Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should there be Daedric Invasions?

arena25
arena25
✭✭✭✭✭
I play Rift, and I want to know whether or not adding invasions will help. For this question, an invasion consists of a commander with more health pool and 1-5 followers with a smaller health pool. Invasions also will come out of dolmens.
Edited by arena25 on October 20, 2014 3:18PM
If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!

Should there be Daedric Invasions? 121 votes

YES! Invasions will gain level and rampage around Tamriel until destroyed.
38% 46 votes
YES! Invasions should come, but invasions should not leave the zone in which they spawned (similar to Rift).
36% 44 votes
NO! I like the mini-dolmens and full-sized dolmens already.
7% 9 votes
I vote no, but for a different reason.
4% 6 votes
I don't care.
5% 7 votes
Lord Arena25, are you insane? Do you need to see a pschyologist?
7% 9 votes
  • PSLAnimal
    PSLAnimal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I kind of like the idea of epic zone events. You mentioned Rift, which I'm not familiar with, but the second option reminds me of the Rikti invasions in City of Heroes, which were great fun.
    Animal (Ask me what the PSL stands for. Go on. Ask.)
    @PSLAnimal on the NA Megaserver
    Making people wonder just what the hell is wrong with me since 1961.
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voting on my own poll...

I think Daedric invasions should rampage around Tamriel, killing, pillaging, and in general doing as much damage as they can until destroyed by players. However, health pools should be small enough for both commander and followers that they can be killed by someone equivalent to level.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main concern with this is in the vet zones for Cadwell's Silver and Gold. If those zones are fairly empty, and the invasion gets going pretty strong, you may not be able to get the support you need to stop it, and then you can't continue on your quests without getting killed.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this idea. Feels like a great opportunity to improve dolmens. But, this is a good point:
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    My main concern with this is in the vet zones for Cadwell's Silver and Gold. If those zones are fairly empty, and the invasion gets going pretty strong, you may not be able to get the support you need to stop it, and then you can't continue on your quests without getting killed.

They would have to implement it in a way that scaled to how many people are in the zone, or something like that. If you're on late and trying to solo some quests, it would suck to keep getting killed by roaming Daedra.

• Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought while questing that it'd be cool that if other players were on a certain part of a quest I was on that they would intertwine with each other whether it be with a foe or exchanging quest items with one another to be able to complete quest or gain a bonus/rare item for doing so.
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If their was going to be a daedric invasion I would be hoping for something along the line of those blue portal encounters where the would grow until finally being dissipated by the city guard.

But the problem with this is that it would drastically change the story and atmosphere of the city you are in.
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was actually my fav thing from Rift and I would love to see something like that here. Sadly I think the game will stay very static.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoulScream wrote: »
    That was actually my fav thing from Rift and I would love to see something like that here. Sadly I think the game will stay very static.

Yeah, I'm sure it's not a top priority thing for ZoS to be working on. The dolmens are pretty cool as they are anyway.

But eventually if invasions did happen and Daedra were attacking towns we'd have epic battles involving Daedra, NPCs, and Players. That'd be awesome.
  • justin.sniesakub17_ESO
    I would LOVE to have Daedric invasions shut down a zone until they are stopped. Make it happen ZOS.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE? Errr...not a good idea. I would love to see it in PvP though. Imagine a keep battle going when suddenly a bunch of Daedra show up to join the party.
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Evergnar‌, THAT would be awesome.

<Warning! Mini-comedy>

Defense is doing alright...hey, where did the attackers go.
    The attackers are running away, sir, because daedra is coming.
    WHAT? All soldiers on alert right now.
    Yes, captain.

Ah, the exact reason daedra hates us.
  • ericprydz82ub17_ESO
    One of my fondest memories of WoW was during The Burning Crusade's pre-release event and watching those massive bosses just wonder around and kill everyone in their path. I remember the core hounds going just inside The city walls destroying everything.
    -Pryda - Ebonheart Pact XB1 NA
    World first HelRa Hardmode player.
    GT: Bootleg Mix
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evergnar wrote: »
    In PvE? Errr...not a good idea. I would love to see it in PvP though. Imagine a keep battle going when suddenly a bunch of Daedra show up to join the party.

Actually.. that's an awesome idea! Never thought of it that way.

Agreed that it would hard to do in PvE properly. But in Cyrodiil.. epicness!
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »

If it is zone only you would have to seek refuge in a safe-zone until you regroup and then take the zone back en-masse.
    So yes that does sound exciting and would make the gameplay epic...but that very impact would make it almost impossible for levelled questing in those no go zones.

Don't know....tough call from my perspective. I think I would be happy to literally have to group up and goto war with the daedra in one of the zones though. As long as it wasn't constantly.....maybe once a week at most.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cazic wrote: »

One of the problems with PVP is population inbalance. What if when the server is faction locked or overpopulated by one side you can play as daedra or wait ? I had originally considered a bandit/rogue faction for this overflow, but enemy daedra could work too ? Almost like cog vs locust in gears of war
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 20, 2014 4:33PM
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree that PvE will be a little bit hard...but in PvP imagine a daedra gank squad chasing after your own gank squad...gank vs. gank...I'd LOOVVVVEE to see that.
  • Mordria
    Mordria
    ✭✭✭✭
    "YES! Invasions will gain level and rampage around Tamriel until destroyed."

Oblivion gates randomly opening around Tamriel. That would be awesome. As long as they are rare occurrences with a great reward for participation I think it would be super fun.
    Edited by Mordria on October 20, 2014 5:31PM
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see a big ol bonedaddy thing - like BIG just drop out of the sky in vulkhel guard....imagine the bricks all over the place! We could then use them for player housing.
    Ta daa!
  • Jabbar
    Jabbar
    ✭✭
    Yo invasions are silly because Aion and Guildwars 2 were silly and that stuff was the worst. Let's have some pretty lady invasions AW YEAAHHHH. OH NO STOP EM. THEY GET HOTTER WITH EVERY ONE OF US THEY CATCH. Thats what Im talking about.

HA. Invasions. pfttttttffffffffft
    Hunt in the dark.

www.AsylumNocturne.com
  • samueltannerb14_ESO
    This may be may favorite aspect of Rift, and was hoping that the Dark Anchors could be close, but alas they are not. The Anchors are ok, but I would love them to be a bit bigger.
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think invasions would be cool in both PVE and PVP but I wouldn't want it to completely ruin my questing experience if there are not enough people online to do things, especially at the Veteran level for silver and gold as mentioned previously. They would just need to balance it out or put it on a timer perhaps. Maybe after a specific amount of time NPC's from the Mages and Fighters guild come out and down the baddies in order to keep it from spiraling out of control. This could also make it so that no rewards or what have you drop once the guilds show up to contain the incident.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • chipputer
    chipputer
    ✭✭✭
    Athas24 wrote: »
    Maybe after a specific amount of time NPC's from the Mages and Fighters guild come out and down the baddies in order to keep it from spiraling out of control. This could also make it so that no rewards or what have you drop once the guilds show up to contain the incident.

I like this idea. It would make it work for everyone. If you can't fight back just avoid them until the NPCs show up to automatically contain the situation. Removing the reward would be a great way to prevent people from reaping rewards for no effort, however they would have to set it up to where the guilds don't show up until the enemies are completely out of combat with anyone else. I can imagine something like this happening where a group that is just barely strong enough to slowly win the fight ends up having the guilds come and intrude and they lose their reward and rage all over the forums about it.

Also, I think something like this would be lovely in PvP. Imagine this:

[Faction Name] is holding nearly every single fort, stomping the competition. [Faction Name 2] is attempting to take back forts close to their main base of operations and is beginning to make headway. [Faction Name 3] doesn't have enough players on to attempt a comeback and are being stomped every time they attempt to.

The server takes this into account (player size, number of keeps/scrolls held, etc) and suddenly a daedric invasion drops outside of a few of the forts closer to [Faction Name 3], but not close enough to directly intervene in the combat and give them an advantage. [Faction Name] now has to defend the other areas from the daedra while attempting to defend the forts that the other two factions are attempting to take back.

I feel like it would make things so much more dynamic, but at the same time would have to be carefully tuned so we wouldn't end up with something like when Super Smash Bros introduced tripping in Brawl and completely ruined most of the competitiveness that people were looking forward to.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

One of the problems with PVP is population inbalance. What if when the server is faction locked or overpopulated by one side you can play as daedra or wait ? I had originally considered a bandit/rogue faction for this overflow, but enemy daedra could work too ? Almost like cog vs locust in gears of war

Cool idea. There's also the option of having the Daedra roam mostly in the territory of the winning faction if there's an imbalance. That would help even things out for the losing factions.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

Cool idea. There's also the option of having the Daedra roam mostly in the territory of the winning faction if there's an imbalance. That would help even things out for the losing factions.

Actually say faction lock was 500 each.
    The number of Daedra introduced will faction lock the under populated sides and replace players until they log in.

In buff campains with no opposing factions 500 AD (example) could be facing 1000 daedra ? Now you can earn your bonuses ;)
    That seriously will be an invasion force to reckon with.
    lmao... one of the "oh crap" moments

Could that fix buff servers, populations issues in one go ?
    What if the daedra army focus on the strongest enemy 1st ?
    What of ZOS can move the Daedra armies around too dynamically ?
    ie ZOS are the general of the Daedra NPC army.

[They would actually have to play an active roll in the game and get good 1st hand experience of all the issues 1st hand]
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 20, 2014 6:50PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    arena25 wrote: »
    I play Rift, and I want to know whether or not adding invasions will help. For this question, an invasion consists of a commander with more health pool and 1-5 followers with a smaller health pool. Invasions also will come out of dolmens.

That would be cool.

Heck, they could base an entire Main Questline around it.

They could have anchors drop from the sky and Daedric portals.

They could even take over the Imperial City or something...

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of my fondest memories of WoW was during The Burning Crusade's pre-release event and watching those massive bosses just wonder around and kill everyone in their path. I remember the core hounds going just inside The city walls destroying everything.

That happened to me in RIFT - was one of the funniest and best moments. We got totally destroyed by the invasion, stood around for a minute and watched them all dance on our faces...then went back in and eventually won.

3e5x42syw41554c.jpg

Edited by babylon on October 21, 2014 12:12PM
  • Theosis
    Theosis
    ✭✭✭✭

I loved the Zombie invasions. Would very much enjoy daedra invasions.

Why are there no pirate attacks either?
    This is were my signature would be if I was allowed one.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just as an aside, after a while nobody even turns up to fight invasions, people just run past them and get on with other stuff...
  • Aenra
    Aenra
    ✭✭✭✭
    as far as Rift-like """dynamic""" events go, as @babylon above me just said..they grow stale and quickly. They are also way too artificial, just another dead script running, go, take reward, leave. Or do not and face what? Imagine being unable to reach a lorebook location, or a delve entrance..nuh uh; buzz and hype aside, they introduced nothing.

Star War Galaxies had an interesting way of implementing those. Bout a decade prior to Rift by the way. But again, they amounted to pretty much the same. Unimaginative, stable, repetitive grind and that only as an alternative.

Whatever my disagreements with certain aspects of ESO, it sure as hell can do a lot better than that.
    Pride, honour and purity
  • Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing idea, I'd however suggest that they can only appear if there is a certain pop reached, additionally there should be a server wide info (similar to the ones when something in Cyrodiil happens).

The only problem for me is: what do you do to prevent v14 going to low lvl zones and oneshooting the low invaders? You can't make them V14 otherwise the lowlvl characters would have no chance to fend them off.