Kinda says something. Also, wouldn't Minor Vulnerability be on the De(Buffs) Out list, not De(Buffs) in? I might be wrong there, but I don't claim to be a top expert in those things :).

1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you read what he wrote about the parse and even quoted for you again? Kinda says something. Also, wouldn't Minor Vulnerability be on the De(Buffs) Out list, not De(Buffs) in? I might be wrong there, but I don't claim to be a top expert in those things :).

You would be correct. But UI would be on De(Buffs) In. However, because the trials dummy provides so many buffs, and because I have several buffs favorited (this is to help me figure out buff uptimes during progression), many buffs are pushed down. Basically, you'd have to scroll to find a lot of buffs, including those with 100 percent uptime.

Youtube - Twitch
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I confuse UI and IA all the time, sorry for that.

1000+ CP

Give me my wings back!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor Vulnerability comes from the lightning damage itself and also IA (you can see the lightning proc as Concussion.) So, when people are trying to draw attention to minor vulnerability, that's deliberately misleading and designed to distract you.

Undaunted Inifultrator applies a significant bonus to light and heavy attack damage. It's procced by activating any mag ability on the front bar and lasts 10 seconds. Normally when parsing an Easy Sorc it will be one of the first buffs triggered, preempting some of the Trial Dummy's so you'll actually see it fairly high on the list. At that point, it's trivial to maintain it, and it does provide a significant chunk of the build's DPS. That you don't see it says that either the buff was ignored, or it was allowed to drop off. Exactly what happened is unclear. Even if it only dropped briefly, pushing it down to 99%, that would push it off the screen. But, there's really no excuse for that to happen.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Case in point:

GHoShUW.jpg

NTsOF.jpg

GF7MYkT.jpg

The facepalm is because you fail to realize that there are other buffs that are not seen in the Combat Metrics report since it's a limited window.

In case that wasn't clear.

GUulaYb.gif
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That you don't see it says that either the buff was ignored, or it was allowed to drop off.
    That is not true. The buff can still have 100% uptime even if we don't see it.
    1000+ CP

Give me my wings back!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That you don't see it says that either the buff was ignored, or it was allowed to drop off.

That's normally correct, but in this case, unless the buff was allowed to drop off, it should have made the screen.

EDIT: In fact, if you screw up the rotation and drop it, it will be forced off the screen.
    Edited by starkerealm on November 18, 2019 7:35AM
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's normally correct, but in this case, unless the buff was allowed to drop off, it should have made the screen.

EDIT: In fact, if you screw up the rotation and drop it, it will be forced off the screen.

This is blatantly false.

The trial dummy provides the following buffs:
    • Worm's Raiment
    • Major Force
    • Minor Prophecy
    • Minor Savagery
    • Hircine's Favor
    • Minor Toughness
    • Aggressive Warhorn
    • Minor Sorcery
    • Minor Brutality
    • Minor Berserk
    • Major Courage

The following buffs are always active:
    • Mundus Stone
    • Food Buff
    • Minor Slayer
    • Major Prophecy
    • Major Sorcery
    • Major Intellect

This is a total of 17 buffs. Combat Metric's buff window will show a maximum of 13 to 15 buffs before needing to scroll. Therefore, it is entirely possible for buffs that are up for 100 percent of the time to not be displayed when you are at the top of the list, especially if you have other buffs favorited like I do.
    Edited by T3hasiangod on November 18, 2019 7:45AM

Youtube - Twitch
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is blatantly false.

• Worm's Raiment
    • Major Force
    • Minor Prophecy
    • Minor Savagery
    • Hircine's Favor
    • Minor Toughness
    • Aggressive Warhorn
    • Minor Sorcery
    • Minor Brutality
    • Minor Berserk
    • Major Courage

• Mundus Stone
    • Food Buff
    • Minor Slayer
    • Major Prophecy
    • Major Sorcery
    • Major Intellect

This is a total of 17 buffs. Combat Metric's buff window will show a maximum of 13 to 15 buffs before needing to scroll. Therefore, it is entirely possible for buffs that are up for 100 percent of the time to not be displayed when you are at the top of the list, especially if you have other buffs favorited like I do.

And, what is the priority for how those buffs are displayed?
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is blatantly false.

