Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is ZOS trying to place the blame on Sony for the recent blue screen situation on PS4?

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    I rarely got blue screens before Dragonhold DLC.

Now they're pretty regular, even worse in Southern Elsweyr.

But they're all over bad. Today I blue screened while simply shopping at a trader.

I was fine before the update. This isn't my console.

This right here, I had maybe 3 blue screens in a year before Dragonhold, all of a sudden I get three an hour and I'm supposed to believe it's my hardware and not the broken update they released?

Nobody said it was your hardware - I said it was game optimization and you took that as an attack on hardware, no my fault you don't read in context. I put a reply for you on page 1 :)
    Edited by lagrue on November 18, 2019 11:19AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over 🎶

tumblr_n2q352EqFu1r6ov5fo1_500.gif
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »
    itscompton wrote: »

But they're all over bad. Today I blue screened while simply shopping at a trader.

This right here, I had maybe 3 blue screens in a year before Dragonhold, all of a sudden I get three an hour and I'm supposed to believe it's my hardware and not the broken update they released?

Nobody said it was your hardware - learn to read. I put a reply for you on page 1 :)

Lol, What? your post clearly states: Most GPUs, be it in PC or PS4 or whatever else, will hard crash when overloaded.

The CPU and GPU are being taxed beyond what they should be. When CPU or GPU are choked, the machine is bound to crash.

How is that not placing blame on the hardware? It wasn't too much for my PS4 Pro two weeks ago but it is now? And this despite that patch notes telling us that once again they've reduced the amount of effects we see from others to reduce such strain:
    "In efforts to improve performance, the visual effects from some player abilities have been updated. These changes focus on which players can see specific parts of a visual effect, and when the visual effects should be removed from view. This is an ongoing process that will be maintained over time. Note that the caster of these abilities will not see much change, if any, while allies will see much less of the visual intensity."

A much more likely reason this is happening all of a sudden can be found in those same Dragonhold patch notes:

Memory Management Overhaul
    "In this update, we’ve implemented a new memory pooling system to reduce memory fragmentation. This fundamentally changes how we handle memory use in ESO, and will improve your experience by significantly reducing the chance of crashing from running out of memory. You may also notice a minor FPS improvement due to a reduction of load in peak memory use situations, such as when lots of other players or effects are in an area."

They screwed up the coding for the new memory management system pretty obviously. The game is not all of a sudden overloading the GPU or CPU.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not experience regular ps4 blue screens until dragonhold patch
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its obvious, sony san is the bigger derp.

I'm a ps fanboy, but eso was next to a turn base game, when playing on the ps4.

In sony's defense, I do have the fat ps4, just saying.

but playing eso in pc, damn, heaven and earth, I tell you.

at least its not heaven and hell, right?
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its obvious, sony san is the bigger derp.

I'm a ps fanboy, but eso was next to a turn base game, when playing on the ps4.

In sony's defense, I do have the fat ps4, just saying.

but playing eso in pc, damn, heaven and earth, I tell you.

at least its not heaven and hell, right?

It’s not Sony’s problem that ESO’s developers have not properly optimized this game for current gen consoles. If a developer can’t guarantee stable gameplay because they’re either unable or unprepared to optimize their code for console, then the onus is on THEM to either outsource and fix their code, or drop support for console altogether. Square Enix seems to have no trouble optimizing FF for PS4... Perhaps ZOS’s devs need to take a few pointers from them before trying to support an MMO on console again?
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    It’s sad to see such a great game in the hands of people who don’t know what they’re doing with it.

Real talk.

And we cannot leave this AWESOME game ... so they think its their good work keeping us here =)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    @IDK yes, I tried all the steps. Doesn't work. Just the existence of a generic help article like that is showing me that ZOS doesn't care who is at fault. Everyone, and I mean everyone who plays on PS4 has the same problem, many times a day. So you're saying that everyone's console is malfunctioning? Give me a break.

So are you saying that you did submit a tech support and all Zos techies would do is provide that generic article and nothing else?

Yes, they probably did. That may be all that the USER can do. The alternative is to suggest that blue might be a good choice for a new favorite color. :smile:

An internal response is not indicated by this studio, so the response will either be nothing, or whatever Sony suggests in cases like this.

