Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New/Expanded Environments for Content Design

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello, this thread is about new environments for content design. In other words, not some one-off zone or instance that has some new environment to explore that players rapidly get bored with, but something that once coded can be a part of the developers toolbox for certain areas of the overland part of new zones as well as areas such as delves, group dungeons, and so on.

Deep Darkness

Building on a comment from another thread, we could have a lot of fun with deep darkness. That is, pitch black, where torches and spells that give off light would be needed in order to see.

For those who don't know, @Gidorick wrote about what he called immersive darkness, which does overlap with what I am talking about here, so, it's worth a look at his idea. He focuses primarily on weather/night time and light levels in the open world environment, whereas here in this post I will focus solely on the other half of content locations, indoor and underground areas and some extra-planar locales.

The type of darkness I am writing about isn't just having the weather or new moons decrease the brightness setting for the sake of immersion, but is instead intended as a mechanic for creating new types of challenging content for players. This kind of darkness was seen in a very limited fashion in places such as the Lightless Oubliette and part of the Endless Stair (no spoilers here) in Coldharbour, and in a bit more developed form near the end of the quest at the Rahni'Za School in Craglorn, and in part of the al-Danobia Tomb in Taneth (part of a quest related to the Thieve's Guild).

For the Rahni'Za School and the al-Danobia Tomb examples, a way of seeing in the deep darkness was provided by NPC mechanics (again, no spoilers offered). What I am talking is taking that kind of darkness and putting in a part or (nearly) all of a delve, a group dungeon, a trial, an arena, etc. Maybe even a group boss (i.e. "world boss") located underground. And rather than an NPC mechanic for seeing through the gloom, it would be player-character based illumination. A relevant and well written excerpt for how that could work is borrowed from Gidorick's thread and placed in this spoiler:
Gidorick wrote: »
Night Eye Ability
Khajiit, Vampires, and Werewolves should all have an innate Night Eye ability that enables them to see more clearly in the dark. This is not an activated ability and activates when the illumination of an area is under a certain threshold.
  • Khajiit: +50% Illumination / +25% Radius
  • Vampire: +40% Illumination / +20% Radius
  • Werewolf: +30% Illumination / +15% Radius
Night eye should cast a dull gray light into the dark making everything illuminated appear in a sort of gray-scale.

Khajiit’s Racial Passive Stealthy could be changed to:
  • Night Stalker
    • 50% visibility at night (as outlined above)
    • Increases Damage done while in stealth by 3%

Illuminators
The darkness could also be kept at bay by using any of the following:
  • Torches: Consumable item varies in illumination, radius, and duration. Casts natural light to illuminate the night.
  • Magelight: Cast-able Mages Guild Skill, casts a piercing white light into the darkness. The greater the skill the greater the effect.
  • Almalexia’s Enchanted Lantern: A trophy that creates a blue light that washes into the black abyss.
  • NightEye Potion: Consumable, higher quality increases illumination, radius, and duration.
  • Ring of the Night-Eye: Special rings which can grant Night Eye when worn. +20% Illumination / +10% Radius.
  • Weapon Enchantments: Elemental weapon enchantments should also be able to fight back the darkness, but none as effectively as the lowest quality torch
    • Frost: Casts a soft blue glow around the character
    • Fire: Casts a warm yellow light across the ground
    • Shock: Casts a stark white light into the darkness

The most natural light available should be through the torches. A player using multiple illumination methods wouldn’t have a combined illumination effect but would instead see the effect which takes precedence.

Night Eye Ability
Khajiit, Vampires, and Werewolves should all have an innate Night Eye ability that enables them to see more clearly in the dark. This is not an activated ability and activates when the illumination of an area is under a certain threshold.
Night eye should cast a dull gray light into the dark making everything illuminated appear in a sort of gray-scale.

• Night Stalker

Illuminators
  • Torches: Consumable item varies in illumination, radius, and duration. Casts natural light to illuminate the night.
  • Magelight: Cast-able Mages Guild Skill, casts a piercing white light into the darkness. The greater the skill the greater the effect.
  • Almalexia’s Enchanted Lantern: A trophy that creates a blue light that washes into the black abyss.
  • NightEye Potion: Consumable, higher quality increases illumination, radius, and duration.
  • Ring of the Night-Eye: Special rings which can grant Night Eye when worn. +20% Illumination / +10% Radius.
  • Weapon Enchantments: Elemental weapon enchantments should also be able to fight back the darkness, but none as effectively as the lowest quality torch

The most natural light available should be through the torches. A player using multiple illumination methods wouldn’t have a combined illumination effect but would instead see the effect which takes precedence.

Now, with this deep darkness and player-based forms of seeing in the dark, think about what the devs could throw at you and your friends:

-areas full of under-dwellers like Falmer where you/your party needs a torch or spell equivalent or you would only be seeing what's attacking you when offensive or defensive spells flash.
-areas where torches/illumination spells fail
-areas with twisting corridors, pathways that wind back on themselves and loop into other passageways that veer off
-area maps that only show what is currently illuminated
-fun with costumes like the new glowy face costumes from the Thieve's Guild update
-use your imagination for more examples

There are soooooo many fun (and creepy/spooky) types of exploration and adventure awaiting us if these kinds of elements and mechanics were added/expanded.

Shifting Terrain

This one needs less description or explanation, but it sound no less cool or fun! Shifting terrain can come in many forms. In some cases, it would be swapping out terrain types, like solid rock becoming mud that snares players. In other cases, it means the terrain itself actually moves. And we have seen the latter in a few places, such as at the end of the Main Quest with the Prophet and his companions or in the Critical Mass quest in Craglorn. There is no way forward, something causes rocks and boulders to move, and a bridge is formed for players to travel across. But what if such movement happened on the ground or floor you were standing on in combat? If you didn't move quickly you would fall to your death. These are only a limited number of examples, but again, consider the potential if these mechanics were added and/or expanded in clever ways to allow for more variety in future content.

Underwater Environments

I've already written a post about underwater content that covers a lot of common objections and concerns, including combat, so instead of referring right away why you hated some other MMO's underwater content, check it out first :) As per the description at the top of this post, the idea isn't to have some one-off "water zone" that no one ever visits. Instead the idea is that any or every zone could have some part that uses this for some portion of its content. It could be a large part, a modest part, or a small part depending on the design preferences for that particular zone.

For example, there could be new flooded passages discovered beneath the Imperial City that lead to additional non-water areas. A group dungeon could similarly have a watery passage players need to traverse to progress further in, filled with things to slow them down. A major group boss (i.e. "world boss") in a new zone could be partly or totally underwater. Existing base game zones could have new areas to explore for additional treasure chests, new types of mats, and so on. So, think of it big picture as a tool for lots of different options rather than just a one-time snoozefest. And, yes, I am aware of the ESO Live segment for the Arm Chair Developer that said that they had no plans at that time to develop underwater content, but that doesn't meant it is off the table for future development.

Extra-Planar/Weird Physics

More open-ended and less well-defined than the others, this type of environment basically says, "Devs, go wild!" The rules of physics in other planes exist at the whim of the being(s) who control it, so altering them so that character appear to be running and fighting on the ceiling or up and down a wall, having players float about, expanding on "drunk" visuals/audio/movement speed to create a sense of being in a very alien place or a living nightmare, etc. If they can code it, and it's odd, it would fit this category.

Other Types

Regardless of whether you like or want the other types of terrain described above, are there other types you would like to see? Let us know.
Edited by tinythinker on March 31, 2016 8:45PM
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these ideas @tinythinker ! It would add some "platforming" to ESO. My concern is that these features would have to be in instanced dungeons and delves, wouldn't they? So when a player visits the dungeon or delve the area "resets" each time. Or it would have to be on a timer to where the platform or environment resets at a regular interval so other players can traverse the area.

Either way the idea of adding variation to environments and gameplay is a solid one. One of the ideas I had when posting my Oblivion Oubliette concept (http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/228252/random-oblivion-oubliette-concept/p1) was to have things like... corkscrew hallways or player physics separated from enemy physics so like... player is on the "floor" but the enemy is on the "wall" but I thought those concepts would distract from the core concept of the random Oubliette... so thanks for making this thread to suggest these kinds of additions! :smiley:

What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deep darkness in cyrodiil!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these ideas @tinythinker ! It would add some "platforming" to ESO. My concern is that these features would have to be in instanced dungeons and delves, wouldn't they? So when a player visits the dungeon or delve the area "resets" each time. Or it would have to be on a timer to where the platform or environment resets at a regular interval so other players can traverse the area.

Either way the idea of adding variation to environments and gameplay is a solid one. One of the ideas I had when posting my Oblivion Oubliette concept (http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/228252/random-oblivion-oubliette-concept/p1) was to have things like... corkscrew hallways or player physics separated from enemy physics so like... player is on the "floor" but the enemy is on the "wall" but I thought those concepts would distract from the core concept of the random Oubliette... so thanks for making this thread to suggest these kinds of additions! :smiley:
    Glad you like it. Didn't realize you had a similar concept out there for some additional elements I mentioned or I would have mentioned them. And yes, I'm all for additions. And for getting a /lurk. Hello? ZOS? ;)

Makkir wrote: »
    Yeah if they open up one of those "for show" dwemer ruins on the main AvA map this would be kick-#ss for Cyro. Could also be part of some rediscovered tunnels in the IC sewers... :mrgreen:
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been playing Black Desert a bit (splitting time between ESO and BDO) and I'll say the darkness is awesome! This is a feature I simply cannot fathom has been ignored this long in mmo's and video games in general.

If you want to experience what it would be like to play in an immersive dark environ then give the afore mentioned game a try.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you like it. Didn't realize you had a similar concept out there for some additional elements I mentioned or I would have mentioned them. And yes, I'm all for additions. And for getting a /lurk. Hello? ZOS? ;)

Makkir wrote: »
    Yeah if they open up one of those "for show" dwemer ruins on the main AvA map this would be kick-#ss for Cyro. Could also be part of some rediscovered tunnels in the IC sewers... :mrgreen:

Oh no, I didn't include the environmental change concepts in my Oblivion Oubliette thread. I fond that many times a "side suggestion" of a thread ends up getting the focus of the thread and I wanted to avoid that pitfall in that concept. It was just one of those things I had considered. Glad to see the core concept brought to life here.

To be Oblivion has always been a little to "grounded" for my taste. There are some GREAT artistic renditions of what I think Oblivion could be in ESO like...
    BsqL35b.jpg?1

I would love to see Oblivion realms that are more like Wonderland where what you are seeing isn't really what you're seeing. But that might be too much for a game like this. :lol:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello, this thread is about new environments for content design. In other words, not some one-off zone or instance that has some new environment to explore that players rapidly get bored with, but something that once coded can be a part of the developers toolbox for certain areas of the overland part of new zones as well as areas such as delves, group dungeons, and so on.

Deep Darkness

Building on a comment from another thread, we could have a lot of fun with deep darkness. That is, pitch black, where torches and spells that give off light would be needed in order to see.

For those who don't know, @Gidorick wrote about what he called immersive darkness, which does overlap with what I am talking about here, so, it's worth a look at his idea. He focuses primarily on weather/night time and light levels in the open world environment, whereas here in this post I will focus solely on the other half of content locations, indoor and underground areas and some extra-planar locales.

The type of darkness I am writing about isn't just having the weather or new moons decrease the brightness setting for the sake of immersion, but is instead intended as a mechanic for creating new types of challenging content for players. This kind of darkness was seen in a very limited fashion in places such as the Lightless Oubliette and part of the Endless Stair (no spoilers here) in Coldharbour, and in a bit more developed form near the end of the quest at the Rahni'Za School in Craglorn, and in part of the al-Danobia Tomb in Taneth (part of a quest related to the Thieve's Guild).

For the Rahni'Za School and the al-Danobia Tomb examples, a way of seeing in the deep darkness was provided by NPC mechanics (again, no spoilers offered). What I am talking is taking that kind of darkness and putting in a part or (nearly) all of a delve, a group dungeon, a trial, an arena, etc. Maybe even a group boss (i.e. "world boss") located underground. And rather than an NPC mechanic for seeing through the gloom, it would be player-character based illumination. A relevant and well written excerpt for how that could work is borrowed from Gidorick's thread and placed in this spoiler:
    Night Eye Ability

• Night Stalker

Illuminators

Night Eye Ability

• Night Stalker

Illuminators

Now, with this deep darkness and player-based forms of seeing in the dark, think about what the devs could throw at you and your friends:

-areas full of under-dwellers like Falmer where you/your party needs a torch or spell equivalent or you would only be seeing what's attacking you when offensive or defensive spells flash.
    -areas where torches/illumination spells fail
    -areas with twisting corridors, pathways that wind back on themselves and loop into other passageways that veer off
    -area maps that only show what is currently illuminated
    -fun with costumes like the new glowy face costumes from the Thieve's Guild update
    -use your imagination for more examples

There are soooooo many fun (and creepy/spooky) types of exploration and adventure awaiting us if these kinds of elements and mechanics were added/expanded.

Shifting Terrain

This one needs less description or explanation, but it sound no less cool or fun! Shifting terrain can come in many forms. In some cases, it would be swapping out terrain types, like solid rock becoming mud that snares players. In other cases, it means the terrain itself actually moves. And we have seen the latter in a few places, such as at the end of the Main Quest with the Prophet and his companions or in the Critical Mass quest in Craglorn. There is no way forward, something causes rocks and boulders to move, and a bridge is formed for players to travel across. But what if such movement happened on the ground or floor you were standing on in combat? If you didn't move quickly you would fall to your death. These are only a limited number of examples, but again, consider the potential if these mechanics were added and/or expanded in clever ways to allow for more variety in future content.

