The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why can't Argonians breath underwater?

Brozgar
Brozgar
Hello there!

I'm just wondering, why can't Argonians breath underwater? It always was their racial skill, wasn't it? And I don't think it would make them OP in any way. I don't know if there would be underwater breathing potions (can't remember how they were called) and underwater quests, but it would be nice. For example, there could be even an underwater dungeon.

50% swimming speed bonus is kinda telling that Zenimax Online kept in mind that Argonians are "water-friendly", but they are reptiles, afterall. When you think of a crocodile, you don't think about how fast it is, but you think that it can attack you from underwater...
Edited by Brozgar on March 31, 2014 2:33AM
  • CheesyDaedra
    CheesyDaedra
    ✭✭✭
    There really aren't many uses for water and I don't think the devs will work to let us swim underwater.
    Do you mind? I'm busy doing the fishstick, it's a very delicate state of mind.
  • Brozgar
    Brozgar
    Yeah, but there are not many uses for swimming 50% faster neither... I wouldn't put it in a priority list, of course, I'm just curious.
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swimming is pointless Slaughter fish get me every time, and while I have heard rumours that an Argonian with all 3 levels can swim fast enough to get round some of the rivers in Cyrodiil I have never seen it work.
    Personally I like the idea of a passive benefit to swim faster the problem is it needs to be a freebie right now Argonian specials are the worst although the Dev's did say they would be improved in the future have to wait and see on that.
  • YuccaPalm
    YuccaPalm
    ✭✭✭
    15% pot effectiveness is the main reason to get this passive which is pretty good just like the 6% more heal (if you play with heal spells).
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason Argonians don't have waterbreathing in this game is because there's no underwater content.

In general Argonians seem pretty gimped in terms of racials. Almost no stat or regen boosting effects except a tiny +3% health.
  • Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    The reason Argonians don't have waterbreathing in this game is because there's no underwater content.

That's the big reason right there. If in the future underwater content is added then this would be a legitimate concern. And I seriously hope that they do add underwater stuff.
    Edited by Aureli on April 1, 2014 10:21AM
  • Captainkrunch96
    Captainkrunch96
    ✭✭✭
    There is no underwater content, so they cant swim underwater if they tried. I hope they don't do it and make stupid underwater combat(guild wars style), it just doesn't fit TES to me. though underwater lootable shipwrecks could be cool
    Edited by Captainkrunch96 on April 1, 2014 11:02AM
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    YuccaPalm wrote: »
    15% pot effectiveness is the main reason to get this passive which is pretty good just like the 6% more heal (if you play with heal spells).

^ This. Apparently, Alchemy is already really awesome when you get the hang of it. Putting a +15% on top of that is pretty gravy. Either way, for me, I'm always a sucker for more mobility, no matter how it plays out. So, I like the bonuses to swimming. I like that I know that not even water will mess up my stride. It helps me get in a zone :shrug:
  • xWHALESHARKx
    xWHALESHARKx
    ✭✭
    Actually super glad I didn't pick Argonian right now (had been considering it based on underwater breathing abilities)
    We may not be big, but we're small.

Thunder-Perfect-Mind
    Imperial Nightblade
    Aldmeri Dominion
    NA Megaserver
  • Tamisan
    Tamisan
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game does not match up 100% with the racial abilities of other TES games. Perhaps 1000 years before the other games, Argonians had not developed the ability, yet? Or they suffered a rampant illness which prevented them from breathing beneath the surface? I could come up with 99 different in-game reasons. The real-world reason is game balance, of course.
    I know now what I was born to do.
    ―Martin Septim
  • Golduck
    Golduck
    -1 Worst attribute for a race ever.
  • KrytoKFR
    KrytoKFR
    Brozgar wrote: »
    When you think of a crocodile, you don't think about how fast it is, but you think that it can attack you from underwater...

As to the fact that reptiles dont actually breath water, they are simply holding there breath... And when I think of Croc's!!! massive garbage disposal with teeth...

As I have not looked at the Argonians I wounder if they still have their disease resistance? As they are reptiles this make sense to me.
    Noble Nord, Remember these words of the Hoar Farther - To kill in glorious war is to honor oneself. To die in glorious war is to honor all of Skyrim.
  • PixelNo1
    PixelNo1
    ✭✭
    Cant believe they changed this for me it was one of the main reasons for picking a Argonian in previous games, Lets hope they add this feature further down the line obviously with some underwater content.
  • Brozgar
    Brozgar
    KrytoKFR wrote: »
    As to the fact that reptiles dont actually breath water, they are simply holding there breath... And when I think of Croc's!!! massive garbage disposal with teeth...

Yeah, it was a bad example. Crocodiles can hold their breath underwater up to 30 minutes though, if I'm not mistaking.

Edited by Brozgar on April 2, 2014 1:06PM
  • cfritch577
    I don't mind the lack of underwater breathing or attacks underwater. However, why is it that I can't just kill slaughterfish?

I mean, I can kill daedra from Oblivion, necromancers, the undead, and even frogs. Why can't I kill the damn fish? I mean, I can go fishing in the same waters and slaughterfish don't bite!

The perk would be more valuable (as in not completely pointless) if it also added on something like that Argonians are immune or receive a 50% resistance to slaughterfish attacks? That would make it valuable in Cyrodil during PvP contexts (which are a huge part of the game). I think it would be nice to be able to utilize the ability to either lead a water assault, sneaky or otherwise, and as a last ditch effort to escape combat. I feel that would be fairly typical Argonian behavior and it would make their race more viable in PvP.
  • swmccubbinb14_ESO
    swmccubbinb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    AshTal wrote: »
    Swimming is pointless Slaughter fish get me every time, and while I have heard rumours that an Argonian with all 3 levels can swim fast enough to get round some of the rivers in Cyrodiil I have never seen it work.
    Personally I like the idea of a passive benefit to swim faster the problem is it needs to be a freebie right now Argonian specials are the worst although the Dev's did say they would be improved in the future have to wait and see on that.

Its 50% swim speed at all 3 levels...it never changes

• Daknar
    Daknar
    Soul Shriven
    Maybe in the future there will be a way to swim around obstacles or to take a shorter route into a place. Kind of how the intimidate and persuade skills save you from having to pay money. If you can't swim around, you have to buy a key to open a door for example. I know...that's really reaching, but of the few times I've had to swim to an island, it just doesn't justify a race selection that can swim faster.
  • hurricane198
    @brozgar theres no underwater content for as far as i know, im not sure if its a future plan but eso is big enough as it is now
    When we talk, we tell what we know, when we listen we learn something new
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only benefits to the Argonian specials are they wont hit any soft or hard caps and least we have points to spend else where as we wont be spending them on our racials.
  • Neutronium_Dragon
    Neutronium_Dragon
    ✭✭✭
    The 50% speed boost while swimming is a convenience feature in quest zones, especially those laden with a lot of lakes and rivers (Shadowfen being an obvious one).
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can breathe underwater... youve just never seen us do it.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they don't . . . make stupid underwater combat(guild wars style), it just doesn't fit TES to me. l

Spoken like someone who never fought swarms of dreugh in Morrowind.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spoken like someone who never fought swarms of dreugh in Morrowind.
    Or did the 'kill the slaughterfish in this lake for me, PLEASE!' quest in Oblivion.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Underwater combat sucks. Sorry.

Nothing like being constantly discombobulated and turned around because that third axis is annoying.

There was a reason Blizzard scrapped the Abyssal Maw raid. Large hatred of underwater combat was one of them.
  • cfritch577
    Ok, fine. Underwater combat is stupid. But why can't I swim in a river in Cyrodil without dying? Especially when faster swimming is a skill line for Argonians?
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cfritch577 wrote: »
    Ok, fine. Underwater combat is stupid. But why can't I swim in a river in Cyrodil without dying? Especially when faster swimming is a skill line for Argonians?

There are many points where you can cross slaughterfish-infested rivers thanks to Argonian swimming speed.

• Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    Did't read all the posts, apologies if it's been mentioned.

In regards to the swimspeed increase, it really does have its benefits. The increase in speed has let me outswim my teammates who were travelling on land next to the water I was swimming in.

I can also confirm that it IS possible to cross rivers with slaughterfish in cyrodiil with it. Effectively allowing a squad of argonian players to create flank attacks near water. I was even able to swim to the Island part where the imperial city is. Unfortunately, I couldn't get beyond the little platform of dirt around the cliffwalls because of invisible walls.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Underwater combat sucks. Sorry.

Nothing like being constantly discombobulated and turned around because that third axis is annoying.

There was a reason Blizzard scrapped the Abyssal Maw raid. Large hatred of underwater combat was one of them.

I love having 3d combat. Nothing wrong with it. If you dont like it, it does not mean others wouldnt. Personally, i would like a shot at killling those pesky slaughter fish.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love having 3d combat. Nothing wrong with it. If you dont like it, it does not mean others wouldnt. Personally, i would like a shot at killling those pesky slaughter fish.
    Did that in Oblivion, was really boring.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nocifer Deathblade
    I am surprised when I first played ESO and I was not even able to dive in water to swim underwater at all. It reminds me of Lord of the Ring Online (LOTRO) that never ever added underwater content and it's old game now. Dragon and Dungeon Online and EverQuest series have underwater contents and they ALL are fun! I hope that ESO will open up underwater content SOON or they never will just like LOTRO's empty promises.
    Nocifer Deathblade,The Imperial Dragon Knight
    The Ebonheart Pact Alliance