The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

please change the crafting style order

xilfxlegion
xilfxlegion
✭✭✭✭✭
please change the crafting style order to alphabetical instead of the hodge podge way it is now.

when there were only like 10 styles it wasnt a problem --- but its a pain now
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    please change the crafting style order to alphabetical instead of the hodge podge way it is now.

when there were only like 10 styles it wasnt a problem --- but its a pain now

Yes, arbitrary motif numbers don't help you find anything.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure whether the reference to the motif numbers was supposed to be sarcastic, but yes, motif numbers can help you figure out how far you'll need to scroll to the right to find the style you're looking for-- if you've got the two filter checkboxes unchecked so every style is shown regardless of whether you've learned it yet and have the style material.

But if either of those two filters are checked, and since the motif number isn't shown in the scrolling list of styles, and the master writs don't mention the motif number, having the option to display the list in alphabetical order would be very helpful.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether the reference to the motif numbers was supposed to be sarcastic, but yes, motif numbers can help you figure out how far you'll need to scroll to the right to find the style you're looking for-- if you've got the two filter checkboxes unchecked so every style is shown regardless of whether you've learned it yet and have the style material.

But if either of those two filters are checked, and since the motif number isn't shown in the scrolling list of styles, and the master writs don't mention the motif number, having the option to display the list in alphabetical order would be very helpful.

I was not being sarcastic. If you're crafting, say, no motif numbers are shown. If the writ requirement is for Ashlander, it's hard to remember that Ashlander is #48 but it comes way after Assassin's League (#34). Anequinina, which comes way after both of them, is #73. 73! It's cumbersome and confusing. We need alphabetical sorting both ways so we can get to the Xivkyn end just as quickly.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just alphabetical order, maybe also a way to jump to a specific style, like a dropdown box we can choose from, or even just a list of letters so we can click on "R" for example and jump to the first style that starts with "R," or something like that.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure what you guys are talking about with numbers, maybe it’s your PC add-ons that are the problem.

On PS4 there are just the names, and I assume they are in the order in which they came out in the game. I know there are numbers associated with those but they are not visible to me.

The problem I have is that when I have one of the later styles to craft it means I have to hit the d-pad 40 or 50 times to get over to it to select it.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what you guys are talking about with numbers, maybe it’s your PC add-ons that are the problem.

On PS4 there are just the names, and I assume they are in the order in which they came out in the game. I know there are numbers associated with those but they are not visible to me.

The problem I have is that when I have one of the later styles to craft it means I have to hit the d-pad 40 or 50 times to get over to it to select it.

Every motif has a number, which is the order they appear when doing things like crafting. The problem is there's no connection between the motif number and what you see on the screen so it looks like there's no order at all. With 73 motifs now and no end in sight, the days of scrolling through motifs one at a time has to end, it's ridiculously clumsy and slow.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crafting_Motifs
    PC NA, PC EU

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't a bigger problem, styles appear by order of release.

This might be a "problem" for some, alphabetic order can be a "problem" for others...
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphabetical order in whose language? The styles are currently in the same order for every player, no matter what language their game is set to. If the list needed to be in multiple orders for the various supported UI languages, then it's significantly more work to create a custom list for each one. And that must be re-done every time new styles are introduced. The one-time translation of the name is a lot less work.

Add-ons that do the selection work for you would be the way to go.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Every motif has a number, which is the order they appear when doing things like crafting. The problem is there's no connection between the motif number and what you see on the screen so it looks like there's no order at all. With 73 motifs now and no end in sight, the days of scrolling through motifs one at a time has to end, it's ridiculously clumsy and slow.

That's a nice list, but not all motifs appear in the order of release. I think everyone who does crafting knows that Imperial is not right after Argonian, but rather after Akaviri, iirc. The further out you go, it does seem to be the case, but early on, the order is a little wonky and not entirely by motif number.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Alphabetical order in whose language? The styles are currently in the same order for every player, no matter what language their game is set to. If the list needed to be in multiple orders for the various supported UI languages, then it's significantly more work to create a custom list for each one. And that must be re-done every time new styles are introduced. The one-time translation of the name is a lot less work.

Whose language? Whatever version of the game you're playing. More work? We have these things called computers that can sort trivial lists in a fraction of a second. And add-ons are no use for consoles.
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

That's a nice list, but not all motifs appear in the order of release. I think everyone who does crafting knows that Imperial is not right after Argonian, but rather after Akaviri, iirc. The further out you go, it does seem to be the case, but early on, the order is a little wonky and not entirely by motif number.

Damn, it does too. Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood come straight after Khajiit. Yet more reason to see this issue revisited, in my book.
    PC NA, PC EU

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

Whose language? Whatever version of the game you're playing. More work? We have these things called computers that can sort trivial lists in a fraction of a second. And add-ons are no use for consoles.
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Damn, it does too. Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood come straight after Khajiit. Yet more reason to see this issue revisited, in my book.

Yeah...I've never figured out the logic of the style order, esp. the early ones. It does seem to be fairly logical after a while and mostly by motif number, but early on? There's also a style in between Ancient Elf and Barbaric. Don't recall the name, but it's always struck me odd that there's a style in the middle of those four, not to mention the afore noted Imperial style, which is a launch motif that's well after a number of later-release motifs.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on October 22, 2019 7:58PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alternatively, they could make it so that when you scroll it actually keeps scrolling so you don't have to push a button several dozen times to get to the one you are looking for.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like there isn't agreement about the order motif styles should appear in. To me, alphabetical order is the most obvious and best choice because everyone knows the alphabet. If you play your game in a language that doesn't use the western (sorry, unsure of the proper name) alphabet, sorting in your language's alphabet should be available. I would like to see the option added to choose the sort.

Alphabetic (ascending)
    Alphabetic (descending)
    By style number (ascending)
    By style number (descending)

Also, show the numbers. Instead of "Silken Ring," for example, say "44 Silken Ring." That gives us an opportunity to see the numbers every day and become more familiar with them. I think we'd forget them less that way.

If we could easily toggle sorting options, it wouldn't be so cumbersome scrolling through all the styles. I'm not a coder so I don't know how hard it would be to add something like this. It would make a huge difference in gameplay though.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The way it is now, the first few style mats are the ones that are obtainable directly from farming mats without requiring 10 to refine. That is handy so I can just choose one of those more easily replaceable mats for the daily crafting writs. If the order is changed then those might be further down the list. I’d rather hit the d-pad multiple times for master writs than for all the daily writs.

The real problem is the huge number of styles and no end in sight.

I prefer to leave the order as it is, changing it now after so long is going to make things worse.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, show the numbers. Instead of "Silken Ring," for example, say "44 Silken Ring." That gives us an opportunity to see the numbers every day and become more familiar with them. I think we'd forget them less that way.

Yes, especially since the numbers are used when searching at guild traders. I mean, you could search by style name but that gives you everything, and to search for a specific motif book or motif page you need the full name of it.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, and I"ll add - please let gamepadui SCROLL the styles. Having to mash the D-pad for every style is a mess, especially when you need a style at the end of the list.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The style numbers don't show up in the crafting interface, so it would be a good change. So either make it alphabetical, or introduce those indexes in the menu. They only show up in the bank/bag/chest menu, so you can actually order pages, but that's not that useful. A bit off topic, but gear suffers from the same problem. Ex. some gear sets are named something like "gloves or X" and others are named "Y gloves", which makes finding them tricky, especially when you have a half dozen sets in your bag or bank. I wish they changed the naming to either one or the other.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my problem too, zos need to make it easier to navigate.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe use the same system as guild trader, type in the name and it takes you to the correct motif