Both ZOS and Sony know that the problem is with ESO. I am pretty sure of that. Whether they will fix it... that is a better line of discussion.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IDK yes, I tried all the steps. Doesn't work. Just the existence of a generic help article like that is showing me that ZOS doesn't care who is at fault. Everyone, and I mean everyone who plays on PS4 has the same problem, many times a day. So you're saying that everyone's console is malfunctioning? Give me a break.

So are you saying that you did submit a tech support and all Zos techies would do is provide that generic article and nothing else?

Yes, they probably did. That may be all that the USER can do. The alternative is to suggest that blue might be a good choice for a new favorite color. :smile:

An internal response is not indicated by this studio, so the response will either be nothing, or whatever Sony suggests in cases like this.

Both ZOS and Sony know that the problem is with ESO. I am pretty sure of that. Whether they will fix it... that is a better line of discussion.

Could be but it is all speculation. You even admit that by suggesting you are sure both Sony and Zos know the problem is with ESO.

I expect the OP will answer the question later in the day about their ticket.
    Edited by idk on November 18, 2019 1:30PM
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people who buy consoles fail to understand the nature of a console's hardware.

It is no different than a PC.
    It is technically budget hardware.
    It almost always has insufficient cooling compared to PCs.

Hardware faults in consoles happen way more often than people think. People ignore them because of course their expensive purchase cant be made of garbage parts... but the reality is it is a mass manufactured device made as cheaply as possible and it has a very narrow planned lifespan.

Is this ZOSs fault? Nope. Is it Sonys fault? Oddly enough not really.

It's just the nature of hardware that if you push it at 100% with poor cooling it will degrade.

Without having your console in hand there aren't many ways people on a forum can determine if it's actually software or simple old degraded hardware. It COULD be a code issue.. but it could equally just be that your console's memory is baking itself and throwing out random errors because of it.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people who buy consoles fail to understand the nature of a console's hardware.

Hardware faults in consoles happen way more often than people think. People ignore them because of course their expensive purchase cant be made of garbage parts... but the reality is it is a mass manufactured device made as cheaply as possible and it has a very narrow planned lifespan.

It's just the nature of hardware that if you push it at 100% with poor cooling it will degrade.

Without having your console in hand there aren't many ways people on a forum can determine if it's actually software or simple old degraded hardware. It COULD be a code issue.. but it could equally just be that your console's memory is baking itself and throwing out random errors because of it.

Condescending, much? I would be willing to place good money on the fact that the vast majority of console users understand that their consoles are basically budget gaming computers. We also understand that if ONE game in our entire library consistently crashes multiple times in a single session, and that these crashes have increased multifold after a particular update, the issue is most likely NOT OUR HARDWARE, but rather the inept developers who have not adequately tested the update before pushing it live.
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This "solution" was given to me by Bethesda support on twitter.

https://imgur.com/oySMVUO

@idk How many PS4 blue screens have you experienced since the patch?

@nafensoriel Please. My current PS4 Pro is one year old, its vent is to the outside, I've also got a cooling tray and I play in a cool room. It's not the hardware overheating /facepalm
    Edited by AgaTheGreat on November 18, 2019 1:43PM
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Exactly this. Cyro is worst, crashing regularly in battle now, but even overland wayshrines and traders are not safe from bluescreens anymore. This is all since the last patch, so the last patch really screwed the game on PS4.

Edited by BalticBlues on November 18, 2019 1:42PM
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

Condescending, much? I would be willing to place good money on the fact that the vast majority of console users understand that their consoles are basically budget gaming computers. We also understand that if ONE game in our entire library consistently crashes multiple times in a single session, and that these crashes have increased multifold after a particular update, the issue is most likely NOT OUR HARDWARE, but rather the inept developers who have not adequately tested the update before pushing it live.

Condescending? No. Realist? Yes.
    There is a fundamental difference between someone who spends 600 bucks to game and someone who spends 600 bucks to buy a console. The expectation is the console is top tier. When the new XBox releases people will be mad if PCs look better just like they've been mad about the exact same issue for past console releases.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that a PC user who buys a budget PC expects crap hardware that will degrade over time. A console user usually thinks it will not degrade and their 5-year-old console sitting in a dusty cabinet with poor ventilation isn't degraded. Everything becomes everyone else's issue... it couldn't POSSIBLY be that they abused their hardware now, could it?

