Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

An Idea: Dwemer Blunderbuss for Undaunted Ultimate and other Weapon Ultimates

dodgehopper_ESO
dodgehopper_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
The weapon skill lines have always felt like they are missing an Ultimate to really flesh them out. I for one would love to see something ultimate coming out of these skill lines. Here are just a few of the ones I've thought up along with one for Undaunted. These aren't necessarily balanced ideas, just concepts I'm spitballing.

*Undaunted: Dwemer Blunderbuss - 250 Ultimate - Fires a salvaged and refurbished Dwemer Blunderbuss at crowds to scorch and shred them.
*Destruction Staff: Call of the Elements - Rain down elemental destruction on self for 10 seconds. I envision the character raising their staff and slamming it into the ground as Fire/ice/lightning crashes down on the location.
*Restoration: Soul of Salvation - Drains health from all enemies in 20' and returns health to party members in a damage/heal over time.
*Sword and Shield: Aegis of the Armiger - Reflect Ranged attacks for 8 seconds, and improves mitigation for same period of time.
*Bow: Arrow Assault - Single target undodgeable unreflectable channel attack that fires poisonous arrows rapidly in succession. I envision something like Soul Assault but for physical+poison damage.
*Dual Wield: Death Spin - Swing a wild flurry of attacks in all directions, and grant minor (or major) evasion for the duration.
*Two Hander: Tsun's Vengeance - Slam down your two hander in a forward lightning cone (like the npc's use).

If you like the general concept but have a better idea for any of these ultimates please post in here.
US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
<And plenty more>
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So why are you assuming dwemer even had those sorts of weapons?
  • Hand_Bacon
    Hand_Bacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since steam power or magically moving constructs have been invented...why not?
    #AlmostGood@ESO
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of these are actually pretty cool.

The only thing I would is the Undaunted one. I feel like the undaunted Ulti needs to be targeted at Dungeon content.... that sort of fits the whole story line.... Maybe an AoE Taunt + Group Mitigation Buff, make it expensive so as to prevent it being spammed, like 300 ulti.
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The only thing I would is the Undaunted one. I feel like the undaunted Ulti needs to be targeted at Dungeon content.... that sort of fits the whole story line.... Maybe an AoE Taunt + Group Mitigation Buff, make it expensive so as to prevent it being spammed, like 300 ulti.

Oh I just picked Dwemer Blunderbuss out of the air. It seemed like something fitting of those mad dungeon crawling fools we know as the Undaunted. :) I'm sure plenty of other cool and appropriate Undaunted ideas would suit, I just happen to like the idea of the Blunderbuss, that or a Steam Powered Harpoon, or Summoning a Dwemer construct. A Dwemer Construct might be a good pick for the aoe taunt idea you have, and team mates could synergize it to power it up much like the Storm Atronach.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does gunpowder exist in the TES world? I know the dwemer had explosives and I THINK we used them in Morrowind but I don't think it existed in enough quantity to justify so many people having the ability to use.

And before you say "hey, Magic!" I will argue that in a world with magic the necessity (which we all know is the mother of invention) for gunpowder isn't there.

Aside from that fact the lore-nerd in me screams "There's no guns in the Elder Scrolls!" (Extra points for you if heard that in Tom Hanks voice. :wink: )

Now for the MEAT of your idea... I would LOVE weapon ultimates. My character HATES magic... long story I wont go through it... and every single ultimate is "magical"... He only ever uses his ultimate as an ABSOLUTE last resort.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the undaunted ultimate would work better if it was a synergy that all could use at once. Like a super radiate that no one person but the other 3 can smash out all at once (at the same time) radiate is pretty powerful allowing 3 at once to use it would be pretty cool.
    Good work though OP. We do need things like this.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • BullNetch
    BullNetch
    ✭✭✭

It should be a Final Fantasy type of summon.

You summon the proto-Numidium and it has an ultra flashy synergy.

You reached the highest level of undaunted, joined the inner circle. You learned of the ultimate weapon discovered in a distant and now totally lost dwemer ruin. It's the Proto-Numidium... a powerful and ancient dwemer robot.
    Edited by BullNetch on February 18, 2016 9:07AM
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Does gunpowder exist in the TES world? I know the dwemer had explosives and I THINK we used them in Morrowind but I don't think it existed in enough quantity to justify so many people having the ability to use.

And before you say "hey, Magic!" I will argue that in a world with magic the necessity (which we all know is the mother of invention) for gunpowder isn't there.

Aside from that fact the lore-nerd in me screams "There's no guns in the Elder Scrolls!" (Extra points for you if heard that in Tom Hanks voice. :wink: )

Now for the MEAT of your idea... I would LOVE weapon ultimates. My character HATES magic... long story I wont go through it... and every single ultimate is "magical"... He only ever uses his ultimate as an ABSOLUTE last resort.

Dwemer satchel charge in Tribunal expansion IIRC and I think 1 of the books mentioned cannon in a naval battle in Iliac Bay but I wouldn't want to see Dwemer firearms, stick to what Dwemer constructs use if we want some sort of special Dwemer weapon. Now siege cannon in Cyrodil, maybe 15th century types similar to the Great Turkish Bombard I can see a place for.
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • BullNetch
    BullNetch
    ✭✭✭
    another source for ultimates could be an adaptation of "daedric quests" from the single player games.

Instead of the quests rewarding you with items, you get ultimates instead.

Azura's star, for example, would fill up soul gems automatically when slotted and would unleash excess collected soul energy when activated.

• EisregenX90
    EisregenX90
    ✭✭
    *Sword and Shield: Aegis of the Armiger - Reflect Ranged attacks for 8 seconds, and improves mitigation for same period of time.
    *Bow: Arrow Assault - Single target undodgeable unreflectable channel attack that fires poisonous arrows rapidly in succession. I envision something like Soul Assault but for physical+poison damage.

Seems like sword and shield ultimate is wastet against bow ultimate
    and improved mitigation is also wastet except they do it like magma armor
    Edited by EisregenX90 on February 18, 2016 9:30AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect "warhammer fantasy battles" influence there, or possible some others from animes of games with a "steamgunner" option ;) Not that this is a bad thing per se, it just doesn't fit into TES setting.
    Why?
    Check the dwemer constructs again... what are they armed with? Melee weapons... crossbows... steam discharge vents... seismic generators (the sphere "ground crack attack) electrical projectors... nope, no firearms.
    Now, a dwemer device along one of those lines... say, a dwemer "shock stick" to zap some mobs, maybe chain-lightning wisse with an attack that springs from one to the next, or something like that... sure. Blunderboss? Nope. Leave that to games workshop... ;)

Another possibility would be grenades. Alchemy can certainly make things that go boom, and undaunted adventurers would -just- be the kind of people who'd take volatile flasks of destilled hellfire or oil of impact to throw at dungeon dwellers...

Yet more possibilities could come from alchemy involving monster parts, following the undaunted helmet theme... much like perseus using Medusas head to turn the kraken to stone, undaunted could have an ultimate using some monster bits charged up with magic to release that monsters special attack in some way... or possibly even summon a big bad monster to fight for them for a bit (like the storm atronarch ulti, maybe - just with a random chance as to which kind of dungeon critter comes when called?)

Weapon ultimates... I am not so keen on those, since the weapon lines seem set up for no-ultimate - they have one passive more then the class skill lines, while the class skill lines have their ultimate instead - seems like a fair trade to me, and no sense messing with. (unlike the undaunted line, which -should- have an ultimate, just like mages/fighters guild)
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

That's the inspiration for this idea actually. I have magical characters, but I want to have some characters that fall into the more practical soldier style instead of the sorcerous style. In regards to gunpowder they don't have that no, but they have things like fire salts and frost salts, which I reckon if you slam against one another would create wild reactions no? There is also Dwemer Oil which lights up (dwemer flamethrower perhaps?). I'm not married to the idea specifically, I just like the notion of a Dwemer Weapon. It occurs to me also that many dwemer animunculi use lightning effects via soul gem. Perhaps this is yet another weapon a kind of 'Dwemer Tesla Gun' if you will. I opted for something preferably that did more physical damage though, because honestly Dk and Sorcerer already have access to enough cool elemental effects that the other classes do not. At any regard I saw the gun idea as either an enchantment effect or an alchemical effect, take your pick, the Dwemer were masters of both.
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BullNetch wrote: »
    another source for ultimates could be an adaptation of "daedric quests" from the single player games.

Instead of the quests rewarding you with items, you get ultimates instead.

Azura's star, for example, would fill up soul gems automatically when slotted and would unleash excess collected soul energy when activated.

That's a really cool idea, I love it!
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Seems like sword and shield ultimate is wastet against bow ultimate
    and improved mitigation is also wastet except they do it like magma armor

I agree. Perhaps they would make it like Magma Armor but functioning a little bit differently. I wouldn't want it to be too 'samey'.
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect "warhammer fantasy battles" influence there, or possible some others from animes of games with a "steamgunner" option ;) Not that this is a bad thing per se, it just doesn't fit into TES setting.
    Why?
    Check the dwemer constructs again... what are they armed with? Melee weapons... crossbows... steam discharge vents... seismic generators (the sphere "ground crack attack) electrical projectors... nope, no firearms.
    Now, a dwemer device along one of those lines... say, a dwemer "shock stick" to zap some mobs, maybe chain-lightning wisse with an attack that springs from one to the next, or something like that... sure. Blunderboss? Nope. Leave that to games workshop... ;)

Another possibility would be grenades. Alchemy can certainly make things that go boom, and undaunted adventurers would -just- be the kind of people who'd take volatile flasks of destilled hellfire or oil of impact to throw at dungeon dwellers...

Yet more possibilities could come from alchemy involving monster parts, following the undaunted helmet theme... much like perseus using Medusas head to turn the kraken to stone, undaunted could have an ultimate using some monster bits charged up with magic to release that monsters special attack in some way... or possibly even summon a big bad monster to fight for them for a bit (like the storm atronarch ulti, maybe - just with a random chance as to which kind of dungeon critter comes when called?)

Weapon ultimates... I am not so keen on those, since the weapon lines seem set up for no-ultimate - they have one passive more then the class skill lines, while the class skill lines have their ultimate instead - seems like a fair trade to me, and no sense messing with. (unlike the undaunted line, which -should- have an ultimate, just like mages/fighters guild)

Why not a device that lobs such bomb satchels. I love the gorgon head idea though, pretty cool.
    <And plenty more>
  • Slashie
    Slashie
    ✭✭
    A great ult for Dual wield would be a toggle, similar to overload. with no ult generated while active.
    it would be a poison weapons ability, adding X amount of poison damage onto your light/heavy/weapon attacks and draining a certain amount of ult per attack.
    one morph could grant minor defile, and one morph could add either snare, or small amount of health return.

A lot of builds could use this ult for single target, especially stam blades. this would grant added sustained dps for stamina based characters only, at the sacrifice of using burst damage and/or buffs and having a greater burst. (looking at you, soul harvest)
    it could even have a stacking DoT effect instead, doing little damage initially but stacking 10 times and adding decent dps.
    this ability wouldn't be worth much for pvp with short fights, but in pve it would be amazing for boss encounters.

while this ult is active your weapons visually would be just dripping with poison, making the effect very clear to other players.

also, this added damage would have to not apply to AoE attacks, but single target only. steel tornado with poisoned weapons would be ridiculous.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Slashie wrote: »
    A great ult for Dual wield would be a toggle, similar to overload. with no ult generated while active.
    it would be a poison weapons ability, adding X amount of poison damage onto your light/heavy/weapon attacks and draining a certain amount of ult per attack.
    one morph could grant minor defile, and one morph could add either snare, or small amount of health return.

A lot of builds could use this ult for single target, especially stam blades. this would grant added sustained dps for stamina based characters only, at the sacrifice of using burst damage and/or buffs and having a greater burst. (looking at you, soul harvest)
    it could even have a stacking DoT effect instead, doing little damage initially but stacking 10 times and adding decent dps.
    this ability wouldn't be worth much for pvp with short fights, but in pve it would be amazing for boss encounters.

while this ult is active your weapons visually would be just dripping with poison, making the effect very clear to other players.

also, this added damage would have to not apply to AoE attacks, but single target only. steel tornado with poisoned weapons would be ridiculous.

This is a pretty interesting idea as well. I like it.
    <And plenty more>
  • Flak
    Flak
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just take the Rite of Passage for RestoStaffs and give Templars a decent damage ultimate instead.

GM of the progressive raiding Guild Ghosts and Goblins | Recruitment: Open

Roster

Flák - 50 Magicka DK DD
    Toxic Flák - 50 Stamina DK DD
    Flakká - 50 Magicka NB DD
    Sonic Flák - 50 Stam-Sorc DD
    Flákjack - 50 Stamplar DD
    Flák the Ripper - 50 StamNB DD
    Flakster - 50 Magicka Sorc DD
    Overwhelming Flak - 50 Magicka Templar Healer/DD
    Full Metal Flák - 50 Stamina DK Tank
    All Pact

YouTube
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultimates on more skill lines is a great idea. I specifically like the Two-Handed, Restoration, and S&B Ulti ideas.
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For weapon ultimates, I'd rather see them add something that the weapon skill line doesn't really have to help kind of balance things out. For instance, since DW already has really good AOE, I'd rather see something like a high burst single target ultimate rather than another AOE ability, perhaps adding an AOE ultimate to 2H since it doesn't offer much in terms of AOE skills (the classic rpg spin around in circles swinging a massive weapon would probably be sufficient).

Especially for S&B, since it already has a reflect, I'd rather see some other form of defensive ultimate than just another (albeit, improved) reflect.
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would like to see a undaunted ultimate that would pull all nearby enemy's to you. this would be great for tanks so the dps can aoe large groups of mobs fast like the deadroth boss in vCOA
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No..... Just no. Their are no cannons or black powered guns in TES hence why they use catapults and trebuchets cause their is no cannons or black powered firearms.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blunderbusses are more of a Warcraft thing than thematically appropriate for ESO, but I do like the idea of more ultimates in general!
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I realize some of you dont' like the notion of the Blunderbuss, but a Dwemer Device still seems possible as well as appropriate to the Undaunted way? Think about Raynor and Kireth Vanos, the brother and sister dunmer archaeological team that studies Dwemer Artifacts and ruins. This was my inspiration for the concept. Please don't think the concept is married to a gunpowder based weapon. I feel like people are getting caught up in the minutia on that concept. I do know for a fact the Dwemer have Fire and Steam weapons, Lightning Cannons, and Harpoon guns, as well as Crossbows. I would also argue that many Dwemer artifacts should be in more 'mint' condition in this era than they are by the time you discover them during Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim.
    <And plenty more>
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hrmmm.... Should we add guns in...NO....

Should they be here logically... I think so...

I mean if the dwemer had the ability to FIRE centurions out of tubes... and create numerous complicated robots... I think the understanding of "guns" was definitely within their understanding. and in larger forms ... such as at Nychaleft in wrothgar where u literally have them being SHOT OUT of tubes like cannons (not rolling out of their own propulsion) it is definitely understood and put to use.
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH-HELL-NO-meme-29464.jpg
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    OH-HELL-NO-meme-29464.jpg

I like Morgan Freeman as much as the next guy, but we don't need him stating the pros and cons of Weapon or Undaunted Ultimates in ESO. :P

<And plenty more>
  • DanielMaxwell
    DanielMaxwell
    ✭✭✭
    @dodgehopper_ESO the only projectile weapons in any TES game have been bows , and possibly a rare crossbow . blundersbusses and simalr projectile weapons are not needed or suited for this game , the lore for the games time frame does not allow for them.

the idea for more ultimate skills for skill lines that do not have one is do able and might add some build diversity to the game , if done right .
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said, I'm fine with exploding harpoon style projectiles that fit the artwork of the Dwemer, fired from a crossbow or mechanical atlatl. I'm fine also with 'summoning' dwemer artifacts as well. The 'item' could be a Dwemer Control Rod on cast, that brings out a large Spider, Centurion, etc. The point with the Undaunted Ultimate suggestion is that its an obvious gap in the skill line, and I wanted to fit something cool in there. I led the discussion with the Dwemer idea because I knew inherently it was controversial and would get conversation on the topic of Weapon ultimates/Undaunted Ultimate. It is a bit ironic but a soul gem and dwemer oil-based Tesla gun or elemental weapon might actually be more fitting.
    <And plenty more>
  • Detector
    Detector
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weapon Ultimates - YES!