The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I can't kill the Grand Sermonizer

Muma
Muma
✭✭
I can kill literally every one of her lackeys, but she is proving to be a real *** of a challenge.

Anyone have tips for a Khajiit nightblade?

Or is ganging up on her the only option?
~I MONSTERS~

@Muma-Kitty
Ma'Ranji- Khajiit Nightblade

I'm quiet, don't expect a lot of conversation.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some tips on the mechanics

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/4m7d5g/killing_the_grand_sermonizer_spoilers/

Here is a video that shows the fight, this guy pretty much just wails on things. Skip to 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URDKEW2sMdU
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minor Spoilers, you have been warned :)

Basically the mistake folks may be making is they are trying to burn the boss down as fast as possible. It wont work with this one because there is a limit to how much damage you can do before the fight mechanic interrupts you and activates the time lock, my characters are not top end dps but have a fair bit of resilience and listed below is how I got through it with my magic sorc but the method below should work regardless of build. Bear in mind I'm of average ability on a good day lol. It is pretty stiff for a solo quest boss but very satisfying

1> NEVER run out of stamina, always leave enough to break free of the pinning effect of the time lock, if you are below half stam then switch to heavy attacks, never spend down to zero
    2> Keep moving, this one will nail fragile builds to the ground if you stand still
    3> When the time lock is active you will sometimes, but not always, be left only fighting the boss and not their minions, when this happens target the boss, the minions will just keep coming, only killing the boss will finish it
    4> Most important, be patient, this fight will take time, there is no way round that, take your time and keep whittling away, they will fall eventually

I have the reflexes of a rubber duck, if I can do it I'm sure you can :)
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor Spoilers, you have been warned :)

Basically the mistake folks may be making is they are trying to burn the boss down as fast as possible. It wont work with this one because there is a limit to how much damage you can do before the fight mechanic interrupts you and activates the time lock, my characters are not top end dps but have a fair bit of resilience and listed below is how I got through it with my magic sorc but the method below should work regardless of build. Bear in mind I'm of average ability on a good day lol. It is pretty stiff for a solo quest boss but very satisfying

1> NEVER run out of stamina, always leave enough to break free of the pinning effect of the time lock, if you are below half stam then switch to heavy attacks, never spend down to zero
    2> Keep moving, this one will nail fragile builds to the ground if you stand still
    3> When the time lock is active you will sometimes, but not always, be left only fighting the boss and not their minions, when this happens target the boss, the minions will just keep coming, only killing the boss will finish it
    4> Most important, be patient, this fight will take time, there is no way round that, take your time and keep whittling away, they will fall eventually

I have the reflexes of a rubber duck, if I can do it I'm sure you can :)

Talking about the wrong boss, friend.
    I almost made a very similar post.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muma wrote: »
    I can kill literally every one of her lackeys, but she is proving to be a real *** of a challenge.

I don't remember the Grand Sermonizer being all that difficult.

What part of the encounter, specifically, are you having trouble with?
    It's pretty much a stab-stab-stab-interrupt/roll-stab-stab-stab fight once all the lackeys are gone.
    Edited by ShedsHisTail on June 16, 2016 8:31PM
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
  • Muma
    Muma
    ✭✭

It's pretty much a stab-stab-stab-interrupt/roll-stab-stab-stab fight once all the lackeys are gone.

The fact that she takes almost no damage from my hits while DPSing the *** out of me.
    ~I MONSTERS~

@Muma-Kitty
    Ma'Ranji- Khajiit Nightblade

I'm quiet, don't expect a lot of conversation.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that she takes almost no damage from my hits while DPSing the *** out of me.

Hmm... Can't help you with that.
    Not to sound crass, but it sounds like a gearing issue.
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I 2 shotted her I didn't think she was hard.
  • BetrayedKing
    BetrayedKing
    Soul Shriven
    My lvl 17 nb killed her Probs. My poor lvl 11 dk was mainly having health issues. But after I got some pots no worries. If u can target the battlemage lackey first, he dies quick enough.

Try to balance killin off her last lackey but focus on her as well. Cuz she brings the hurt. Feels great to off her though. Just keep dodging her then beat her down. This probs wasn't helpful but i wanted to comment :neutral:
    Edited by BetrayedKing on June 22, 2016 8:08PM
    BlazedKnight - Argonian - Ebonheart Pact
    Smokes-Green-Leaf - Kahjiiit - Aldmeri Dominion
    GT: BlazedNight/add me in game, I have zero ppl to play with
  • Kai06
    Kai06
    Soul Shriven
    any way im stuck trying to beat solo bosses too

(unessary rant)

i feel like just quiting
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember staying behind the pillars and columns during her attacks, and whittling her down or taking out the adds when she was not attacking.

Since she stays in place, the Trap spell and ground based DOTs help
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a stamblade, this is one of my least favorite bosses. It doesn't help that I first went up against her during one of the worst NB nerf campaigns of all time after the One Tamriel debut. Mind your resources in this fight, because if they drop too low, you're dead before you know it.

At one time, there was a significant problem with combat scaling between level 30 and level 40. That seems to be largely fixed these days, but you may want to avoid this fight if you're in that range. I've had an easier time on alts if I go in right after level 15 when I get the bow and bar-swapping. Or just wait and do it at a much higher level.

I tend to carefully kite the trash minions out into the chamber before the one she's in with a bow shot and finish them off bit by bit, then I can go in and deal with her and her two main minions alone.

Her AoEs are small, plentiful, and zig-zag around which makes avoiding the pools of "stupid" harder, especially if your connection lags.

This really is a boss fight that could stand to have its mechanics cleaned up a bit. It's not that it's bad, but there are too many ways for it to become just a mess of randomness. Some of the reports that she can be facerolled may well be because of this -- if the mechanics turn to mush it can either go very well or very badly for the player. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.

This is, honestly, one of the older DLC bosses -- a lot of them since then are much better and more fun even if they're overall harder. I'd love it if some of these old ones were tweaked -- not to make them eaiser, but just cleaner in terms of mechanics so that when you wipe it's less of "Huh, WTF?" and more "Hmmm... that didn't work. Maybe if I try..."