• Worm's Raiment
    • Major Force
    • Minor Prophecy
    • Minor Savagery
    • Hircine's Favor
    • Minor Toughness
    • Aggressive Warhorn
    • Minor Sorcery
    • Minor Brutality
    • Minor Berserk
    • Major Courage

• Mundus Stone
    • Food Buff
    • Minor Slayer
    • Major Prophecy
    • Major Sorcery
    • Major Intellect

And, what is the priority for how those buffs are displayed?

It is randomly assorted among buffs that have equal uptimes. On one parse, you may see Minor Slayer above the Shadow Mundus, but on the next parse, the Shadow Mundus is above Minor Slayer.

Youtube - Twitch
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is randomly assorted among buffs that have equal uptimes. On one parse, you may see Minor Slayer above the Shadow Mundus, but on the next parse, the Shadow Mundus is above Minor Slayer.

Except it's not completely random. You can even see that in the example you gave, and in the combat metrics you posted. See if you can work it out.
    Edited by starkerealm on November 18, 2019 9:03AM
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except it's not completely random. You can even see that in the example you gave, and in the combat metrics you posted. See if you can work it out.

Of course it is not completely random, like he said he has enabled favorite buffs/debuffs in combat metrics. Favourite buffs show up on the top of the list. Then those favourite buffs are followed by the rest of the buffs, descending order by uptime percentage. The order within the same percentage is random to my knowledge, if you have more insight into this matter why UI should be higher up the list please enlighten us. The last shown buff on Asian's Xynode Easy Sorc Parse is 100%, so it is very well possible for other buffs not shown to have an uptime of 100%. Also keep remember that probably Xynode is doing more dps than Asian, that is true, but that doesn't really matter because you need to compare parses from the same person.

So when you are insinuating either dishonesty or incompetence you should provide a better argument. Maybe get on the PTS and do some damage parses on your own to share and discuss :).
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on November 18, 2019 10:22AM
    1000+ CP

Give me my wings back!
  • happyhughes2001
    happyhughes2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s great to see Xynode doing so well. I like it when streamers/content creators do well. There is no need to be jealous.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely love this thread. Its hilarious.

All it lacks is xynode himself wading in.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when you are insinuating either dishonesty or incompetence you should provide a better argument.

No, this is his thing to work through.

He is "testing" someone else's build, and returning numbers that are well below that build's ceiling on an Iron Attro. Also, the heavy attacks are not hitting nearly as hard as they should for that build. Something is not right here.

This is also not the first time he's put his thumb on the scale when testing Xynode's work. Again, the infamous Alkosh as a DPS set "test" comes to mind. So, in that case, it's worth understanding that, in addition to the resist debuff that made Woeler slap Alkosh on the tank, there's also a significant DoT on the set. (This works out to be slightly under 20k, depending on CP and gear quality. Base gold 160 is about 12k over 10 seconds.) That DoT is applied when you trigger a synergy, but, very importantly, there is no cooldown, and the DoT is self-stacking. (That, self stacking thing is very important. This isn't just 1200-1800/1900 DPS from the set, you get that for each synergy you hoover up, and you can grab a lot in a hectic fight. Especially now that stuff like Orbs is non-competitive.)

So, Teh "tested" it by using the trial dummy, which provides you with shards, but no other synergies. Which means you have a set that can, potentially (and, yes, I do mean in a live situation here, not just, "on paper"), deal a lot of damage (even if it doesn't crit), but you can't see that on a trial dummy because you need to proc it off of synergies, and there's only two synergies in the game that can be taken by the player generating them. (This creates a theoretically ceiling of around 6k DPS from the set, though in a practical sense, you're talking more like 4k, because one of those sources is a set that won't be doing your DPS any favors.)

EDIT: In a live situation, if you can hoover up three or four synergies in ten seconds, that could easily be 6-8k damage per second from a set, on top of the resists debuffs, if you're not already getting those from the tank. It's a medium armor set, it's not "supposed to be" used for tanking.

Hell, in this thread, he's argued that the bonus damage from UI cannot crit, which is flatly untrue because it's not proc set damage, it's a buff that applies to the light and heavy attacks, which can still crit, modifying said bonus.

So, he has a history of being economical with the truth when he decides he's going to go after Xynode.

The combat metrics buff configuration is, basically trivial right now, it's a sideshow that doesn't matter, because looking at the numbers provided, I can already say, "something is not right here."
    Edited by starkerealm on November 18, 2019 11:01AM
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    @xynode I have a question. I have all the the pieces for this build except the VMA staff. I have the fire just not the lightning. Do you think it would be better to:

A, grind VMA for the lightning using the fire in this build instead until i get it.
    B, use the beginner build to grind with it.
    C, use the one bar sorc build thats now slightly degraded to grind it like i used to?

I'm just curious your opinion (Or anyone else) about the efficiency in VMA with the fire.
    Edited by bongtokin420insd16 on November 19, 2019 4:11PM
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did a test parse on this build exactly as on Xynode's website. Tbh I'm a scrub DPS and got 62k on the trial dummy. I tried Necropotence/Sorrow next and added barbed trap and got the same. That doesn't mean they perform the same, just that's what I got. So in my opinion, it seems less work to farm for the overland sets.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every day this thread is at the top. Incredible.
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @xynode I have a question. I have all the the pieces for this build except the VMA staff. I have the fire just not the lightning. Do you think it would be better to:

A, grind VMA for the lightning using the fire in this build instead until i get it.
    B, use the beginner build to grind with it.
    C, use the one bar sorc build thats now slightly degraded to grind it like i used to?

I'm just curious your opinion (Or anyone else) about the efficiency in VMA with the fire.

Xy points out in the video that IF you have off-balance taken care of from other sources you can use the flame staff back bar, which will make your AOE damage drop but will boost your ST damage.

Honestly, though, while I was farming the vMA shocks stick, I just used a Willpower staff back bar, infused. That’s also something he mentions in the vid, BTW.
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, Xy himself doesn’t tell you to use his builds. He points out that you should use what’s best for you.

This ain’t WoW. There is no one “best” of anything. It all depends on your build and playstyle.
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, the “older” setup of Netch and Spider Cultist is still wickedly good, FWIW.
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelle412 wrote: »
    I did a test parse on this build exactly as on Xynode's website. Tbh I'm a scrub DPS and got 62k on the trial dummy. I tried Necropotence/Sorrow next and added barbed trap and got the same. That doesn't mean they perform the same, just that's what I got. So in my opinion, it seems less work to farm for the overland sets.

If that works for you, awesome. Do that!

What you’ll lose, though, is the additive bonuses to LAs and HAs that UI + IA give, which are a huge part of the build.

That said, as Xy points out, nothing will “break” the game if you try something else. Go for it!
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    mikemacon wrote: »
    If that works for you, awesome. Do that!

What you’ll lose, though, is the additive bonuses to LAs and HAs that UI + IA give, which are a huge part of the build.

That said, as Xy points out, nothing will “break” the game if you try something else. Go for it!

I meant by my post I got the same DPS with either combo. One has higher LA/HA damage, the other higher crit. My only conclusion is that it was easier to get the higher crit gear sets than farming dungeons for UI.

EDIT: I should clarify, I used identical rotations from the source build, just added barbed trap on the crit sets.

Edited by pelle412 on November 19, 2019 7:15PM
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    TY i had a hard time hearing the audio on the video (Not his audio my player).
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mikemacon wrote: »
    This ain’t WoW. There is no one “best” of anything. It all depends on your build and playstyle.

Of course there is a best of something. Its silly to think there isn't. Any game with a DPS number will have those that do more and less.

That doesn't mean however playing something that does less damage is inherently a terrible thing that makes you a terrible person. Guilds can set their own rules and it sorts itself out that way.

For example I use a Sorc Tank as a main. Is it BIS slot tank? No. I know that. Will I swap? Naw. Nor would I feel bad if some guild told me they wanted DK or NB tank instead.
    Edited by karekiz on November 19, 2019 11:30PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have noticed some interesting changes in the build that may or may not affect the outcome. I believe Xynode did change things up a little with the latest update, but I haven’t looked hard into it.

Infallible Aether Supposedly only does extra damage now with the last tick. It used to do and extra 900 or so Damage every tick of the lightning stave heavy attack. So that could change things a bit. I dont know?

Also, wardens now apply minor vulnerability with every cast of the fetcher infection. If that changes anything or not, who knows?

I do play a warden frequently and see that bit about minor vulnerability applied in my tool tips, but also interesting is enemies don’t get that pink glow on them for minor vulnerability like they do with infallible aether. Perhaps this will be added in sometime down the line.

With those changes to Infal only doing extra damage on the last tick, I do question if undaunted Infaltrator received the same treatment? If that is the case, I could see that severely hurting the build and then all this conversation is for nothing.

This discussion has been closed.