The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Argonian- If we lose our tail does it grow back?

ashlee17
ashlee17
✭✭✭✭
Just talking with my guild on TS and a very interesting question came up that none of us could answer...

As an argonian, if we lose our tail does it grow back?

I'm sure my character would appreciate some clarity on this issue before continuing its harrowing adventures while saving nirn.
Administrator of More Than Fair Guild- North American Server- Come and Join us for a fun and friendly experience - 480+ members and great trader location- all factions welcome - mail me @ashlee17 in game for an invite.
Join the crusade for better guild management tools!
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145742/help-we-need-more-guild-management-tools/p1
Please comment and support this cause!

Best Answers

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that it would behave like an arm or a leg so probably not. After all it is quite a big tail.

Those creatures whose tails grow back tend to be those who can also shed their skin. Can Argonians shed their skin and grow a new one?

This article has some interesting points

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotomy
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
    Answer ✓
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "All live at the whim of the Great Root."

There is nothing certain about Argonian physiology. There are Argonians with wings deep in the Black Marsh, Argonians with poisonous fangs, there are those who were called back and strenghtened during the Oblivion Crisis. Given their natural healing abilities, regrowing limbs is not outside the realm of possibility. I'm not sure if it could always happen, though, or just when spurred by the Hist's specific decision.
    Edited by Rosveen on February 19, 2015 10:51AM
    Answer ✓
  • Majic
    Majic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just need one volunteer...
    Epopt Of The Everspinning Logo, Church Of The Eternal Loading Screen
    And verily, verily, spaketh the Lord: "Error <<1>>"
    Answer ✓
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Argonian can regenerate tail or even a finger. Remember No-Fingers? "But the moment I call myseld Lost-No-Fingers a guar will tear off my arm".
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Answer ✓
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Argonian can regenerate tail or even a finger. Remember No-Fingers? "But the moment I call myseld Lost-No-Fingers a guar will tear off my arm".
    There you have it, pretty clear answer. But I still believe it is possible under exceptional circumstances - perhaps through direct contact with a Hist tree/sap.
    Answer ✓
  • Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    How does the tail not have bones? How do they move it?
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...
    Answer ✓
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean like in dragon ball Z?
    Answer ✓
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dreamo84 wrote: »
    How does the tail not have bones? How do they move it?

The same way we move our "Pe..s"? ;)
    Answer ✓
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    There you have it, pretty clear answer. But I still believe it is possible under exceptional circumstances - perhaps through direct contact with a Hist tree/sap.

Actually it's a very nice question to Loremaster. I hope we get anwers on this question in one of dlc's about Black Marsh (I think I saw something about new argonian region).
    Answer ✓
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ashlee17 wrote: »

But the major difference is that limbs like arms and legs and even fingers have bones!

An Argonian tail has no bones, so it makes me think that it may regenerate.
    How do you know it has no bones? Lizard tails have bones, it only changes after regeneration (bone is replaced with cartilage).
    Answer ✓
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Actually it's a very nice question to Loremaster. I hope we get anwers on this question in one of dlc's about Black Marsh (I think I saw something about new argonian region).
    That would be nice. Heck, it's worth a shot even now: @Lawrence_Schick gave us a great answer in the Khajiit thread, any chance for some insight about Argonians? Pretty please. :)
    Answer ✓
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assume, as others have, if this is possible the argonian would have to go to a hist tree and ingest its sap and perhaps cover its wound in sap. After all, we've never seen an Argonian that's lost its tail.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Answer ✓
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But the major difference is that limbs like arms and legs and even fingers have bones!

How do you know it has no bones? Lizard tails have bones, it only changes after regeneration (bone is replaced with cartilage).

I know that they have no bones because when we are cursed or use Gemstone of the Skeletal Visage- we have no bones or tail in skeletal form. Ill post a pic for you :) Also even other argonian NPCs have no tail in skeletal form.
    Look at the skull, it's human too. There are simply no Khajiit or Argonian skeletons in the game. It's a gameplay issue, not lore.
    Edited by Rosveen on February 19, 2015 3:09PM
    Answer ✓
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians, biologically, are more amphibian than they are reptile, and the fact that their gender isn't even determined until their naming day, well after their birth, suggests they have a malleable biological structure... at least when hist sap is involved.

So an Argonian may be more similar to Gecko than a Lizard.

That would explain why this guy is credited as "Sells-You-Insurance"
    gecko-tampabay.com_.jpeg
    Edited by Gidorick on February 19, 2015 5:46PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Answer ✓
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take on the question would be "no". Argonains are not small lizards, they are more akin to crocodiles or larger varans and such. Those don't regrow their tails, so argonians won't either. Same way there are argonians in the game who are cautious about loosing fingers, or lost an eye.

