The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    What's the deal with Dark Flare?

I tried using it in Cyrodiil today, it barely works. It's more like a 3 second cast time, then sometimes it'd fire two projectiles at once. Is it unusable in Cyrodiil with lag?

Most if not all cast time / channeled skills are bad in lag and barely work.
    Edited by Akinos on November 10, 2019 2:37PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

I tried using it in Cyrodiil today, it barely works. It's more like a 3 second cast time, then sometimes it'd fire two projectiles at once. Is it unusable in Cyrodiil with lag?

Well that would explain why ultimates have been so buggy. Adding a cast time onto all ultimates broke them all.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

Well that would explain why ultimates have been so buggy. Adding a cast time onto all ultimates broke them all.

Yeah. They work when someone is sitting there fighting you with minimal lag. If it gets laggy at all and your target has any speed, or a different target moves in between; it doesn't work.

It's why speed is super useful right now. If you can even get a gap closer to go off, good luck following up.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got into a 1v2ed a couple of guys earlier and did a capture of it and watched. Noticed some mistakes even though I won, mostly with being to quick on dodge rolls and buffs taxing my resources, and I missed some purges even though my magicka was topped off and I think that has gotten me in trouble against better players. Changed up my UI and have been working on that. Think I made some headway later in the day with that so I think Im going to watch replays more.

Also going glass is fun when I am solo using LOS, but if I get into group play and need to stick in there with my group, the problem seems to be with lag and being bombed without reaction so I now have 2 loadouts.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I got into a 1v2ed a couple of guys earlier and did a capture of it and watched. Noticed some mistakes even though I won, mostly with being to quick on dodge rolls and buffs taxing my resources, and I missed some purges even though my magicka was topped off and I think that has gotten me in trouble against better players. Changed up my UI and have been working on that. Think I made some headway later in the day with that so I think Im going to watch replays more.

Also going glass is fun when I am solo using LOS, but if I get into group play and need to stick in there with my group, the problem seems to be with lag and being bombed without reaction so I now have 2 loadouts.

Honestly, every build can have good damage and resistance. There's no reason to go full glass imo unless you're a gank build. Im talking maxed resistance and 5k wpn dmg.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So for magplar, I put together a build but am not sure what skills to use.

My combo is: Purifying light -> Toppling -> Crescent -> Sweeps spam.

I feel I need a little more burst. I’m debating between elemental drain, Vampire’s Bane or Dark Flare. What’s the cookie cutter setup? If dark flare worked with lag it’d be perfect but that’s not the reality.

Oh another thing, I fought a stamplar and lost. The whole 1v1 seemed like an exercise in futility with us being able to cleanse ourselves and lag. Do people usually abandon that match up?

P.S. - what do you guys do about permanent blockers? I haven’t really found a good counter.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 11, 2019 6:19PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, I have another question for you guys related to BGs.

I typically back bar a resto staff and I’m having issues with new pvpers, especially sorcs, on my team.

Solo is no issue but so many new players don’t heal themselves. I’ll be in a situation where myself and a team mate are low health and all the healing I’m trying to do for myself goes to the glassy guy who’s never heard of self healing before.

I’ve switched to radiating regen to help a bit and use extended ritual, but since I’m only off healing I’m not sure what else to do. I’m used to magblade where everything’s either self or someone else so I can let the glassy guy die before he takes down the team. What do you guys do as a templar?
    Edited by Iskiab on November 13, 2019 6:07AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sometimes I turn away from my teammates so that HtD heals me specifically. It's a smart heal but you can take advantage of its directionality.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Sometimes I turn away from my teammates so that HtD heals me specifically. It's a smart heal but you can take advantage of its directionality.

Pretty much this. Good luck if you're surrounded by wounded friends but just look away from 1.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yea, this is a good tip. For most team mates it doesn’t bother me but for some reason aggressives sorcs do.

I HotD, they shield, so they live. Happened to me in one BG with one sorc three times who had no self healing. If I could have healed myself we’d have been okay, but healing him was such a waste of resources.

One more question, how many/any swift do you guys run? I’ve gotten run down while in mist form, I think one or two could be useful.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 13, 2019 1:48PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One more question, how many/any swift do you guys run? I’ve gotten run down while in mist form, I think one or two could be useful.

I would probably just expect to not be able to run from anything in an open field, since sorcerers and gapclosers exist. Especially since the 30% you get from mistform is less than the base 40% anyone gets from sprinting (RAT can be combined with sprint though).

IMO, take the 104 spelldam from infused (or arcane) over the 6% movement speed.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on November 13, 2019 4:36PM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would probably just expect to not be able to run from anything in an open field, since sorcerers and gapclosers exist. Especially since the 30% you get from mistform is less than the base 40% anyone gets from sprinting (RAT can be combined with sprint though).

I have moved back to the elusive mist + accelerating drain combo for this reason and lag. Seeing as how now sweeps are direct damage and toppling charge just constantly misses in high latency, accelerating drain has been my go to stun for Magplar now. The extra speed in mist form is noticeable too but more of a bonus then anything...

Build Atm: willpower/NMA/transutation/chudan/pirate skelly As expected, NMA is great on a magplar.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

I have moved back to the elusive mist + accelerating drain combo for this reason and lag. Seeing as how now sweeps are direct damage and toppling charge just constantly misses in high latency, accelerating drain has been my go to stun for Magplar now. The extra speed in mist form is noticeable too but more of a bonus then anything...

Build Atm: willpower/NMA/transutation/chudan/pirate skelly As expected, NMA is great on a magplar.

That’s similar to what I run. Any tips you can give on skill setup? Also can’t decide between Mist and RAT.

Haven’t had an issue with toppling not working, but I noticed you are targetable while flying through the air. A couple Sorcs just owned me hard by staying ranged and fraging me while in the air.

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=190702

Surprisingly DKs haven’t been an issue even though I’m a vamp. Haven’t taken down a good sorc yet.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 13, 2019 5:58PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone tried Bloodthorn this update?
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amberplasm gives the same resources but the 5set isn’t conditional. Bloodthorn’s niche is for builds that want to offensively blockcast, which is really limited to magDKs.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amberplasm gives the same resources but the 5set isn’t conditional. Bloodthorn’s niche is for builds that want to offensively blockcast, which is really limited to magDKs.

That’s not what I asked

Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s not what I asked

Well, ive been running Amberplasm and it works well. And bloodthorn is basically equivalent (only slightly outperformed) so bloodthorn is probably a perfectly fine set to use if you have it laying around.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s similar to what I run. Any tips you can give on skill setup? Also can’t decide between Mist and RAT.

Haven’t had an issue with toppling not working, but I noticed you are targetable while flying through the air. A couple Sorcs just owned me hard by staying ranged and fraging me while in the air.

Surprisingly DKs haven’t been an issue even though I’m a vamp. Haven’t taken down a good sorc yet.

Honestly with the way ppl have been zerging down solo players like myself, I’m currently running both RAT and mist form... mist to sprint saves me more then total dark or rapid regeneration.
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on November 13, 2019 11:22PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Honestly with the way ppl have been zerging down solo players like myself, I’m currently running both RAT and mist form... mist to sprint saves me more then total dark or rapid regeneration.

Same, I’ve been running around solo trying to learn the class. I’ve only met about 9 people solo, it’s mostly small or big groups. Small groups are doable but I’m too glassy to survive if there’s a sorc in the group, streak takes me down.

Pulled off a couple 1v2s, beat a couple DKs, beat a couple Stamblades, lost to 2 different sorcs (lost is an understatement, I got wrecked), lost to a magblade, stamplar and magnecro.

What’s the best strategy vs solo sorcs? I’m thinking I need living dark, then when the stun procs use toppling to close. I’m having issues even closing with them.

I’d try prisoner’s rags but streak hard counters sprinting doesn’t it?
    Edited by Iskiab on November 14, 2019 4:57AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I really liked that on my magplar. Seems redundant but it's really nice to have RAT offensively and mist when repositioning especially groups trying to chain and permafrost you into necro ults.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel I need a little more burst. I’m debating between elemental drain, Vampire’s Bane or Dark Flare. What’s the cookie cutter setup? If dark flare worked with lag it’d be perfect but that’s not the reality.

Oh another thing, I fought a stamplar and lost. The whole 1v1 seemed like an exercise in futility with us being able to cleanse ourselves and lag. Do people usually abandon that match up?

P.S. - what do you guys do about permanent blockers? I haven’t really found a good counter.

Hey, I'm a bit late to the party but:

I still like RL for ranged weaving, but I kite and use LOS a lot more than your average stand-your-ground templar - If you're up close and personal, I know the tick damage isn't great anymore, but Solar Barrage is click-and-go AOE damage and will also buff your weaves during your rotation - That might be a good option to try - I'd just *** about with all of them until you find one that suits.

Between cleanse and the heals, Stamplar fights can go on forever - I don't fight them much because it becomes a 25min resource fight and cba with that.

Permablockers you can safely ignore or just whittle down slowly.
    So, I have another question for you guys related to BGs.

I typically back bar a resto staff and I’m having issues with new pvpers, especially sorcs, on my team.

Solo is no issue but so many new players don’t heal themselves. I’ll be in a situation where myself and a team mate are low health and all the healing I’m trying to do for myself goes to the glassy guy who’s never heard of self healing before.

I’ve switched to radiating regen to help a bit and use extended ritual, but since I’m only off healing I’m not sure what else to do. I’m used to magblade where everything’s either self or someone else so I can let the glassy guy die before he takes down the team. What do you guys do as a templar?

I get the same thing with HtD, if I'm with inexperienced players, I'll turn my back to them to cast it so I get it - It's actually really annoying having to do that but it's at least an option with HtD.
    I don't know if it works with healing ward or whatever, though Radiating/Rapid should apply to you and 2 others - Saying that, I actually can't remember if it can target 3 others if there's 4 of you since I haven't used it in so long.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Masshypnosis
    What setup do you guys recommend for bgs and no cp cyro?
    At the moment im playing with: bright throat, buffer of the swift, shadowrend. Tristat bufffood, jewelery arcane with 3x spelldmg and mage mundus. I really want to play with the new tristat food but cant because its not a drink.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment im playing with: bright throat, buffer of the swift, shadowrend. Tristat bufffood, jewelery arcane with 3x spelldmg and mage mundus. I really want to play with the new tristat food but cant because its not a drink.

Drink wise you can use Spring-Loaded Infusion (Tri stat drink) or something like Witch-Mothers Potent Brew (H/M/Mag rev drink)

For BG's Buffer of the Swift is overkill but entirely your call, it's neither here nor there really. You can get away with more damage though if you wanted/needed it by replacing that.

Shadowrend is a single target duel set in my opinion. If you do a lot from range, Valkyn is good. Up close, Grothdarr is good. Bloodspawn is also alright but again, something I think is overkill for mitigation in BG's.

You can trait change your jewellery to Infused (more benefit from it in no-cp/Bg's, less in CP environments)

Build seems sound, I've ran BTB, Shackle, Valkyn since BTB came out and have had no issues in those environments whatsoever.

I'm non Vamp as well.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Masshypnosis
    BNOC wrote: »

Drink wise you can use Spring-Loaded Infusion (Tri stat drink) or something like Witch-Mothers Potent Brew (H/M/Mag rev drink)

For BG's Buffer of the Swift is overkill but entirely your call, it's neither here nor there really. You can get away with more damage though if you wanted/needed it by replacing that.

Shadowrend is a single target duel set in my opinion. If you do a lot from range, Valkyn is good. Up close, Grothdarr is good. Bloodspawn is also alright but again, something I think is overkill for mitigation in BG's.

You can trait change your jewellery to Infused (more benefit from it in no-cp/Bg's, less in CP environments)

Build seems sound, I've ran BTB, Shackle, Valkyn since BTB came out and have had no issues in those environments whatsoever.

I'm non Vamp as well.

Thanks for the advice, youre playing destro lightning staff + snb or restro staff?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Buffer’s good, Bright throat’s good. The best specs are one defensive, one sustain and one damage set so what you’re missing is a damage set.

Playing tankier’s a good way to learn. I’d add a damage monster set and definitely change mundus for the lover’s Mundus. You can use more tri-stat glyphs and use disastrously double Mara too. You’ll sometimes run out of stam but dying is learning so who cares.

I see a lot of specs with the mage mundus, am I missing something? Lover’s mundus is more damage, if you want to boost healing and damage the apprentice mundus is the way to go because of the Templar passive.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 14, 2019 1:04PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

I'm non Vamp as well.

Thanks for the advice, youre playing destro lightning staff + snb or restro staff?

I play Lightning front bar, Ice back bar but I've been a Temp a long time, if you're newer to the class I'd stay one of your suggestions.

I have just spent a while using Flame front bar but it was worse.

Also, to follow on from earlier:

I was going to list my traits etc but remembered I had a link so this is exactly what I've run for a while and still do - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=181728

Starting out, Iskiab's setup of 1 Def, 1 Atk, 1 Sustain is probably better, but this is a working build for no-CP, on Xbox EU at least
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/bnoc-sk/screenshots/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited if you want to see the kind of results it gets.

Edited by BNOC on November 14, 2019 1:49PM

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Masshypnosis

Buffer’s good, Bright throat’s good. The best specs are one defensive, one sustain and one damage set so what you’re missing is a damage set.

Playing tankier’s a good way to learn. I’d add a damage monster set and definitely change mundus for the lover’s Mundus. You can use more tri-stat glyphs and use disastrously double Mara too. You’ll sometimes run out of stam but dying is learning so who cares.

I see a lot of specs with the mage mundus, am I missing something? Lover’s mundus is more damage, if you want to boost healing and damage the apprentice mundus is the way to go because of the Templar passive.

Thank you for response, will farm grothdarr today for dmg. Im new at magplar thats why i cant decide. So 5/1/1 and all tristat? And snb for extra defense? What enchant on the backbar? I think you cant procc spell dmg glyph and is sustain an issue. Im breton and with buffer + bright + grothdarr with apprentice mundus and 3x infused spell dmg glyph when i transmute. The build creator says only 1100 mag recovery if im not wrong. Bufffood used was bloody mara.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for response, will farm grothdarr today for dmg. Im new at magplar thats why i cant decide. So 5/1/1 and all tristat? And snb for extra defense? What enchant on the backbar? I think you cant procc spell dmg glyph and is sustain an issue. Im breton and with buffer + bright + grothdarr with apprentice mundus and 3x infused spell dmg glyph when i transmute. The build creator says only 1100 mag recovery if im not wrong. Bufffood used was bloody mara.

I’m relatively new to templar as well so I’m still learning the ins and outs but I can tell you some things I’ve figured out.

Weapons are more of a playstyle thing then one being better then the other. Ice staff or Sword and Board on one bar is for block casting. When you’re under pressure hold block and cast abilities to reduce damage. This is especially important in duels/1v1 because blocking ultimates etc... halves their damage. I preferred an ice staff myself so blocking costs magicka because my stam pool was low. The Sword and Board ultimate is really good too and a reason some use sword and board, so if you use sword and board I’d grab it.

Myself my main was a magblade so I prefer speed and getting out of dodge when I’m in a bad situation. That plus in battlegrounds a lot of new players are self healing impaired so went with a resto staff back bar for radiating regen, and vampire for mist form to escape rather then try and block through damage.

Fire vs Lightning damage bar all comes down to whether you like fire heavy attacks or not. Fire heavy attacks sort of blow - cast time, people dodge them, etc... whereas lightning is a channel so can’t be dodged and is way better at returning magicka. I use fire because it’s more damage, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Whichever you try first you’ll get used to and probably like better.

Enchants are just for which status effect you like better. Fire for burning (meh), lightning to proc minor vulnerability (great) and ice to proc minor maim (great). Never tried an ice enchant but thinking about it now it’s probably good. Oblivion if you have poor penetration.

Back bar always a weapon damage enchant because it looks good on the character builder. In theory you can have good uptime on the proc, in practice you’ll forget. If you can remember, when defensive and healing throw a light attack out before switching to your front bar and being aggressive. Only light, heavy and weapon skills proc it so it’s harder for mag to use it well.

Your base mag regen might be 1100 but when you use a pot that gives magicka it gives you major intellect for 20% more mag regen. Two lines of mag regen should be enough, that’s what I use, then work on getting a good magicka pool.

I’ve never used grothdaar, it might be decent. If you don’t have it I’d try two 1 piece stats. Myself I use 1 piece armour stats and use the 2nd slot to complete 3 piece willpower for 200 spell damage.

Here's what I use in BGs, I turned off CPs so you can see for BGs. The loss of health from using witchmother's was noticible, being about 22k health or over was way better. For food in BGs I run whichever I had on before from doing something else - so witchmother’s if I was healing, Mara if dps, etc... I feel weakest if I use witchmother’s.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=190702
    Edited by Iskiab on November 15, 2019 2:31PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1100 is pretty hard to sustain without resto heavies and nearly perfect ele drain uptime (which is tough outside of duels). I’d bump it up to 1400 with Witchmother’s Potent Brew for general use, especially with S&B backbar.

As for a backbar enchant, 1hander enchants are generally terrible so I’d recommend shock enchant just for the high likelihood of applying the Concussed status effect. Also, put a pure magicka enchant on the shield, the extra max stam/HP from tri-glyph isn’t as useful when it’s single-barred.

Other than that, looks solid.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run between 1200 and 1300 base recovery in no cp, but that's on a breton in 5 light armor with resto back bar, ele drain and channeled focus.

You could use the Ghastly Eye Bowl as an alternative to Witchmother's but you'd need to invest a little more into health so you won't be instagibbed by a random nightblade with a bow.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube