The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Combat Has Never Felt So Weak

FearlessOne_2014
FearlessOne_2014
✭✭✭✭✭
- Less damage

- Less mobility

- Less sustain

- Less pressure

- Less self heals

Discuss!
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll a templar.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Icky wrote: »
    Roll a templar.

Don't you mean mag sorc? :D
  • Sorbin
    Sorbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc, magplar, magdk and magnecro all feel really strong in some way or another right now so not sure what you're on about.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same. I don’t think half the people in this part of the forum know what the hell they are talking about.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an indisputable fact that Stamina builds across the board have abilities that hit harder for less cost. Stam also benefits more from the fact that melee abilities are typically stronger than ranged abilities. This really hurts Mag builds other than Templar and DK, because we don't even have a melee weapon line!

Magicka ultimates are terrible compared to Stamina. Stam builds grumble constantly about the minuscule cast time on Dawnbreaker, but any Mag build would be ecstatic if we had a Magicka Dawnbreaker. Half the time I have defensive ultimates like Temporal Guard on BOTH bars, that's how bad the offensive Magicka ults are.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka ultimates are terrible compared to Stamina. Stam builds grumble constantly about the minuscule cast time on Dawnbreaker, but any Mag build would be ecstatic if we had a Magicka Dawnbreaker. Half the time I have defensive ultimates like Temporal Guard on BOTH bars, that's how bad the offensive Magicka ults are.

Uh... well you make some good points but I don’t really see anyone slotting temporal guard on both bars.... It is still better to cast a damage or healing ultimate like destro or resto ult than slotting 2 temporal guards. However, stam DPS in trials etc are definitely higher across the board than mag though.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both stam and mag are fine.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    The top two class in PvP right now are Magsorc and Magplar, magicka has the best access to heals right now which is really over performing due to nerfing damage and dots across the board. Complaining about mag class right now sounds like your either playing a weaker class that's not as easy as the top two or a l2p issue.
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's indisputable that MagSorc is the best PvP class in the game.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorbin wrote: »
    Magsorc, magplar, magdk and magnecro all feel really strong in some way or another right now so not sure what you're on about.

Agreed. MagWarden too but less so outside healing builds, I haven’t played MagWarden this patch but don’t think anything’s changed:

Strong vs ranged and weak vs melee. Maybe a tanky magwarden could work, haven’t tried it.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 11, 2019 2:02PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L2p
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »
    It's indisputable that MagSorc is the best PvP class in the game.

This is very disputable. Magsorc is potentially strong. But for every remotely threatening Magsorc I meet in no CP, there is a Stamplar, a Stamden, a StamDK, and a Magplar that I'd consider more dangerous. A decent Magsorc is often a draw for me, with Petsorcs being an utter annoyance because of targetable pets.

Actually, if you subtract the players wich only zerg to an extent where it doesn't matter what class they play, there seem to be only a few Magsorc running around in open world no CP.

Maybe it's really time to change Endless Fury into an generic execute to half the number of complaints.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinxxND wrote: »
    The top two class in PvP right now are Magsorc and Magplar, magicka has the best access to heals right now which is really over performing due to nerfing damage and dots across the board. Complaining about mag class right now sounds like your either playing a weaker class that's not as easy as the top two or a l2p issue.

magsorc mentioned along magplar :neutral:
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

You cant honestly think magplar is better than magsorc for solo
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorbin wrote: »

Fearless has been belly aching about the stamina god mode “meta” for ages. Literally never once have they made a legitimate post or comment. They actually have a few YT vids posted. Some show a multi pet sorc and another features a perma stealthing stamblade refusing to fight a single stam dk on a rss flag with no guards around. So, that’ll tell ya all you need to know. I can never tell who is more biased towards Magicka, Fearless2014 or Emma_Overload. Speaking of...
    It's an indisputable fact that Stamina builds across the board have abilities that hit harder for less cost. Stam also benefits more from the fact that melee abilities are typically stronger than ranged abilities. This really hurts Mag builds other than Templar and DK, because we don't even have a melee weapon line!

If you’re running around with Temporal guard on both bars that’s because you’re so bad. Meteor or Atro would serve you far better on your offensive bar. Also plenty of mag abilities hit just as hard as stam. Let’s not start a tooltip war. Magicka sorc is top tier right now, isn’t that your class lol. No one on this forum, or indeed the entire game, except perhaps Fearless, is as dedicated to blaming their failures on Stamins classes.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Age of stamina. You do not have to fear cc anymore because cc is so so expensive and breaking it is not.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trancestor wrote: »

If only cyrodiil worked around purely soloing and on top didn´t allow any interaction with with friendly players at all. /sarcasm

Apart from that the comment i quoted did not mention solo play. It simply stated top two classes in pvp. Which means everything in my book.

I do think magplar is on par with magsorc for soloing this patch if you know what you´re doing.
    Then i also think magplar is ahead of sorc for any form of pvp that is not solo (except for the obligatory negate monkey - thank god negate is a sorc ultimate).
    Which is a little frustrating from a sorc perspective - wouldn´t you agree?
    Edited by Derra on November 11, 2019 5:31PM
    <Noricum>

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If only cyrodiil worked around purely soloing and on top didn´t allow any interaction with with friendly players at all. /sarcasm

Apart from that the comment i quoted did not mention solo play. It simply stated top two classes in pvp. Which means everything in my book.

I do think magplar is on par with magsorc for soloing this patch if you know what you´re doing.
    Then i also think magplar is ahead of sorc for any form of pvp that is not solo (except for the obligatory negate monkey - thank god negate is a sorc ultimate).

There is nothing weaker about sorc from a healing or damage perspective then other classes for group pvp.

Maybe you should getting out of your comfort zone and try more of your class, guild, and weapon abilities. To me it sounds like you’re complaining because you’re not specing for the setting, in which case your problem is between the monitor and keyboard.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

There is nothing weaker about sorc from a healing or damage perspective then other classes for group pvp.

Maybe you should getting out of your comfort zone and try more of your class, guild, and weapon abilities. To me it sounds like you’re complaining because you’re not specing for the setting, in which case your problem is between the monitor and keyboard.

Why should a sorc have to create specific builds for a specific task - which then make you significantly weaker in other scenarios - when other classes don´t have to bc the utility is embedded in core skills they slot either way when talking about grpsizes up to 4?

To me that statement sounds biased as can be.

Telling me the problem is between monitor and keyboard is just the ad hominem cherry on top of a not well thought out argument.
    Idk what i should expect of someone who apparently sits between their keyboard and monitor though.
    <Noricum>

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why should a sorc have to create specific builds for a specific task - which then make you significantly weaker in other scenarios - when other classes don´t have to bc the utility is embedded in core skills they slot either way when talking about grpsizes up to 4?

Telling me the problem is between monitor and keyboard is just the ad hominem cherry on top of a not well thought out argument.
    Idk what i should expect of someone who apparently sits between their keyboard and monitor though.

There isn’t a class in the game, mag or stam, that plays the same spec solo as in a group. You’re basicly complaining that you need to level all your class and guild skills to do well, like every other person in the game does. It has nothing to do with sorc or not.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All classes are pretty strong if played in the right hands, regardless of its source damage pool. I’d venture to say perhaps OP needs to experiment more.
    Edited by khajiitNPC on November 12, 2019 4:06PM
  • allan0n
    allan0n
    ✭✭✭

It's also an indisputable fact that Magicka builds overall have much more utility, the ability to dish out amazing heals for themselves and their group members with class skills and resto line, and have much more skills that hit you from afar and hence require less effort to zerg people down with, which is all you see in cyrodiil. I've seen more magsorcs and to a lesser extent magplars than ever before so obviously yall aren't doing that bad.

Everyone just faction stacks and healing is simply too strong with how heavy handed Zos was with the dot nerf. Couple that together with the fact that that magicka players are about the only ones with reliable group heals and you have a bunch of unkillable turds who can only kill you with 200 weak aoes and magsorcs blowing you up from the back. Stamina has it's OP aspects as well likea bigger stam pool for CC break and dodge rolling but most players offset that by zerging. Rally and the new vigors self heal is also too strong with how low dmg is, but I'd say magicka is king in this meta unless you're 1v1ing or just envy the ability to quickly sprint from a keep as the unkillable magicka hordes take everything.

If you double slot Temporal Guard on anything, then you're a fool and have no one to blame but yourself. I can only assume you're a magsorc based on your name and how you always claim to be underpowered despite consistently being one of the most powerful things in the game. I'm not buying this "we have no ult choices" crap. I've mained a Stamsorc for as long as I've been playing this game, but I've played a lot of everything besides necros and magden. Please tell me what viable ults do I have that actually scale off weapon crit and related cp? There's Onslaught which is great and DB which is awkward and not worth using anymore.

Magsorcs have
    Meteor - it was always worth slotting but even more so now with unblockable streak
    Negate - is arguably the best ultimate in the game and it's heals and dmg scale off of spell crit and related cp. It's also significantly more helpful in this tank meta.
    Atro - people that use this are pathetic but its effective at spreading people out and tanking attacks for you
    Overload - this is a shadow of how op it used to be buts it's still decent even if I'd never slot it over meteor.

Then you have ults like resto, destro ult, barrier, MUH BATS, SA which I admit I've never used and Shield Wall which is good on anything stam or mag

Tldr: Magicka can attack from a distance and can heal each other which makes them king in tanky zerg meta and some people need to step outside of their comfort zones and play other classes and specs.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn’t a class in the game, mag or stam, that plays the same spec solo as in a group. You’re basicly complaining that you need to level all your class and guild skills to do well, like every other person in the game does. It has nothing to do with sorc or not.

Which is again oversimplifying what i say to fit your agenda. This is called a strawman argument.

Do you even want to have a realistic argument or are you just here to talk down to people on a topic you obviously don´t seem to fully understand to begin with?

<Noricum>

• itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past I've certainly felt it to be true that Stam classes had an innate advantage with higher burst/mobility but in this patch I feel like my MagTemp can hang with any other class.
    With the removal of CC from Dizzy stam classes are much less cheesy. A high mobility build might still run circles around me but at least they can't spam one move that does high damage until they finally CC me because I run out of Stam from blocking. And I feel like Toppling/Crescent Sweep /Puncturing Sweep/Radiant Oppression is as good or better than just about any other burst combo out there so when I get into it with a StamWarden now it comes down to who manages their resources and times their burst better.
    I was really apprehensive when I read the PTS patch notes but I must say I'm actually very happy with the overall balance of this patch now I've played it. Now if they could just fix the crashes, lag, and bugs we'd be in an amazing place.
    Edited by itscompton on November 12, 2019 12:57PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Which is again oversimplifying what i say to fit your agenda. This is called a strawman argument.

Do you even want to have a realistic argument or are you just here to talk down to people on a topic you obviously don´t seem to fully understand to begin with?

What agenda, I play mag classes pretty exclusively except I sometimes take my stamwarden healer out for a spin.

To say magsorc has issues in larger groups is wrong - full stop.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magicka ultimates are terrible compared to stamina ultimates? Laughs in soul harvest, northern storm, crescent sweeps and restro ulti.

Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Van_Winkle
    Van_Winkle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »

Magicka ultimates are terrible compared to stamina ultimates? Laughs in soul harvest, northern storm, crescent sweeps and restro ulti.

Lol. Soul Harvest is nothing compared to Onslaught, and who even attacks you with that? I see magicka nb's once in a month, when moon and stars in the sky on the right positions. Northern storm? Yea, may be. Crescent sweeps ok, because mana templars now is too OK. Restro ult? This isn't even funny... What's have poor stamina builds - Dawnbreaker, Onslaught, Ballista, Dragon Leap (which is always much more powerfull in stamina), cheap ult from shield line, Incap with silence. So, we have 2 ults against 6...
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Van_Winkle wrote: »
    Rikumaru wrote: »

Lol. Soul Harvest is nothing compared to Onslaught, and who even attacks you with that? I see magicka nb's once in a month, when moon and stars in the sky on the right positions. Northern storm? Yea, may be. Crescent sweeps ok, because mana templars now is too OK. Restro ult? This isn't even funny... What's have poor stamina builds - Dawnbreaker, Onslaught, Ballista, Dragon Leap (which is always much more powerfull in stamina), cheap ult from shield line, Incap with silence. So, we have 2 ults against 6...

Ok lets go over this shall we?

Nightblade:

Soul harvest vs incap:

Soul harvest > incap. It gives major defile, while incap gives the enemy a free CC break (at 120 ultimate). People would start crying for stamblade to be nerfed if incap ever gained major defile again. As for onslaught vs soul harvest, the majority of stamblades use incap over onslaught so why on earth would people start using onslaught than soul harvest?

Sorcerer:

All the ultimates for sorcerer are magicka ultimates.

Dragonknight:

Stamina have better ultimates than magicka for this spec with corrosive armor and take flight.

Warden:

Magicka has northern storm. Stamina has nothing, though funnily enough they often also use northern storm (in no cp).

Templar:

Has crescent sweeps, one of the hardest hitting ultimates in the game for just 75 ultimate. Would trade onslaught or dawnbreaker any day for this ultimate.

Necromancer:

Pestilent Colossus vs Glacial Colossus:

Both ultimates seem pretty useful and equal with the stamina one dealing a bit more damage and the magicka one stunning on last hit.

Skill lines:

Shield: Both magicka and stamina can viably use the shield skill line though stamina classes benefit more from the shield ulti than magicka ones.
    Bow: Balista is rarely used since the bow skill line is pretty mediocre on any stamina spec which isn't stamblade. If used though, it is indeed a pretty good single target ultimate.
    Duel Wield: Useless ultimate.
    Two handed: A strong burst ultimate which gives a window of high damage.
    Restoration Staff: One of the best defensive ultimates in the game.
    Destruction Staff: Costs too much and does too little.

Guild Skill lines:

Dawnbreaker: Useless since the cast time was added to it.
    Meteor: Costs too much and does too little.

So in conclusion:
    4/6 of the classes ultimates favor magicka while 1 favor stamina.
    1/6 of the skill lines favor magicka while 2-3 favor stamina.
    Both guild skill line ultimates are weak.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What agenda, I play mag classes pretty exclusively except I sometimes take my stamwarden healer out for a spin.

To say magsorc has issues in larger groups is wrong - full stop.

And would you quote me where i make such a statement - without pulling anything out of context - if you may?
    Otherwise this is another beautiful strawman.

Your agenda is simply wanting me to be in the wrong - which is why you have to alter all my statements.
    Why you feel the need for that - idk.

I´m playing all mag classes myself solo and in smallgrp. Larger (anything with harmony) only very limited with sorc and dk.
    Edited by Derra on November 14, 2019 12:10PM
    <Noricum>

• StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I find it ironic that your forum name contains a sorc exclusive ultimate that can easily deal 6k+ dmg, returns magicka per hit, can be weaved with other skills, is cheap and usually very effective against mediocre to average players. Yet you don't slot it on your bar because...?

I also find it strange that you would want a magicka dawnbreaker when magblade has soul harvest, magdk has leap, magplar has crescent sweep, magden has permafrost, and magcro has colossus, all of which are 10 times better with respect to their own offensive capability.

I'm very curious to know why you think that way.
    Edited by StaticWave on November 13, 2019 8:19PM
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc