The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is ZOS trying to place the blame on Sony for the recent blue screen situation on PS4?

AgaTheGreat
AgaTheGreat
✭✭✭✭✭
According to the help article (that has been posted a week ago) here https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37022/kw
you have to either power off and on your console, reinstall the game, or factory reset your console. If all of the above don't work we have to contact Sony customer support.

So far there has been no official statement on blue screens besides this help article. So we are lead to believe that everyone who experiences constant blue screens should blame the console and its software.

Great.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can you please, please comment on what is going on. The entire playstation community has to put up with several blue screens daily and so far nothing has been said.

Edited by AgaTheGreat on November 18, 2019 12:19AM
PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next they will blame Sony for the server situation on XBOX.

S.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well to be fair that error is a generic crash error for all games, I wouldn't say they're blaming Sony. If you look up the error code on Sony's end it says the same thing, all ZOS did was copy paste.

You can definitely attribute it to the games themselves though. I can't name other games here as per rules, but there are titles out there that blue screen every hour like clockwork - and titles you can play 120 hours and never get blue screen.

I suspect the main issue here comes down to poor optimization of things like skill graphics, outfits, pets, mounts - anything with high graphical load. This game gets too dense at times. 100 players in one area spamming abilities is bound to choke the console's CPU and GPU. (as it does on many PCs as well, it's not just your console)

The effects in this game can be pretty demanding... this is why if you ever go near Alikr Dolmen during events you can also only see silhouettes of players, ground textures don't load etc.... once you have mass ability spam and player count in one area, you are going beyond what most computers can display effectively onscreen. Most GPUs, be it in PC or PS4 or whatever else, will hard crash when overloaded.

The CPU and GPU are being taxed beyond what they should be. When CPU or GPU are choked, the machine is bound to crash. Optimization of effects, outfits, etc. would all go a long way, but that's a pipe dream.
    Edited by lagrue on November 18, 2019 11:12AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you made sure you are using a hdmi cable? >:)
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already reinstalled the game after the patch, and whilst that has improved the lag a bit, still getting crashes everywhere.
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My other PS4 games aren’t crashing so why is this one?
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭

Bad coding.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eso is overloading the ps4
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CiliPadi wrote: »

Bad coding.

Lol

I was being facetious, but thanks for answering anyway.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the help article (that has been posted a week ago) here https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37022/kw
    you have to either power off and on your console, reinstall the game, or factory reset your console. If all of the above don't work we have to contact Sony customer support.

Yeah, right. So, with all the bluescreens happening after the last ESO patch, the root of this problem must obviously be Sony's hardware. Sure, that makes sense.

I'm really not much of a fan of all the hate against ZoS going on lately, even though I do understand it with everything that has been happening. Still, sometimes it seems a little extreme and the finger-pointing doesn't really help anybody except maybe through relieving some pent-up frustration - but this really does seem mildly absurd. Would be so nice to at least get some acknowledgement of their own mistakes, instead of this pathetic try to place the blame on something else, where it obviously doesn't belong.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s sad to see such a great game in the hands of people who don’t know what they’re doing with it.

Real talk.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see nothing in that link that puts the blame on Sony for anything.

PS is nothing more than a computer and blue screens on computers are often due to local issues with the machine. So it would make sense Zos would give that sort of advice as a starting point to work out a blue screen issue.

Have you even tried that or just complaining about it? Have you created a tech support ticket?
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IDK yes, I tried all the steps. Doesn't work. Just the existence of a generic help article like that is showing me that ZOS doesn't care who is at fault. Everyone, and I mean everyone who plays on PS4 has the same problem, many times a day. So you're saying that everyone's console is malfunctioning? Give me a break.
    Edited by AgaTheGreat on November 18, 2019 12:32AM
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IDK yes, I tried all the steps. Doesn't work. Just the existence of a generic help article like that is showing me that ZOS doesn't care who is at fault. Everyone, and I mean everyone who plays on PS4 has the same problem, many times a day. So you're saying that everyone's console is malfunctioning? Give me a break.

Yeah I highly doubt the entire collective ps4 playerbase all have a malfunctioning console simultaneously. This is the only game I play that crashes pretty regularly. Hell the only other game I play that ever crashes at all is Skyrim if I have too many mods installed.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CiliPadi wrote: »

Bad coding.

Probably not actually.
    If another program doesn't stress whatever the failure point is then you won't see a failure.
    PS4s are known to have memory bottleneck issues. Games like eso really stress the memory of a PS4. If you live in a warm climate your hardware is probably throwing random errors due to natural age and heat degradation.

Thing is on PCs we just replace the part or upgrade cooling. You cant do that with a console.

Just don't think "x program works so why does Y crash" always equally that one program is poorly done. It could simply be one stress the hardware differently.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I rarely got blue screens before Dragonhold DLC.

Now they're pretty regular, even worse in Southern Elsweyr.

But they're all over bad. Today I blue screened while simply shopping at a trader.

I was fine before the update. This isn't my console.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also freeze up entirely on my "unusually long loading screens" more than normal. Which is my signal to close application and play another game instead.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So far there has been no official statement on blue screens besides this help article. So we are lead to believe that everyone who experiences constant blue screens should blame the console and its software.

Great.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can you please, please comment on what is going on. The entire playstation community has to put up with several blue screens daily and so far nothing has been said.