Underwater Environments

I've already written a post about underwater content that covers a lot of common objections and concerns, including combat, so instead of referring right away why you hated some other MMO's underwater content, check it out first :) As per the description at the top of this post, the idea isn't to have some one-off "water zone" that no one ever visits. Instead the idea is that any or every zone could have some part that uses this for some portion of its content. It could be a large part, a modest part, or a small part depending on the design preferences for that particular zone.

For example, there could be new flooded passages discovered beneath the Imperial City that lead to additional non-water areas. A group dungeon could similarly have a watery passage players need to traverse to progress further in, filled with things to slow them down. A major group boss (i.e. "world boss") in a new zone could be partly or totally underwater. Existing base game zones could have new areas to explore for additional treasure chests, new types of mats, and so on. So, think of it big picture as a tool for lots of different options rather than just a one-time snoozefest. And, yes, I am aware of the ESO Live segment for the Arm Chair Developer that said that they had no plans at that time to develop underwater content, but that doesn't meant it is off the table for future development.

Extra-Planar/Weird Physics

More open-ended and less well-defined than the others, this type of environment basically says, "Devs, go wild!" The rules of physics in other planes exist at the whim of the being(s) who control it, so altering them so that character appear to be running and fighting on the ceiling or up and down a wall, having players float about, expanding on "drunk" visuals/audio/movement speed to create a sense of being in a very alien place or a living nightmare, etc. If they can code it, and it's odd, it would fit this category.

Other Types

Regardless of whether you like or want the other types of terrain described above, are there other types you would like to see? Let us know.

I want them to add all this right here, this would make the game epic!
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they have already said in eso live that any physics beyond the current system isn't viable.
    So no flight, no underwater swimming. the 3d positioning system is just too expensive.

For the darkness, terrain, fire, water, ice, blizzard, landslides, quakes, poison swamps, disease graveyards and other "bleed" traps etc......hell yes.
    I did like the idea about being dragged off underwater if you were carelessly fishing.. lol
    Sea serpent attacks could be expanded.....so could air attacks....being carried off and dropped.

I am not sure whether its the diversity of the environment that I find appealing or a myriad of convoluted ways to die ;)
    Perhaps death by chamber pot asphyxiation.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on April 1, 2016 9:49PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »
    I think they have already said in eso live that any physics beyond the current system isn't viable.
    So no flight, no underwater swimming. the 3d positioning system is just too expensive.

For the darkness, terrain, fire, water, ice, blizzard, landslides, quakes, poison swamps, disease graveyards and other traps etc......hell yes.
    I did like the idea about being dragged off underwater if you were carelessly fishing.. lol
    Sea serpent attacks could be expanded.....so could air attacks....being carried off and dropped.

There is what they can do now, and what they can do in the future as ZOS builds/rebuilds parts of their game engine. I am not limiting the list to one or the other, but absolutely, the ones they can do currently I would love to see sooner rather later.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    I've been playing Black Desert a bit (splitting time between ESO and BDO) and I'll say the darkness is awesome! This is a feature I simply cannot fathom has been ignored this long in mmo's and video games in general.

If you want to experience what it would be like to play in an immersive dark environ then give the afore mentioned game a try.

Good to hear that it is being used more extensively in an MMO, hope to see more of it in ESO. :smiley:

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear that it is being used more extensively in an MMO, hope to see more of it in ESO. :smiley:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear ZOS is really interested in "developing" ESO beyond what it is now... if we want these experiences we're better off going elsewhere. :confused:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it doesn't appear ZOS is really interested in "developing" ESO beyond what it is now... if we want these experiences we're better off going elsewhere. :confused:

That's too bad. Could really take ESO to another level and prove the critics wrong. Mostly though it would just be really cool and fun.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's too bad. Could really take ESO to another level and prove the critics wrong. Mostly though it would just be really cool and fun.

I agree. And I also held fast to the hope that ZOS would "turn things around" but I think the dream is just about dead. For me the release of the assistants indicates that ESO is more concerned with being a "cash shop game" than being a TES MMO...

As such, immersive features like the ones suggested here have little hope of ever being realized.

It's a hard pill to swallow... a glass of water will cost ya 5000 crowns. :lol:

Edited by Gidorick on April 2, 2016 1:08AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds great for single player games. But could this be done for multi-player games much less an MMO? Some people play on 10 year old potatoes.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    179809d1373210666t-apple-going-down-billions-tax-fraud-thread-necromancy.png
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see them doing this in a reasonable amount of time, if they go to a subscription service so that they get enough money to be able to afford this extensive development.