Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

2h/dw builds

barbarian340
barbarian340
✭✭✭
i understand i'm gimping myself by not using a bow...but it just doesnt fit one of my characters...she is a huge nord with a 2h sword...it would look silly to have her pull out a bow...i tried, but it looks so silly it ruins my immersion...so i want to know how much behind is the dps of a 2h/dw build in pve (stamsorc)?

also do u know any good builds for it?
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are just not gimping yourself, you are making that character borderline useless as DPS. Stamina does not exist without bow.

Edit: This didn't age well, xD. You can even go Inferno staff back bar now and do the same damage.
    Edited by susmitds on November 25, 2019 3:20PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    You are just not gimping yourself, you are making that character borderline useless as DPS. Stamina does not exist without bow.

Im interested, when did you last try it?

To the OP; You're going to lose some damage. How much depends on how much you can already pull. Normal dungeons you can do naked. I'd bet 1,000,000 gold that a well built 2h/dw would break 20k, and I'd bet 50,000 it'd break 25k. With those numbers you're clear for any normal trial and vet dungeon I know of.

Again, you will be behind others with bow, but it depends on what you're looking to do.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately volley is an imbalanced ability and does a huge amount of damage, even more with the maelstrom bow, so you will lose a ton of dps going 2hand/dw.

If you really want to try it though, make sure to slot trap beast and caltrops, hurricane, deadly cloak, and twin slashes. Dps is all about the dots
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

To the OP; You're going to lose some damage. How much depends on how much you can already pull. Normal dungeons you can do naked. I'd bet 1,000,000 gold that a well built 2h/dw would break 20k, and I'd bet 50,000 it'd break 25k. With those numbers you're clear for any normal trial and vet dungeon I know of.

Again, you will be behind others with bow, but it depends on what you're looking to do.

Lol a one bar dw build in BiS gear will break 25k..... so what. 25k is an ultra low bar to set.
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    what is considered average dps, and what is considered good?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

Lol a one bar dw build in BiS gear will break 25k..... so what. 25k is an ultra low bar to set.

If every pug in a random normal or vet did 25k would you still complain?

Average among all of Tamriel? Probably 20-25k. Average among serious pvers? Closer to 30-35k. Average among the elite? 45-50 self buffed or so. Again, it depends on what you want. If you want to be picked for more hardcore teams doing trials for score? You might want to do things that don't fit your roleplay. Literally any other situation though, even vet progression, if you meet or exceed a damage threshold your group wants there shouldn't be any issues dropping some stuff.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's times and posts like these that make me realize I lucked out by wanting to make a Ranger/Inquisitor that uses a 2H and Bow.

I also realize that it's also perseverance on my end since I played 2H/Bow since this game started lol And as a Templar, no less XD

Also, you can rock 2H/DW, but keep in mind it'll be less but it'll still be passable in most fights if you know what you're doing.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not suggest OP's character would be borderline useless. On my tank I have a build for doing quests that is DW/S&B which would do much less DPS than DW/2H. I do not think OP is looking to do vet trials, especially progression, with this build but is just out to have run.

To OP, If you are just out to have fun questing about then have at it. You will kill stuff just fine. If you want to do vet dungeons I would consider grouping with your friends.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

my PvP 2H/DW build breaks 25k with all Impen armor if i swap a few skills around........
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

u can do DW/2H with all Divine trait, dont forget ur DoT, bring some Fighters Guild skills, and with zero LA-weaving u can do 25k, which is a good entry number for all NORMAL dungeon, trial, etc....

once u try vet version, u will start having issue with DLC dungeon, while base dungeons and trials are no problem. although a bit of LA-weaving will get u through 30k and make ur life easier.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried 2H/DW on the PTS and I really don't think it's very far behind other builds at all. I got 75k on the iron atronach on my Nightblade with an extremely sloppy rotation, which is about the same DPS as my best ranged bow/bow parse. It could probably go a lot higher with practice but it's not really my playstyle, I just tried it 3 times to see what would happen, and the DPS went up each time as I tightened the rotation.

dxwQu46.png

Bows do have the best dots, but they slow down your rotation if you weave light attacks and they have less weapon damage.

Build tested:
    I placed an infused berserker enchantment on the 2H greatsword and used skills 6 times on the bar to keep the weapon damage enchant buff going. The dual wield bar had Nirn Axe /Precise Dagger with crafted double poisons, 1 Rapid Strikes in the rotation kept the poison procced fairly well. There were plenty of DOTs to use: carve, rending slashes, deadly cloak, caltrops, rearming trap, dark shade.

PJQJ4dD.png

Overall I like the faster pace, but not the in-your-face requirement because a lot of bosses in this game tend to push you away with mechanics. Maybe giant brawler shields and deadly cloak mitigation can make up for it.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on June 19, 2019 4:28AM
  • SienneYviete
    SienneYviete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried 2H/DW on the PTS and I really don't think it's very far behind other builds at all. I got 75k on the iron atronach on my Nightblade with an extremely sloppy rotation, which is about the same DPS as my best ranged bow/bow parse. It could probably go a lot higher with practice but it's not really my playstyle, I just tried it 3 times to see what would happen, and the DPS went up each time as I tightened the rotation.

dxwQu46.png

Bows do have the best dots, but they slow down your rotation if you weave light attacks and they have less weapon damage.

Build tested:
    I placed an infused berserker enchantment on the 2H greatsword and used skills 6 times on the bar to keep the weapon damage enchant buff going. The dual wield bar had Nirn Axe /Precise Dagger with crafted double poisons, 1 Rapid Strikes in the rotation kept the poison procced fairly well. There were plenty of DOTs to use: carve, rending slashes, deadly cloak, caltrops, rearming trap, dark shade.

PJQJ4dD.png

Overall I like the faster pace, but not the in-your-face requirement because a lot of bosses in this game tend to push you away with mechanics. Maybe giant brawler shields and deadly cloak mitigation can make up for it.

You're also using absolute bis perfected trial sets which the op has no possible way of ever obtaining and you're also judging by your cmx probably an above average dps. While I applaud the creativity and your ability to show what the combination is capable of. In a raid environment or hm dlc dungeon it's not going to work but pve questing or normal trials and non hm dungeons it would be fine. Just as a comparison to your cmx running Dw and a maelstrom bow with this exact gear setup would net you around 20k+ extra on the same dummy.
    Delta
    Valheru's
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just as a comparison to your cmx running Dw and a maelstrom bow with this exact gear setup would net you around 20k+ extra on the same dummy.

I would be positively thrilled to hit another 20k with dual wield/bow. 95kdps! Wow, if only I could do that. But I can't, haven't gotten my Stamblade past 80k with BIS stuff.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

For you maybe. But for the vast majority of the player base, its pretty average and something to aim for.

So sick of elitist comments that ignore the fact average players DPS is in the range of 15 - 25k.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Bladerunner1 try using 2h as front bar, with either executioner or Killers blade, that will probably give you better DPS, the use master daggers/axes on your back bar, with deadly cloak.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on June 19, 2019 12:22PM
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i understand i'm gimping myself by not using a bow...but it just doesnt fit one of my characters...she is a huge nord with a 2h sword...it would look silly to have her pull out a bow...i tried, but it looks so silly it ruins my immersion...so i want to know how much behind is the dps of a 2h/dw build in pve (stamsorc)?

also do u know any good builds for it?

you do know that using a bow requires strenght? it's more immersion breaking if a smoll woodelf without muscles would use a bow :/

Klick here for more information
    Edited by HappyLittleTree on June 19, 2019 12:28PM
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of that is really interesting, I kind of want to replace my bow with Master DW and try that now.
    Stamsorc.
    I play 2H/bow, so for this kind of parse I would have to give up on the weapon damage enchant on back bar and replace it by like poison/disease, infused probably.
    And then, replace endless hail and poison injection by blood craze and deadly cloak.

I have a 110% crit multiplier in combat, 125% with warhorn, that would benefit the enchants.

I don't know about the final single target dps, but I would lose any ranged option besides my Storm Atro, and a loooot of AOE dps.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • kuma82
    kuma82
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t do any trials or vet content because I absolutely do not want to use bow either lol. I can pull 30k dps on my Stam dk without using any trial sets. I run an orc DW/2h, stormfist monster set, hundings rage set, and briarheart set. I use blue food, no pots, no ultimates. I can sustain the rotation using a heavy attack every rotation, using light attacks the rest. I use the crown store double dot poisons since I have so many. Backbar 2h enchant is poison enchant since I haven’t tried to redo it to weapon power. Only gold items are the weapons.

It can definitely be done, I don’t even do a perfect rotation but I definitely do my best without going nuts trying to be perfect. I would like to do Vdsa for master weapons to see if those do any better with the monster set taken out. Though I do lose some stam recovery which could make me need to do more heavy attacks.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Bladerunner1 try using 2h as front bar, with either executioner or Killers blade, that will probably give you better DPS, the use master daggers/axes on your back bar, with deadly cloak.

I gave that a try and it did up the dps of the bleed by about 1.2k, but I kept accidentally hitting shards procs on the wrong bar by mistake and missing the Lokke buff, I imagine it would lift dps if I could do it right.

I tried 2H/DW on the stam DK on the PTS and had much better luck than my nightblade. It's pretty much confined to melee range to make use of the whip stacks anyway, so I spent more time practicing it.

2W8lhWd.png

Again it's circular and very sloppy, I kept hitting the wrong skills, but the dps went up each time I practiced. No joke, this is more dps than I've ever gotten on any build. But I'm just now dipping my toe with stam DK after years of Nightblade.

8EOOpu0.png
    This is with Lokke infused 2H and Lokke Nirn/precise DW weapons, Lokke Jewelry, Relequen body, Kragh helm, Velidreth shoulder, Bosmer.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on June 21, 2019 1:15PM
  • Seenoevil
    Seenoevil
    ✭✭✭
    Hate this dps bull.... most players in this game will very rarely see high end vet trials for obtaining perfected versions... most groups capable of doing this are guild runs with a set team.

Dps isn't all about hitting that perfect target dummy score....you cant put a price on stupid....

A dead dps is no dps sorcs doing dummy rotations with no shield, stam with no vigor, idiots the lot of them..... what happens when that build makes it's way into vet scalecaller? and they just cant stop standing in stupid because to them it's about staying still and running a static rotation...either the healer gets to occupied picking you up or you lose dps regardless cos the other dd in there that actually moved out the red ring on the floor and didnt get 1 tapped has to pick ya up.

This game is has problems with balance and easy pve... zos's answer was to incorporate % phases in fights.veering more towards mechanics rather then your traditional tank and spank. High dps can actually make wiping easier in some content.....

Dont worry about your dps, any half decent build with good weaving is more then capable of clearing 99% of end game content.. focus on your weaving and keeping dots, hell I believe a 2h execute is actually more dps and cheaper then spin to win,
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seenoevil wrote: »
    Hate this dps bull.... most players in this game will very rarely see high end vet trials for obtaining perfected versions... most groups capable of doing this are guild runs with a set team.

Dps isn't all about hitting that perfect target dummy score....you cant put a price on stupid....

A dead dps is no dps sorcs doing dummy rotations with no shield, stam with no vigor, idiots the lot of them..... what happens when that build makes it's way into vet scalecaller? and they just cant stop standing in stupid because to them it's about staying still and running a static rotation...either the healer gets to occupied picking you up or you lose dps regardless cos the other dd in there that actually moved out the red ring on the floor and didnt get 1 tapped has to pick ya up.

This game is has problems with balance and easy pve... zos's answer was to incorporate % phases in fights.veering more towards mechanics rather then your traditional tank and spank. High dps can actually make wiping easier in some content.....

Dont worry about your dps, any half decent build with good weaving is more then capable of clearing 99% of end game content.. focus on your weaving and keeping dots, hell I believe a 2h execute is actually more dps and cheaper then spin to win,

I agree on the %based mechanics. On some recent boss fights, we have a lot of downtime, because we stand there doing nothing, holding back the damage because otherwise it's most likely a wipe.

I personally use my exact dungeon/trial build on dummy. They are for rotation, and rotation alone. No vigor because I have crit surge :p
    And yes, my rotation is static, because a dynamic rotation is fun on the paper, but when the world is in flame, it's harder to maintain while running around. (Yeah, I know you meant static as "staying still" :p)

I personally love the 2H execute. I don't really like DW, I feel very weak with it. I'd just say that people should play what they enjoy playing. 2H/DW is a valid option in my opinion. Since 40k dps is probably achievable on any weapon combination (non-hybrid...).
    It doesn't matter if one option does less damage than an other, you can always compensate with your skill.

PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Ripperi
    Ripperi
    Soul Shriven
    This thread is a bit old but didn't want to start a new one. So has 2h/dw builds been decimated with the Dragonhold update? I was getting somewhere with my stam dk in Scalebreaker with rele+deadly, but now I can't really figure out how to implement "poop rocks" with my rotation and the dots have been nerfed quite badly. I really enjoy the 2h and dw combination playstyle and can't work out any setups with bows that would suit me.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can be "good enough" without a bow. My stamDK does 25k+ (solo on a 6mil dummy) with 2h/dw.. in PvP gear. Not earth-shattering damage but good enough for all vet dungeons.

• MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ripperi wrote: »
    This thread is a bit old but didn't want to start a new one. So has 2h/dw builds been decimated with the Dragonhold update? I was getting somewhere with my stam dk in Scalebreaker with rele+deadly, but now I can't really figure out how to implement "poop rocks" with my rotation and the dots have been nerfed quite badly. I really enjoy the 2h and dw combination playstyle and can't work out any setups with bows that would suit me.

If anything I think they would be better in comparison (to the original comments in this thread, 2H/BOW and DW/BOW are still BIS). You just need a different set than deadly since DOTs are kind of meh.

Volley and Poison Injection are quite weak now. Volley is mainly for Berserker uptime which you can do easily with Stampede. Carve is also weak though. I'd maybe use something else if your looking to use 2 abilities back bar. A lot of people have removed Poison Injection too.

A lot of current meta is Direct damage from your execute/spammable, so in theory, DW/2H should actually be better than before (in regards to earlier comments made in this thread before Dragonhold).

The main hinderence is not being able to attack from range, but Stampede is a gap closer you activate every 10s so it's not a huge deal.

Finally, if you aren't doing end game content like Vet HM Trials, who cares. It's better to be alive, be aware of mechanics and have fun then to play something you don't want to play. Even if you get like 25k dps which easy enough to obtain in a pug group, people will praise you. At only 40k dps with some of my builds I'm 50-70% of the group dps and things fly bye.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on November 19, 2019 1:43AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Ripperi
    Ripperi
    Soul Shriven

If anything I think they would be better in comparison (to the original comments in this thread, 2H/BOW and DW/BOW are still BIS). You just need a different set than deadly since DOTs are kind of meh.

Volley and Poison Injection are quite weak now. Volley is mainly for Berserker uptime which you can do easily with Stampede. Carve is also weak though. I'd maybe use something else if your looking to use 2 abilities back bar. A lot of people have removed Poison Injection too.

A lot of current meta is Direct damage from your execute/spammable, so in theory, DW/2H should actually be better than before (in regards to earlier comments made in this thread before Dragonhold).

The main hinderence is not being able to attack from range, but Stampede is a gap closer you activate every 10s so it's not a huge deal.

Finally, if you aren't doing end game content like Vet HM Trials, who cares. It's better to be alive, be aware of mechanics and have fun then to play something you don't want to play. Even if you get like 25k dps which easy enough to obtain in a pug group, people will praise you. At only 40k dps with some of my builds I'm 50-70% of the group dps and things fly bye.

Yeah, I for myself don't really like spammable builds, they get really boring fast. Dots have been closer to heart always. I saw Xynodes Dragonhold stamdk build with dw/bow and he still used deadly, so it shouldn't be that bad since he did get quite high numbers.

I think I need to go back with pure dot build and just train more. I've gotten over 30k to 3m dummy but hacking those dummies is soo boring... :D
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I for myself don't really like spammable builds, they get really boring fast. Dots have been closer to heart always. I saw Xynodes Dragonhold stamdk build with dw/bow and he still used deadly, so it shouldn't be that bad since he did get quite high numbers.

I think I need to go back with pure dot build and just train more. I've gotten over 30k to 3m dummy but hacking those dummies is soo boring... :D

Yeah you can do that, my main point is Volley and Poison Injection aren't quite as strong as they were before when people said it was absolutely necessary to be competitive. Stampede + VMA 2H does probably around the same dps as Arrow Barrage + VMA Bow, while also providing max berserker uptime, just less aoe and you miss out on ranged attacks.

I honestly think it's quite fun zipping around pug dungeons, it would be a bit annoying for trials, but gap closing every group is fun and effective.

I wish they would reduce the noise of Deadly Cloak.. it proc'ing every second get's loud and annoying fast.

Shame though, Stam DK's with Bow backbar have a pretty nice rotation since a lot of your abilities are around 14/15s which lines up with Endless Hail and even Caltrops.. wish they would buff Caltrops a bit, shame to see everyone drop it after it's huge nerf like 3 patches ago.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stampede with vMA is da bomb. the DoT survived the DoT-purge-patch and on my heavy armor it's an always-crit, AoE burn, PLUS big single-target DoT.
  • Ripperi
    Ripperi
    Soul Shriven
    Davadin wrote: »
    stampede with vMA is da bomb. the DoT survived the DoT-purge-patch and on my heavy armor it's an always-crit, AoE burn, PLUS big single-target DoT.

That sounds like PvP. I'm thinking mostly PvE and there I've also been using vMA 2hander. Running with Deadly+Rele now with vMA weapons.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like PvP. I'm thinking mostly PvE and there I've also been using vMA 2hander. Running with Deadly+Rele now with vMA weapons.

both actually. PvP it's great. But PvE, it's still more single-target DPS than Carve, which is my other go-to DoT starter.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

both actually. PvP it's great. But PvE, it's still more single-target DPS than Carve, which is my other go-to DoT starter.

Heavy armor in pve with a 2h makes no sense. That is probably why the person you are repling to said that looks like a pvp build.