Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

PvP mindset and 1vXing

• jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    fred4 wrote: »
    You only need to watch a live stream or longer video from some small-scalers / 1vXers, for example Khyleo, to see him vehemently QQ about it. Of course, in his mind, he doesn't view it that way. What he says is: "Look at that player over there: He's zerging. So sad. He didn't use to do that. The culture in this game has really gone to s h * t." I am paraphrasing.

Recently a player picked me up in IC and I had some great AvAs with him and his mate. After about an hour I was unceremoniously dumped from the group. I queried that. Apparently the main reason was that I attacked everyone, whereas they did not.

I find YouTube montages very misleading. From my ingame perspective, I quite often see an unorganised zerg trying to kill a 1vXer or some small-scalers and failing miserably. In those cases I jump in and frequently end up scoring kills. I have no qualms about zerging. I play for my faction. I am the kind of person Khyleo would complain about, if I played on his server and he knew me.

This game is divided into various cliques. There is what I would loosely call the small-scaler establishment. It isn't a single monolithic entity, but as in the above example some top players will not engage each other for various reasons, be it that they have cross-faction friends or a code of honor. That's fine, but people can get themselves into the mindset that the rules and norms from their social bubble should apply to the whole game and become rather toxic as a result.

This is against the backdrop of fighting outnumbered being really hard. It's arguably only made possible by fighting relatively unskilled and unorganised players. Everyone admits that, I think. What is less talked about is that open-world encounters aren't entirely random, because the good players, who happen to be on the scene, may be in the 1vXers social bubble and, therefore, leave them alone. I think this may be a contributary factor to your observation that 1vXers only ever fight the same groups of unskilled or mediocre players - ones from a different bubble.

As an aside, I main a cloaking nightblade. I think players who do that are perhaps outsiders by disposition and gravitated towards the class for that reason. I sure did. It's perhaps one more reason why "everyone" hates nightblades.

When people QQ, when they tell you that you are a zergling and challenge you to a duel after they died, a part of that comes from their indignation that you have broken the rules of their bubble. 1vXing is hard, but it shouldn't be this hard, right? In my view, I am keeping them honest.

Oh yeah, THAT. Well...they were 1vXing until they died. THEN they got zerged down lol.

People out there trying to protect their fragile little egos.

Are small scalers or 1vX primarily blue and red? I am an equal opportunity killer and attack anyone who isn’t on my faction, but I see blue and red not fight each other all the time. I’ve also never met someone in game who’s against faction locks as an AD on PC-NA, but lots of people complain about it on the forums.

As a guess, are people who dislike faction locks and 1vX mainly people who like jumping between red and blue... on PC-NA?

It’s hard to tell because maybe other factions see AD do the same things, but I’m not one of them.

Red and blue not fight each other lol, surely you on not on na,pc.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usually u do not even win 1 vs 2 if u facing 2 players with equivalent skill. maybe u are lucky and able to burst 1 very fast down. but good player are able to survive.

1 vs x means that u fight worse players.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every once in awhile I find the perfect cluster of potato's. They spread out, I kite and kill one by one. Then they try to rez which makes it easier to interrupt and finish them off. After, I clip and save for later time when I need a ego boost after getting wrecked by a better player. I also make fries....
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of things I dislike about zerging is fighting over getting one hit in before my teammates kill a bad guy (that's not fun for me). The other thing is lag. I'd rather be outnumbered then part of a super zerg mainly because of these two reasons.
  • psypanda
    psypanda
    ✭✭✭
    lmao arent you (OP) the guy who also made the "Anti-Kite Build" thread?
    edit: omg yes you are :D:D:D
    Edited by psypanda on November 11, 2019 7:28PM
    President of the official Lucina Civello Fanclub
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1vX montages is really just one experienced player fighting a bunch of noobs. What you don’t see, for that one perfect montage, is the endless hours of also getting stomped while fighting equal opponents or just straight running out luck (or trees to hide behind.)

The game ain’t rocket science. Play long enough and the perfect conditions will arise for you to record your own “1vX” montage.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psypanda and if you were being fair, I’m also the guy who posted a MagSorc kite build.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psypanda so not sure what you’re going for. But have a nice day. Also get gud scrub.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    @psypanda so not sure what you’re going for. But have a nice day. Also get gud scrub.

I think there should be a forum rule. People shouldn’t be allowed to comment on specs unless they know enough about the game to not run cookie cutter specs. They also shouldn’t be allowed to comment about their class’ strength.

I’m just waiting for the, ‘I have 5k weapon damage and 30k resistances’ post from someone in a couple months calling your spec OP.

One day, hopefully, people will realize that ALL the best specs are non-cookie cutter. Most people are their own worst enemies because they think they know more then they do.

I’d keep trying non-cookie cutter and not sweat any flak you get.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab im not sweating anything, I know enough about life and humility to know I’m not the best at anything (especially a vidya game).

I think the forum is full of people who watch YouTube vidyas, copy paste, and are successful for the most part against noobs or inexperienced players. A lot of those types of builds are one trick ponies. And a lot of the 1vXers are just misleading. It’s woefully obvious if you watch any montage clip, you’ll see them either fighting the same people, or a whole other 1vXer fighting those exact sample people/potatoes. It’s very rare I see a montage of a 1vXer fighting an experienced well known group, 2 or more.

Not to say there aren’t legitimate 1vXers, I’ve seen great ones on all alliances and it’s amazing what they can do. But it’s a very small percentage. Myself I’m pretty average, I still go for the more experienced groups, but typically only kill one before I get rekt. But I never whisper them or call them zerglings or something lame like that.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    fred4 wrote: »
    You only need to watch a live stream or longer video from some small-scalers / 1vXers, for example Khyleo, to see him vehemently QQ about it. Of course, in his mind, he doesn't view it that way. What he says is: "Look at that player over there: He's zerging. So sad. He didn't use to do that. The culture in this game has really gone to s h * t." I am paraphrasing.

Recently a player picked me up in IC and I had some great AvAs with him and his mate. After about an hour I was unceremoniously dumped from the group. I queried that. Apparently the main reason was that I attacked everyone, whereas they did not.

I find YouTube montages very misleading. From my ingame perspective, I quite often see an unorganised zerg trying to kill a 1vXer or some small-scalers and failing miserably. In those cases I jump in and frequently end up scoring kills. I have no qualms about zerging. I play for my faction. I am the kind of person Khyleo would complain about, if I played on his server and he knew me.

This game is divided into various cliques. There is what I would loosely call the small-scaler establishment. It isn't a single monolithic entity, but as in the above example some top players will not engage each other for various reasons, be it that they have cross-faction friends or a code of honor. That's fine, but people can get themselves into the mindset that the rules and norms from their social bubble should apply to the whole game and become rather toxic as a result.

This is against the backdrop of fighting outnumbered being really hard. It's arguably only made possible by fighting relatively unskilled and unorganised players. Everyone admits that, I think. What is less talked about is that open-world encounters aren't entirely random, because the good players, who happen to be on the scene, may be in the 1vXers social bubble and, therefore, leave them alone. I think this may be a contributary factor to your observation that 1vXers only ever fight the same groups of unskilled or mediocre players - ones from a different bubble.

As an aside, I main a cloaking nightblade. I think players who do that are perhaps outsiders by disposition and gravitated towards the class for that reason. I sure did. It's perhaps one more reason why "everyone" hates nightblades.

When people QQ, when they tell you that you are a zergling and challenge you to a duel after they died, a part of that comes from their indignation that you have broken the rules of their bubble. 1vXing is hard, but it shouldn't be this hard, right? In my view, I am keeping them honest.

Oh yeah, THAT. Well...they were 1vXing until they died. THEN they got zerged down lol.

People out there trying to protect their fragile little egos.

Are small scalers or 1vX primarily blue and red? I am an equal opportunity killer and attack anyone who isn’t on my faction, but I see blue and red not fight each other all the time. I’ve also never met someone in game who’s against faction locks as an AD on PC-NA, but lots of people complain about it on the forums.

As a guess, are people who dislike faction locks and 1vX mainly people who like jumping between red and blue... on PC-NA?

It’s hard to tell because maybe other factions see AD do the same things, but I’m not one of them.

I think it’s more like the guy said before: the lil rule where you leave certain people alone. I think it started because folks don’t want to die. They want to happily hunt unskilled players and try to kill them outnumbered.

I can count on my hand the number of players who can actually fight and kill skillful players solo, PCNA. The rest are purposely fighting potatoes.

I agree with you. If you set foot in Cyro, be prepared to fight. If you run around Cyro completely solo looking to fight outnumbered, FIGHT OUTNUMBERED then. Don’t whine when you die!

Well I leave certain folks in certain situations to, but the reasoning behind it is completely different.

First thing I always consider is are they just farming potatoes or trying to push for the campaign score. If they farm I leave them alone, if they are pushing for score, I'll do whatever I can to stop them.

And now, why I leave them when they are farming potatoes? Because I fought most of them 1v1 at some point, and usually those fights lasted very long or was draws mostly thus I have no interest in running few minutes around the tower to kill one guy. There is also matter of respect to. Some of these players are really nice people, who understand that it's only a game so I don't want to disturb them.

E.g. I helped many of them to take towns my alliance owned, because they just wanted to buy gear, then I watched their backs so they won't get ganked when on merchant or in eq.

Yes we can compete and stay polite to eachother at the same time, this is real sportsmanship... And on longer run it pays of. When you respect some unwritten rules, you benefit from it to, because those people won't jump on you when you 1v1 someone, or won't try hard Xv1 you.

And don't be afraid that if you stay polite to people you will have no one to fight with. There is far more trash players who are or are trying to be as toxic as possible. Kill them.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's like most 1vX montages on youtube anyways, usually against potatos. Followed by "I might release my OP build if my IG gets 1,000 likes and shares...."
    Edited by Goregrinder on November 12, 2019 7:02PM
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's like most 1vX montages on youtube anyways, usually against potatos. Followed by "I might release my OP build if my IG gets 1,000 likes and shares...."

And after 1000 likes they release their very original 7th+Fury+BS build.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    1vX has always been about finding several players that are very inferior to you in either skill or gear, and beat them.

Logically, if you try to fight just two people with whom you would normally have a prolonged 30 sec + long duel with, before finishing, you have zero chance at winning that 1v2 fight.

There is then the odd thing about gear. If you manage to pack enough cheese, you may be able to do a 1vX with players of same skill - because your gear is elevating you to a higher bracket.

But basically equal skill and equal gear means that you can take on only one enemy. End of story.

——

Oh right, and for the question;

No i would never QQ. I could rage a bit to myself if the loss was due to lag or something like that. But being killed in 1vX scenarios happens all the time. Even when you die, it is often still a small victory, because maybe you managed to take out 3 of the 6 opponents before taking an unlucky ulti combo or something. For a 1vX’er there can be victory even in death.

this
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most complain about tank meta and get mad when 6 30k health 40k resists players pile on and nibble them to death. Good 1vX is someone landing a good 3 piece combo and 2/3 crit, one decent healer can mess this up.

Here's a good idea, bring a spotter nightblade. Chances are if you find that group of taters getting carried by a decent healer you can FF the healer and then 1vX.