The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

overland is to easy

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Vhozek wrote: »
    "people struggle with the current overland"

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I remember during the early access days before the PC release I was in a guild with this one member who was completely overwhelmed by all combat. She had guild member crafting her sets of gear all the time. She wanted the gear with the trait that made the gear get damaged less when you die because she accepted she was just always going to die. She loved the game, but couldn't really do the questing without someone helping her. Eventually she left.

TES games appeal to a lot of people who suck at combat in games.

*raises hand* The combat in this game is meant for young people, with reflexes that approach the speed of light. That's not me.... I'll be 72 next month, and while my mind is quite good thank you, my ability to do twitchy combat left me probably 25 years or so back....

The endgame combat is meant for good reflexes. The overland doesn’t require any reaction at all, much less “twitchy” ones.

Sounds like you are the expert on the experiences of all players. Keep insisting. That will make it true.

I’m an expert on my own experiences as a newbie who didn’t find any engaging content until I stumbled into Elden Hollow with an equally newbie player at level 22. Before 1T which came a bit later in my playtime, it about the proper level for the dungeon, but it was the first time I actually felt powerful because I fought enemies that were a threat. It was fun to actually overcome a challenge rather than have victory handed to me.

ESO fails at what should be basic gameplay design. If there’s no difficulty incline, and it stays at tutorial level of “difficulty” at all time in 95% of the game, and basic mechanics like blocking, dodging, and interrupting are shown to be optional systems that won’t punish you, then the game has failed to teach players anything.

ESO’s overland vs dungeons may as well be basic addition vs calculus, and ESO isn’t exactly offering the “algebra” middleground.

It seems you fail to grasp the fundamental truth that other people aren't you. Your experience is your experience. Stop assuming that everyone has the same capacities or that everyone enjoys the same things. You responding to a criticism that you are out of touch with the experience of other players by talking about yourself. SMH.

If players want a mindless experience the way it currently is laid out then what they’re after isn’t a game, it’s a novel in a 3D world. And no it’s not “just my experience” being able to observe over and over that players don’t learn jack in overland. An elite mob, described by the game as being more difficult than other mobs only does 500dps against a player character with zero resistances.

I try to explain what to block, when to dodge, how mechanics work in a normal dungeon that’s barely tickling anyone else but knocking them dead every 20s, and then those players get mad about being told how not to die.

This game is not demanding players retain anything about combat and that’s the problem.

I don't know why overland content mobs, elite or otherwise, should be the benchmark for anything. Its a completely arbitrary standard. Why not make mudcrabs or world bosses the standard?

Overland is the content for trying out gear, skills, and learning about the peculiarities of your class. Its where you can find out that a set like Resilient Yokeda doesn't work as well as Storm Knight, but you won't get wiped in 0.2 seconds learning that. Or where you can find out what 8 meters is in the game. Or how fast you can burn through your resource pool. Or find out that stamina necro's play style is nowhere the same as a stamblade.

You are correct, overland does NOT prepare you for PVP, dungeons, or trials. Because all of that content is meant to be done in a group. Normal dungeons and trials are there to prepare you for that. Under level 50 campaigns are supposed to do that for PVP. That is where you find out that Resilient Yokeda and Storm Knight will get you killed in PVP and PVE endgame. That is where you learn mechanics. I can't imagine why anyone would want to make overland the proving ground for any of these things. Moreover, I can't imagine how you would make it the training ground for these things, either.

Overland should at minimum require players block, dodge, and interrupt, and punish them with chunks of damage if they fail to do even that

Teach-Test methods are basic parts of game design. Like, “first time you ever come across it” basic. The overland absolutely should be giving players basic knowledge of the games system so they can go into group content somewhat competent.

The final zones bosses that are built up over the entire zone should be meaningful to fight. They should give players a challenge and give an actual feeing of victory that was earned and not handed out on a silver platter. My endgame character could wipe the floor with enemies using a 100-0 burst move with buffs up and potions popped so it lasts literally 1 second, but bosses die just as quick when I do nothing but light attack them. That’s not enjoyable or immersive, especially when I can replace all the gear with green crafted sets and do the exact same thing.

I don't disagree with you. There should be more mechanics in overland content that require you to block, interrupt, etc. Right now, world bosses are the closest thing to that. An argument could be made that these are what are in the game to prepare people for dungeons. Not really, but it is the closest thing. But it is there if you are inclined to look for it.

I don't think mobs or delves or even the public dungeons should be a training ground, though. Those are just step-ups from the annoying adds that you find along the pathways. I don't need everything to push my limits the way a vet DLC dungeon does. Because I don't want to play a game that is vMHK all the time. Some of the time, sure. All of the time, no.

Group content training, if you will, should be done in a group setting. Overland grouping is unnecessary. The Alik'r dolmens are an example of that. Plus, it doesn't teach players anything. But forcing group content into solo overland questing would be a mistake. Just as forcing PVP into overland content has been a mistake in Cyrodiil and Imperial City. I think you'd be surprised as to how many players there are who do not want to do the group content in overland zones. Just because you and I love to run the group content doesn't mean everyone shares our feelings.

Dungeons and trials are where people learn how to play together. They are wholly optional as you do not need the gear out of those areas unless you are running PVE endgame or PVP. I have no problem with the current setup with the normal versions teaching players how to run the veteran and DLC content. Even if that means every one of my alternates is born a war machine that can wreck all on day one in overland content.

Finally, I don't think making overland content harder would make players better. The dungeon group finder has concretely proven that. If anything, making the base game harder would just make people complain that the endgame content is too easy
  • Megatto
    Megatto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like it's posts like these that cause DPS to get nerfed all around. Please stop and just go do some trials or arenas, or go to Cyrodiil or Battlegrounds
    Remove loot boxes or riot
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most actual level 10s cannot survive craglorn man.

Level 10 with CP 810s and the ability to craft gear sets on their main toons and transfer them over on the other hand...
    Edited by lagrue on November 18, 2019 11:34PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • LapisLazuli99
    LapisLazuli99
    ✭✭✭
    Yea I watched a lv 30 be killed by a skeever not 30 mins ago XD yes it's easy but you need to realize that the average gamer performs with the reflexes if a dead cow and that making the game even remotely difficult would turn it into "the dark souls of mmos" and run off 90% of its players.
    Xbox One - NA
    GT - Lapis Lazuli 99

AD - Orc Dragonknight
    AD - Breton Sorcerer
    AD - High Elf Nightblade
    AD - High Elf Templar
    AD - Wood Elf Warden
    AD - Khajiit Necromancer
    AD - High Elf Arcanist
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    It's why I've always suggested simply

What you ask is not simple. And I think you know that.

It is simple. They literally already have it in the game with Battle Spirit. They just don't want to put the effort into fully implementing it with options and all, and you people are, for some reason, selfishly against adding an optional way to make overland more difficult.
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I remember during the early access days before the PC release I was in a guild with this one member who was completely overwhelmed by all combat. She had guild member crafting her sets of gear all the time. She wanted the gear with the trait that made the gear get damaged less when you die because she accepted she was just always going to die. She loved the game, but couldn't really do the questing without someone helping her. Eventually she left.

*raises hand* The combat in this game is meant for young people, with reflexes that approach the speed of light. That's not me.... I'll be 72 next month, and while my mind is quite good thank you, my ability to do twitchy combat left me probably 25 years or so back....

The endgame combat is meant for good reflexes. The overland doesn’t require any reaction at all, much less “twitchy” ones.

Sounds like you are the expert on the experiences of all players. Keep insisting. That will make it true.

I’m an expert on my own experiences as a newbie who didn’t find any engaging content until I stumbled into Elden Hollow with an equally newbie player at level 22. Before 1T which came a bit later in my playtime, it about the proper level for the dungeon, but it was the first time I actually felt powerful because I fought enemies that were a threat. It was fun to actually overcome a challenge rather than have victory handed to me.

ESO fails at what should be basic gameplay design. If there’s no difficulty incline, and it stays at tutorial level of “difficulty” at all time in 95% of the game, and basic mechanics like blocking, dodging, and interrupting are shown to be optional systems that won’t punish you, then the game has failed to teach players anything.

ESO’s overland vs dungeons may as well be basic addition vs calculus, and ESO isn’t exactly offering the “algebra” middleground.

It seems you fail to grasp the fundamental truth that other people aren't you. Your experience is your experience. Stop assuming that everyone has the same capacities or that everyone enjoys the same things. You responding to a criticism that you are out of touch with the experience of other players by talking about yourself. SMH.

If players want a mindless experience the way it currently is laid out then what they’re after isn’t a game, it’s a novel in a 3D world. And no it’s not “just my experience” being able to observe over and over that players don’t learn jack in overland. An elite mob, described by the game as being more difficult than other mobs only does 500dps against a player character with zero resistances.

I try to explain what to block, when to dodge, how mechanics work in a normal dungeon that’s barely tickling anyone else but knocking them dead every 20s, and then those players get mad about being told how not to die.

This game is not demanding players retain anything about combat and that’s the problem.

I don't know why overland content mobs, elite or otherwise, should be the benchmark for anything. Its a completely arbitrary standard. Why not make mudcrabs or world bosses the standard?

Overland is the content for trying out gear, skills, and learning about the peculiarities of your class. Its where you can find out that a set like Resilient Yokeda doesn't work as well as Storm Knight, but you won't get wiped in 0.2 seconds learning that. Or where you can find out what 8 meters is in the game. Or how fast you can burn through your resource pool. Or find out that stamina necro's play style is nowhere the same as a stamblade.

You are correct, overland does NOT prepare you for PVP, dungeons, or trials. Because all of that content is meant to be done in a group. Normal dungeons and trials are there to prepare you for that. Under level 50 campaigns are supposed to do that for PVP. That is where you find out that Resilient Yokeda and Storm Knight will get you killed in PVP and PVE endgame. That is where you learn mechanics. I can't imagine why anyone would want to make overland the proving ground for any of these things. Moreover, I can't imagine how you would make it the training ground for these things, either.

Overland should at minimum require players block, dodge, and interrupt, and punish them with chunks of damage if they fail to do even that

Teach-Test methods are basic parts of game design. Like, “first time you ever come across it” basic. The overland absolutely should be giving players basic knowledge of the games system so they can go into group content somewhat competent.

The final zones bosses that are built up over the entire zone should be meaningful to fight. They should give players a challenge and give an actual feeing of victory that was earned and not handed out on a silver platter. My endgame character could wipe the floor with enemies using a 100-0 burst move with buffs up and potions popped so it lasts literally 1 second, but bosses die just as quick when I do nothing but light attack them. That’s not enjoyable or immersive, especially when I can replace all the gear with green crafted sets and do the exact same thing.

I don't disagree with you. There should be more mechanics in overland content that require you to block, interrupt, etc. Right now, world bosses are the closest thing to that. An argument could be made that these are what are in the game to prepare people for dungeons. Not really, but it is the closest thing. But it is there if you are inclined to look for it.

I don't think mobs or delves or even the public dungeons should be a training ground, though. Those are just step-ups from the annoying adds that you find along the pathways. I don't need everything to push my limits the way a vet DLC dungeon does. Because I don't want to play a game that is vMHK all the time. Some of the time, sure. All of the time, no.

Group content training, if you will, should be done in a group setting. Overland grouping is unnecessary. The Alik'r dolmens are an example of that. Plus, it doesn't teach players anything. But forcing group content into solo overland questing would be a mistake. Just as forcing PVP into overland content has been a mistake in Cyrodiil and Imperial City. I think you'd be surprised as to how many players there are who do not want to do the group content in overland zones. Just because you and I love to run the group content doesn't mean everyone shares our feelings.

Dungeons and trials are where people learn how to play together. They are wholly optional as you do not need the gear out of those areas unless you are running PVE endgame or PVP. I have no problem with the current setup with the normal versions teaching players how to run the veteran and DLC content. Even if that means every one of my alternates is born a war machine that can wreck all on day one in overland content.

Finally, I don't think making overland content harder would make players better. The dungeon group finder has concretely proven that. If anything, making the base game harder would just make people complain that the endgame content is too easy

I highly doubt bringing the required skill floor up a bit would do anything to affect the potential skill ceiling.

And like I said before, the quest bosses should have significant kill-threat against players who don’t follow basic mechanics. The trash between them, the thugs and lackies, let them be trash. The bosses and the Elite enemies should be more threatening than filler mobs.

World Bosses are in a good spot for overland difficulty, easy enough for skilled players to take on solo, difficult for undergeared and inexperienced players to take on solo. Public dungeons generally have enough mobbing mechanics with CC to pose somewhat of a threat to the average player.

Questing is where it really falls off the rails. This game is too afraid to fail the player for stupidity in questing, so much so that it’s been dumbed down over and over so it’s nearly impossible to die so long as you are light attacking, have some form of gear equipped, and have enough brain cells to walk out of red. You cannot exercise skillful play w/o nuking the boss incidentally. You cannot feel victory against an enemy that may as well be a rather large mudcrab.

I’ve seen players take ages to kill actual mudcrabs, that doesn’t mean mudcrabs aren’t a joke of an enemy. Taking a long time to kill an enemy is no indication of their threat to you. That lies purely in their damage output and nonoptional mechanics.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »

It is simple. They literally already have it in the game with Battle Spirit. They just don't want to put the effort into fully implementing it with options and all, and you people are, for some reason, selfishly against adding an optional way to make overland more difficult.

I would like to see overland content be harder. I also realize that the change has to be to the individual and not the content. There can't just be a veteran instance that we could opt into. You also can't just have the content level to the individual because there is a chance two or more players with completely different skill levels will encounter the same content at the same time. So which player would the game adjust to? Should be a way for players to effectively nerf themselves.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

I would like to see overland content be harder. I also realize that the change has to be to the individual and not the content. There can't just be a veteran instance that we could opt into. You also can't just have the content level to the individual because there is a chance two or more players with completely different skill levels will encounter the same content at the same time. So which player would the game adjust to? Should be a way for players to effectively nerf themselves.

Which is what the message you quoted is literally talking about, lol. I'd like to see them add a status effect, similar to Battle Spirit, that adjusts certain player-sided stats, such as damage done/taken and healing received, based off of a difficulty setting selected somewhere.

Combine that, with a universal mob AI and mob type overhaul to make following mechanics mandatory, as per what @Contaminate is talking about, and all the issues I have with overland are solved, in a way that works for everybody.

Newer players can turn the difficulty down if they find mechanics too punishing, allowing them to deal with mechanics a bit easier (as opposed to just ignoring them), while vets can turn the difficulty up if they want a challenge, to make overland more engaging, and more enjoyable.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I highly doubt bringing the required skill floor up a bit would do anything to affect the potential skill ceiling.

