Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which veteran DLC dungeon is most difficult to complete?

Grianasteri
Grianasteri
✭✭✭✭✭
As the title suggests, I am interested to know what the community feels are the most difficult dungeons to complete, and crucially, why? Once you have voted please do give your reasons in a comment below.

Note that there is a max of 10 poll options (which frankly is too low), so I have taken the executive decision to exclude several dungeons on the basis of my own experience. If you feel a dungeon warrants a mention, please do highlight it in your comment below as well. For the same reason, I took Blackrose prison out as well, its a bit different from the usual dungeon format anway, though I recognise it is challenging.

Which veteran DLC dungeon is most difficult to complete? 125 votes

White Gold Tower
2%
Bobby_V_RockitJadonSkyInAMinute 3 votes
Frostvault
42%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOstarkerealmmaxterhexMrBrownstoneKelcesVaranahighkingnmMartoAliyavanaParrot1986Blackbird_VLord_EomerLadyNalcaryashootatme80OutLaw_NynxheavenelvaMilchbartmeekmikoAsardesJacen_Veron 53 votes
Ruins of Mazzatun
0%
Asys 1 vote
Bloodroot Forge
0%
Falkreath Hold
0%
Alutora 1 vote
Scalecaller Peak
11%
ssewallb14_ESOSFxxKANExxReedxEmma_OverloadsiddiqueShadow_Akulahappyhughes2001Fur_like_snowPrimusNephilimFierceSamGrimTheReaper45Milo5criptLuthriel 14 votes
Fang Lair
4%
quadraxis666kylewwefanBlissfulDelugePajorvibebornIlision 6 votes
March of Sacrifices
5%
EldartarJanTanhideJayJayIsSoJayHixtoryCyberSkoomaAletheuaiiRenity 7 votes
Moon Hunter Keep
20%
Kayshawild_kmacdb16_ESOPyr0xyrecuprotiteDalsinthusTommy_The_GunrudvilmikemaconMauinFakeFoxBiscuitWildRaptorXcolossalvoidshaeleneStratlocvingarmoHappyTheCamperzvaviKaunasb95fistergatekeeper13 26 votes
Depths of Malatar
11%
pod88kknk125xakl77Gotrim123TelvanniWizardBladedMischiefayu_feverMarleyRainLavellanOzbyThePhantomThornAnony_MouseAuraStorm43Xzysts 14 votes
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Because lasers are buggy as hell
  • maxterhex
    maxterhex
    Frostvault
    and Marselok
  • maxterhex
    maxterhex
    Frostvault
    p.s. of course, if we talking about HM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    despite OP didn't state what group we talk about, i suggest it's PUG.
    WIth PUG, any dungeon could be impossible.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    maxterhex wrote: »
    and Marselok

That's interesting, I didnt find Lair Of Maarselok to be particularly difficult in the context of these dlc dungeons, I farmed it recently with a few pugs (which is why I excluded it). Just goes to show, different folk experience content differently and likely for different reasons.

But yeah, screw that Lazer boss in Frostvault lol.
  • ayu_fever
    ayu_fever
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depths of Malatar
    i avoid dlc dungeons on vet because they are just too hard unless i REALLY need something from those crazy places :(

i have only completed imperial city prison, white gold tower, cradle of shadows, and depths of malatar so i can only speak on those. i have not attempted the others because the thought of vet dlc dungeons spikes my blood pressure.
    of all those, malatar was the hardest no doubt about it! it took over 4 hours to get through it but i wasnt giving up because i needed the meridia skin since she is my all time favorite elder scrolls character.
    i refuse to go back to it.

when the meridia motif unlocked, i swiped the card on it because aint no way im grinding that dungeon!

im not calling for nerfs to the content because i know my limits and stay in my lane.
    dlc dungeons on normal is plenty for me!!!
    PS4 NA

all characters are members of the ebonheart pact master race
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT

main character:
    Rebekah Straight-Fire, breton templar healer: THE FATEBRINGER (dungeons, trials, pvp)
    —MERIDIA’S LUSTRANT— 1100+CP; alliance rank 21 (major grade 1); Rebekah is the most devoted and loyal follower of the lady of infinite energies and the highest ascendant of meridia’s purified legion and was forged from meridia’s brilliant radiance of purity.

other meta toons-
    Alexa Straight-Fire, breton warden healer: THE ALCHEMIST (dungeons, trials)
    Sasha Straight-Fire, nord dragonknight tank: THE UNBREAKABLE (dungeons, trials)
    Freyja Straight-Fire, nord warden tank: THE ICEBERG (dungeons, trials)
    Ororo Straight-Fire, dark elf magsorc: THE SHOCKWAVE (dungeons, trials)
    Michonne Straight-Fire, redguard stamDK: THE EVISCERATOR (dungeons, trials)

just for fun toons-
    Rhea Straight-Fire, wood elf warden stam healer: THE RANGER
    Shiva Straight-Fire, high elf warden ice mage: THE CRYOMANCER
    Morgana Straight-Fire, dark elf necromancer solo play: THE DEATHSINGER
    Lucille Straight-Fire, dark elf nightblade solo play: THE VOIDWALKER
    Diana Straight-Fire, nord templar tank: THE CLERIC
    Falsetto Straight-Fire, orc stamsorc werewolf: THE THUNDERHOWL
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    mocap wrote: »
    despite OP didn't state what group we talk about, i suggest it's PUG.
    WIth PUG, any dungeon could be impossible.

True, I am thinking about pugs but pugs are so random you dont know what youre going to get, so more than this I am asking generally with all things considered which dungeon folk feel is most difficult.

On a personal front, I have been attempting to pug vet Frostvault for several weeks, no one can do it. Its both funny and intensely frustrating (Ive done it once ages ago as a healer with guildies).
    Edited by Grianasteri on November 14, 2019 4:34PM
  • maxterhex
    maxterhex
    Frostvault
    maxterhex wrote: »
    and Marselok

That's interesting, I didnt find Lair Of Maarselok to be particularly difficult in the context of these dlc dungeons, I farmed it recently with a few pugs (which is why I excluded it). Just goes to show, different folk experience content differently and likely for different reasons.

But yeah, screw that Lazer boss in Frostvault lol.

in HM Marselok you need huge coordination between ppl, like in rat race in HM FV.
  • Rexy18
    Rexy18
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest to hardest (whole dungeon without hardmode):
    ICP
    WGT
    RoM
    CoS
    FH
    SP
    FL
    MoS
    BF
    FV
    MF
    LoM
    MHK
    DoM

Easiest to hardest (hardmode alone):
    ICP- no different to non-hardmode
    WGT- no different to non-hardmode with high DPS
    RoM- same as above
    CoS- can die in labyrinth if you're unlucky and land on the side with 4 exits and the first 3 are closed
    MoS- pretty straightforward as long as everyone has some sort of speedbuff and/or CC removal and knows when to dodge fire spit (through addons or otherwise)
    FH- execute phase can be quite tricky with low DPS
    BF- positioning is key here, without it the fight is twice as hard due to lava. The boss can be quite a strain on the tank without a healer
    DoM- same as above, depending on where the boss is tanked. If at the very edge to avoid wall, there's no way to avoid the heavy attack and your health must be full/high to survive it. If the boss is walked around the area, it'll get buffed when crossing the wall. DDs should have decent health
    FL- never understood why people vote this as the hardest, just be aware of your surroundings at all times and plan ahead where you want to cross the ghost wall. Don't push the DPS too hard and deal with the colossi one by one
    SP- like BF, positioning is key here, even more so. Killing the adds on one side and moving to the other side makes it slightly easier (since the geyser doesn't move)
    MF- quite a mechanic-intensive fight but not so bad when followed correctly. If everyone is assigned their role at the start, it makes it easier. The boss can be quite a strain on the tank without a healer
    LoM- the mechanics aren't that difficult but do require high co-ordination and there is little room for error. With all the adds spawning, the seed mechanic and the boss moving, this fight can get quite lengthy. Ideal if a mag DD can slot purge so the tank has easier magicka management
    MHK- a lot of people say this boss is easy but I've always (and still do) find the execute phase tricky as DD with the number of adds at once (though being a stam DK and popping corrosive makes it easier)
    FV- by far the most difficult dungeon fight in the game, requires excellent co-ordination and communication downstairs as well as movement upstairs on phase 3. The defile makes this fight very difficult for the tank in a 3 DD group

(assuming 3 DD group)
    Edited by Rexy18 on November 14, 2019 5:02PM
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Frostvault
    Definitely Maarselok.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Frostvault because lasers. Sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads.
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fang Lair
    Excluding the hard modes, I want to say Fang Lair or Frostvault. Both have very difficult side bosses that are needed to complete them. Fang Lair has the menagerie, where you need to be on point with the senche interrupt and avoid the boom-boom wolves. Frostvault has the laser room.

These bosses are the main pug killers, imo. Other than that, veteran DLC dungeons are pretty forgiving so long as you have the skill/DPS for them.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    So, Frostvault with 44%, that is quite significant... which to be honest is what I suspected and was the main driver for my creating the poll.

Personally, I completed it last night with one of my tonks, a long time after first doing so with a healer shortly after it first came out. I had been trying for several weeks with pugs and a few premades. So to say I am happy would be an extreme understatement ;-)

Apart from that bloody lazer boss that most folk are all too aware of, the dungeon has a number of other pain points.

The 4th boss, (after the lazers), the tank has to position themselves perfectly or die, this takes practice, even for experienced tanks. It can be a nightmare. The final boss is actually fairly easy but for one thing, the tank has to survive INSANE amounts of damage. It was a shock to me as of course I had only ever completed it in the distant past with a healer.

Screw you Frostvault. lol
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Marselok
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Frostvault because of buggy animations/telegraphs at Vault Protector. Many players also seem to have really bad reflexes, get one shot by spheres they seem incapable of killing despite their supposedly high dummy parse DPS. The ice mage boss is kinda bugged as well - unclear Ice Atronach telegraph for tank - but at least there deaths are easier to recover from.

Lair of Maarselok because of difficult fight (for some groups) at the strangler room - many players can't focus the stranglers and kill them fast enough, group wipes to trash. Also some don't block the unrelenting force shout from the dragon, despite clear and persistent telegraph. Again, probably too many hours spent slapping the dummy, instead of actually playing the game.

In the last few months I've had a really hard time finding groups for DLC dungeons, even within my ex PVE guild, and when I find, thy played as bad as randoms in 4/5 cases - the reason I left it. Even PUGs I manage to recruit of trade guilds seem way worse than before for some reason. I mean not only sub-par DPS, but also inability to follow clear explanations.

So overall dungeons are difficult first because players are bad, and second because they're bugged; the latter only affects maybe no-death/triple achievement runs since it doesn't appear consistently.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    And it’s just the laser area that is a pain, sometimes they even get you when you were behind the shield
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all easy to complete. The lag just makes some of them annoying sometimes.
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Frostvault's a real pain, and the lasers can ruin a good run.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Gold Tower
    I’m allergic to one shots, so they are all equally impossible for me...
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm with friend, none of them is hard.
    In pug Frostvault and Moon Hunter keep are horrible especially on the 2 last boss when DD don't understand they need to slow down dps..

That said, Frosvault is still my favorite DG to run.
    Love Moon Grave fane too, funny mechanic.
    But both of them have horrible HM.

Frostvault seem to have a big rng part and Moon Grave is a nightmare since sustain nerf when DPS need to heal the healer to remove the debuff.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scalecaller Peak
    I voted Scalecaller Peak because its my nemesis, I've not attempted Vet-Frostvault so I'm unable to comment on that but after seeing the voting results....(holy chit man) I'll make sure I read up on mechanics plus I'm currently farming False God.
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fang Lair
    For me it was Fang Lair. I've only tried it once (as a tank) but that shalk made me want to never do it again

I do also agree with those who voted Frostvault too

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    vibeborn wrote: »
    For me it was Fang Lair. I've only tried it once (as a tank) but that shalk made me want to never do it again

Look at your feet, then when the circle is almost full, roll dodge. Once the shalks spawn on you, CC them (easy for DK using talons, if another class you can use Time Freeze, Blockade of Frost or other skills), then run them around so they don't catch you and apply the debuff. They die after about 10s if I'm not mistaken. Or you can simply ask one of the DDs to damage them so they die earlier. But the latter is a bit risky since the boss has very little HP and you can push him into the next crystal phase before the current one is finished.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    March of Sacrifices
    Crap, I think I selected the wrong one. LOL. Frostvault was the toughest for me. The rest were pretty straightforward but a few did take some time.
  • SkyMagpie
    SkyMagpie
    ✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    I have all challengers done except FV because that dungeon is just unfair, those lasers are so buggy and unfair and I wouldn't dream of ever PUGing that, even with a premade group and voice chat we still couldn't coordinate the crazy random laser %
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fang Lair
    Asardes wrote: »

Look at your feet, then when the circle is almost full, roll dodge. Once the shalks spawn on you, CC them (easy for DK using talons, if another class you can use Time Freeze, Blockade of Frost or other skills), then run them around so they don't catch you and apply the debuff. They die after about 10s if I'm not mistaken. Or you can simply ask one of the DDs to damage them so they die earlier. But the latter is a bit risky since the boss has very little HP and you can push him into the next crystal phase before the current one is finished.

Thanks for the tip :) Maybe there's hope after all that I will be able to finish it without dying so many times as I did
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Asardes wrote: »

Thanks for the tip :) Maybe there's hope after all that I will be able to finish it without dying so many times as I did

Non HM is quite easy there. HM is really hard though.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a thread that was created just before this one that discusses which HM is most difficult which is where the real challenge often lies. It some good discussion so I am linking it.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/500813/most-difficult-hard-mode-of-last-2-years/p1
  • Ilision
    Ilision
    ✭✭✭
    Fang Lair
    I find that Fang Lair is difficult.

I think in most cases may be all are in their own way, especially if you have to wipe multiple times so that the rest of the group understand the mechanic.

What I do not understand is how many people do not care for the mechanic!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Because Finn's Electric Sandwich Shop (Vault Protector) takes no prisoners. Gah, that dungeon!