Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Which race (culture) do you think is still under-represented the most?

• kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    Bretons got very stereotypical fantasy content, which is easily forgettable. We got glimpses of their chivalry traditions, we meet only two of their many knightly orders (we can't join any, or get a title, like Knight of the Flame), and we got mostly shallow lore. TES2 Daggerfall had more Breton stuff than ESO!

2nd race would be Imperial. In this game the imperials are portrayed as evil daedra worshipers. Senchal did some justice to the imperials, showing that not all imperials are evil or corrupt. I hope to see more content like this, I would like to see the imperials working together with the other races to rebuild.

3rd race for me is Nord. They are portrayed as dumb drunkards, or just idiots. For example, there is a quest in Riften where you need to drink 10 mugs of mead, and after you empty that keg, you have to drink even more mead, to get very drunk. While very drunk you have to sing a song and get the rhymes right. This quest pretty much sums up the Nords in this game, which is sad. We all get it... nords like mead...
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard
    Redguard or Breton. But I'd say redguard is the winner.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Breton have 3,5 zones. Glebumbra, wayrest, rivenspire and half of bankorai. Explain me how are they under presented?
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord
    Which culture do I want more of? Highelf

which do i think is under represented? nord, imperial
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord
    Breton have 3,5 zones. Glebumbra, wayrest, rivenspire and half of bankorai. Explain me how are they under presented?

there not there just boring lol
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton culture was set back in Daggerfall.
    same with Redguards and I think Nords.
    Assume they just went with Breton are central Europe , Redguard is Arab and Nords Viking.

Lore also described lots about the other races in Daggerfall
    However some part like Khajiit architecture was just set to be south east Asia in ESO.
    Think that worked out well but i and many are underwhelmed by Altmer architecture.

Orc, Argonian and Imperial is the less represented one geographically.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    Lyserus wrote: »
    Let's focus on the main playable 10 races, so I will not add other or other major races to the poll (and we can only have 10 options)

Which race do you think ESO can explore more on? What culture is the least exciting or unique in your taste and in need of expansion?

Me personally feel like breton is lacking the most. Sure they are cool half elf and all, but they are represented in the game as your most classic western medieval culture, and the worst thing is their territory is mostly filled up, yet unlike bosmer who has the same problem, their culture is not illustrated well in vanilla (while bosmeri culture is quite special in vanilla)

Well I would say men races as a whole are less exciting compare to mer races and beastfolk, but imperial got ES4 and imperial city (and really the empire itself is the lore of imperials), nord got ES5 and upcoming skyrim (althogh I feel like vanilla ESO portraited their culture poorly), and redguard culture was did quite well in vanilla and craglorn, so bretons got the worst of it

I would tentatively agree, Breton. Or perhaps Imperial.

Although I will say again and everywhere the opportunity arises, we do NOT need more story/race based content per se, as in your Mirkmire, Elswyr etc... what we NEED as a 2nd Craglorn.

Because of the unique nature of Craglorn and its function as a hub for trials and group play, I think the next group play area should share the same zone chat - we do not want the pool of players searching for groups/players to be diluted. But we do need more group content and very importantly, more difficult content - it tend to be a little more difficult in Craglorn which is most welcome.
    Edited by Grianasteri on November 19, 2019 4:17PM
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard

there not there just boring lol

Bland potato-heads, the lot of them (okay, maybe not Darien, but does he really count)?
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian
    Of the choices presented, I would think argonians, closely followed by orsimer.

Argonians -still- have so lot of history left ondiscovered... still have so much of black marsh to filled in... there is a lot of potential there.

Orcs also get the short end of the stick in many regards, although they -are- often involved "en passant" in other covenant zones, so there is that...
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    Dunmer
    Starter Zones: 0
    Base Game Zones: 2
    DLC Zones: 0
    Chapter Zones: 1

Stonefalls
    Deshaan
    Vvardenfell

Argonian
    Starter Zones: 1
    Base Game Zones: 1
    DLC Zones: 1
    Chapter Zones: 0

Bal Foyen
    Shadowfen
    Murkmire
    Bal Foyen is a dunmer region with one argonian settlement - so it at the very least needs to be counted half-half...
    Just sayin. ;)

Of course, -outside- the presented choices there are a LOT of cultures that never were properly covered due to not being part of "Tamriel proper" or other reasons - Maormer, Akaviri, Sloads, Imga, Lilmothiit, etc. Some of them might even be suitable as crown store PC race...
    Of course, been there, posted that: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/422285/new-player-race-possibilities/p1 ;)
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Imperials are shown in ESO like god knows who.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Argonians -still- have so lot of history left ondiscovered... still have so much of black marsh to filled in... there is a lot of potential there.

Orcs also get the short end of the stick in many regards, although they -are- often involved "en passant" in other covenant zones, so there is that...
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    Dunmer
    Starter Zones: 0
    Base Game Zones: 2
    DLC Zones: 0
    Chapter Zones: 1

Stonefalls
    Deshaan
    Vvardenfell

Argonian
    Starter Zones: 1
    Base Game Zones: 1
    DLC Zones: 1
    Chapter Zones: 0

Bal Foyen
    Shadowfen
    Murkmire
    Bal Foyen is a dunmer region with one argonian settlement - so it at the very least needs to be counted half-half...
    Just sayin. ;)

Of course, -outside- the presented choices there are a LOT of cultures that never were properly covered due to not being part of "Tamriel proper" or other reasons - Maormer, Akaviri, Sloads, Imga, Lilmothiit, etc. Some of them might even be suitable as crown store PC race...
    Of course, been there, posted that: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/422285/new-player-race-possibilities/p1 ;)
    Bal Foyen is primarly Argonian, however the main city is not Argonian. A bit like Greenshade for Bosmer.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow Elves (Falmer), obviously

Edited by DTStormfox on November 19, 2019 10:36AM
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial

I think The biggest problem with that is the lore that says parts of blackmarsh are so wild that its largly unexplored to non Argonians.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian
    zaria wrote: »
    Bal Foyen is primarly Argonian, however the main city is not Argonian. A bit like Greenshade for Bosmer.
    Except that greenshade was the other way around.

In Greenshade, the region is part of the bosmer Valenwood, was originally bosmer-settled, and the altmer later built cities, first as unsuccessful attempt to subjugate the bosmer, which later turned into a proper partnership with the formation of the dominion (some bumps included).

Yet in Bal Foyen, the region was part of Morrowind, originally dunmer-settled, centuries under dres control where the argonians were kept as slaves to work the fields, overseen by the dunmer slaveholders in Fort Zeren... and only after the formation of the pact were the argonians granted freedom (and we know it won't last from the lore).

I count that as half-half region at this point in time! ;)

And if you want to count the settlements per se... argonians one, dunmer two (fort and docks).
    DTStormfox wrote: »
    Snow Elves (Falmer), obviously
    There are several other "long gone" races as well that are far less well represented in archeology compared to dwemer or ayleids. Sinistral elves come to mind, or the long extinct birdmen of cyrodil... even for atmorans and yokudans, nedes and chimer we have only little as to portray how they changed not only in race, but also in culture over the times...
    kaisernick wrote: »
    I think The biggest problem with that is the lore that says parts of blackmarsh are so wild that its largly unexplored to non Argonians.
    ...and you -really- think that would stop any player character vestiges? ;)
    Although, it -would- be interesting to have a "wild" region, where wayshrines are rare, and you cannot find a crafting station or vendor around the corner... maybe a little vexing too, but interesting!
    Still, we only got murkmire before the current Elsweyr theme, so I reckon it will be some time doing other corners before they get back to marshing around much... on the other hand, it would make sense for them to cover imperial remnant regions in nibenay or blackwood soon, and they do border there, so... who knows?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Seen enough about Bretons to know I don't really want to see any more. Good job their territory is all used up already.

Imperials are at the centre of this world, but they are hugely underrepresented in this game. There has been no imperial home zone, unlike all the other races. There are large areas of Imperial territory that haven't even had a mention. Eons of Imperial lore and history not explored. What a waste.

PC EU
  • JusticeForJilarga
    JusticeForJilarga
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiit
    There can never be too much Khajiit.
    Leader Of The Children Of Razum Dar Guild (Khajiit Guild) on All 6 MegaServers

Khajiit Quote Of The Day.
    "These useless senche could only kill a rat if they fell upon it. From a great height."
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bretons really need a deeper story and lore exploration, but I agree with the comments about Imperials too, I'd really love to have a PvE Cyrodiil to explore and quest in. And poor Nords, I agree with the 'Skyrim lite' comments, it's just snow and 'hurr durr mead' tropes, many of the quests there involve drinking and fighting, and drinking. But I'll never turn down more cats...
    PC EU & NA
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Argonian
    I mean looking at the map, we can see Argonians are pretty neglected
  • chuck-18_ESO
    chuck-18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Easily Imperials.

In ESO, the unique blend of Colovian and Nibenese cultural influences that made Imperials stand out have been abandoned, and Imperials have been reduced to generic fantasy Romans. They're constantly forced into the role of the bad guys (though, credit where it's due, Prefect Cato and General Renmus were refreshing changes to that trend). The only two zones themed after them are either pvp-themed or guild-themed, giving the Imperials almost no story content and leaving them, as a people, effectively in limbo. They're massively under-represented as a people.

