Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar Update

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Below is an early look at the improvements we will be releasing next week, for the Templar. This is a small part of our ongoing class and skill line efforts, and there will be more to come.

Aedric Spear: Puncturing Strikes
  • Puncturing Strikes’ overall damage to all targets will be increased by 10%.
  • Puncturing Strikes’ damage to your closest target will be increased from 100% to 110%.
  • The Piercing Spear passive will add melee critical strike in addition to spell critical strike when using spear abilities.

Dawn’s Wrath: Nova
  • Nova will be capable of critical strikes.
  • Nova damage per tick will be increased by 20%.

Dawn’s Wrath: Solar Disturbance (Nova morph)
  • Solar Disturbance will scale in damage from Ranks I-IV.
  • Solar Disturbance will snare targets by 60% at all ranks.

Dawn’s Wrath: Solar Flare
  • Solar Flare’s cast time will be decreased from 1.5 seconds to 1.3 seconds.
  • Dark Flare will increase in damage as it ranks up.

Dawn’s Wrath: Sun Fire
  • Sun Fire damage will last an extra second, resulting in an extra damage tick with two points in the Enduring Rays passive.
  • Sun Fire’s snare effect and damage effect will now match.
  • Sun Fire’s damage-over-time will be increased by 10% more overall damage.

Thank you for providing us the feedback necessary to make these improvements. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on them, and invite you to let us know what other Templar fixes and improvements you'd like to see.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • terence.caroneb17_ESO
    finally, hope it's just the tip of the iceberg !
  • chaosme
    chaosme
    ✭✭✭
    I am really glad for these changes but there are some points that I would like to raise:

1. Currently the Piercing Spear passive in the Aedric Spear line states that it increases critical strike chance by 10% at 2/2. Looking at the change for Aedric Spear line in this post suggests to me that this passive currently only adds spell critical chance? If that is the case, then this is another case of a bad tooltip and I hope the tooltips of both skills and passives can be fixed to be more direct in stating what they do and affect so that us players can stop getting confused and putting skill points into passives or morphs and find out that they are not actually what they are advertised.

2. I am glad that Nova is being worked on so that it can now deal critical strikes and also more damage. Though I think the ultimate cost for this is still a tad high when compared to other similar ultimates that only cost 200 such as the Standard of Might and Veil of Blades.

Regardless, I must still say that I am happy that something is being done to tune this class, however small the changes might be at this stage. Hopefully, something along the lines of some form of resource management in the magicka side can come along in the near future.
  • Syndy
    Syndy
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Flare decreased cast time and more damage...

Also some Nova love! It's a good day.

Thanks! <3

Edit: Templars need some sort of resource management option other than a minimal decrease in spell cost... If you play your templar as rdps/support, you are forced to use a Healing staff to even go through 2 rotations of abilities.

Edit 2: I don't think Templars should do as much dps as Night Blades or Sorcs, or be able to take a beating like Dragon Knights (which do to much dmg combined with their survivability).

IMO buffing dmg is not the way to go, giving Templars a way to replenish magicka would help the class more than any dmg buff. Templars can do some insane burst healing so they don't need to be able to do insane damage due to that.
    Edited by Syndy on June 19, 2014 4:24PM
    Syndy - VR14 Breton Templar
    Sacrilege
    Daggerfall Covenant

Warhammer
    Syndia - 100 Zealot, Syndai - 99 Black Guard, Cyndrana - 84 Sorceress
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    glad to see some tweaking going on for templars
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    FINALLLY!
    Thanks a lot!
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • fenris4024
    This is great news... now if we can get SOME form of resource management for the class... (lowered costs don't really count guys... c'mon...) Like the above poster stated, we're still kinda pigeonholed into running with a resto staff in order to keep our magicka anywhere near usable levels.
  • terence.caroneb17_ESO
    As others have said here, we also need some good ressource management options (inside the class skill lines) to get back magicka/health (I'm not talking about stamina but hey if you fix the stamina problem and make dodge/interrupt not take so much stamina or use a new pool that would be great).
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any plans on fixing blazing shield? it is not increasing its shield no mater how many enemies near.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on June 19, 2014 4:55PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Glantris
    Glantris
    ✭✭✭
    YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! OOOOOOH YEAH OOOOHHHHHHH GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSSSSS
    Glantris | VR14 AD Templar | Main Group Heals/Support
    Officer of Decibel, Officer of Legend, Sender of Congealed Cheese
  • evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    This looks amazing on paper. The one thing I'd follow up with is a need for magicka management beyond our cost reduction passive.

We already have 2 skills that would be excellent options for doing this:
    Restoring Aura & Channeled Focus.

Restoring Aura: Simply make it apply to magicka recovery (or base restore) on top of Health/Stamina

Channeled Focus: Increase the magicka recovery over time to 10 or 15 from 5 per tic.
    Edited by evedgebah on June 19, 2014 5:59PM
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!!!! a thousand times. I would add like the rest have that Templars need some form a magicka resource management, that is a core problem for Templars.

Please pleas please look into improving (adding more like it) a way for templars to better manage magicka.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fenris4024 wrote: »
    This is great news... now if we can get SOME form of resource management for the class... (lowered costs don't really count guys... c'mon...) Like the above poster stated, we're still kinda pigeonholed into running with a resto staff in order to keep our magicka anywhere near usable levels.

My question to you or anyone else is, why not use Spell Symmetry just like Sorc? No Sorc worth taking in a trial group is using Dark Conversion to regen magicka so therefore Sorc is in the same exact boat and relies only on Spell Symmetry in group pve situations.
    Edited by Erock25 on June 19, 2014 6:25PM
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    My question to you or anyone else is, why not use Spell Symmetry just like Sorc? No Sorc worth taking in a trial group is using Dark Conversion to regen magicka so therefore Sorc is in the same exact boat and relies only on Spell Symmetry in group pve situations.

I don't understand that one either. The best regen magicka skill in the game isn't even a class skill. I use Spell Symmetry on my templar all the time, very successfully I might add. Mostly in in PvE, but even in PvP, if I'm back-lining as healer.

People keep telling me they can't use it because they're scared of dying, to lazy to read lore books and blah blah some other stupid reason. They will say pretty much anything that allows them to keep crying about magicka management. It's not hard to learn Spell Symmetry, not hard to time it in-between dmg spikes either.

But of course, if you're a font-lining, face-tanking templar, you wont have much use of it.

These changes looks good as far as dps goes. But what I mostly need myself is some sort of cheap self heal similar to Crit Surge, Dragon Blood or Strife.
    Edited by eliisra on June 19, 2014 7:05PM
  • Shaggygaming
    Shaggygaming
    ✭✭✭
    I do appreciate they're looking at the Templar class

Edited by Shaggygaming on June 20, 2014 3:14AM
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    These changes are not really in line with the feedback. Templars need better magicka sustainability so they are not forced to use dress and staff.

Increasing damage by 10% means little, when currently templar's dps is somewhere around 400-600, i.e. just 50% of other classes.

I would really like to see a video with devs playing the new dungeon with 4 templars. Without robes and staves if possible. Thanks.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maigicka management guys, magicka management. All the damage buffs in the world won't matter when we run out of our resource in 20 seconds...
  • Inco
    Inco
    ✭✭✭✭
    RESOURCE MANAGEMENT - MAGICKA REGEN??? Give us what the same that SORC's are getting please.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Puncturing Strikes’ damage to your closest target will be increased from 100% to 110%.
    • The Piercing Spear passive will add melee critical strike in addition to spell critical strike when using spear abilities.

Fantastic! Could you explain the closest enemy in more depth? For example, if current damage is 40, it will now be 44 (+10%). That seems like easy math. What would the closest enemy damage be? 2 x 44 would be 88. Is it now 88 x 1.1 = 96.8? Or is it 44 x 2.1 which would only be 92.4? Or is it 2.1 times current damage = 40 x 2.1 = 84?

Nice boost, but the Ultimate Cost still seems a bit excessive compared to similar Ultimates from other classes that only cost 200 (DK Standard, Atronach, Veil of Blades).

Didn't even notice it was not scaling in damage! So Rank IV will now do 15 base damage instead of 12?

Again, did not notice it was not scaling damage! Will it now do 35 base damage at Rank IV instead of 32?
    • Sun Fire damage will last an extra second, resulting in an extra damage tick with two points in the Enduring Rays passive.

So, Sun Fire/Reflective Light will last 5.5 seconds and Vampire's Bane will last 7.5 seconds? Does the splash damage from Relfective Light do DoT to the other enemies? Or is it a one time hit and only the primary target takes DoT? I think only the primary target takes DoT, which makes me feel like Reflective Light should do more splash damage if you want to boost dps for Templar.
    Thank you for providing us the feedback necessary to make these improvements. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on them, and invite you to let us know what other Templar fixes and improvements you'd like to see.

As others have mentioned, desperately need magicka management. I think Restoring Spirit returned magicka in beta but was deemed overpowered. Perhaps a nerfed version of that instead of the current 4% spell cost reduction? I mean, a 4% reduction on a 300 cost spell is 12 magicka. 4% of max magicka returned on cast (which is I think what it was in beta) with a max magicka of 1600 is 64 magicka. OK, returning 64 magicka on every cast might be a bit much, especially if it was every DoT tick of Sun Fire or every jab of Puncturing Strikes, but there has to be a happy medium in here somewhere!

Explosive Charge - does this have a radius for damaging enemies in the area? Always seems like if I charge into a group of 3 mobs, some mobs invariably get away unscathed. Is it a tiny radius? Or is it a forward cone based on where you make contact? It is a great skill in theory, but it seems like the enemy I target is the only one who gets consistently damaged, which makes the morph not much better than Focused Charge. Also, could you make me stop in front of the enemy I targeted? Half the time I end up past the enemy and I have to start spinning around trying to find where the enemies went. That is no fun, especially for first-person players.

Is Enduring Rays WAI? Seems like Sun Fire says X damage over Y seconds. Take Enduring Rays and it says X damage over Z seconds. Damage the same, time increased = lower dps. Is that a bug? A feature? A tooltip issue?

What is the deal with Honor the Dead? I can't get the magicka return from healing while below 50% health. I seem to need to be below 50% *after* I finish the heal. Is that WAI? That is flirting with disaster if I wait until I am close to death to heal so I am still below 50% health. Especially in VR where you don't want to mess around with putting off healing because even the weakest trash mobs hit like a truck and will kill you if you don't do your best to keep health up pretty high.

Thanks!
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If doe not really matter what skills they change, without resource management, the class is dead end game. My main is a V12 templar, but I also have a V12 sorc and V12 DK now.

Any fight that is over 3 mins long (all end game boss fights and vet dugns), the Templar is useless compared to a DK or Sorc. They are still PLAYABLE, but if you have a V12 sorc and a V12 templar, and play both, its so clear which one is designed well with synergy, and which is broken.

I love the dev's are looking at the templar class, but it does not matter how much damage your spells etc can do if you have no resources to cast them. The dev's took away our resource management skill in beta, and said they would replace it and never did. I will not be logging on my templar until that is looked as, as they are no fun to play compared to the DK or Sorc.

All templar players, I recommend you connect to PST and try a V12 Sorc and V12 DK to see how much better they have it. Both DK and Sorc can be build to have endless mana and heal themselves endless in solo battles. Templars mana was nerfed so they could not self heal forever, but the DK and Sorcs CAN.

From the dev's post, its clear they do not want to touch our resource management, they just want to throw us a bone with a little extra dps here or there. It will be interesting to see how many V12 templars have re-rolled.
    Edited by Natjur on June 19, 2014 8:23PM
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Temp is getting looked at and I'm not against all these suggestions that Temp needs more Magicka sustainability but almost every post mentions Sorc sustain and I just don't get it. Can someone tell me what they are talking about?

Dark Conversion is bad and kills your DPS. Sitting there and channeling a spell for 5 seconds every 20 seconds is not what I call magicka sustain.

Then there is Energy Overload ultimate which only works in AOE. I only really ever use this in solo PVE situations.

Then there is what every Sorc uses in group PVE / Trials which is Spell Symmetry. Spell Symmetry is available to all. Kind of confused at what these Temps are calling for if the best magicka sustain is available for all. Are all of these people talking about solo PVE?
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka management is OK if you play a mage build in a robe with a (resto) staff. Equilibrium is also usable if you have other healers nearby. But some templars are actually those healers. Or they would like to play as tanks in heavy armor with a weapon. Then, magicka sustainability becomes a real problem.
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Below is an early look at the improvements we will be releasing next week, for the Templar. This is a small part of our ongoing class and skill line efforts, and there will be more to come.

It's a start, but not nearly enough. The core of the issue is there is very little synergy to templar skills and passives like those that exist in other classes. And, I don't mean press X synergy. I mean our skills are a discombobulated amalgam of unrelated usefulness and they do not jive with one another well. And, to top it all off there is no sustainability to our dps, because we have zero resource regeneration.

Furthermore, some skills that would otherwise be useful have extremely short durations and the limited window of usefulness makes them extremely situational at best.
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortosk wrote: »
    It's a start, but not nearly enough. The core of the issue is there is very little synergy to templar skills and passives like those that exist in other classes. And, I don't mean press X synergy. I mean our skills are a discombobulated amalgam of unrelated usefulness and they do not jive with one another well. And, to top it all off there is no sustainability to our dps, because we have zero resource regeneration.

Furthermore, some skills that would otherwise be useful have extremely short durations and the limited window of usefulness makes them extremely situational at best.
    That why the Sorc and DK are fun to play, their passives have synergy across the class trees so you can mix and match the skills and still have a valid build. The Templar, not so.
  • Shaggygaming
    Shaggygaming
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how many V12 templars have re-rolled.

I'm a VR12 Templar and I'm waiting to see how the first class balance goes for Templars. I have already quit if it wasn't for my guild. They're a great group of people and make the game enjoyable. If they can't put Templars in the middle of the pack after the balance I will probably unsub.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fuxo wrote: »
    Magicka management is OK if you play a mage build in a robe with a (resto) staff. Equilibrium is also usable if you have other healers nearby. But some templars are actually those healers. Or they would like to play as tanks in heavy armor with a weapon. Then, magicka sustainability becomes a real problem.

I just don't see how a Sorc that isn't in a mage build has it any better. When my Sorc is specced to tank or wearing medium armor, magicka is very tough and I have zero ability to regen it. I'm not using Dark Conversion on a stamina user.

Is it just that Temp spells cost a lot? Weird that it is such a unanimous feeling in this thread but everyone seems wrong about how other classes (particularly Sorc as it is all I know) have it better.
    Edited by Erock25 on June 19, 2014 9:04PM
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone search this thread for the words "magicka regen" and "resource management"? It would be a fun exercise to undertake.

Please report the results to @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
  • NerfEverything
    NerfEverything
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ I'm assuming by next week you mean on the PTS next week? Or is this something we can try out on the PTS now?

Either way, we are very excited that our feedback has been heard and we look forward to trying out these changes!
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't see how a Sorc that isn't in a mage build has it any better. When my Sorc is specced to tank or wearing medium armor, magicka is very tough and I have zero ability to regen it. I'm not using Dark Conversion on a stamina user.

Is it just that Temp spells cost a lot? Weird that it is such a unanimous feeling in this thread but everyone seems wrong about how other classes (particularly Sorc as it is all I know) have it better.
    I now only play my V12 sorc, my V12 templar is parked and my V12 DK is just for PVP (but a lot of fun)

I have used my sorc to tank a vet dung and yes mana regen was harder, but no where near the level of the templar.
    All templar class skills cost too much, and that is why most of our skills don't even get loaded on the bar. To get the best out of a DPS build, you mostly just use Mage Guild skill line.

But the biggest difference between the sorc and the templar is the sorc passives work well across all class trees and some very useful skills.

All sorc builds normally have 50%+ crit, Critical Surge in a real good self heal.
    The passives Unholy Knowledge, Capacitator & Expert Mage all lower your spell costs or increase mana regen.

Templars get one, Restoring Spirit which we only get around L34 and maxed at L50 and no were as good as the first level of Unholy Knowledge.

We don't want templars to be the same as sorc, but why do all classes have a one or two mana regen skills/passives and templars have skills 10% more costly across the board and no passives to make up for any of that?

Well, the devs told us why in beta when they took away our mana regen passive. They do not want the templar to be able to self heal endlessly. But I can endless heal on my sorc with Critical Surge.
    Edited by Natjur on June 19, 2014 9:20PM
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »

I now only play my V12 sorc, my V12 templar is parked and my V12 DK is just for PVP (but a lot of fun)

I have used my sorc to tank a vet dung and yes mana regen was harder, but no where near the level of the templar.
    All templar class skills cost too much, and that is why most of our skills don't even get loaded on the bar. To get the best out of a DPS build, you mostly just use Mage Guild skill line.

But the biggest difference between the sorc and the templar is the sorc passives work well across all class trees and some very useful skills.

All sorc builds normally have 50%+ crit, Critical Surge in a real good self heal.
    The passives Unholy Knowledge, Capacitator & Expert Mage all lower your spell costs or increase mana regen.

Templars get one, Restoring Spirit which we only get around L34 and maxed at L50 and no were as good as the first level of Unholy Knowledge.

We don't want templars to be the same as sorc, but why do all classes have a one or two mana regen skills/passives and templars have skills 10% more costly across the board and no passives to make up for any of that?

Well, the devs told us why in beta when they took away our mana regen passive. They do not want the templar to be able to self heal endlessly. But I can endless heal on my sorc with Critical Surge.

Well Unholy KNowledge is 5% cost reduction. Capacitor is 10% regen which I think most people know by now is literally nothing with everyone being so far into the magicka regen soft cap. Expert Mage is 10% off of one skill tree. So no I don't see how sorc has it so much better when it comes to magicka. I think there are just a lot of non-light armor templars out there that have no clue that other classes wearing medium/heavy have the same issues.

You just posted in another thread how your healer sorc has infinite magicka and it's a load of bull.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just posted in another thread how your healer sorc has infinite magicka and it's a load of bull.
    Test both sides, load into PST, create an instance V12 templar, V12 Sorc and V12 DK and just have a play with them youself and then tell me that they are balanced.

I have them in Prod, but to save yourself time, get the instance one on PST. Before having a one sided view, try the other side out. The only class I don't have on prod at V12 is the NB, I gave up with them at L31 so I never comment on that class. Too many players complain on other classes but never even played them.

My post was Sorc SELF healing = endless with crit surc, and running group runs, AS the healer, I have never run out of mana, due to always using my mana recovery skills (which templar's don't have)
    Edited by Natjur on June 19, 2014 10:25PM