They will never admit it's the game, they blame everyone else.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So are you saying that you did submit a tech support and all Zos techies would do is provide that generic article and nothing else?

Edit: Asking because Zos has often replied with another approach when the first did not resolve my issue. Gina and BillE needs to know so Zos can get them to step up their game.

I am tagging @ZOS_BillE but I expect they will ask for the ticket number.
    Edited by idk on November 18, 2019 4:06AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [removed quote]

I just see some agreeing with OP and others suggesting courses of action.

@grannas211 I also assume you are getting the BOSD on the PS when trying to play ESO as well as OP says the entire PS community is affected and you seem to agree with that.

If so, maybe offers information of what exactly was happening when you got the BSOD and be part of the solution with meaningful information.

Cheers.
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on November 18, 2019 3:35PM
  • CAB_Life
    CAB_Life
    Class Representative
    I don’t think many of these repeated and increasingly frequent (even on Pro and X models) crashes will be resolved until we get more powerful hardware. That said, the performance roadmap improvements ‘could’ improve things. I’m hopeful, but skeptical, since it’s most likely just a matter of increased resource demand and ageing hardware.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAB_Life wrote: »
    I don’t think many of these repeated and increasingly frequent (even on Pro and X models) crashes will be resolved until we get more powerful hardware. That said, the performance roadmap improvements ‘could’ improve things. I’m hopeful, but skeptical, since it’s most likely just a matter of increased resource demand and ageing hardware.

yeah, a bit of a shame, but I agree... since ZOS probably won't work on optimization, this is our best bet.
    Edited by lagrue on November 18, 2019 11:55AM
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It worked fine on ZOS’s PS4 on their private server.

Must be someone else’s problem
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You don't have to do any of this because the error will keep showing up. This error only happens in ESO due to how bad servers are performing atm.

I get at least 4/5 blue screens per servers each day.

PS - This is the one and ONLY game that crashes this often.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Great.

The blue screens are the nail in the coffin for me, takin a break playing COD. Its hard to stay away but its just way too frustrating with the blue screens along with the load screens.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But they're all over bad. Today I blue screened while simply shopping at a trader.

everyones experiencing it, i have a ps4 pro and still blue screen for no reason this patch. Before dragonhold it was incredibly rare.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because that's how things work these days. Dont take responsibility for your actions or inactions, just play the victim.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »
    Well to be fair that error is a generic crash error for all games, I wouldn't say they're blaming Sony. If you look up the error code on Sony's end it says the same thing, all ZOS did was copy paste.

You can definitely attribute it to the games themselves though. I can't name other games here as per rules, but there are titles out there that blue screen every hour like clockwork - and titles you can play 120 hours and never get blue screen.

I suspect the main issue here is the load of Cyrodiil and other places in this game is simply too much to handle. This game gets too dense at times. 100 players in one area spamming abilities is bound to choke the console's CPU and GPU. (as it would on PC, it's not just your console)

It's almost certain that attack effects and stuff in this game are poorly optimized... Abomination in ICP in particular makes my PS4 Pro frame rate drop like crazy, presumably from poorly optimized particles on his acid attacks... it's seriously one enemy and you can't play that area without lag.

The effects in this game can be pretty demanding... this is why if you ever go near Alikr Dolmen during events you can also only see silhouettes of players, ground textures don't load etc.... once you have mass ability spam in one area, you are going beyond what most computers even can display effectively onscreen.

The CPU and GPU are being taxed beyond what they should be. When CPU or GPU are choked, the machine is bound to crash. Optimization of effects, outfits, etc. would all go a long way, but that's a pipe dream.

So they release a patch and all of a sudden it's too much for the PS4 pro to handle after years of running the game without this blue screen problem? Get outta here with your lame explanation.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    lagrue wrote: »

I suspect the main issue here is the load of Cyrodiil and other places in this game is simply too much to handle. This game gets too dense at times. 100 players in one area spamming abilities is bound to choke the console's CPU and GPU. (as it would on PC, it's not just your console)

It's almost certain that attack effects and stuff in this game are poorly optimized... Abomination in ICP in particular makes my PS4 Pro frame rate drop like crazy, presumably from poorly optimized particles on his acid attacks... it's seriously one enemy and you can't play that area without lag.

The effects in this game can be pretty demanding... this is why if you ever go near Alikr Dolmen during events you can also only see silhouettes of players, ground textures don't load etc.... once you have mass ability spam in one area, you are going beyond what most computers even can display effectively onscreen.

So they release a patch and all of a sudden it's too much for the PS4 pro to handle after years of running the game without this blue screen problem? Get outta here with your lame explanation.

The Blue Screen problem has always existed, it's worse now.

Go play in Eastmarch right now where there's maybe 5 people in the whole zone, you won't get a blue screen.
    Go play in South Elsweyr where 80 people are gangbanging dragons, you'll get blue screens left right and center.

It's almost like player load and graphical load create the problem...

Unless you have some other suggestions as to why the problem is happening?
    Edited by lagrue on November 18, 2019 4:43PM
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This right here, I had maybe 3 blue screens in a year before Dragonhold, all of a sudden I get three an hour and I'm supposed to believe it's my hardware and not the broken update they released?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been experiencing any blue screen issues and I've been playing other games for a while now. Definitely isn't a Sony issue.