...and they STILL haven't made any Imperial furnishing plans lootable.
    The Exclusionary Mandates of Maruhkite Selection: All Are Equal

1: That the Supreme Spirit Akatosh is of unitary essence, as proven by the monolinearity of Time.
    1: That Shezarr the missing sibling is Singularly Misplaced and therefore Doubly Venerated.
    1: That the protean substrate that informs all denial of (1) is the Aldmeri Taint.
    1: That the Prophet Most Simian demonstrated that monothought begets Proper-Life.
    1: That the purpose of Proper-Life is the Expungement of the Taint.
    1: That the Arc of Time provides the mortal theater for the Sacred Expungement.
    1: That Akatosh is Time is Proper-Life is Taint-Death.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton
    Breton have had no content since launch.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    I'd want Jehanna added as a real city in northern highrock (still missing a slice of land bordering Orsinium.)
    Also, where's is Lainlyn? And most importantly, where's Balfiera island? :)

EDIT: Apparently, according to UESP -> (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Lainlyn) the city of Lainlyn is Tava's Blessing at the time of ESO, or at least that what they've said in some AMA according to the sources of the article... so there goes any chance of having a cool extra city :cry:

Still, Jehanna is just a dock in Orsinium... there has to be more to it than that :confused:
    Edited by leeux on November 19, 2019 12:54PM
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Imperials feel like an after-thought in some ways.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a tough one. The Dunmer, Argonians, Redguards and Nords have a lot of room left to expand into and in case of the Dunmer, Redguards and Argonians, these territories and people living there have never been seen before.

However if we are talking about underrepresentation, then perhaps we should look at the seemingly overrepresented races that haven't been done justice yet or have no room left to expand into. Think about it. We will never see another Altmer, Bosmer, Breton or Orsimer zone, simply because there is no room left on the map to fill in. So unless we get reworks of zones or the map isn't accurate and hides Altmer, Bosmer and Breton zones we are not aware of (similarly how the city of Blacklight is currently covered up on the map despite being there), these races are forever stuck with the representation they got so far. That's kind of an issue. Especially if we consider that not all zones are of equal quality. The chapters do a much better job of representing a culture than regular zones.

So in terms of actual current represenation it's Orcs and Argonians.
    But if we consider growth potential then it's more like Orcs, Bretons and Bosmer (because Argonians, Altmer, Nords, Redguards and Dunmer have or can still get chapters of their own).
    Edited by Ratzkifal on November 19, 2019 1:18PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton
    My main switched from Inperial to Breton because I heal. :)

As we received expansions on Argonians and Khajiit and elves, I realized one day as I wandered through the zones, feeling as though I was always a stranger in a strange land, that I actually FORGOT that I am a playable race that is supposed to have lore!!! I think of myself as a soulless, one-of-a-kind, EP vestige.

This is how little I identify with Bretons despite having played one for many years now. And this definitely is because there is so little content where you are immersed in Breton specific ways or views or styles so you get that "hey these are my peeps" feeling.

Imperial is runner up imo for the reason folks already describe... not enough stories in the PVP zones for them.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Fortunatto
    Fortunatto
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Imperials, hands down. Redguards - just a little after them.But not the bretons - bretons currently have four zones - a biggest number of zones for single race in base game. So calling them "underrepresented" would be quite unfair, tbh.
    Personally I would like to see a whole Imperial chapter, a redguard one and Falinesti - as a biggest mystery from base game that has not been revealed like...ever.
    Edited by Fortunatto on November 21, 2019 11:10PM
    | Immortal Redeemer | Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Tick-Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart | Unchained | Dawnbringer | Godslayer | PC EU
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has favoured Bretons through all the elder scrolls games I’d definitely love to see more content on the Bretons 😊
  • Najarati
    Najarati
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial
    I was always disappointed with how ESO forced Imperials into the role of villain when previous games made them far less one-dimensional. In fact, I recall the Imperials being depicted in the traditional Elder Scrolls games as something of a stabilizing force with a very cosmopolitan way of life, which I found interesting. Giving Imperials their own, fleshed-out zone and story lines could go a long way towards making them more nuanced and less like cardboard "we should have joined the Daedra a long time ago" bad guys.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Imperials, for all the reasons voiced by the other posts about them above. Sorry, not feeling too great, so not even going to try quoting everyone!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a way to get a second shot at lore depth and societal complexity, even for Bretons and Bosmer...
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    There is a way to get a second shot at lore depth and societal complexity, even for Bretons and Bosmer...

Yeah. But until they give back Stealth to Bosmer, well.... Speaking of totally blowing lore....