The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Which veteran DLC dungeon is most difficult to complete?

• Ozzymandius
    Ozzymandius
    ✭✭
    Which is the easiest veteran dungeon to do in the base game and can it be done solo?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Which is the easiest veteran dungeon to do in the base game and can it be done solo?

All part 1 dungeons can be done solo quite easily. Some part 2 have mechanics that make it difficult, ex. Fungal 2 has the mechanic with Bandu that chains you.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scalecaller Peak
    I'd say hardmodes:
    1: vSCP
    2: vFV?
    3. vMHK
    4. vMOS
    5. vFL
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Asardes wrote: »

All part 1 dungeons can be done solo quite easily. Some part 2 have mechanics that make it difficult, ex. Fungal 2 has the mechanic with Bandu that chains you.

COA1, COH1, and Fungal 1 are all pretty trivial on vet.
  • Ozzymandius
    Ozzymandius
    ✭✭

All part 1 dungeons can be done solo quite easily. Some part 2 have mechanics that make it difficult, ex. Fungal 2 has the mechanic with Bandu that chains you.[/quote]

Thanks will give them a go. Tried to solo direfrost keep on veteran got to last boss easily but couldn’t kill it - couldn’t cause any damage using one bar pet sorc build. Could kill last boss easily on normal using that build so not sure what the problem is. I know you have to break free immediately from the drain health ability of last boss.

What build is best to try veteran dungeons solo? I have mag sorc, Magtemp, stamDK, stamsorc, Stamblade and magblade all max cp. I haven’t got access to trial gear.
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Because the real hardmode in this dungeon is that half the players will DC randomly.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault

Fungal Grotto I would say, off the top of my head. There are a few of similar "ease".
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Keeps dcing ppl during last boss fight
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depths of Malatar
    Frostvault laser boss is so easy, what’s so hard about it?
    Pc na
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    akl77 wrote: »
    Frostvault laser boss is so easy, what’s so hard about it?

Perhaps you have never tried to pug vet Frosvault regularly, perhaps you run with high dps/experienced groups...

Perhaps 43% (at time of writing) are wrong and you are right.

As a side, Depths of Malater on vet is a challenge, but I found it significantly easier than vet Frostvault and I have completed it with pugs multiple times, unlike Frostvault. I wonder why?

I guess as I mentioned in an earlier comment, different people find different content difficult and that can depend on a wide range of factors.
    Edited by Grianasteri on November 19, 2019 1:26PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    The only trick in Frostvault is to move in the same direction once the boss shields the lasers start coming. It's either clockwise or counter-clockwise but you are able to see that right away. If the group stacks and shields/heals, and you target the spheres so they don't shoot at you too much, it's pretty straight forward. Another danger are the charged balls that cross the room, but you can side step those as well, or the tank can simply intercept them and block, then break free. They can also blow up the spider adds.

The phase when the boss is free is far less dangerous, but I've seen plenty of players get killed by the AoE he shoots up - big circles, easy to side-step. And they were supposedly "experienced" players who were progressing trials. I got pretty pissed at them, because they kept at it for dozens of attempts. Even spamming barrier on them did little to help. I mean if you get a random noob from the queue or some chat your expectations are low.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depths of Malatar
    I found depths of malatar to be harder than every dlc dungeon i’ve finished on vet, and i’ve done every one but vmhk, just not on hard mode for the newer ones

Every boss is irritating, some ads hit like a truck, it just raises my blood pressure

I pugged vet Frostvault non HM and we only wiped on the laser boss
    Edited by AuraStorm43 on November 19, 2019 3:14PM
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Have to change my vote to depths of malatar. I didn't realize they had changed the king what's his face fight so you can no longer drag all of his minions into the corner .
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Have to change my vote to depths of malatar. I didn't realize they had changed the king what's his face fight so you can no longer drag all of his minions into the corner .

I did the fight on vet recently with a pug, no corner cheese. Again, while difficult, I just havnt found that pugs fail anywhere near as often as they do in vet Frostvault.

It is entirely possible, given we are often talking about pugs, that the variation is random. It makes a huge difference who you end up within in the group.

• phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    I was with guildies last night and to be fair 3 of us were on characters that probably were not ready for Vdom. Lol
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Frostvault
    The laser lag is real
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moon Hunter Keep
    To be honest, i find the poll very experience based. For example, while i do know vFV as the dungeon with most bugs available in game, as long as they dont appear, it is pretty straight forward. Then again i was pugging it daily when i was farming tzogvin...maybe i got used to it. The laser boss which seems the bane of everyone is soloable, so a 4 man group of people knowing the mechanics should easily pass it. As long as they burn adds
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I think "quite easily" is an overstatement- especially since the last 2 updates dropped.
    Thanks will give them a go. Tried to solo direfrost keep on veteran got to last boss easily but couldn’t kill it - couldn’t cause any damage using one bar pet sorc build. Could kill last boss easily on normal using that build so not sure what the problem is. I know you have to break free immediately from the drain health ability of last boss.

What build is best to try veteran dungeons solo? I have mag sorc, Magtemp, stamDK, stamsorc, Stamblade and magblade all max cp. I haven’t got access to trial gear.

For me, werewolf used to be the best for completing solo vet dungeons (Elsewyr and earlier). Now I use mag sorc. As with anything, the first clear is hardest because you have to get a handle on things like interrupts and CC that normally aren't a major issue when in a group.

Something that isn't obvious: that it helps to change your skill bar and equipment at times while in the dungeon. For instance, the last boss of vet wayrest 1 hits very hard several times in a row. Ymmv, but I had to go to a tankier setup with better stam regen to beat that particular boss. You mentioned Direfrost keep... while the rest of that dungeon was no trouble on a pet sorc, I had to switch to a light attack + crit surge & shield build to beat the last boss (again after the most recent update, prior to that was easier). Like vMA, soloing a vet dungeon is often much more difficult the first time through, so don't lose heart!
  • DraconicFalcon
    Moon Hunter Keep
    I would say it is a toss up between Moon Hunter Keep, Frostvault and to a certain extent Lair of Maarselok, for non Hard modes at least. I have not run the hard modes for all DLC dungeons so I can't speak for those.

Frostvault. I run it twice on vet so far and both are successful clears that took around 2 hours. More than 50% of the time is spent on the Vault Protector. Seriously, that boss is just stupid. While the laser mechs are straightforward and easy to understand, there are several problems that come with that mechanic that made that boss fight easily not only one of the most aggravating boss fights, but also one of the most mentally draining ones as well.

The laser phase spawns based on both a timer and the boss health. This would not have been a problem... except that the laser cycle will increase from 1, 2, to a max of 4 every time that phase is triggered. And the thing is that there is not enough visual feedback from the lasers to tell which direction they are coming from, which makes it more difficult to avoid. You can certainly tell where they are coming from due to the bright red flash, but it is not obvious enough when there is a lot of things going on. So groups that have a lower end dps will find this fight a huge pain in the ass (Hell even with high dps groups this fight is still a problem due to other problems with this mech that I will explain later). What's worse is that there are adds that spawn on every time the laser phase is triggered, which again does not sound like a problem... but they will enrage quickly and shoot out an AOE that easily one shots a DPS. Oh... and to add on top of that... explosive spheres that move around the room that will CC you when you accidentally touch them. So taking account to these factors alone... watching out for the electric spheres... the direction of the laser... having to kill adds or kite a potentially lethal attack all at the same time... in a small arena to fight in... all of these will make give enough trouble for high end dps groups. It will be much much worse for lower end dps groups where they can't dps down the boss or kill adds fast enough where then they will have to deal with even more laser cycles even earlier with all the *** going on. Now I play on NA server and I am from SE asia, where I get 250 to 300 ping, and that just makes the experience with the lasers even worse. And yeah, I have yet to mention the bugs with this fight where the shield does not block the lasers properly and whatnot.

For the rest of the dungeon, it really isn't that bad. Tzogvin gave a bit of trouble but it was not too frustrating, and we wiped a few times on Stonekeeper because I the tank was trying to get used to the movement of the small tight space and the timing of the attacks, but otherwise Stonekeeper ain't bad. Hell in fact if the Vault Protector was deleted from the dungeon... Frostvault won't be one of my choices of most difficult DLC dungeons on vet.

Lair of Maarselok. The dungeon's so called "difficulty" comes from the Azureblight Canceroid and the first Maarselok fight. So first things first, I noticed that in LoM (and also Moongrave Fane) the boss fights tend to *** out adds at a much more higher rate than the other DLC dungeons (barring Moon Hunter Keep maybe) and this is a huge problem in those boss fights that I mentioned above in LoM. The stranglers will spawn ridiculously fast on the Canceroid boss fight that it's not even worth it to dps them down and its better to burn the lurcher and the main Canceroid directly. I ran vLoM several times with both high dps and pretty average dps groups and even in the high end dps groups they still spawn quickly.

The first Maarselok fight. Again, adds continue to *** out at a ridiculous rate for both the stranglers and the stray creatures that spawn. And even worse, this fight is just completely pure RNG due to the fact that the stranglers just randomly target anyone with their spit... which one shots any spider Selene spawns. Here is the thing, a certain amount of spiders are needed to ground Maarselok, but they are on a duration and all those stacks will expire. So... you got to pray the stranglers don't target the spiders. Other than the Canceroid and Maarselok, the other bosses are easy... and Maarselok on non HM is mostly a glorified target dummy.

Now finally, Moon Hunter Keep.

Moon Hunter Keep is very tough throughout most of the dungeon. While the length of it is short, the bosses are still easily one of the most challenging bosses of all DLC dungeons, and the mobs are already pretty dangerous. In particularly to one of the trash mobs... the Hulking Werewolf/Werewolf Behemoth. Seriously sometimes I feel that enemy type needs to be tuned down a little. The howl does a ridiculous amount of damage and it seems that they appear in every trash mob after you defeat Mylene. In addition to that, sometimes in trash mobs you fight them alongside several Werewolf Berserkers, another type of elite mob in this dungeon that can one shot a tank who is not blocking. And you have to fight them all in tight corridors, which makes them even more difficult to position them or target them properly. They are not as threatening as the Hulking Werewolves, but they still pose a threat to the DDs and the Healer.

Now the bosses themselves. The jailer and the lurcher are not too problematic, but Mylene onwards is where things will really stress the group out. This boss spawns trash mobs just like some of the other DLC dungeon bosses... but they spawn every 10% of the bosses health. This will force DD's to control their dps which I think is neat. But one of the difficulties that come with this fight is the very large fighting arena. Shock Wardens will spawn periodically and they can be anywhere, and the tank sometimes as to drag Mylene into them. But of course Mylene sometimes will jump on someone who is far away and while there are methods to interrupt her it is usually a problem with PUGS where they don't have ranged interrupts. Also on the mobs that spawn every 10% health... they will put stacks of snares on whoever they attack, making it somewhat annoying to try kiting or avoid AoEs.

Archivist. Well considering that the Hulking werewolf/Werewolf Behemoth is one of the adds that will spawn in this fight, it already makes it pretty difficult to deal with in addition to the mechs that have to be paid attention in this fight.

Vykosa. Oh god this fight. There is only a source of one shot in this fight, which is boss and the big wolves telegraphed heavy attacks themselves. Alright looks innocent enough most vet DLC dungeon bosses HAs will have one shots at times. Nothing new here. But there is a problem... with even more coming in... instead of snares...you will get stuns and fears throughout this fight. So essentially if you are stunned/feared while Vykosa/Wolf pet is doing a heavy attack, you the tank are *** unless you are a DK with Magma Shell on. Seriously the amount of CCs going on in this boss fight is ridiculous. And again... adds spawn... based on 10% health taken away from the boss. Alright nothing wrong with that its just like Mylene... but instead of dire wolves that spawn... WEREWOLF BERSERKERS will be the ones that spawn. 2 of them every 10%. You know... the ones that hit hard and will one shot tanks? They certainly aren't like the Hulking Werewolves of course but damn. So if you happen to have enough aggro for the berserkers to even come for you the tank, you have deal with another enemy that is capable of one shotting you. Oh and of course, because they spawn every 10%... you really need to be super extra careful not to get any cleave damage in on Vykosa... or more of the Werewolf Berserkers will come.

So the reason why I chose Moon Hunter Keep as my option is because in Moon Hunter Keep, both the bosses and the trash mobs will continuously give you difficulty and trouble to deal with throughout the dungeon. Frostvault while still difficult, most of the difficulty comes from "that one boss" (Vault Protector), same goes for LoM but that first Maarselok fight is really just RNG.

• Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Frostvault
    HM was the toughest, imo.