...that stated...
    ...in a fantasy world with healing magic, there most likely IS some obscure ritual that stimulates any body to regrow a lost part, be it hand or tail. Though it most likely is difficult to perform, and a secret known to few, and thus limited to people with a lot of wealth, magical prowess or the right connections.
    ...There also might be magical prostetics, clockwork limbs enchanted to work like flesh and blood, gemstones spelled to take over for lost eyes, that sort of thing. Again, likely rare and expensive.
    ...and finally... player characters capable of recovering from death thanks to "vestige" status likely will recover from anything else too. Although... it -would- be interesting if every respawn gave you an "healing wound" debuff that weakened your character for a while unless/until you used some extra-special medical potion, bandage, healing crystal, whatever. Sort of like the crippled limbs in "FallOut"... (though I expect most players would just carry a good deal of the "fixit" items, and carry on withjout pause, so it wouldn't add more then one more thing to bring with you I guess...)
    Answer ✓
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, with the "vestige" fluff we all are kinda recovering from any injury, much like a deadra, reconstructing our bodies no matter what happens. I mean, haven't we all seen that? From falling into a bottomless abyss to jumping into hot lava, getting eaten by slaughterfish or crushed by a catapult stone... vestiges just bounce back from anything...
    So... new scars would just heal up again. Thus the only scars our characters are supposed to have are those they got while they were still fully alive, before getting murdered by mannimarco and the whole coldharbour thing we escape from in the start of the game.
    Thus the "weakened for a short while" idea, since it kinda vexes me that dying is just "respawn, carry on" without any consequence save some armor repairs...
    Answer ✓
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That question has been "answered" last year as part of the Loremaster's Archive series (From Argonian to Saxhleel):
    I’ve heard Argonians have amazing regenerative properties. If an Argonian limb is severed, will it grow back? – TheHumanFloyd

Vicecanon Heita-Meen says, “I erect the spine of baffled incredulity. Where DO you humans come by these notions? Waxhuthi!”
    So it seems it might not happen or not be that easy or qucik. :)
    Answer ✓
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try and find out!
    Wololo.
  • ashlee17
    ashlee17
    ✭✭✭✭

Edited by ashlee17 on February 19, 2015 1:47PM
    Administrator of More Than Fair Guild- North American Server- Come and Join us for a fun and friendly experience - 480+ members and great trader location- all factions welcome - mail me @ashlee17 in game for an invite.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145742/help-we-need-more-guild-management-tools/p1
  • ashlee17
    ashlee17
    ✭✭✭✭

I know that they have no bones because when we are cursed or use Gemstone of the Skeletal Visage- we have no bones or tail in skeletal form. Ill post a pic for you :) Also even other argonian NPCs have no tail in skeletal form.
    Edited by ashlee17 on February 19, 2015 3:03PM
  • ashlee17
    ashlee17
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still see no proof either way for if their tails have bones or can regenerate- so the original question still stands :)
  • vlaskov1tz
    vlaskov1tz
    ✭✭
    As a test try to cut off your own tail, similar result you would achieve in ESO I suppose.
    Edited by vlaskov1tz on February 19, 2015 4:01PM
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still see no proof either way for if their tails have bones or can regenerate- so the original question still stands :)

Their tails have bones. Even small lizards have bones in their "first" tail, so there is no doubt in that fact. Another fact that Argonians linked to Hist tree and sap. Maybe (only maybe!!) they have ritual in hatchling pool, which locates near Hist tree to regenerate lost limb.
  • Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    You'll just never know... Unless you're an Argonian!
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many reptiles can regenerate their tail if lost, but these are generally limited to small lizards. Large reptiles are not capable of such.

So the closest real-world-based interpretation is that Argonians cannot regenerate the tail.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have never seen an Argonian without a tail; whether this means a tailless Argonian regenerates or simply dies remains to be seen.

Do not recall any amputees of any race in Tamriel actually...

If Argonians do regenerate their tails, would Argonian Necromancers be able to make badass Flesh Atronachs out of their own pieces?
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take on the question would be "no". Argonains are not small lizards, they are more akin to crocodiles or larger varans and such. Those don't regrow their tails, so argonians won't either. Same way there are argonians in the game who are cautious about loosing fingers, or lost an eye.

...that stated...
    ...in a fantasy world with healing magic, there most likely IS some obscure ritual that stimulates any body to regrow a lost part, be it hand or tail. Though it most likely is difficult to perform, and a secret known to few, and thus limited to people with a lot of wealth, magical prowess or the right connections.
    ...There also might be magical prostetics, clockwork limbs enchanted to work like flesh and blood, gemstones spelled to take over for lost eyes, that sort of thing. Again, likely rare and expensive.
    ...and finally... player characters capable of recovering from death thanks to "vestige" status likely will recover from anything else too. Although... it -would- be interesting if every respawn gave you an "healing wound" debuff that weakened your character for a while unless/until you used some extra-special medical potion, bandage, healing crystal, whatever. Sort of like the crippled limbs in "FallOut"... (though I expect most players would just carry a good deal of the "fixit" items, and carry on withjout pause, so it wouldn't add more then one more thing to bring with you I guess...)

I know this isn't what you were talking about but I would love if every time I was killed my character became scarred.... that would be awesome.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... I think we have an answer!

Ey9BiTl.jpg?1

I realize it's a joke on the "It was the one-armed man!" shtick from the Fugitive.

And maybe the quote is significant because there ARE no tailless Argonians! So... we are as answerless as we were before. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine an Argonian without a tail could make quite the deal with Sheogorath for a new tail. It would probably be a rather grumpy tail that tried to kill its owner all the time, but one should know better than to make deals with Daedric Princes.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Kublakan
    Kublakan
    ✭✭✭
    It does grow back. Have you ever seen an argonian without a tail, still alive to tell the tale?