The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

How likely are you to recommend Elder Scrolls Online?

Elsonso
Elsonso
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
How likely are you to recommend Elder Scrolls Online to a friend, partner or colleague?
PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus

How likely are you to recommend Elder Scrolls Online? 491 votes

1 - Not at all likely
11% 56 votes
2% 12 votes
5% 28 votes
3% 18 votes
5% 28 votes
4% 20 votes
6% 33 votes
12% 60 votes
7% 35 votes
10 - Extremely likely
40% 201 votes
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game has several issues, and despite the salt I often throw at it, it definately still is one of the best MMOs available right now. Great visuals, overall good storytelling and above average combat makes it a pretty strong contender.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% - best game ever.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most likely.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Absolutely would recommend, in fact, I do. Brilliant game even with its warts.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Eyro
    Eyro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im right in the middle. If they like Elders Scrolls and online games I would without a doubt. If they don’t like Elder Scrolls or online games, not so much.

I don’t think there is much here a non fan would want to spend time doing or learning.
    Edited by Eyro on April 21, 2018 5:28PM
  • kimaeril
    kimaeril
    ✭✭✭
    I love the game, bugs and all and I do recommend it to others.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s getting worse from a monetized standpoint so it’s hard to recommend. The other thing is it’s gone so far away from TES that it requires too much explanation to a TES fan to get them to understand it.....and then they say, ok so it’s like XYZ MMO using TES characters

Shrug....pointless
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually got a friend to join, and talked about it positively to two others, but I wouldn't recommend it with the enthusiasm I give single-players like VTMB or even Dishonored.

As an MMO, it's the best from what I've sampled and the only one that I've stuck with though.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do so regularly to my gamer friends.

It never sticks though, sadly. I’ve had several friends dip in, play a while, and on to the next game. I’ve played 5-6 games since the release of ESO, and keep coming back.

Most of my friends have played arround 30 games since then, and never commit to any of them.
    Esse quam videri.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    (1) Not likely.

It would have been an 8 before, but the ESO's direction is far too focused on the crown store/crown crates now. Once they turn their attention back to providing an enjoyable game experience rather than a cash shop with a game attached to it, I can recommend ESO to friends again.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Numerikuu
      Numerikuu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It’s getting worse from a monetized standpoint so it’s hard to recommend. The other thing is it’s gone so far away from TES that it requires too much explanation to a TES fan to get them to understand it.....and then they say, ok so it’s like XYZ MMO using TES characters

Shrug....pointless

Pretty much.
    • Recremen
      Recremen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No longer very likely. Every time a new season of gambling boxes comes out I shoot right back down to a 1.
      Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
      Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    • Danikat
      Danikat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I always find it hard to answer these because it depends on the person as much as the game.

I have a lot of friends I wouldn't recommend ESO to simply because I know they wouldn't understand it. A friend saw me on the ESO forum at work one day (on my lunch break), asked what it was about and when I said a game her reaction was "Oh ok, so is it like Candy Crush? Or more like Angry Birds?" That's her total knowledge of video games - little free mobile aps and I really didn't know how to go from that to explaining an MMORPG. (At the time I said it's kind of like Lord of the Rings, but you get to decide where to go and what to do...not entirely accurate but the best I could do. Now I could say it's like West World but inside a computer and with less creepy AI.)

I'd also be wary of recommending it to someone like my dad who is a gamer and has played RPGs but likes very structured games. He hated Minecraft because there was nothing to tell you where to go and what to do. He was a bit happier when I told him about the Ender Dragon because according to him that meant the game was about making tools to find and kill this dragon but still didn't like the lack of a clear path to do that. If he played ESO I can imagine he'd complete the main story and probably his alliances story then get lost or confused on the right order to do everything else and again end up frustrated.

Even with people who like MMOs it varies, because a lot of my MMO player friends I met through GW2 and some of them would hate the regularly increasing level cap and the need to grind certain areas over and over for BiS equipment.

But there's also other people I absolutely would (and have) recommend this game to. And some who already play it.
      Edited by Danikat on April 21, 2018 5:43PM
      PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    • Merenwen_812
      Merenwen_812
      ✭✭✭
      I still recommend ESO. I tell them of the load times(right now load screen is 2-5 min) and lag during events. I tell them of the hamsters that often get forgotten and not fed or watered so the servers go down. All in all it is great game to me. It has it's downs of course, but it is their choice to play even with the quirks. Edit to add, I also make sure they know that they push the crates and crowns, I mean that is their main source of income and profit so of course they will push that.
      Edited by Merenwen_812 on April 21, 2018 5:44PM
    • Delgent
      Delgent
      ✭✭✭
      Not too long ago I would have answered 8 or 9, but I went 3 because the monetization direction is starting to put me off from playing anymore. I already regret preordering SI. If I had waited a bit longer, some of the recent revelations would have kept me from ordering it for now.

I guess I'll get my $40 worth out of it, then make a decision. There's plenty out there for me to play and get my completionist fix that ESO can't satisfy anymore.
      To live for good is to die in the name of honor.
      SEEK AND DESTROY
    • Tholian1
      Tholian1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      In the middle. The biggest reason for that is the cash shop. I don’t mind micro transactions in games and I love to buy the fluff, but ZOS needs to learn what “micro” means when it comes to pricing things.
      PS4 Pro NA
    • MornaBaine
      MornaBaine
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I used to recommend this game. I've even bought it for friends. Now, I just can't. The predatory cash shop and gambling boxes, the endless grind and artificially low drop rates have leeched all the fun out of actually playing the game. In good conscience I cannot recommend a game sold by a company that preys on them instead of treating them like valued customers.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• AlienatedGoat
      AlienatedGoat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      1 - Not at all likely

Sadly, this is how I have to vote, given the state of the game.

I've lost a couple friends over having recommended the game, they play it and then they see the major issues plaguing the game and leave (and blame me for my recommendation and their waste of cash/time).
      Just some of the problems they've noted (and they're not wrong).
      • Gambling crates with RNG only items.
      • $100+ items in the cash shop.
      • Lack of quality content for PvP.
      • Lack of quality content for endgame PvE.
      • Extreme faceroll 90% of the game (Overland).
      • High server latency.
      • Well known bugs that persist for years.
      • FPS drops, FPS drops, FPS drops.
      • Really low FPS in any high load area like trials and Cyro.
      • Engine unoptimization on all fronts.

I can't responsibly recommend this.

I love this game. It breaks my heart.
      Edited by AlienatedGoat on April 21, 2018 6:34PM
      PC-NA Goat
    • DoctorESO
      DoctorESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      If you care enough to post here day in and day out, then deep down inside, you really do recommend this game 10/10.
    • MornaBaine
      MornaBaine
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Delgent wrote: »
      Not too long ago I would have answered 8 or 9, but I went 3 because the monetization direction is starting to put me off from playing anymore. I already regret preordering SI. If I had waited a bit longer, some of the recent revelations would have kept me from ordering it for now.

I guess I'll get my $40 worth out of it, then make a decision. There's plenty out there for me to play and get my completionist fix that ESO can't satisfy anymore.

I am right there with you. Unless there is a major change in direction with the cash shop and gamble boxes I foresee Summerset being my last purchase with this game. I've already dropped 2 of the 3 subs I used to maintain. I have the money to spend on this game ZOS...but you have to offer me products I want and stop insulting me. kthnx
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• AlienatedGoat
      AlienatedGoat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DoctorESO wrote: »
      If you care enough to post here day in and day out, then deep down inside, you really do recommend this game 10/10.

If they fix the issues I listed above, I'll heartily recommend it 10/10. Till then, I won't subject another friend to this mess and risk losing that friend.
      PC-NA Goat
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have no issues with the game, whether in terms of content, balance, performance or business model etc.

Some things I don't like, such as the trading system and crown crates, and so I have little to do with them. They're wholly insufficient to deter me from recommending the game to others.
    • Graydon
      Graydon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I would recommend this game with complete confidence to anyone asking.
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DoctorESO wrote: »

Posting here every day is like preaching to the choir. People who are already here don't need a recommendation. They already have had one. :smile:
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • Linaleah
      Linaleah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I picked 8, but mainly becasue i realize that not everything is everyone's cup of tea. I try my best not to over hype things for people. I did however recommend this game to multiple people I have met in other games and outside of them, just never framed it as "best thing since sliced bread"
      dirty worthless casual.
      Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
      Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    • leeux
      leeux
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Not likely at all... not due the game being bad, but to very unstable developers.

And because of that there's a high chance any new person that comes to the game will get to see the game be altered in ways that affect them negatively, and even if we (old players) can deal with destructive changes most of the time, I bet a new person that invested some time in getting into the game at early levels will get the short side of the stick and hate the changes, and transitively hate me for recommending them :)

So, not a chance of that happening, I like to keep my friends... well, friends :tongue:
      PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
      Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
      Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
      I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
      ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
      ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
      ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
      ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
      ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
    • Esha76
      Esha76
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I honestly don't know right now.

I got hooked on this game due to its aesthetics, writing, and characters. All those things are still there. I'd say it's worth a play through to check those things out. Some amazing work has gone into the content of this game.

However, I have lost the desire to support this company anymore due to the direction they are taking their monetization practices. I drew the line with the outfit slot pricing. Now this exclusive RNG box motif has crossed that line for me. And all this has soured me to the point I am no longer enjoying the aesthetics, writing, and characters.

With these new monetization decisions ZOS is making, I am seriously debating if even I will spend another dollar on this, let alone suggest another person to do so.
      "There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
      "I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
      "Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
      "Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
      "Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
      "There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
      "I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
      "I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
      "Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
      "When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
      "Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)
    • ilikepickles
      ilikepickles
      ✭✭✭
      I've harassed a lot of friends into playing. Most have been glad to keep playing.
    • Tabbycat
      Tabbycat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      It has it's flaws but it's better than a lot of MMO's out there (Including WoW since the current Blizzard dev team doesn't have a clue).
      Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
      0.016%
    • Juju_beans
      Juju_beans
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You also have to remember that a good number of folks that post in these forums have an axe to grind and that will be reflected in the poll numbers.
      Edited by Juju_beans on April 21, 2018 7:53PM