Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Problem with TARGETING since patch

SickleCider
SickleCider
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I wanted to observe this phenomenon for a while, so that I was sure there's an issue, and I'm not just off my groove. I've been having a problem with lightning heavy attacks not firing since the patch. It seems as though the targeting is a lot less forgiving, and now, if targets are very slightly left or right of the cursor, or too close to my toon, I can't initiate an attack. I'm not sure whether this is a bug, or if something was adjusted. If something was adjusted, I would wager lightning HAs have become more challenging than intended.

EDIT: It seems that it's not just lightning staff HAs that are suffering. I donate this thread to anyone that wants to contribute. Check the comments below for more bugs.
Edited by SickleCider on November 15, 2019 2:10PM
✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Something is definitely very "off" with targeting right now, ever since the patch. Olms has always been notoriously obnoxious with a gigantic hitbox that overwhelms everything else, but now you can't even hit a mini that has been tap-targeted when you're standing right in front of it if it's near Olms. I've watched my interrupts fling to the left in a weird stream of light that takes forever to reach a target, then hits Olms instead of Llothis.
    Edited by p00tx on November 14, 2019 11:08PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that if a mudcrab stands too close to me, I can't target it with anything.
    Also I need to tilt the camera to look higher when a target is tall, like maybe around troll size or taller.
    But that seems to be with all weapons/skills, not just lightning staff.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 14, 2019 11:33PM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay, so something is definitely weird with the targeting on a global scale. Thanks for contributing! I'll amend the title of this thread, and I welcome anyone else to share other peculiarities they've noticed.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, noticed this too, and the bug where overload makes your weapons disappear altogether, then gets stuck and leaves you permanently throwing lightning at the floor and unable to attack.

In fact the lightning staff not only does not fire where you point, sometimes it fails to fire at all.

• Gnatrak
    Gnatrak
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having a hard time getting my heavy attacks to lock onto a boss as well (or any target in general) with both my restoration and lightning staves on my healer. It's beyond frustrating, I heavy attack as much as possible in between heals and buffs to activate my passives, not to mention get resources back.

When I was searching the forum to see if anyone else was having the same problem, I came across several old posts - this appears to be a common occurrence that's been sporadically happening few years now.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, so that's why I sometimes had serious trouble hitting enemies (both players and NPCs) in Cyro yesterday evening with lightning or resto heavies...
    My character would just stand there like a lemon and not do anything, even though I was aiming directly at the enemy.

Don't think it was a lag issue, either - previously, HAs always worked quite reliably for me, even in very severe lag conditions.
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, yesterday on last boss in vet DarkShade 1 sometimes I couldn't hit the boss even though he was Tab Targetted. It just goes off and on, on it's own.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. And I was thinking it is only me or some wierd lag or something. Since last mini patch Heavy & light attacks seems to not connect often, unleas you are VERY close to mob you are trying to hit. Often it still may not connect if you look in wrong direction or mob will move tiny bit futher. It also seems to affect some skills that simply have their animation interupded after 0.5 sec...
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing I've found is that in addition to all the above low obstacles, like ankle or knee high rocks or clumps or grass, prevents you from hitting an enemy on the other side or it. I thought it was a Southern Elsweyr problem but it's everywhere, it's just that SE have so many of these obstacles that it is that much more common.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed when I go to leave the bank in Shorhelm; my nose has to be right on the door to exit otherwise; I initiate conversation with the orc that's in there. I dont really partake in the crime stuff but if I hear "what do you want" 1 more time, I'm going to kill him repetitively.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like to add that I've been having trouble looting harvesting nodes as well. I sometimes need to double tap, because it seems if my camera nudges even a little bit, or I'm not in the right position, or a snowflake drifts by on the screen, or someone in the US government makes a tweet, the harvesting animation fails to initialize. This, plus those farmers that will literally steal a node right out from under your nose, has been leading to some very frustrating moments.
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had this problem since summerset when they decided to mess with light and heavy attacks. Still a f'n problem. Seems heavy attacks just randomly stop working, sure wish these dev's would just make this work like Todd says lol.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had this problem since summerset when they decided to mess with light and heavy attacks. Still a f'n problem. Seems heavy attacks just randomly stop working, sure wish these dev's would just make this work like Todd says lol.

The quote should be read as, "it just works." As in, barely.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had sporadic issues with heavy attack targeting with a lightning staff pretty much the whole time playing. Sometimes it just stops attacking and I have to let go of the button, aim at an enemy, and hold it down again. Sometimes I can just keep it held down and aim towards an enemy and the attack will just continue. No consistency.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having trouble with rapid strikes and other melee range skills, like surprise attacks, not landing when my character is in range and focused, and it just looks like it's light attacking with the daggers instead. This has been happening for a while now, really throws off the rotation when it happens.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something definitely felt off about the targeting when I played tonight. Is this just a side effect of the server problems, or did a recent patch change something about targeting? I can't find any mention of it in the patch notes.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I've been having trouble with rapid strikes and other melee range skills, like surprise attacks, not landing when my character is in range and focused, and it just looks like it's light attacking with the daggers instead. This has been happening for a while now, really throws off the rotation when it happens.

I've noticed this, too. I have this thing where Rapid Strikes activates visually, but even though I'm standing right in front of the target, I don't see its health deplete (and I'm talking about normal Overland enemies here, so you would definitely see the health loss). Also Poison Injection seems awfully finicky lately. Sometimes it just stays grayed out, no matter how carefully I aim, or how far I am away from the target. Sometimes it takes 5 to 10 seconds before I can activate it, which really screws up my rotation when this happens in a dungeon.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• NeoPhoenix
    Yep, I've noticed this too for the last three patches I reckon. I need to be much more precise with my cross hairs even though as a stam char I'm right in front of the boss
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Target were closer, I’d go there instead of Walmart.