And like I said before, the quest bosses should have significant kill-threat against players who don’t follow basic mechanics. The trash between them, the thugs and lackies, let them be trash. The bosses and the Elite enemies should be more threatening than filler mobs.

World Bosses are in a good spot for overland difficulty, easy enough for skilled players to take on solo, difficult for undergeared and inexperienced players to take on solo. Public dungeons generally have enough mobbing mechanics with CC to pose somewhat of a threat to the average player.

Questing is where it really falls off the rails. This game is too afraid to fail the player for stupidity in questing, so much so that it’s been dumbed down over and over so it’s nearly impossible to die so long as you are light attacking, have some form of gear equipped, and have enough brain cells to walk out of red. You cannot exercise skillful play w/o nuking the boss incidentally. You cannot feel victory against an enemy that may as well be a rather large mudcrab.

I’ve seen players take ages to kill actual mudcrabs, that doesn’t mean mudcrabs aren’t a joke of an enemy. Taking a long time to kill an enemy is no indication of their threat to you. That lies purely in their damage output and nonoptional mechanics.

I can get behind that. Though, I remember them trying this with Summerset. People had a hard time trying to beat the sload in the cave when they first came across it. As in at the beginning of the quest.

I happen to think mechanics are fun and would welcome more of them. If it were constrained to boss fights, cool. They could be a little harder, seeing as I can wipe them on a level 10 character with blue training gear.

The counter to this is I've come across enough rubbish in dungeon group finder pugs to know that some players are beyond helping. I don't see overland content helping them, especially when the players we are talking about are the ones who ignore advice in dungeons or trials. And I shudder at the thought of having to grind out another character if the overland difficulty were increased. Its bad enough I have to listen to that stupid skull's jokes when leveling Psijic quests.

In the end, whatever can help, I'm behind. Just please don't add to the grind.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like LOTRO. I remember what LOTRO was like before Turbine sold out to Warner Bros and turned the game into a casual microtransaction-filled P2W grindfest... There was once a time when you actually needed a fellowship to complete certain low level (we’re talking lvl 10-12) bosses. I’ll always remember “LFG Jagger Jack” in Bree chat. Also, in the original SoA endgame, you needed a full group just to reach the entrance of The Rift raid in Angmar. I repeat: you needed a group JUST TO GET TO THE ENTRANCE OF A RAID. It was a tough adventure every time! The game just wasn’t the same when it went full-blown casual. I lost a lot of in-game friends to the exodus that followed, as friends were no longer necessary outside of instanced content. Way to adhere to the spirit of the Lord of the Rings, Turdbine...

i hung on until around Rohan..... Nimrodel server.

I miss those trips to the Rift in Angmar and killing that 'rog. it was damn tough.

that and the Kraken octopus creature?

- Davadin; first Champion game-wide to hit rank7 and rank8 in PvP UNTIL THEY NERF-CASUAL THE DAMN RENOWN SO EVERYBODY GOT RANK7 IN A COUPLE OF DAYS.

Ooops, looks like I still kept some twisted nerf on that game......................

I held out a bit longer than you did, quit shortly after we reached Helms Dee. The game was a hollow shadow of itself by that point. :( The only actual challenge still left could be found in the poor, laggy ol’ P2W Moors. Everything else in the game was just faceroll easy. I miss classic, pre-WB/F2P LOTRO so much... That period between Shadows of Angmar - Mines of Moria - Mirkwood was IMO one of the greatest periods for any MMO ever released. The game had such a good mix of challenging endgame content and challenging overland content. Classes had TONS of identity, and cooperative play was a necessity. Only the best players could solo/duo all overland content.

I stayed with LOTRO for seven years right up to Helms Deep and then ESO came out. After years of faceroll overland and dungeons in LOTRO, ESO was an absolute blessing because there was some overland challenge. unfortunately that challenge died with one Tamriel.

Long live the Balrog, best raid ever. Shadows of Angmar, you actually felt like Frodo and Sam in Modor. Remember that achievement in Angmar where you had to visit all the fortresses! That was literally epic. I think Lotro started to decline after Moria, the expansions got thinner, the faceroll got easier and there was no raid or pvp development.

So many people on my server came over to ESO that soon after the server was closed. We had around 70 from our server in the guild at one point, all vet raiders and pvp'ers. Take them out and the care bears were never enough to sustain the server and it died.

Be warned Zos, dont take your customers for granted, sooner or later something will come along that does cater to their needs.

Greetings to any Eldar players out there, esp Freeps n Creeps :) (Finmartigan, Hunter)

i think it declined in Rohan. Moria was the peak and Mirkwood was honestly still very good. Rohan was.... well... "good". Then WB bought the whole thing?

i had 51 guild-mates and more non-guild LOTRO friends migrated to this game.

we all joined when ESO went live and most actually tried BETA. we created the ESO-wing of our guild.

who wants to guess out of the original 51 members who joined, how many left today?

anyone?

Anyone???

Yup. That's right.

One. (me)

But it's not the saddest part though. The saddest part is I don't even remember the guild's name..... (thankfully some are still on my facebook lol)

Agreed, MoM was the game’s peak (I mean seriously, how epic did it feel to defeat the Watcher for the first time?), but Mirkwood was still good too. The game died for me when it went F2P and the store became the primary driving force. But I stuck it out for my kinmates and my for my Moors tribe in Landroval until I could stick it out no longer.

Sniff, you guys are making me miss old school LOTRO. :( Angmar and Moria were basically the best examples of excellent end game content in any MMO available at that time. I still remember every nook and cranny of Angmar, and the safest paths to tread on the way to the Rift. Angmar and MoM were DANGEROUS places to enter alone. Fellowship maneuvers mattered! When your minimap filled with Sauron’s eye and your character cowered with dread, you knew **** was about to get very real very quickly.

Nothing feels “dangerous” in ESO. Craglorn used to feel dangerous, but wah, no one wanted to form groups because they thought it was Skyrim Online.

Sigh... Microtransactions and casualization ruin the spirit of every MMO. :(
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If everything was hard then it would ruin the “play how you want” aspect that brings alot of new players
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is what the message you quoted is literally talking about, lol. I'd like to see them add a status effect, similar to Battle Spirit, that adjusts certain player-sided stats, such as damage done/taken and healing received, based off of a difficulty setting selected somewhere.

Combine that, with a universal mob AI and mob type overhaul to make following mechanics mandatory, as per what @Contaminate is talking about, and all the issues I have with overland are solved, in a way that works for everybody.

Newer players can turn the difficulty down if they find mechanics too punishing, allowing them to deal with mechanics a bit easier (as opposed to just ignoring them), while vets can turn the difficulty up if they want a challenge, to make overland more engaging, and more enjoyable.

Not really the same. You are still talking about settings that can be turned on/off or set on a slider. It is player side instead of content side so that is good. Changing the AI at this time probably isn't worth the effort it would take to make the changes. What I am suggesting (was earlier in thread so didn't repeat it) is foods that would hinder stats instead of buffing them. Would be different foods that would affect different stats. I don't know for sure but I think adding these types of foods might be easy to do compared to other suggestions. We have potions that will debuff so not a stretch that we could have foods that do the same.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. And maybe some of you figjammers could come help me at Training Grounds in S Elsweyr, or maybe at a WB in Vvardenfell.

But no, I suppose you're all too busy preeening on the forums....
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few hard sweeper bosses added to overland would spice it up a bit and the newer players could group to fight those.

LOL see my post above just 1 week in and I can't get anyone to help defeat the training grounds boss.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    A few hard sweeper bosses added to overland would spice it up a bit and the newer players could group to fight those.

LOL see my post above just 1 week in and I can't get anyone to help defeat the training grounds boss.

What boss is that?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Ozby wrote: »
    i like hard content.

its why i like progging trials. if its too easy it feels like grinding. and overland...

why can a lvl 10 easily do overland in craglorn?
    why is a mighty deaedroth helpless against a player with broken gear and no weapon?

ok the alliance part of one tamriel was good. but the overland is so easy now its just...

i know this is a very old point... but can we make the regons scale to player level? a minimum of lets say 50 for craglorn, and then scales with the player from that point.

also bonus xp for those in that level margin? this would make questing alot more efficient to level with.

because right now, its just boring.

Overland is for beginners, if they make it harder imagine what will happen to level 3 new players with no cp. Stop being so selfish.

Overland needs to be for all players. Not just "beginners" (though I know many beginners who find it too easy as well).

Which does mean you have to cater for those with the least experience and ability.

You have to accept that once you can count to 10 and do your ABC, Kindergarten isn’t going to be a challenge. You can’t unlearn your skills just because you want to go finger painting again, fun though finger painting is.

You want a serious challenge? You aren’t going to find it in overland questing. If overland questing was as hard as, say, FG1, almost no one would do it. The same percentage as solo FG1. And I would assume that’s nowhere near the level of difficulty players asking for ‘vet overland’ would like it to be.

Well I can only speak for myself. But I'm not asking for a dramatic difficulty increase. Just enough of a boost to where they can at least provide an interesting enough challenge that actually engages the player, instead of just mindlessly slaughtering them in a second or two.

So the premise of your post is inaccurate, at least as it concerns me. I"m not asking for the overland to provide a "serious" challenge on par with soloing veteran dungeons. But I would like to see the enemies at least have enough health, defense, and offenses to where they can fight back and make the player consider some defensive strategies.

In any case: I don't understand what the problem is with offering players a veteran overland to quest in. It would be optional - and players who didn't want to play in it wouldn't have to. So I just don't see a good argument here as to why people should oppose it. It's also very easy to scale monster stats upward in a different instance. So from a programming perspective, it would be a simple fix for what would ultimately make and improve the game for a great many players. For those players who are content with the current overland difficulty, they can simply remain in the current instances and shouldn't be affected by it in any way.
    Edited by Jeremy on November 19, 2019 2:33AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I can only speak for myself. But I'm not asking for a dramatic difficulty increase. Just enough of a boost to where they can at least provide an interesting enough challenge that actually engages the player, instead of just mindlessly slaughtering them in a second or two.

So the premise of your post is inaccurate, at least as it concerns me. I"m not asking for the overland to provide a "serious" challenge on par with soloing veteran dungeons. But I would like to see the enemies at least to have enough health, defense, and offenses to where they can fight back and make the player consider some defensive strategies.

In any case: I don't understand what the problem is with offering players a veteran overland to quest in. It would be optional - and players who didn't want to play in it wouldn't have to. So I just don't see a good argument here as to why people should oppose it.

I think (personal opinion only here) that offering "a vet overland to quest in" would require a MUCH more robust server farm.... It's not going to happen with the megaserver concept they are utilizing now. So, how do you think that's going to work? Obviously, ZOS isn't into spending money on infrastructure....

Am I having issues playing? Nope. But I just quest overland, craft, do whatever of the events are fun for me. If you expect ZOS to manage a multiplicity of instances so that each zone can have a "normal" and a "vet" option.... Well.... you might need to smoke something a LOT stronger....

For someone like me, the game works just fine. For people who want stuff like you do.... it's not going to happen, because if it DOES happen, the sky actually WILL fall. I'm not really sure why ZOS went this direction with the server setup, but seriously, if they WANT millions of people playing (and paying for) their game, they HAVE to do what WoW has done. Which is many servers so that the population is spread out where things like what people have been seeing in events, dungeons, pvp don't happen.

If they don't - well.... you have what we see now.

If you want to make money, you have to spend it. If you want millions of players paying you - throwing money at you - you have to do what other games have done.

I don't see ZOS doing that. It's not a concern to me, as the game is fine for me. And when the servers go dark, I'll go elsewhere. Anyone who's outside that demographic.... uh.... good luck, and have fun?
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not really the same. You are still talking about settings that can be turned on/off or set on a slider. It is player side instead of content side so that is good. Changing the AI at this time probably isn't worth the effort it would take to make the changes. What I am suggesting (was earlier in thread so didn't repeat it) is foods that would hinder stats instead of buffing them. Would be different foods that would affect different stats. I don't know for sure but I think adding these types of foods might be easy to do compared to other suggestions. We have potions that will debuff so not a stretch that we could have foods that do the same.

Foods would be just a less convenient way of doing what I'm suggesting, but the end result is literally the same. What I'm suggesting is just as easy, as it's literally adding a new status effect (food would have to do the same) that has multiple options for how it affects stats (again, food would have to do the same), except rather than consuming a different food for a different option, you just select it in your character sheet, or something.

I don't get why people would say no to something like this on the basis of "it's too hard" or "it's too much effort", because the core idea is already in the game via Battle Spirit. The ability to change server-sided settings on the client is already in the game via titles and outfits (difficulty could be the exact same, select the difficulty in a drop down menu, that then influences the difficulty status effect). Most of the work is already done, it just needs to be pieced together, and the stats just need to be changed.

And if you're saying no to something like this (an option in game as opposed to a food or whatever) on the basis of "it's too convenient", then I seriously recommend taking a long look in the mirror. Overland is meant to be for everybody, and yet vets have to jump through a series of hoops to have an enjoyable experience? Whatever, lol.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Ozby wrote: »
    i like hard content.

its why i like progging trials. if its too easy it feels like grinding. and overland...

why can a lvl 10 easily do overland in craglorn?
    why is a mighty deaedroth helpless against a player with broken gear and no weapon?

ok the alliance part of one tamriel was good. but the overland is so easy now its just...

i know this is a very old point... but can we make the regons scale to player level? a minimum of lets say 50 for craglorn, and then scales with the player from that point.

also bonus xp for those in that level margin? this would make questing alot more efficient to level with.

because right now, its just boring.

Overland is for beginners, if they make it harder imagine what will happen to level 3 new players with no cp. Stop being so selfish.

Overland needs to be for all players. Not just "beginners" (though I know many beginners who find it too easy as well).

Which does mean you have to cater for those with the least experience and ability.

You have to accept that once you can count to 10 and do your ABC, Kindergarten isn’t going to be a challenge. You can’t unlearn your skills just because you want to go finger painting again, fun though finger painting is.

You want a serious challenge? You aren’t going to find it in overland questing. If overland questing was as hard as, say, FG1, almost no one would do it. The same percentage as solo FG1. And I would assume that’s nowhere near the level of difficulty players asking for ‘vet overland’ would like it to be.

So the premise of your post is inaccurate, at least as it concerns me. I"m not asking for the overland to provide a "serious" challenge on par with soloing veteran dungeons. But I would like to see the enemies at least have enough health, defense, and offenses to where they can fight back and make the player consider some defensive strategies.

In any case: I don't understand what the problem is with offering players a veteran overland to quest in. It would be optional - and players who didn't want to play in it wouldn't have to. So I just don't see a good argument here as to why people should oppose it. It's also very easy to scale monster stats upward in a different instance. So from a programming perspective, it would be a simple fix for what would ultimately make and improve the game for a great many players. For those players who are content with the current overland difficulty, they can simply remain in the current instances and shouldn't be affected by it in any way.

Diluted population through the zones would be the first concern. And I'm not sure but I would think more instances would mean more strain on server resources? Better to handle it on the player side instead of the content side.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why do you think that people need to spam buttons for video games to not be "mindless"?
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you think that people need to spam buttons for video games to not be "mindless"?

In what way is "block this heavy attack", "Interrupt this spell", and "walk out of red" at all spamming? Please enlighten me how that's possible when enemies spend nearly a full second channeling those things before casting them.

Having to use your abilities is hardly an outrageous expectation, and it's honestly kind of hilarious you're trying to say no player should be expected to have to use them to defeat a boss that, I repeat, is built up over an entire zone as a very powerful being. What is your justification to have no requirements to defeat quest bosses? Name one actual reason.

The game shows and demands you use a light attack, a heavy attack, an interrupt in the tutorials, it throws leveled gear at you, it throws skill points at you, it literally gives you a guide on what sort of abilities will help you with the role you wanna choose. If someone actively chooses not to use any of those tools, they should be punished because that is basic logic. You don't use anything to enhance your combat power? You should suck in combat.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having to use your abilities is hardly an outrageous expectation, and it's honestly kind of hilarious you're trying to say no player should be expected to have to use them to defeat a boss that, I repeat, is built up over an entire zone as a very powerful being. What is your justification to have no requirements to defeat quest bosses? Name one actual reason.
    The thing is most players will get better at combat if the want it. They will want it if combat is good and fun. If combat is bad and (or) not fun, they will not and you can't force them to, they will just leave.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Kaartinen
    Kaartinen
    ✭✭✭
    If overland was difficult then a lot of new players would become disgruntled as they begin playing.

This is why successful games have varied content that offers a progression in difficulty and varied challenges for those who have an aptitude for the game they are playing.

It's too bad that your concern with the game is that overland is too easy, and maybe some day there will be a setting to increase difficulty.

However, currently a lot of players would just be satisfied if they could play overland with acceptable server performance.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like LOTRO. I remember what LOTRO was like before Turbine sold out to Warner Bros and turned the game into a casual microtransaction-filled P2W grindfest... There was once a time when you actually needed a fellowship to complete certain low level (we’re talking lvl 10-12) bosses. I’ll always remember “LFG Jagger Jack” in Bree chat. Also, in the original SoA endgame, you needed a full group just to reach the entrance of The Rift raid in Angmar. I repeat: you needed a group JUST TO GET TO THE ENTRANCE OF A RAID. It was a tough adventure every time! The game just wasn’t the same when it went full-blown casual. I lost a lot of in-game friends to the exodus that followed, as friends were no longer necessary outside of instanced content. Way to adhere to the spirit of the Lord of the Rings, Turdbine...

i hung on until around Rohan..... Nimrodel server.

I miss those trips to the Rift in Angmar and killing that 'rog. it was damn tough.

that and the Kraken octopus creature?

- Davadin; first Champion game-wide to hit rank7 and rank8 in PvP UNTIL THEY NERF-CASUAL THE DAMN RENOWN SO EVERYBODY GOT RANK7 IN A COUPLE OF DAYS.

Ooops, looks like I still kept some twisted nerf on that game......................

I held out a bit longer than you did, quit shortly after we reached Helms Dee. The game was a hollow shadow of itself by that point. :( The only actual challenge still left could be found in the poor, laggy ol’ P2W Moors. Everything else in the game was just faceroll easy. I miss classic, pre-WB/F2P LOTRO so much... That period between Shadows of Angmar - Mines of Moria - Mirkwood was IMO one of the greatest periods for any MMO ever released. The game had such a good mix of challenging endgame content and challenging overland content. Classes had TONS of identity, and cooperative play was a necessity. Only the best players could solo/duo all overland content.

I stayed with LOTRO for seven years right up to Helms Deep and then ESO came out. After years of faceroll overland and dungeons in LOTRO, ESO was an absolute blessing because there was some overland challenge. unfortunately that challenge died with one Tamriel.

Long live the Balrog, best raid ever. Shadows of Angmar, you actually felt like Frodo and Sam in Modor. Remember that achievement in Angmar where you had to visit all the fortresses! That was literally epic. I think Lotro started to decline after Moria, the expansions got thinner, the faceroll got easier and there was no raid or pvp development.

So many people on my server came over to ESO that soon after the server was closed. We had around 70 from our server in the guild at one point, all vet raiders and pvp'ers. Take them out and the care bears were never enough to sustain the server and it died.

Be warned Zos, dont take your customers for granted, sooner or later something will come along that does cater to their needs.

Greetings to any Eldar players out there, esp Freeps n Creeps :) (Finmartigan, Hunter)

i think it declined in Rohan. Moria was the peak and Mirkwood was honestly still very good. Rohan was.... well... "good". Then WB bought the whole thing?

i had 51 guild-mates and more non-guild LOTRO friends migrated to this game.

we all joined when ESO went live and most actually tried BETA. we created the ESO-wing of our guild.

who wants to guess out of the original 51 members who joined, how many left today?

anyone?

Anyone???

Yup. That's right.

One. (me)

But it's not the saddest part though. The saddest part is I don't even remember the guild's name..... (thankfully some are still on my facebook lol)
    Sniff, you guys are making me miss old school LOTRO. :( Angmar and Moria were basically the best examples of excellent end game content in any MMO available at that time. I still remember every nook and cranny of Angmar, and the safest paths to tread on the way to the Rift. Angmar and MoM were DANGEROUS places to enter alone. Fellowship maneuvers mattered! When your minimap filled with Sauron’s eye and your character cowered with dread, you knew **** was about to get very real very quickly.

oh SNAP fellowship manuver!!!!! :lol::lol:

yes, i miss all those. Now I remember. Once it went F2P it went downhill pretty fast. LOL the safest path to the Rift. how EPIC is that?

Now we got lv10 with 0 CP farming for nodes in Craglorn.

PS: I got a creep in Landroval! a Warg. a black-skin (rank5? 6? forgot) doggo. I main a Champ in Nimrodel tho.

PPS: ESO should not nerf anything. simply DOUBLE (no ***, DOUBLE. that's 100% increase) the damage that overland NPC delivers, and TRIPLE (oh yes, that's 200% INCREASE for a total of 300%) AGGRO RANGE.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If overland is supposed to be for new players to learn and dungeons for players that want harder content then why does overland not teach players that they will need to dodge, block, not stand in the gloop etc? or change the scaling of mobs to get progressively harder as you advance over level 10?

If you want a learning curve for new players then why not have the initial starting area and the first area of the main quest easy and increase the mechanics used after that?
    • "Don't use Cp and just white items" been there done that there is little difference.
    • "Go pvp for challenge" please, pvp is more predictable than pve the same meta builds, zergs and flavour of the month abilities.

Also, assuming that new players are so dumb they cannot grasp the mechanics of the game in the first 50 levels is more elistist than anything else.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I don't understand is the argument that people who want higher difficulty should just do trials and dungeons. Trials and dungeons are group content. I think it's the case that most people playing this game, whether it's the intention of the game developers or not, considering this IS an MMO, are actually more interested in solo content and in the Overland itself. So why are solo players, the majority of the player base, that is, being asked to go do trials and dungeons for difficulty?

No. I don't want to. Trust me, I can. I am skilled enough, but this type of content is no longer interesting to me as gamer. I don't enjoy the inconsistency and dependency of other players in these environments, it's just not fun for me. Also, I want to play the actual game, where the stories are, where the majority of the content is. I want to play in the Overland. I want mobs in the Overland to pose an actual threat to my survival even if it's just so my facial expression changes, because it doesn't, ever, while questing. It looks like this: :|... always. Because nothing exciting EVER happens that isn't a set thing that's happening in a set place that requires groups of people (World Bosses/Dragons)---which, my mistake, is not actually exciting at all because you know exactly what experience you will find when you get there. I want my solo experience to be EXCITING and unexpected. I want the leash on mobs to be loosened. I want them to join up and seemingly not give up until either one of us are dead.

That said, I know their are oldies and toddlers and those new to gaming that find Overland hard even after their first 30 minutes of playing. You guys exist, clearly, and you also have needs (which are currently being met, lucky for you). There are also players who just do not want to hassle with high difficulty when they just want to relax, do the story, and pick flowers. I completely get that. I sometimes feel the same way myself.

All I am asking for is OPTIONAL higher difficulty (dear Zenimax/Rich). Let me talk to a guy, get a debuff, and go have some real fun when I feel like it. There is a huge world out there that could be so engaging if only I felt like there was a significant chance I could be killed. I just want that and I want you guys to have your softcore experience to.
  • Marolf
    Marolf
    ✭✭✭

Edited by Marolf on November 19, 2019 9:06PM
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    The thing is most players will get better at combat if the want it. They will want it if combat is good and fun. If combat is bad and (or) not fun, they will not and you can't force them to, they will just leave.

Bolded the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard on this topic.

If players don’t get better at combat, there ABSOLUTELY should be a time when the game fails them and refuses them a win. They should NOT be able to defeat a quest boss that has been terrorizing cities and calling down mayhem for months, when they don’t even block his “ultimate move” or dodge out of his damage.

That’s not engaging, that’s throwing a paper football at the player with the words “scary boss” written on it, and then saying “That’s an ultimate enemy. Look, it says so on the wrapper!”

Combat isn’t good if half of it is practically optional like it is right now.
    Edited by Contaminate on November 20, 2019 6:33AM
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have t read all of the above yet (logs in to 50 notifications lol)

Some people are getting it. overland should be for all players. Not just supercasuals.

Good job. Some forum posts go a little of topic with salty arguments, and aside from the lord of the rings stuff, this thread is going strong
    👍

Hopefully zos might actually take notice. Who knows.....

• Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What boss is that?

The one all the "give me harder overland Content" guys want to get nerfed because it killed them. (World boss in Southern Elsweyr)
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
This discussion has been closed.