The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trainee Set Stat Density

WrathOfInnos
WrathOfInnos
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This one has bugged me for a long time, but I’ve always halfway accepted the idea that trainee is intended to be a beginner set and have weak stats for end game. However, last weekend this theory was debunked when gold jewelry showed up in the Golden Vendor in Cyrodiil. It was clearly placed there deliberately, with a separate item for each of the 3 jewelry traits available (healthy, robust, and arcane). It was not some RNG computer algorithm that chose Trainee by mistake.

To begin the discussion, let’s look at what the set does:

Armor of the Trainee
(2) 1206 Health
(3) 1096 Magicka
(4) 1096 Stamina
(5) 1250 Health, Magicka and Stamina

So it gives a total of:
- 2456 Health
- 2346 Magicka
- 2346 Stamina

It is basically a tri-stat glyph or Triune trait in set form. However the values don’t seem to be balanced in this sense. If we compare it to sets like Crafty Alfiq (5848 Magicka) or Draugr Hulk (5848 Stamina), and use the general formula seen with Triune trait or Prismatic Glyphs:

1 Magicka = 1 Stamina = 1.1 Health = 0.5 Magicka + 0.5 Stamina + 0.55 Health

Then a tri-stat armor set should give with all the set bonuses combined:
- 5848 x 0.55 = 3216 Health
- 5848x 0.5 = 2924 Magicka
- 5848 x 0.5 = 2924 Stamina

Another way to calculate this would be to use the general rule that a 5pc set bonus is equal to 2.32 standard set bonuses. So the combined bonuses on a 5pc set should equal 1+1+1+2.32 = 5.32 standard set bonuses. Looking at the Stonekeeper 1pc we see that a standard tri-stat set bonus is 548 Magicka + 548 Stamina + 603 Health. If we multiply this by 5.32, we can see a 5pc two stat set should give a total (across 2,3,4, and 5 piece bonuses) of:
- 603 x 5.32 = 3208 Health
- 548 x 5.32 = 2915 Magicka
- 548 x 5.32 = 2915 Stamina

Notice that these values are extremely close to the previous method, and far from the existing Trainee set totals.

If we were to keep the existing 2-4 piece bonuses and absorb the new total resource values into the Trainee 5pc set it would look something like this:

(2) 1206 Health
(3) 1096 Magicka
(4) 1096 Stamina
(5) 2010 Health + 1828 Magicka + 1828 Stamina

If I were redoing the set I’d actually take it a step further and shift some of the stat density out of the 5pc and into the 2-4pc bonuses to each be tri-stat. It could be:
(2) 603 Health + 548 Mag + 548 Stam
(3) 603 Health + 548 Mag + 548 Stam
(4) 603 Health + 548 Mag + 548 Stam
(5) 1407 Health + 1280 Mag + 1280 Stam

This would make it more unique and better balance it against single-stat options. Trainee is currently one of the most difficult sets to farm, since it drops in every armor weight and jewelry can be any of the 3 primary traits. There are also no Dolmens or Public Dungeons in these zones, so many pieces only come from chests. It also drops in training trait, ensuring every piece must be transmuted to be useful (with the exception of a few quest rewards). It should really have some value if someone goes through all this effort, and especially if it’s going to be sold as end game gold jewelry.

Note: This set in a previous form gave 2500 of each resource on the 5pc bonus, which was slightly overpowered, and exceeds my recommended values by 500-700 of each resource. A nerf was justified, but not by the amount received.
Edited by WrathOfInnos on November 12, 2019 11:47PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Showing up at the Golden vendor doesn’t have any meaning. All overland sets are eligible to appear there, even though most of them have no value. It’s not an intentional choice or message by Zeni.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume its offered in all three stats because it drops in all three stats AND the armor sets drop in all three weights.

That's in contrast to sets like Briarheart or Pariah, where the jewelry drops in all three traits but the armor drops in medium and heavy respectively. Accordingly, the Golden Vendor offers Briarheart in Robust and Pariah in Healthy.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume its offered in all three stats because it drops in all three stats AND the armor sets drop in all three weights.

That's in contrast to sets like Briarheart or Pariah, where the jewelry drops in all three traits but the armor drops in medium and heavy respectively. Accordingly, the Golden Vendor offers Briarheart in Robust and Pariah in Healthy.

Yes I agree, and the fact that Briarheart appeared in the Golden Vendor with just robust and Trainee appeared with all 3 traits is evidence that there is a human at ZOS making these decisions with some logic and reasoning, not just a computer choosing a line from a spreadsheet at random. There has always been a lot of mystery and debate about how Golden Vendor items are chosen, especially when the same pieces end up available multiple times over a short duration but their complementary set piece never does.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I agree, and the fact that Briarheart appeared in the Golden Vendor with just robust and Trainee appeared with all 3 traits is evidence that there is a human at ZOS making these decisions with some logic and reasoning, not just a computer choosing a line from a spreadsheet at random. There has always been a lot of mystery and debate about how Golden Vendor items are chosen, especially when the same pieces end up available multiple times over a short duration but their complementary set piece never does.

It can easily mean that the computer is picking from a spreadsheet at random.

It just means that a human wrote the spreadsheet, making the choice to include all three varieties of Trainee when it comes up on the Vendor, since its the one set that's designed to fit all three armor weights for new players.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It just means that a human wrote the spreadsheet, making the choice to include all three varieties of Trainee when it comes up on the Vendor, since its the one set that's designed to fit all three armor weights for new players.

Well sure, there’s no way to prove that one either way. I guess all I’m saying is that the concepts of “Trainee is a weak set intended only for new players that use it because they don’t know any better” and “Trainee gold jewelry is available this weekend only with a high price, so you can squeeze that last 1% out of your build over cheap purple jewelry” are incompatible in my mind. And it’s especially strange if you consider that the original design intent seemed to be “Trainee is a slightly better than average, jack of all trades set, to help new players do well”.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they should do is add increased experience (or increased experience to skill lines or something) to give it a unique use that is relevant to its name and purpose.

Making it craftable would also be of help to new and older players, since the set is only encountered in a few areas, and those areas are no longer starter areas (since we start in Vvardenfell/Summerset/Elsweyr now).

While the stats you proposed make numerical sense, they would overlap in purpose with Shacklebreaker (despite, yes, I know, not being identical)
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned by other forum-goers, I think you’re reading too much into the set’s appearance at the Golden, @WrathOfInnos.

ZOS wouldn’t have nerfed it for end game way back if they didn’t think it was intended for new characters only.

Sometimes the Golden can sell “lemons” ... she wouldn’t be a Khajiit if she didn’t. ;)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things worth knowing:
    1. This is not the first time Trainee has shown up in The Golden's inventory. The last time was before Summerset released as I recall.
    2. When One Tamriel first dropped the 5pc bonus on Trainee was much more generous. This made the set far more attractive to endgame players, and the 5pc bonus was eviscerated in a subsequent patch. During this time, Jakarn's Machete was briefly one of the most desirable CP160 items because this predated the transmutation system.

ZOS is well aware this set can be used in endgame content, but judging by the set's introduction, they never considered the possibility that endgame players would use it, ahead of One Tamriel's release.

EDIT: Since neither @Taleof2Cities, nor I, specified, the original 5pc bonus was something like +5k to each stat. It was bonkers.
    Edited by starkerealm on November 13, 2019 2:55AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned by other forum-goers, I think you’re reading too much into the set’s appearance at the Golden, @WrathOfInnos.

ZOS wouldn’t have nerfed it for end game way back if they didn’t think it was intended for new characters only.

Sometimes the Golden can sell “lemons” ... she wouldn’t be a Khajiit if she didn’t. ;)

1GTeLmH.jpg
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I agree with your conclusion the combat team has already made the statement they don't want this set to be particularly usable beyond early leveling by nerfing all the values when it was a desirable PvP set.

Playing since beta...
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the record this set used to have really fat stats and got nerfed because of it. The reason it had fat stats was hidden in the name, trainee, its a set that was meant for new players to use, which is why its balanced equally on hp,stam and magicka and it only comes with training trait. Except the jewelry obviously.

It was never really intended as a set for end game players to use ,some stamDks in particular liked this set a lot because their passives worked nice with high max stats back then,namely battle roar and helping hands, and trainee really had A LOT of extra max stats on it.

So after this set was nerfed , zenimax introduced shacklebreaker instead. While shacklebreaker was and still is a popular, its not really a core set for Dks anymore because the build synergy that made raw resource sets popular on Dk, namely the battle roar and helping hands got changed to flat resource return, which meant that having a fat stamina/magicka/hp bar didn't really mean better sustain anymore.

Its appearance on vendor is pure coincidence though.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on November 13, 2019 6:59PM
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well sure, there’s no way to prove that one either way. I guess all I’m saying is that the concepts of “Trainee is a weak set intended only for new players that use it because they don’t know any better” and “Trainee gold jewelry is available this weekend only with a high price, so you can squeeze that last 1% out of your build over cheap purple jewelry” are incompatible in my mind. And it’s especially strange if you consider that the original design intent seemed to be “Trainee is a slightly better than average, jack of all trades set, to help new players do well”.

Consider the monster set "Giant Spider" which was released by the Golden a while ago.

Post #37 from Gina: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/388399/golden-vendor-2018-01-05/p2

Not proof, but very circumstantially supportive that the Golden items are RNG and devs don't interfere, even when broken. This was probably some forgotten spawn of Mephala template that wasn't removed from the eligible list.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adding 10% XP bonus to the 5 piece would really improve this set's desirability for new players.
  • Beaverton
    Beaverton
    ✭✭✭
    This one has bugged me for a long time, but I’ve always halfway accepted the idea that trainee is intended to be a beginner set and have weak stats for end game. However, last weekend this theory was debunked when gold jewelry showed up in the Golden Vendor in Cyrodiil. It was clearly placed there deliberately, with a separate item for each of the 3 jewelry traits available (healthy, robust, and arcane). It was not some RNG computer algorithm that chose Trainee by mistake.

Armor of the Trainee
    (2) 1206 Health
    (3) 1096 Magicka
    (4) 1096 Stamina

Using the now standard way of calculating 5 pc bonuses, the actual bonuses should be:
    Health: 1206*2.32/3 = 925
    Magica/Stamina: 1096*2.32/3 = 850

Total bonus = 925 +850 + 850 = 2625

Compare this to Crafy Alfiq 5 pc bonus of 2560. Trainee gets more because the Health stat starts higher.

It seems to me it is exactly in line with every other set they redid recently.
    Chook (fill in the blank) or Chookana (likewise): I learn more by dying so teach me some more!
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beaverton wrote: »

Armor of the Trainee
    (2) 1206 Health
    (3) 1096 Magicka
    (4) 1096 Stamina

Using the now standard way of calculating 5 pc bonuses, the actual bonuses should be:
    Health: 1206*2.32/3 = 925
    Magica/Stamina: 1096*2.32/3 = 850

Total bonus = 925 +850 + 850 = 2625

Compare this to Crafy Alfiq 5 pc bonus of 2560. Trainee gets more because the Health stat starts higher.

It seems to me it is exactly in line with every other set they redid recently.

But that is only considering the 5pc bonus. The issue is partially caused by the 2-4 piece bonuses being mixed between 3 stats without any compensation in magnitude (exactly the same issue that killed Twice Born Star once Mundus Stones were balanced).
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the mistake is in your expectations of a parallel. The Tristan glyphs are meant to be objectively superior to single stat glyphs. It is why they are tremendously rarer and more expensive on broker. The only way a single stat is preferred is when you want to sacrifice overall power for heightened specialization. Like trial dps.

The armor sets, in contrast are meant to be balanced.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the mistake is in your expectations of a parallel. The Tristan glyphs are meant to be objectively superior to single stat glyphs. It is why they are tremendously rarer and more expensive on broker. The only way a single stat is preferred is when you want to sacrifice overall power for heightened specialization. Like trial dps.

The armor sets, in contrast are meant to be balanced.

Yeah, I spend most of my time as trial DPS, so can confirm that single stat is best there. I likely would never use Trainee even if it were buffed significantly. It’s just such a strange and unique set (drops from multiple zones, only with a single armor trait, but multiple jewelry traits and armor weights). It’s a shame that it can’t be made useful to new players at least, if not also some niche hybrid end game builds.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trainee could definitely use a buff but using the golden as a reason isn’t a good one. Majority of the year the Golden is complete trash. It will be two shoulders and three RP sets that make you move faster if you fart on a new moon or something similarly stupid. But that also is because the game has an abundance of trash sets.

But yeah Trainee needs buffed.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Consider the monster set "Giant Spider" which was released by the Golden a while ago.

Post #37 from Gina: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/388399/golden-vendor-2018-01-05/p2

Not proof, but very circumstantially supportive that the Golden items are RNG and devs don't interfere, even when broken. This was probably some forgotten spawn of Mephala template that wasn't removed from the eligible list.

Yeah, Giant Spider became Swarm Mother during a PTS cycle.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A couple of sets exist in all of the 3 original jewelry traits, because they exist in all armor weights. A set that exists in heavy comes with Healthy jewelry. A set that exists in medium comes with Robust jewelry. A set that exists in light comes with Arcane jewelry. There is no mystery here and I highly doubt there was any human intervention on the weekend that Trainee was sold. Imperial Physique and, I'm pretty sure, Bahraha's Curse are two other sets like this.

Foods that give all stats and sets that include both stam and mag in a 5-piece (Shackle / Amber Plasm) are all fairly stat-dense, as the value of having all stats is limited. Even in PvP you usually wouldn't stack all Prismatics plus a set like Shacklebreaker or Trainee plus tri-food, unless it was a hybrid build. Trainee is fairly in line with other sets of this kind on paper, see here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/427111/stat-based-armor-set-rankings

That post is out of date, but still correct in regard to Trainee / Shackle / Amber. However I recommend you test the set. I tested it post nerf, which is quite a long time ago at this stage. It says it gives 1250 stam. It does not. It gives less. The 5-piece gave less stam than 1x Selene and I presume it's the same with the other stats. The set is either incorrectly implemented, was nerfed even more excessively than stated or possibly didn't interact properly with racial and CP modifiiers we had back in the day. I can only recommend re-testing, if you have it and plan on using it.
    Edited by fred4 on November 14, 2019 6:38AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    A couple of sets exist in all of the 3 original jewelry traits, because they exist in all armor weights. A set that exists in heavy comes with Healthy jewelry. A set that exists in medium comes with Robust jewelry. A set that exists in light comes with Arcane jewelry. There is no mystery here and I highly doubt there was any human intervention on the weekend that Trainee was sold. Imperial Physique and, I'm pretty sure, Bahraha's Curse are two other sets like this.

Foods that give all stats and sets that include both stam and mag in a 5-piece (Shackle / Amber Plasm) are all fairly stat-dense, as the value of having all stats is limited. Even in PvP you usually wouldn't stack all Prismatics plus a set like Shacklebreaker or Trainee plus tri-food, unless it was a hybrid build. Trainee is fairly in line with other sets of this kind on paper, see here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/427111/stat-based-armor-set-rankings

That post is out of date, but still correct in regard to Trainee / Shackle / Amber. However I recommend you test the set. I tested it post nerf, which is quite a long time ago at this stage. It says it gives 1250 stam. It does not. It gives less. The 5-piece gave less stam than 1x Selene and I presume it's the same with the other stats. The set is either incorrectly implemented, was nerfed even more excessively than stated or possibly didn't interact properly with racial and CP modifiiers we had back in the day. I can only recommend re-testing, if you have it and plan on using it.

Yeah, it used to be one of the several sets that had a 5pc bonus unaffected by the 20% resource multiplier from CP’s. I believe these were all fixed earlier this year (at the same time this 20% changed from multiplicative to additive), but I don’t have a set of Trainee to test.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Adding 10% XP bonus to the 5 piece would really improve this set's desirability for new players.

Or make it scale up to level 50 as you level up. Cause uh... why not?
  • brtomkin
    brtomkin
    ✭✭✭

Armor of the Trainee
    (2) 1206 Health
    (3) 1096 Magicka
    (4) 1096 Stamina

So it gives a total of:
    - 2456 Health
    - 2346 Magicka
    - 2346 Stamina

It is basically a tri-stat glyph or Triune trait in set form. However the values don’t seem to be balanced in this sense. If we compare it to sets like Crafty Alfiq (5848 Magicka) or Draugr Hulk (5848 Stamina), and use the general formula seen with Triune trait or Prismatic Glyphs:

1 Magicka = 1 Stamina = 1.1 Health = 0.5 Magicka + 0.5 Stamina + 0.55 Health

Then a tri-stat armor set should give with all the set bonuses combined:
    - 5848 x 0.55 = 3216 Health
    - 5848x 0.5 = 2924 Magicka
    - 5848 x 0.5 = 2924 Stamina

Another way to calculate this would be to use the general rule that a 5pc set bonus is equal to 2.32 standard set bonuses. So the combined bonuses on a 5pc set should equal 1+1+1+2.32 = 5.32 standard set bonuses. Looking at the Stonekeeper 1pc we see that a standard tri-stat set bonus is 548 Magicka + 548 Stamina + 603 Health. If we multiply this by 5.32, we can see a 5pc two stat set should give a total (across 2,3,4, and 5 piece bonuses) of:
    - 603 x 5.32 = 3208 Health
    - 548 x 5.32 = 2915 Magicka
    - 548 x 5.32 = 2915 Stamina

Notice that these values are extremely close to the previous method, and far from the existing Trainee set totals.

If we were to keep the existing 2-4 piece bonuses and absorb the new total resource values into the Trainee 5pc set it would look something like this:

(2) 1206 Health
    (3) 1096 Magicka
    (4) 1096 Stamina
    (5) 2010 Health + 1828 Magicka + 1828 Stamina

If I were redoing the set I’d actually take it a step further and shift some of the stat density out of the 5pc and into the 2-4pc bonuses to each be tri-stat. It could be:
    (2) 603 Health + 548 Mag + 548 Stam
    (3) 603 Health + 548 Mag + 548 Stam
    (4) 603 Health + 548 Mag + 548 Stam
    (5) 1407 Health + 1280 Mag + 1280 Stam

Additionally, it would more closely follow the provisioning food "rules" and the pattern of other resource sets:

Green Food (Health 6195 or Stam/Mag 5670)-> Blue Food (Stam and Mag 4635) -> Purple Food (Health 4462, Magicka 4105 and Stamina 4105)

Plague Doctor or Hulking Drauger/Crafty Alfiq (3000 Health or 2560 Stam/Mag)-> Shacklebreaker (2000 Stam and 2000 Mag) -> Revised Trainee (2000 Health and 1840 Stam and 1840 Mag)

PS5 NA: Pickmans__Model, CP 2000+
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO they overnerfed it back in 2017 to keep higher level players from overrunning lowbie zones where it drops from chests. Already too many high level players farming mats in those zones as it is.
  • kollege14a5
    kollege14a5
    ✭✭✭
    Was once overperforming and when something is overperforming ZOS overnerfs it so no one uses it anymore rather than slightly nerfing it so it is still a good set
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

Yeah, it used to be one of the several sets that had a 5pc bonus unaffected by the 20% resource multiplier from CP’s. I believe these were all fixed earlier this year (at the same time this 20% changed from multiplicative to additive), but I don’t have a set of Trainee to test.

Not exactly how I remember it, but when Trainee was first released it was very clear no one internally had thought about the implications of CP160 players hoovering up the set and running with it. I never checked if the set had a weird interaction with CP back then, but this set was kind ludicrous back in the day.