The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Werewolf Story *Spoiler*

Endlessvoid_ESO
Zone: Bangkorai
Area: Kerbol’s Hollow
Side Quest: Freedom’s Chains

Issue: Not enough options, plot holes, and lore questionable.

So not to bore people about the entire thing, I found many issues when completing this quest. I'll list what we are offered.

- Save the couple.
- Save the village.

Now the thing I found confusing is that "Free will" is mentioned many times in the story script but its not fully explored. The leader hints the idea that a similar situation has happened before without the interference of a Hero (You) and that per-cautions had been set up to prevent situations from outsiders, hence the guard. Yet the Hero, walks right in with no confrontations; while the mate waits a full day. *Confusing*

Not only that when you proceed during the goals of the quest, you are given the option to speak too one of the infected on how they become infected and thus reveals that one the WWs that gave the infection, gave the information where this soon-to-be WW could travel too. Now to put aside in loop holes, she was hunting but there is only one pathway into Kerbol’s Hollow that is located on a mountain that not even the player can wall jump into; which rules out that she got infected near the village. Not only that if a WW told her where to go, to so called be cured, that also means that the WW made a choice not to join Kerbol’s Hollow. Which leads to the question on how he made that decision, since the Hero finds out on how the ritual works.

On top of that, going back to the quest, you find out that the mate that is there, has spent a full day and decided to go with the ritual. Now here is where it gets iffy. You interrupt the ritual and the leader hints she can still complete it. The hero discovers that in a way, for the infection to be controlled, the ritual is set up to bring the person into a hive mind, meaning that the person within that ritual loses their individuality and becomes a mindless drone. With that fact, this brought up a lot questions of my own.

- How did the leader discover this ritual and what makes her so special?
- Why can't the leader reverse the ritual on individual people, since it suggests that not all WWs agree with her methods. To back this up, there is already hints that WWs know about this village but chose to roam free and take their chances on Survival.
- If the breaking of the spell on one person, breaks the spell on all, couldn't they just lock up or sleep potion themselves and recast the ritual, on those that wanted to stay, again? (Sure its a hassle but it would give the leader the feature of compassion and understanding.)

In the end the only choices for the Hero to choose, is kill the rogue were-wolf, leaving the mate to hate the leader or... save the couple and sacrifice the entire village.

Too me, I find this story very lacking and incomplete. There are plenty of plot holes into it and I am just not really buying into the story line here in this area. Which leads to my conclusion that the writer did know know what he/she was doing and it was poorly done.

I ended up saving the couple but I also support the drone idea as its another option to contain the infection and continue to keep living somewhat normal lives. Now remember, before the infected become drones, they make a decision on the last of their free-will to live in the village. There fore you cannot say they were forced.
  • Neutronium_Dragon
    Neutronium_Dragon
    ✭✭✭
    Want another big plot hole here?

Leader: "Why are you here? I don't smell any infection on you."

... said to a PC werewolf.

Uhm. Meanwhile said PC werewolf could probably put two and two together before the Big Reveal, especially since they ought to be just as capable of detecting what the others are. Even a non-werewolf, having earlier been through Glenumbra, should be a bit more clueful about the situation. :P
  • Yann
    Yann
    ✭✭✭
    I was bothered by the fact that you don't have the option to force the guy into the ritual, or at least trying to talk him into do it.

I also found annoying that you are forced to stop the ritual even if you know what the leader's doing (because you read the books, for example) and agreed with it. It's like they thought "oh, well, players won't read *** anyway, and they're kind of stupid, so everyone will want to "save" the guy".
  • rirri
    rirri
    ✭✭
    Completely agree. This one needs editing. By the time I got to the 'choice' at the end, I was detached.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to necro a thread, but Dear God, this must be the worst-written quest in the game!
    Edited by MasterSpatula on October 27, 2014 6:10PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sad thing is, they can program responses if you're a werewolf. The quest 'The Heart of the Beast' has completely different dialogue if you have lycanthropy. Hircine will merely comment on how you seem strong and he'll be interested in watching you if you're normal, and will recognize you, call you a pup, and reference your initiation ceremony if you're a werewolf. It gave me the warm fuzzies.

I ran through it the first time with a non-werewolf character and, while there were a few plotholes, it didn't bother me too much. I just chalked it up as another sidestory in the game. I didn't really think on how this would bug me until I ran through it again with my werewolf character. It completely ruins the immersion and any chance of RP'ing.

Also, while I managed to follow things through the first time around, the second time, I must've wandered a little too far off, and missed some of the character interactions. They still happened, of course, but it made the last boss fight confusing and I would've had no idea what was happening, if I hadn't already run through it once.

I will grant, though. I chose to free the werewolves and save the couple both times, and their reactions at the ending was kind of cute.
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• Anex
    Anex
    ✭✭✭
    This quest is so beyond broken and messed up. I've gone in circles just to complete it.. I decided to go with the village choice (still annoyed we can't persuade Draven to go through with the ritual).. after it seemed like I had no choice but to help Renoit because nothing else worked. Now Renoit is following me, I have to capture him but I only have the option to talk to him and it isn't letting me talk to him. I've talked to so many npcs in circles >.<|

EDIT: logging in and out fixed the issue.. I have had to log in and out several times during this quest to get the options to update and continue the quest >.>
    Edited by Anex on December 27, 2014 10:58AM
    Assassination/ Dual Wield Specced Stamina-based Nightblade, because I like Hardmode apparently
    Twitter | Raptr | Twitch.TV
  • crashen17b14_ESO
    crashen17b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the quest was kind of all over the place, and very unsatisfying. But my impression was that you were stuck there ONLY once you started the ritual. If you were a werewolf, showed up, saw what was going on and had the whole spiel pitched and decided it wasn't for you, there was nothing keeping you there. So I can totally buy a werewolf checking out rumors of a haven or cure and finding the village and saying "Y'know what? You guys seem like nice people and all, but I'm gonna go on my own." And then quietly spreading the location of the village to other werewolves who might be interested. That there are a bunch of feral werewolves right outside the town (but conveniently penned in deeper in the hollow, with the village blocking their only path to the rest of the world) suggests that the village is accepting of werewolves who don't want to join the hive mind type thing, so long as they are kept from hurting other people.

And with regards to the nature of the mind control, the book suggests that it's done as a way to sort of diffuse the beast-blood and get in tune with this (for some reason) special location. And talking to the various villagers implies that they are all genuinely happy and capable of free will (several can be convinced to go against the Elder's wishes and tell you more than they should). It's just that they all kind of work together to keep their inner beasts docile. Like a lycanthropic support group.

Seemed like the reason they couldn't let Draven leave once they started (but didn't finish) the ritual was because his unchecked lycanthropy would spread to the rest of the villagers. They were all linked together, but they hadn't gotten to the 'keep the werewolf quiet' part of the ritual when we blunder in.

I almost felt bad killing Draven, but letting him go meant more than the death of the village. It meant the death of a safe place for werewolves to go and not hurt anyone. That said, my biggest complaint was that there was no mention of the werewolf cure in Glenumbra. If you REALLY wanted everyone to be happy, just be like "Hey Draven and Villagers, theres a dude in Camlorn that can cure you."

Really, the Cure of Camlorn undermines a lot of the werewolf stories in the rest of the game, unless that cure ONLY works on those related to Faolchu.
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, to pretty much everything above. Also, when you check out the meat in town the game tells you it's been ripped rather than cut... but they're stuck in human form... sooo.........?

Also, when you read the scroll in Kerbol's house, it's author is some imperial and the hollow is referred to as "Qerbol's".

Since they announced this past Friday on ESO live that they're pretty much not fixing anything else in the lower areas (due to new content), I wouldn't expect any of this to get fixed. Just get your XP and press on I guess.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • Luvtantius_Micocia
    Luvtantius_Micocia
    ✭✭✭
    Today I did this quest and because I got stuck I ended with a search in this thread, september 2015 and it is still bugged as I had to log out and back in to complete it, unfortunately making the wrong choice but at least I finally got past it.
    I like eating sweetrolls and crushing skulls, and I am all out of sweetrolls.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really, the Cure of Camlorn undermines a lot of the werewolf stories in the rest of the game, unless that cure ONLY works on those related to Faolchu.

Setting that aside, there's also the Mages Guild member in Evermore who can cure any player at any time, with no unusual conditions attached. Sure, there's a somewhat steep price tag, and that could be a problem for those NPCs unable to afford it, but I would like to think that a member of the Mages Guild would be willing to let that slide if, for example, there were some kind of epidemic of lycanthropy going around. I don't recall there being any expensive material components... just a purification spell. You're basically paying for the mage's skill, knowledge, time, and energy. All components one could volunteer in a crisis, no?
          In verity.
  • Mtsupp
    Mtsupp
    Soul Shriven
    I'm looking for a werewolf bite PS4 Daggerfall NA server Message me Mtsupp97
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mtsupp wrote: »
    I'm looking for a werewolf bite PS4 Daggerfall NA server Message me Mtsupp97

Wrong thread go to the players helping players and read the sticky
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    I ran into this quest today. I'm sorry to read ESO is not improving older content. The quest doesn't seem to have changed.

At one point, I was trying to help Renoir save his husband. The quest sent me in the building where somehow that reversed. I wanted to reverse it back, so I went outside to talk to Renoir again.

But while the quest pointer showed him on the map, he wasn't there. I had to relog to make him appear.

This quest seems to put the player in the role, with no way out if you do the quest, of having caused the dilemma needing to harm either the husband or the village by interrupting the ritual he actually seemed ok with.

So the only way to not kill him or harm the villagers appears to be to abandon the quest, and not do it. That's probably what I'll do.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Petoften wrote: »
    I'm sorry to read ESO is not improving older content. The quest doesn't seem to have changed.
    I guess, the only logical explanation here is that improving of the older content can't make any profit, and if people still buying a product, why even bother? Too bad, but it seems that all company politics is build solely around making more surplus value. There are a lot of things in the base game, which must be fixed and improved. This quest is one of an example.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant