The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• tage.eriksenb16_ESO
    tage.eriksenb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    No
    I'll add my voice to the chorus - this is a terrible change.
  • Oblongship
    Oblongship
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    337 say no 25 say yes at this time....

Hope ZOS is paying attention...
  • p.hurst1b16_ESO
    p.hurst1b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The AoE cap is counter to the way skill lines develop in the game.

The devs need to be VERY careful that they do not interfere with the way the game plays just to resolve some PvP issues.

The whole game is about smart abilities and area effects. No target heal, for example. So NO cap on players hit and making it some random thing.

To the pvp QQ brigade. Learn to play and get a thick skin. I am shocked and dismayed to see such an ineffective bunch of whingers after all these years of structured PvP in MMO's. You are a disgrace to your community, a cause for shame. I will mock you relentlessly until you grow up or shut up.

Close the pvp forum for a year. Delete all threads that even have PvP in them or mention Cyrodiiil. Sort the other issues out and then open the door for PvP discussions.

Most players are not playing in Cyrodiil anyway, not even hardcore pvp fiends like myself. I will level up first.

The poll result on this thread says it all. DEVS BEWARE. Messing the PvE up to attain PvP "balance" is a retrograde step. Learn from the past and stay clear.

<Enigmatic Name> Is poaching new guild members again ! Apply on our webby with your CV and proof of identity and we can arrange an interview with a panel of our officers.
  • BelowAverage
    BelowAverage
    ✭✭
    No
    I really hope and pray that Zenimax sees this and responds accordingly. If they push this through they are going to help kill their own game. AOE caps is a god awful idea and I refuse to pvp in another game where the biggest zerg rules everything.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I say no to MOST things but SOME Things should (like vampire bats is the only one I can think of)

vampire bats are broken the rest should not have a cap.
  • jim3785rwb17_ESO
    No
    Zenimax, if this god awful idea/patch is implemented, I'm throwing this at you...
    http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200910/r459151_4578566.jpg
    A chicken eating spider from Australia.
    AOE cap is an idea that only a mouth breather would put forward.. that person should be very ashamed and fed to a Crocodile.
  • brusgaard1b16_ESO
    No
    No there shouldnt be an AOE cap, there should be other means of balancing the AOE in the game, and the vampires using devouring swarm.. It's been so nice that smaller groups has a way of dealing with zergs so it's not entirely zerg vs zerg.
    Don't ruin that :s
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Laura wrote: »
    I say no to MOST things but SOME Things should (like vampire bats is the only one I can think of)

vampire bats are broken the rest should not have a cap.

It's only broken because those abusing it make it cost 4 ultimate... Introducing a minimum cost for an ultimate or a maximum % that it can have its cost reduced by would be simple solutions and wouldn't even have to touch the skill's numbers. Ultimates aren't meant to be permaspammed and that is the problem, not what it actually does when active.

Also, voting yes when you basically agreed with me that certain skills need balancing, but most are fine is beyond me.
    Edited by RivenEsq on April 26, 2014 7:09AM
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    CEO & Founder of [KG] Knight Gaming
    @RivenEsq
  • Yetinator
    Yetinator
    No
    I left GW2 because of the aoe cap, don't make me do the same thing here ZOS. I came to this game because the devs stated that in AvA that skilled small groups could hold off large groups with the right tactics; an aoe cap will eliminate this.
    Fix the vamp skill line properly; make it so the stages of vamp don't have any effect on the ultimate cost (or make the ultimate reduction half of the normal reduction; eg. stage 4 = 30% ulti reduction cost) to start with, and make mist form correctly work such that you don't receive the lifesteal heal if you pop it right after the ultimate; that'll deal mostly with the whole 4 ultimate cost vamp cheese problem going round at the moment (I've noticed you're taking steps to balance out the bashomatic builds which is a step in the right direction).
    All in all, start by making small tweaks that don't change the game you've marketed completely.
    To be honest, there are a lot of big bugs that have been around this first month (the painful Greenshade rollbacks, the large number of bank/account resets, and a noticeable amount main progression story quests being broken) or so that most players have overlooked, but a lot haven't, and have cancelled their subscriptions accordingly. This big change is a huge negative that I guarantee will not be overlooked by many of the serious pvpers; don't give these players a very solid reason to leave your game.
  • lordkabal26
    No
    Yetinator wrote: »
    I left GW2 because of the aoe cap, don't make me do the same thing here ZOS. I came to this game because the devs stated that in AvA that skilled small groups could hold off large groups with the right tactics; an aoe cap will eliminate this.
    Fix the vamp skill line properly; make it so the stages of vamp don't have any effect on the ultimate cost (or make the ultimate reduction half of the normal reduction; eg. stage 4 = 30% ulti reduction cost) to start with, and make mist form correctly work such that you don't receive the lifesteal heal if you pop it right after the ultimate; that'll deal mostly with the whole 4 ultimate cost vamp cheese problem going round at the moment (I've noticed you're taking steps to balance out the bashomatic builds which is a step in the right direction).
    All in all, start by making small tweaks that don't change the game you've marketed completely.
    To be honest, there are a lot of big bugs that have been around this first month (the painful Greenshade rollbacks, the large number of bank/account resets, and a noticeable amount main progression story quests being broken) or so that most players have overlooked, but a lot haven't, and have cancelled their subscriptions accordingly. This big change is a huge negative that I guarantee will not be overlooked by many of the serious pvpers; don't give these players a very solid reason to leave your game.

The AoE cap is why I stopped doing WvWvW in GW2 as well, and the living story is the straw that broke the camels back that made me actually quit completely. This cap will just turn AvA into another zergfest carbon copy of GW2 WvWvW. Ain't nobody got time for that ****.
  • Obt
    Obt
    Soul Shriven
    No
    *** please guys, had pleasure to read the patchnote until i saw you AOE cap...Dont do that, please
  • Fysith
    Fysith
    Soul Shriven
    No
    With all the separate campaigns, they should make different rulesets instead of nerfing. Let people decide which way they like to play.
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No

There's really nothing i can say that hasnt already been echoed already. I just felt it important to state my stance after voting.
    Edited by Inklings on April 26, 2014 7:31AM
  • jamesgiordaneb17_ESO
    Not voting as you didn't include a maybe and you have rather jumped to conclusions I feel - it states that they are changing something where UNLIMITED characters could be affected - what it doesn't say is that they are reducing anything that wasn't intended to be unlimited

Consider for a second the potential lag caused by every healer casting a spell that affected every single ally in the zone - and the outcome that could have on the server
    Edited by jamesgiordaneb17_ESO on April 26, 2014 7:40AM
  • eloh1m
    eloh1m
    No
    Honestly, the fact that this change is being considered kind of kills my desire to even continue leveling. This is a path I've seen so many MMOs take before, where the devs nerf things into the ground and remove options from the players because of the potential for abuse.

The end result is a bland, homogenized experience, where the game is balanced because none of the classes have skills that are particularly powerful or fun to use. Don't make the same mistake. If certain skills are overpowered, tone those individual skills down. Don't balance them by narrowing the scope of what players are capable of doing.
    Edited by eloh1m on April 26, 2014 7:46AM
  • dylan.andersen13rwb17_ESO
    No
    It as far better to have abilities that have their damage capped per player once a certain number of players are being hit than just have it outright not hit some players in the AoE
  • stygianvision_ESO
    No
    Why not make the AoE do less damage at certain breakpoints? It doesn't really make sense for my flame breath skill to only hit 6 targets when there are 15 mudcrabs chasing me and it visually hits all of them.
  • Marstar
    Marstar
    No
    Strike 3?
  • finlas_valinorpeb18_ESO
    No
    nerf gain ulti on aoe but not aoe plz :( we want not back in gw2
  • heartunseen
    heartunseen
    Soul Shriven
    No
    This gets a resounding NOPE! from me.

Please, please, please, do NOT go through with this change. Many others have pointed it out -- if you want to see how AoE cap can ruin the diversity of situations in PvP, look at GW2. I'm a staunch defender of that game and its devs and I'm not even into PvP. But even "from the outside", so to speak, the AoE cap was just a bad decision, taking away the need for at least a certain amount of skill in a certain situation. There may be people who love mindlessly running with the zerg, and I agree sometimes it can be hilarious. But mostly it's just... yeah, mindless and somewhat boring.

About limiting AoE healing, I could actually live with a limited number of targets hit by my area heals. But again, that's just speaking from a PvE perspective and I have no idea if that would eff with PvP healing. If it does, leave it alone.

So overall this gets a "no".
  • Devotion
    Devotion
    ✭✭
    No
    no, it totally ruins group play and encourages zergs, it happened to gw2 it will happen here.....
  • Sil_Foundation
    No
    this was only a fraction of my original post. removed as just a portion is useless.
    Edited by Sil_Foundation on April 26, 2014 8:36AM
  • Sil_Foundation
    No
    Well the stupid forum lost my post so I'm not typing it all out again. The TL;DR version is:

This is a game for adults; you're expected to be able to think like an adult. This means not having your hand held because you're too stupid to think of counters to abilities.

If your zerg is dying to AOE dps, then you're an idiot. You should be AOE healing - this is the counter.

Adding a target cap to AOE destroys the abilities completely. If I wanted to play a game that did this, I would still be playing WoW or GW2.
  • Azula
    Azula
    No
    Please stop hitting the game with a sledgehammer and take a scalpel to any AOE skills that are over performing.
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes an there should be an AOE cap, but 6 is too small at least raise to 10
    And some skill need to be nerfed ... vampire ...
    Ah and complaining because there will be zerg ?
    It's already the case 3 zerg taking fort and never confronting themself.
    When want to roam ther is less and less player roaming.

And it's not an AOE nerf it's a debug, it was intended to be like at at the beggining.
  • Razeo
    Razeo
    No
    Zolyok wrote: »

And it's not an AOE nerf it's a debug, it was intended to be like at at the beggining.

Please refrain from posting ever again.
  • cepp
    cepp
    No
    I really can't belive this. Looks like people behind games don't know how they should be played. Hire some experienced guy from DAOC and stop with the aoe limit crap.

Only competitive games last years and this change will ruin the competition.
    Zerg is not competitive, is for dumb people.
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not voting as you didn't include a maybe and you have rather jumped to conclusions I feel - it states that they are changing something where UNLIMITED characters could be affected - what it doesn't say is that they are reducing anything that wasn't intended to be unlimited

Consider for a second the potential lag caused by every healer casting a spell that affected every single ally in the zone - and the outcome that could have on the server

I didn't put a maybe because it is a yes or no question. Either you want a hardline AoE cap across every ability like they are proposing, or you don't. If you read my post, you'd see I am in favor of balancing abilities that are out of hand. Not wanting an AoE cap does not mean I am ignoring glaring balance issues.

Also, how can you say I am jumping or rushing to conclusions? I played GW2 for 2 years. I have well over 2200 hours just spent in RvR in that game. There was an AoE cap of 5 players max across every single ability. It was horrible. There are no hasty generalizations here, simply indisputable facts that this change, if carried out, will absolutely gut the PvP. That's not an exaggeration. Any hope for this game's PvP will be gone.

The developers are lying when they say that there were "unintended bugs where skills were hitting unlimited targets". There was never an AoE cap in this game and skills were never limited on how many players they could hit. Stop being fooled by what the developers are avoiding telling you. Don't be a sheep.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    @RivenEsq
  • Troma
    Troma
    No
    Riven, what about the technic i speak about? it worked like a charm for Dota 2 fanbase, even become a "Volvo" (Valve) meme.

We must stand up against this **** !
    Edited by Troma on April 26, 2014 8:28AM
    former gw2 Vizunah RvR alliance leader
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Zolyok wrote: »

A. Your entire first paragraph is difficult to understand and also horridly wrong.

B. It is not a bug. This game has never had AoE caps since Alpha, through the betas, and into launch. Stop being a zombie and blindly following what the developers are blatantly lying to you about.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    @RivenEsq
This discussion has been closed.