Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Doing Morrowind with an Altmer

Llewyned
Llewyned
Soul Shriven
I was considering doing Morrowind with my altmer character when i wondered why would he help a bunch of heretics dunmers and a false god getting his power from the hearth of lokhan.
With others extensions, i always find a reason to explain why a character gets involved in an other faction's region (the simple thirst of adventures or seek of knowledge). But it seems more tricky when it comes to altmers and their cultural and religious conflicts with velothis and dunmers.

Has anyone managed to do Morrowind with an altmer while staying rp?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, first off, your Altmer probably doesnt know about the origin of the Tribunal's powers. That info is pretty well restricted to the Ashlander legends, house Dagoth and pockets of dissident priests. We know about it because we've played TES 3 Morrowind in the far future of ESO, but it's not common knowledge now. So unless your Altmer has connections with one of the three good Daedra or the ashlanders, house Dagoth, or the dissident priests, he probably has no idea about the Tribunal drawing power from the Heart.

Now, he can still regard them as false gods and heretics from the gods of the Altmer. If that's his point of view, I'd be tempted to take the approach that he doesnt believe in Vivec, and is initially delighted at the chance to expose Vivec's weakness, but as the quest goes on he gains more reasons to help Vivec because the alternatives are worse.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another reason. Sotha Sil calls each of us a Prisoner - the one who understands he is playing a game. Thus we all, as he says, apprehend two critical insights. First, we face the reality of our imprisonment. We see the determinative walls - the chains of causality that bind us to our course. And secondly, we "must gaze through the bars and perceive that which exists beyond causality. Beyond time.", only then can we escape.

Thus we know that Vivec will become the only one character to know what threat Dagoth Ur poses to entire Tamriel and the only one to instruct us on where to find the Tools, how exactly to use them and how to stop the Sharmat. He is vital. So knowing of his future role in about a thousand years we all must do our best to keep Vivec alive and powerful. This is the only true reason to help him in spite of your personal attitude towards him and in spite of whoever you are, be you an Altmer, a Breton or an Orc. Even Seryn being an Ashlander helps him.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on September 17, 2019 12:22PM
  • jaekobcaed
    jaekobcaed
    ✭✭✭
    My main character is an Altmer and a patriot of the Dominion but unlike his brethren, he does not share the same prejudices as most of the Altmer. He still isn't too fond of Argonians but has developed a respect for them thanks to the events of Murkmire. Otherwise, he holds respect for all races and disagrees with the Altmer ideal that they need to unmake Nirn to return to divinity. He discovers ancient texts (which are actually future texts that exist in the Second Era thanks to a Dragon Break) that refer to a "Secret Syllable of Royalty" which has power to remake reality. To him, he finds that far more interesting than to be a god.

So basically, he believes in aiding anyone he desires to aid. He respects the Tribunal for their power, but does not call himself an ally. Essentially, his journey into Vvardenfell was more for the sake of his own pursuit of magic than to become some hero; he just happens to get caught up in the events that eventually lead to that happening either way.
    Isachar Daerenfel of Alinor, Psijic Sage, Master Wizard of the Mage's Guild and heir to the Daerenfel Trading Co.
    [PC/NA]
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaekobcaed wrote: »
    My main character is an Altmer and a patriot of the Dominion but unlike his brethren, he does not share the same prejudices as most of the Altmer. ... Otherwise, he holds respect for all races and disagrees with the Altmer ideal that they need to unmake Nirn to return to divinity.

How is that possible? His Dominon fights to reestablish Elven dominance over Tamriel. It's war time! You say he is a patriot of the Dominion but still respects other races and does not support his kin at some points. Those prejudices made Altmer the ones who they are. Ah, I guess it's irrelevant. Would he like to work for the Pact in Cyrodiil? Your main could become an excellent traitor and a spy. The Pact fights exactly for the freedom and indepence of every Tamrielic state with no intent to conquer other races unlike the Dominion or the Covenant - I think it suits your main.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on October 19, 2019 2:54AM
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My high elf is ashamed of his own race. Hides all of it but his own cursed tallness.

He literally wears all Telvanni armor.

Since my main is dark elf he in charge.

"Put this on, you're embarrassing me."
  • jaekobcaed
    jaekobcaed
    ✭✭✭
    My main character is an Altmer and a patriot of the Dominion but unlike his brethren, he does not share the same prejudices as most of the Altmer. ... Otherwise, he holds respect for all races and disagrees with the Altmer ideal that they need to unmake Nirn to return to divinity.

How is that possible? His Dominon fights to reestablish Elven dominance over Tamriel. It's war time! You say he is a patriot of the Dominion but still respects other races and does not support his kin at some points. Those prejudices made Altmer the ones who they are. Ah, I guess it's irrelevant. Would he like to work for the Pact in Cyrodiil? Your main could become an excellent traitor and a spy. The Pact fights exactly for the freedom and indepence of every Tamrielic state with no intent to conquer other races unlike the Dominion or the Covenant - I think it suits your main.

