The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is Dragonguard shield flat?

CaffeinatedMayhem
CaffeinatedMayhem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I love the Dragonguard style. (ok, I've loved all of the Elsweyr styles) But as a tank main, I'm confused as to why the Dragonguard shield is flat? I looks terrible IMO, to the point I am using the Anequina shield instead.

The motif on the Dragonguard shield is so cool! But wearing a coin on my back is...very odd. Please don't make shield ugly, tanks look at them the entire time we play.

Anequina shield side-view:
tvnKr0e.jpg

Dragonguard side view
j2ZmKPM.jpg

It's a small thing, but Fashion Scrolls is endgame.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it feels a bit awkward, doesn't it? Some styles have small shields. Shacklebreaker is one of them.

I guess those smaller ones were inspired by the shields used by infantry in ancient times: aspis/hoplon (greek); parma/parmula (roman) - practical, easy to carry and to handle.

Regarding shields, my favorite is the one from the Battalion Defender set: it's a large shield with a high relief lion on the center. <3
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weren't most IRL round shields flat because it was easier to make them that way? And a lot of the others were only curved in one dimension, with the the planks running the other way.

If a woodworker could do curves, he was a cooper, doing much more important work!
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Weren't most IRL round shields flat because it was easier to make them that way? And a lot of the others were only curved in one dimension, with the the planks running the other way.

If a woodworker could do curves, he was a cooper, doing much more important work!

Well yes, but this isn't a historical reenactment, but a fantasy game.

Most shields in ESO have curvature or raised details, Dragonguard is exceptionally flat, not to mention the gold tone is off (from the heavy armor at least).
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on November 13, 2019 4:35PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

Well yes, but this isn't a historical reenactment, but a fantasy game.

Most shields in ESO have curvature or raised details, Dragonguard is exceptionally flat, not to mention the gold tone is off (from the heavy armor at least).

Are you sure that’s how you want to support your argument??

If it’s a fantasy game then anything goes ... including lightning coming out of a wooden staff, unkillable guards, flat shields, and off-gold cosmetics. ;)
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "There’s no such thing as a perfect shield; they’re full of compromises. The specific set of compromises change with time, as society is never static. It expands and contracts, evolves and changes. As battlefield doctrine changes due to technological changes and economic realities, shields and armor will adapt to the circumstances.

Curved designs have an inherent strength shape built into them, but they are harder to make well depending on the material they’re made out of. If you make them out of metal, the best material for the shape, they’re going to be heavy. That’s not that big of a disadvantage if you’re fighting in formation and have logistics support and economic strength to back you up.

Flat designs are cheap and easy to make out of wood, so they’re easily replaceable and can be made light. They may not be that durable, but if you’re in a raiding party, it may be better with a shield that’s light, just strong enough and easily replaceable in the field.

Square shields are easy to make arched, even in wood. They form up very well to protect even better in formation. However, they’re heavy; to cut weight you can literally cut corners and make it elliptic.
    "

https://www.quora.com/Shield-designs-seem-to-alternate-between-curved-and-flat-What-advantages-and-disadvantages-do-these-features-entail
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP