The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New threads with same topic vs Post Necromancy

Ysbriel
Ysbriel
✭✭✭✭✭
Every time I look up something on a search engine about this game that might be something that is currently happening, posts from way over a year appear but some of them do have more recent replies. In between the constructive comments and the common thread battles I notice that there is always that special kind of person who wants to come out and say "Necro post" and meme it up. So what is it? do we need to keep opening threads on the same topics? because I've also noticed that people attack people who do that. So once again, what is the course of action as a community to answer and provide feedback to recurrent questions and topics that can be traced back to the Merethic Era?
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a matter of perspective.

For me, any post over a year old, given the frequency of changes, is an unnecessary necro.

For some, anything over a month old is a necro.

Unfortunately there's no standard. My advice is to create a new thread if the ones you find are 6 months or older, then ignore both those who call it a necro, and those that say "use forum search".
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends.
    If someone tries to revive a thread by being a troll or asking a question that probably won't be answered... then that's just as bad if someone had posted "bump" to take an old thread back to the top.

Either way..... people complaining about "necro posts" are just as pitiful as the poor soul that necro'ed. Obnoxious.

Personally, I'd prefer if people didn't open new threads and instead responded to an old post of the same topic. Keep all the info in the same place.
    But even I have fallen prey to not wanting to be accused of "necro'ing". Plus... sometimes it's just more fun to create your own thread.

Did I mention I'm a Libra so I tend to be indecisive and can't help but to empathize with both sides of a situation? Rofl.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Forum rules are pretty clear. Reviving threads a couple of weeks old or so are a no-no because it can give out of date information, and it will be closed with action taken against the user who revived it (usually a warning).

Just start a new thread ffs.
    Edited by MattT1988 on November 19, 2019 6:46AM
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really this is a failing of the forums. Threads should autolock after 1 month of no new activity has passed. It's pretty annoying as a forum dweller to start posting in a thread, only to realize the guy before you necrod a 2016 thread with reckless abandon. I always report these people immediately to get the thread locked - but reality is it should be a default feature of the forums.

If by "that special kind of person" you mean "people who actually want to follow the forum rules" then yes, we exist.

People get attaked for making new topics that are the same discussions as others ongoing in current time - not for making "new" threads we haven't seen in over a year. There's no reason for old topics to be open. Conversely there's no reason to make topics if one on the same matter is currently ongoing. If nobody's talked about it recently, fair game, if you have 5 topics of the same subject matter on page 1, we really don't need another. Simple enough to understand.

It's really simple... don't revive old topics, make your own - but don't make you own if the same topic is already being discussed in present time....
    Edited by lagrue on November 19, 2019 7:36AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always find it a little strange when someone revives months or years old topic. I don’t really go past the first couple pages.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always find it a little strange when someone revives months or years old topic. I don’t really go past the first couple pages.

I naturally assume they find those threads from Google, rather than browsing the forums. They type a complaint in google and click the first link that comes up and just post at will.
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysbriel wrote: »
    So once again, what is the course of action as a community to answer and provide feedback to recurrent questions and topics that can be traced back to the Merethic Era?

Depends. Due to patches and changes old post might spread more disinformation then information. A wiki would be the better place for certain informations.

Posts about lore, quests and other topics that dont change or get patched could be reused without calling them necro posts. But, as in life, many people insist on their rituals. In this case the forum necro post ritual. :)
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancy is illegal.
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think of the kids that post "necro post" followed by linking the name of a dev, as the hall monitors of our forums. The only joy they get is in telling on people or posts as it were.
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But on the other hand, so called Necro posting can be useful. ESO more than any other game has bugs that have been the same two three or even four years ago. So it shouldn't be an automatic close imo.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But on the other hand, so called Necro posting can be useful. ESO more than any other game has bugs that have been the same two three or even four years ago. So it shouldn't be an automatic close imo.

In that case you make your own original post, but also add a link to the ancient topic and say: "See this problem existed 3 years ago." You shouldn't post in the old thread. It is best internet etiquette.
    Edited by lagrue on November 19, 2019 9:34AM
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it depends.

Sometimes, discussions can be out of date within weeks, if they deal with game mechanics that have since been changed in a more recent update.

Other times, discussions can still be valid after years, if they deal with lore issues, or game suggestions that have never been implemented yet, and then it can be a good idea to see what other people posted before, as to not play "hamster wheel" with the same points over and over again.

Of course, sometimes ZOS does lock old threads - but then the people who want to continue the discussion can simply start a new one that links to the old one as well, then people can look up what was said there while continuing the discussion in the new thread, adding new points and taking note of any new developments in the game...
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything created in any patch then this is necro.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    New tread (every time)
    ZOS never want to be reminded that the issue/topic is 6 years old and still unaddressed :grin:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Leave forum moderation to the moderators. That's what they get paid for.
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it’s a case of...Search forum for an old post and read through it for an Answer...if questions are still not answered/outdated info....Make a new Post.