Does everyone who loves their nation hate those from other nations? No. The stereotype of the Altmer being haughty and hateful toward other races, it's not a rule. Not all Altmer are that way. Moreover, not all Altmer hate other races simply because they love their culture and heritage. What my character does has nothing to do with aiding the Pact. As I said, his efforts are for his own research and growth first and foremost, but he views his efforts as helping innocent people that have nothing to do with the war itself. He's not aiding the Skald King in his war efforts, he's simply helping people who need some assistance.
    Isachar Daerenfel of Alinor, Psijic Sage, Master Wizard of the Mage's Guild and heir to the Daerenfel Trading Co.
    [PC/NA]
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Does everyone who loves their nation hate those from other nations? No. The stereotype of the Altmer being haughty and hateful toward other races, it's not a rule. Not all Altmer are that way. Moreover, not all Altmer hate other races simply because they love their culture and heritage. What my character does has nothing to do with aiding the Pact. As I said, his efforts are for his own research and growth first and foremost, but he views his efforts as helping innocent people that have nothing to do with the war itself. He's not aiding the Skald King in his war efforts, he's simply helping people who need some assistance.

Ah, you mean your Altmer is the one like Neramo? That Dwemeri culture scientist - you remember him? If it is so, I understand. But I'd appreciate if your Altmer thought over my proposal ;). We would appreciate some assistance in Cyrodiil.
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt I'll ever choose Altmer as a race--too rigid in thinking and culture for me.

But because I didn't know any better, when I first started ESO, my Bosmer almost completed the Morrowind chapter before I realized she hadn't even started the main quest. For her, it was major culture shock, trying to figure out why these crazy dark elves and their crazy fascination with technology and magicka couldn't figure out their own solutions! But my Bosmer is an explorer, so she was drawn to all the weirdness, and she came to respect and even like Vivec. (She still doesn't think he's a god. But he's got some pretty neat powers.) Since she's also a nightblade, she was in awe of the Morag Tong and those quests in particular captivated her.

My advice would be to look at Morrowind as a whole and figure out how the quests might interact with whatever your character's values are. For example my Bosmer is a thief, so she's definitely motivated by money and valuables, but she also has a soft spot for the poor and downtrodden. She dislikes authority and power (ESPECIALLY DAEDRA), and really hates being ordered around. She still can't stand Vanus for calling her a Vessel when he should darn well know her name by now.

And she's vengeful. Killing is fun.

So maybe you can find certain things in Morrowind apart from the Tribunal that might motivate your character.
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    2E people would know that the Chimer were heretics who later became the accursed apostates now known as the Dunmer. I understand why no true Altmer would wish to help them.

I think the Morrowind prologue quest "The Missing Prophecy" offers a way around this...
    The prophecies of the visionary Rhea Opacarius and her colleagues, made during the prologue quest, indicate that the whole world is in danger, not just Morrowind and the Tribunal. This then becomes one of those "the enemy of my enemy is my ally" situations. You can foil the prophesied Daedric plot and save the whole world, but only by co-operating with the despicable Dunmer and saving them from destruction.

Rhea also says that her visions indicate the Vestige is bound up in these events by fate. Your character could accept this at face value and believe they have no choice but to actively intervene in the situation. It is their doom.

PC EU
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played through Morrowind with an Altmer, but I could see how that might be difficult. Almost as difficult as doing it with an Argonian :trollface:

But I can see certain characters going through all of it in good faith even if they're Altmer. For example, you could have a character who is more interested in unifying the Elven Nations, rather than being allied with Khajiit or other creatures. They might want to foster good relations between Summerset and Morrowind. This is how I plan to take my Dunmer through Summerset, actually.

Or if it's not done in good faith, they might even go through all of this as some sort of self-appointed ambassador with a hero complex, kind of "You plebs have a superior mer to thank for your salvation, look how great we are".

If it's a more academically inclined character, I can see an Altmer scholar being fascinated by the chance for a close look at how a living god might actually work, seeing as the Tribunal are the only example of this so far.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outlander.

So regardless in morrowind, you are an outlander. The Dunmer care less about your race and more about your heritage, and no player is a member of the great houses or even a native to vvardenfel.

The story just presides apon you being a convenient friendly face picked up by Azura and Vivec at Vvardenfels time of need, by complete happenstance and not because you're the reincarnation of Indoril - this time.

I think it will work, its some of the best content in eso, the other bit being Clockwork city.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Indoril_Nerevar
    Indoril_Nerevar
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes, there are exceptions

And just because you are Altmer, it does not mean you necessarily follow other Altmer beliefs and traditions or enemies, etcetera.

This is how House Indoril feels, atleast ;)
    Edited by Indoril_Nerevar on January 25, 2020 1:26PM
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    Haven't played through Morrowind with an Altmer, but I could see how that might be difficult. Almost as difficult as doing it with an Argonian :trollface:
    I did it that my argonian was asked by the leaders to go solely to help strengthen the pact and pray the actions stop it from collapsing.
    After all if vivec was toppled the dark elves might leave the pact to sort out their own mess and you can bet they would start enslaving Argonians again.