And if you "understand one game causes issues" so it must be that game.. then no you really don't understand squat. You are comparing apples to bricks of iron. If all the other titles in your catalog do not stress the console the way the one that fails do you CANNOT AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME SOFTWARE FAILURE. As I have noted the PS4 has some serious bottleneck issues. Most developers can work around these... but games like ESO really push memory hard. What is one of the first parts to start dying when you abuse your console(or PC) and let it overheat regularly? Memory.

With everything people have said in this thread the chance that its software or hardware is 50/50. Sucks but welcome to consoles.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a fundamental difference between someone who spends 600 bucks to game and someone who spends 600 bucks to buy a console. The expectation is the console is top tier. When the new XBox releases people will be mad if PCs look better just like they've been mad about the exact same issue for past console releases.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that a PC user who buys a budget PC expects crap hardware that will degrade over time. A console user usually thinks it will not degrade and their 5-year-old console sitting in a dusty cabinet with poor ventilation isn't degraded. Everything becomes everyone else's issue... it couldn't POSSIBLY be that they abused their hardware now, could it?

And if you "understand one game causes issues" so it must be that game.. then no you really don't understand squat. You are comparing apples to bricks of iron. If all the other titles in your catalog do not stress the console the way the one that fails do you CANNOT AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME SOFTWARE FAILURE. As I have noted the PS4 has some serious bottleneck issues. Most developers can work around these... but games like ESO really push memory hard. What is one of the first parts to start dying when you abuse your console(or PC) and let it overheat regularly? Memory.

With everything people have said in this thread the chance that its software or hardware is 50/50. Sucks but welcome to consoles.

So every PS4 user experiencing these issues multifold after this latest update has possibly “abused” their console by letting it overheat. All of our other memory-intensive multiplayer games run well on our systems with minimal to no issues, but it’s possibly OUR fault that ESO specifically crashes upwards of five to six times per hour after the update — something that did not happen for us immediately prior to the update. Okay, gotcha. 👍
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So every PS4 user experiencing these issues multifold after this latest update has possibly “abused” their console by letting it overheat. All of our other memory-intensive multiplayer games run well on our systems with minimal to no issues, but it’s possibly OUR fault that ESO specifically crashes upwards of five to six times per hour after the update — something that did not happen for us immediately prior to the update. Okay, gotcha. 👍

Nope, not what I said. I said you cannot write off hardware errors. Especially considering a hardware level crash is usually either driver-based, OS based, or well hardware-based. A "blue screen" identifies a problem with the hardwares relation to the software or itself. This is different from a software triggered crash which would only exit the program.

Though yes it could be a systemic problem with the platform. It's old. Even a brand new PS4 is old.
    The game has evolved and grown since launch. Do you think they really limited that development for an old console soon to be replaced?

The fact is ESO currently abuses the PS4 and when you push hardware to its limit things tend to trigger errors. Could it be a memory leak making the problem worse? Certainly. Could it also be Sony changed something in the back end and it's causing issues when under high memory load? Yes. Could it be that the hardware is just dying because it can no longer handle the program running on it? Yes. All three are equally likely without more data.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A "blue screen" identifies a problem with the hardwares relation to the software or itself. This is different from a software triggered crash which would only exit the program.

Have you ever owned a PS4? When we colloquially refer to a “blue screen”, we’re referring to the report screen automatically generated after a game crashes that uses the PS4’s default blue UI. A PS4 “blue screen” is not the equivalent of a PC’s BSOD. When games crash on PS4, we simply file the report and start the game up again — as you do on PC when a software-triggered crash shuts down the game. We don’t have to reboot the PS4 itself.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe reinstalling Windows will fix the memory leak problem on PC as well. lmao
  • Crucified4sin
    Crucified4sin
    ✭✭✭
    Zos is to accept responsibility
    As pigs are to fly

🤔
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a handful of derailing comments that contained personal insults and baiting. This is a friendly reminder to remain on topic and constructive when posting.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Crucified4sin
    Crucified4sin
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_JesC wrote: »
    Greetings, we've removed a handful of derailing comments that contained personal insults and baiting. This is a friendly reminder to remain on topic and constructive when posting.

But didn't answer my mans question
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Have you ever owned a PS4? When we colloquially refer to a “blue screen”, we’re referring to the report screen automatically generated after a game crashes that uses the PS4’s default blue UI. A PS4 “blue screen” is not the equivalent of a PC’s BSOD. When games crash on PS4, we simply file the report and start the game up again — as you do on PC when a software-triggered crash shuts down the game. We don’t have to reboot the PS4 itself.

This ^^^

We aren't talking blue screen of death bricked system. We're talking the game shuts down and boots us back to desktop, basically. For PS4 users, the screen is blue with a generic error message and asks if we want to report the error or not. We then proceed from that screen to our desktop with the choice of launching ESO again.

And has done it with increased frequency since the last update. To basically every PS4 user I have talked to and in this thread. Small sample size, but I find it hard to believe we're all experiencing the exact same "hardware degradation" at the same time versus just maaaaaaybe something in ZOS's latest update isn't playing nice with our systems anymore.

Occam's Razor here.

Edited by DragonRacer on November 18, 2019 3:44PM
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    @Crucified4sin If you need assistance past the steps provided in the support article, you can contact our support team here: help.elderscrollsonline.com/app in a support ticket for additional troubleshooting from an agent.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysbriel wrote: »
    Point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over 🎶

tumblr_n2q352EqFu1r6ov5fo1_500.gif

Didn't expect to see a tool quote here haha
  • zamoramerida
    So, as part of their optimization plan they changed memory management in the game client. Instead of optimizing they made it worse. Game used to crash once every week, now crashes every hour of game play whenever there are more than 10 players around. Please roll back that memory change. And send your devs for training. Unsolicited advice: you need to have live testers in all platforms at this point you should know there is a problem in your game code, thus send and apology message and fix the problem or roll back that change.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Um.

Wow.

So, we're being ignored and the advice is for every single ESO PS4 user to basically reformat their console and re-download the game. Even though the pattern we ALL have in common is that this started to become a significant problem only after the Dragonhold update.

I'm at a loss for words.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_JesC wrote: »
    @Crucified4sin If you need assistance past the steps provided in the support article, you can contact our support team here: help.elderscrollsonline.com/app in a support ticket for additional troubleshooting from an agent.

giphy.gif
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well hopefully consoles will get a patch soon that fixes the memory management issue like PC did today.

From today's PC patch notes:
    The Elder Scrolls Online v5.2.9 fixes a common memory management issue particularly affecting higher population areas, in addition to a couple game crashes, quests, combat abilities, and more. The size of this patch is approximately 187MB.

Edited by TequilaFire on November 18, 2019 4:25PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be but it is all speculation. You even admit that by suggesting you are sure both Sony and Zos know the problem is with ESO.

I expect the OP will answer the question later in the day about their ticket.

Some of that is not speculation. Support needs to try to attempt to resolve the user's problem with tools and information that is currently available. That is why they hand out what Sony suggests in this situation. That is why they tell people to reboot the router, call their ISP, and all these other things that people make fun of.

The speculation is about what is happening in the backend, and whether ZOS and Sony feel the problem is ESO. Given that this started, or got worse, with the latest update, I would suggest that prudence suggests that it is. It is not the role of support to keep players up to date on the internal status. That is the way ZOS has defined this.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well hopefully consoles will get a patch soon that fixes the memory management issue like PC did today.

From today's PC patch notes:
    The Elder Scrolls Online v5.2.9 fixes a common memory management issue particularly affecting higher population areas, in addition to a couple game crashes, quests, combat abilities, and more. The size of this patch is approximately 187MB.

Hey wow, it's almost like I was totally right the whole time with my "lame excuse" about high populations and poor optimization eating up CPU or GPU memory. Thanks for posting this :) I'm pretty sure I should go get an IQ test because I just passed 138, easily.
    Edited by lagrue on November 18, 2019 8:47PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"