The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cannot use Gamepad

Reyleigh
Reyleigh
✭✭✭
Hello,

I'm trying to use an xbox1 controller, but it's not recognized by the game
The controller works fine with other game so it works

How do i make it work ?

Thanks
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Did you enable the Gamepad Beta in the gameplay options? That will change the entire UI when it works.
  • Reyleigh
    Reyleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks !
    Is it possible to use the controller without changing the UI ?
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this isn't too "Did you try turning it off and back on again?", but did you go into the Gameplay menu and turn Gamepad Mode on? It was not enabled by default for me. I have a Logitech F710; works fine, but you need to go in and enable it.

Also, you still need a KB+M to log in and for character selection/creation. And typing. And to use/configure some add-ons.

I would almost consider just going KB+M, except the range on mine is sub-optimal (I play on a couch in front of a projector), so I'd have to hunch forward and sadness results (learned that playing Dragon Age and Fallout 1). Also sometimes they just derp for a moment and decide to save up their output and blast half of it at the PC 10 seconds later. Maybe I just need a better wireless KB+M...
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reyleigh wrote: »
    Thanks !

you might be able to use a 3rd party keymapper and just remap keyboard keys to the joystick but ive never tried it for this game since it has support already.

the other thing you can do is bind the key for gamepad and keyboard so you can easily toggle between the those modes.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • zarocco26
    zarocco26
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for, but the betterui add on for game pads is pretty customizable and allows for things like master merchant integration. It also allows you to change the inventory ui to a more game pad friendly set up.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks !

If you are not an extreme addon user you should give it a try. The Gampad UI is for me the better version.
    You can change the map filters on the keyboard UI and thn switch back to gamepad. Then the maps shows customs pins for example. There is also a map addon for gamepad. It allows to scale icons, which is cool on huge screens.
  • Reyleigh
    Reyleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers guys
    Thing is i just wonder if its possible to keep the same UI i'm using for KB+M with the gamepad, as i don't really like to constantly switch between two UIs
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can run the program through Steam (as a non-Steam program if necessary) and take advantage of Steam’s controller mapping. That also gives you more freedom over reassigning controls.

I found that this slowed down my potato a little too much, but a better CPU should be able to handle it.
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers guys
    Thing is i just wonder if its possible to keep the same UI i'm using for KB+M with the gamepad, as i don't really like to constantly switch between two UIs
    There are add-ons like this one that might do what you want:

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1433-AdvancedDisableControllerUI.html

I have considered them myself, and also tried BetterUI, but found I didn't quite want to do that at the moment. Though again, for me it is the Couch Problem: I want to use the KB+M as little as possible, because they have a sucky range and require me to scoot+lean forward.

--Ray
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    You could also just leave GamePad support disabled and use something like joy2key to map KB controls to a controller. That's what I did for Morrowind, VTM: Bloodlines, and others. But you lose special built-in multi-button functionality that way, e.g. I don't think you can make "jump" and "use" both "A button". Ran into that issue with PSO, and eventually settled on sort-of-halfway-enabled controller support; haven't really tried to make this work in ESO. Yet.
    Edited by bakthi on November 14, 2019 3:08PM
    Army of me: